• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science and Technology - [Spoilers from AOT Movie]

WARNING - Stargate Arc of Truth Spoilers Ahead
    Proceed at your own risk!

Question 1
    Spoiler:
    My buddy showed me a video from the Arc of Truth, anyways, I noticed the Replicator that integrated itself into the IOA guy. Anyways, does that mean that regular replicators can cease control pretty much the same way as how Weir got infected in SGA?
    Subspace Energy Technology Thread
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Question 2
    Spoiler:
    In the past we used P90s to shoot at Replicators, only for them to go back to their original form. But why have we seen lately that when shooting the Replicators with P90s, they die?
    Subspace Energy Technology Thread
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post

Question 1
      Spoiler:
      My buddy showed me a video from the Arc of Truth, anyways, I noticed the Replicator that integrated itself into the IOA guy. Anyways, does that mean that regular replicators can cease control pretty much the same way as how Weir got infected in SGA?
      Not really, it was basically wearing the guy like a skin suit, with a probe inserted into his spinal column as well. Frankly it was a miracle that he was still alive at all.

Comment

Question 1
        Spoiler:
        Completely different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
          Not really, it was basically wearing the guy like a skin suit, with a probe inserted into his spinal column as well. Frankly it was a miracle that he was still alive at all.
          I dont think that is right, kinda.

Later, it sheds the skin and looks like a skeleton of replicator blocks. Terminator much? lol
          Visit my Website

Comment

Replicator bugs attached themselves to him and punctured into his spinal column and brain in order to manipulate his body. Their ultimate goal is to obtain the shutdown command (even though he doesn't know what it is). Mitchell was able to temporarily free the IOA guy's mind from their control by removing one of their appendages from his neck area. Would this be possible if they had completely replaced his skeleton? I doubt it.

After his body is destroyed, they most likely re-form themselves into the shape of a skeleton.

I'm not sure that even the Replicators could keep a human alive through a process of removing his skeleton and replacing it with one made of Replicator blocks. They probably wouldn't even consider that an efficient use of resources.

Comment

it was a regular replicater that infested him. after the guy died it turned into a skeleton, dont know why.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                it was a regular replicater that infested him. after the guy died it turned into a skeleton, dont know why.
                I think there was more than one that were making him stronger, you can hear them when he moved. The might have been in the form of a skeleton because thats the shape they took to enhance the body. I hope that came across as it sounds in my mind, it's still early
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

now youve said that, i think they didnt replace his skeleton but rather formed a small layer of blocks on it. this would take over his neural system. then it would turn the skeleton to repliblocks and he woud have a replicater skeleton.

Comment

Question 2
                    Spoiler:
                    In the past we used P90s to shoot at Replicators, only for them to go back to their original form. But why have we seen lately that when shooting the Replicators with P90s, they die?
                    The CGI wasn't finished, they just disappeared. And usually it takes time for them to reform when there are alot of blocks nearby.

When SG1 first shot one, it was alone and it regenerated almost instantly. But when there are alot of blocks, they have to finc the blocks from the unit to reassemble themselves

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                      The CGI wasn't finished, they just disappeared. And usually it takes time for them to reform when there are alot of blocks nearby.

When SG1 first shot one, it was alone and it regenerated almost instantly. But when there are alot of blocks, they have to finc the blocks from the unit to reassemble themselves
                      I don't think we've really seen the Replicators reassembling since Nemesis.
                      My thoughts on this is that the Nemesis Replicators were made of Asgard materials which allowed them to rejoin after being separated.
                      Pretty much all subsequent Replicators we have seen have been made out of inferior materials (Russian Sub, Hatak, Odyssey) so maybe these materials don't retain energy in the same way as the original Nemesis Replicators, therefore there is not enough energy for them to come together after being shot.

And yes, they did just disappear after being shot so the CGI isn't done yet. When I saw this while watching AoT, it made me realise the above.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                        My thoughts on this is that the Nemesis Replicators were made of Asgard materials which allowed them to rejoin after being separated.
                        Pretty much all subsequent Replicators we have seen have been made out of inferior materials (Russian Sub, Hatak, Odyssey) so maybe these materials don't retain energy in the same way as the original Nemesis Replicators, therefore there is not enough energy for them to come together after being shot.

And yes, they did just disappear after being shot so the CGI isn't done yet. When I saw this while watching AoT, it made me realise the above.
                        Perhaps the inferior materials also are less resilient to being hit. They could be damaged by the p90s rounds and can't reform because they have been damaged. Just an idea, I'm aware it has it's limitations.
                        Best quotes ever:
                        O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                        Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                        Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                        Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                        Thor:I like the yellow ones
                        O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post

You have a point but I always thought that they got rid of the reassambling just for sake of ease for SG- like how the Jaffa became easier to kill instead of being impossibly hard like in "Children Of The Gods".

But yeah, it could be that the purple-colored Asgard metals are the only ones able to reconsturct themselves. The gray colored Earth and Goa'uld metals cannot.

Vala,

Comment

The AOT I saw only had one scene w/replicators that didn't have complete CGI. The blocks do just fall apart and stay there. I suppose the SGC could have developed new, more explosive bullets that damage the replicator blocks more, but in reality they simply toned down there strength like they did with Jaffa.

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                              You have a point but I always thought that they got rid of the reassambling just for sake of ease for SG- like how the Jaffa became easier to kill instead of being impossibly hard like in "Children Of The Gods".

But yeah, it could be that the purple-colored Asgard metals are the only ones able to reconsturct themselves. The gray colored Earth and Goa'uld metals cannot.

Vala,
                              It is very much possible SG teams/guards used soft point or FMJ ammo in the first few eps, after they figured the jaffa wear body armor they switched to armor-piercing, making the jaffa seem weak.

Comment

Working...
                              X