This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didnt the asguard just....

I was thinking recentally about the asgard and the episode i think new order where they said each ship carried many asgard consciousness's. I thought why don't they just copy the brain info into a new clone instead of just transfering it in to the body.

Also they kept taking a body and cloning a body causing them to deteriorate. Why didnt they just copy it and save it in the computers that way the asgard could keep living and they could just replace one of them when one died.

Just an idea about cloning and what not..i sense a plot hole
    This isn't Atlantis?
    I don't think so.
    If this is not the Lost City…then where is it?

SGU= Awesome Eli is so me =P

That's a good idea really.
    sigpic

Comment

I thought why don't they just copy the brain info into a new clone instead of just transfering it in to the body?

You cant really transfer brains into different bodies, it be like us transferring our brains into a kangaroos body.

Also they kept taking a body and cloning a body causing them to deteriorate. Why didnt they just copy it and save it in the computers that way the asgard could keep living and they could just replace one of them when one died.

To make the bodies, you must clone it. You cant just press a button and poof a body is already made in front of you.
      Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post

To make the bodies, you must clone it. You cant just press a button and poof a body is already made in front of you.
        Ya i guess you misunderstood me. I ment that they cloned a new body each time they died however they could just save the body in the computer and transfer the consciousness into that. That way the body's wouldn't deteriorate from being cloned over and over gain
        This isn't Atlantis?
        I don't think so.

Comment

Because they didn't.

Stargate mythology seems to relate to the power of the mind a lot, and that is how I see the Asgards Mysterious Virus. Something which was downloaded into their minds and regardless of what they did, it would end up killing them slowly. In the scheme of things, it could have come from a large group of Asgard tired of living and their minds created this virus which spread. See the theory of Technological Singularity, where it eventually decides the new thing to try is death.
          Disliked a recent episode?
          Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
          The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark lord me View Post
            I was thinking recentally about the asgard and the episode i think new order where they said each ship carried many asgard consciousness's. I thought why don't they just copy the brain info into a new clone instead of just transfering it in to the body.

Just an idea about cloning and what not..i sense a plot hole
            I have often wondered about this, it doesn't really make much sense, though perhaps when they started cloning they could only make them from old bodies and neglected to make a copy of their DNA, I mean a race as advanced as the asgard should be able to create stem cells with an exact copy of DNA. It's probably being used as one of those brilliant flawless plot (holes) devices.
            Best quotes ever:
            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
            Thor:I like the yellow ones
            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

This is similar to my original solution to the Asgard cloning problem.

Their issue seems to stem from the fact that whenever they clone a new body, they use DNA from the previous clone.
              If they simply kept a copy of DNA from the oldest clone they had and then used this DNA for all subsequent clones, then no further genetic degradation would occur.

With current Asgard cloning, using the DNA from the last copy, you get the following pattern:
              Clone A: Copy
              Clone B: Copy of a copy.
              Clone C: Copy of a copy of a copy.
              And so on...

By using the DNA from clone A everytime a new clone is created, you get the following pattern:
              Clone B: Copy of a copy
              Clone C: Copy of a copy
              And so on...

This wouldn't reverse the genetic degradation but it would prevent it from getting any worse.

We can only assume that there is some sort of unmentioned reason for them not doing this, most likely something to do with Plot Device Physics.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                This is similar to my original solution to the Asgard cloning problem.

Their issue seems to stem from the fact that whenever they clone a new body, they use DNA from the previous clone.
                If they simply kept a copy of DNA from the oldest clone they had and then used this DNA for all subsequent clones, then no further genetic degradation would occur.

With current Asgard cloning, using the DNA from the last copy, you get the following pattern:
                Clone B: Copy of a copy.
                Clone C: Copy of a copy of a copy.
                And so on...

By using the DNA from clone A everytime a new clone is created, you get the following pattern:
                Clone B: Copy of a copy
                Clone C: Copy of a copy
                And so on...

This wouldn't reverse the genetic degradation but it would prevent it from getting any worse.

We can only assume that there is some sort of unmentioned reason for them not doing this, most likely something to do with Plot Device Physics.
                Finally someone who gets what i was talking about. If they did this they wouldnt do the whole each new clone is weaker and weaker thing
                This isn't Atlantis?
                I don't think so.

Comment

I think this one comes down to the sheer size of an Asgard mind. Mind you, this is just a guess, but here's my thoughts:

With each new clone I believe they were twiddling with the DNA to add more space for new memories, without loosing the old ones. With each new body, their brain would get more compact, complex and more difficult to maintain.

This would reasonably explain their huge noggins and the "disease that would eventually kill them". There is only so far you can push biology. The choice of ending their lives was to prevent the inevitable loss of self that would occur with further cloning, as they could no longer expand their brains further and were just barely at the edge of losing themselves.

Perhaps this is a bit of a stretch of the facts stated in the show, but it works for me and rationalizes the plot holes away.

Something similar happened to a robot in one of Isaac Asimov's novels. Eventually his brain would fill to capacity, having lived a very long time (I believe it was ten thousand years for each body) and start to fail under the pressure of his memories, so he would design a new brain more complicated than the last and build himself a new body, his last act being to transfer a copy of himself into the new one.

Eventually he hit the final limit on how complex his brain could be and he sought other means to prolong his life just enough to finish his work.
                  Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Isnt there another thread like this? I am having a deja vu here

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42 View Post
                      I think this one comes down to the sheer size of an Asgard mind. Mind you, this is just a guess, but here's my thoughts:

With each new clone I believe they were twiddling with the DNA to add more space for new memories, without loosing the old ones. With each new body, their brain would get more compact, complex and more difficult to maintain.

This would reasonably explain their huge noggins and the "disease that would eventually kill them". There is only so far you can push biology. The choice of ending their lives was to prevent the inevitable loss of self that would occur with further cloning, as they could no longer expand their brains further and were just barely at the edge of losing themselves.

Perhaps this is a bit of a stretch of the facts stated in the show, but it works for me and rationalizes the plot holes away.

Something similar happened to a robot in one of Isaac Asimov's novels. Eventually his brain would fill to capacity, having lived a very long time (I believe it was ten thousand years for each body) and start to fail under the pressure of his memories, so he would design a new brain more complicated than the last and build himself a new body, his last act being to transfer a copy of himself into the new one.

Eventually he hit the final limit on how complex his brain could be and he sought other means to prolong his life just enough to finish his work.
                      To me if I had to choose between loosing a few memories and outright death I would probably choose loosing a few memories. Although we don't know to what extent they would loose memory, knowledge and brain function.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42 View Post

I disagree, if you look at the 'old' asgard in revelations it has a head that is equally as big as modern asgard, the modern ones are just much smaller. I think they did actually have a genetically degrading disease that they didn't want to die from so they killed themselves. I wish they could've transfered their minds into one of the older ones and ascended but that wasn't possible.
                        Best quotes ever:
                        O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                        Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                        Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                        Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                        Thor:I like the yellow ones
                        O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Working...
                        X