PDA

View Full Version : Goa'uld tech = Ancient tech?

Daniel Jackson
October 10th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Could the Goa'uld ships, staff weapons, and so forth be ancient Ancient technology, perhaps before they began building Stargates and so forth? We've seen the same control crystals in both Goa'uld ships and Ancient devices. We also see the same "curvy lines" on the Stargates, Ancient technology, and Goa'uld ships, staff weapons, and so forth.

So, could the pyramid ships and technology that the Goa'uld use actually be Ancient technology abandoned after the Stargate network was setup?

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 08:17 PM
It makes sense. The Goa'uld steal everything else Ancient.

DownFallAngel
October 10th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Seeing as how the Goa'uld stole everything they did, or built anything they built upon a stolen idea, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff weapons and what not have ties back to the Ancients.

The drives and gates are definately Ancients, because Atlantis had to have drives inorder to get it to PG, but they were powered by the ZPMs.

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Seeing as how the Goa'uld stole everything they did, or built anything they built upon a stolen idea, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff weapons and what not have ties back to the Ancients.

The drives and gates are definately Ancients, because Atlantis had to have drives inorder to get it to PG, but they were powered by the ZPMs.
Exactly what I just said :P

Ancient 1
October 10th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Could the Goa'uld ships, staff weapons, and so forth be ancient Ancient technology, perhaps before they began building Stargates and so forth? We've seen the same control crystals in both Goa'uld ships and Ancient devices. We also see the same "curvy lines" on the Stargates, Ancient technology, and Goa'uld ships, staff weapons, and so forth.

So, could the pyramid ships and technology that the Goa'uld use actually be Ancient technology abandoned after the Stargate network was setup?
I know I'm not the only one who's said ths before, but in the thread I first mentioned it in, I was a very minority opinion. It was a thread far, far away, and a long time ago.

Ugly Pig
October 11th, 2004, 10:04 AM
I don't think every exact item the Goa'uld use was invented by other races. But based on their technology, certainly.

Tyr
October 11th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Do you not need the Ancient Gene to work Ancient tech?

If so then the Go'ault tech would be based on, not neccessarily the original, Ancient tech unless every host & Jaffa has the ancient gene which is highly unlikely

MartoufMarty
October 11th, 2004, 11:10 AM

If so then the Go'ault tech would be based on, not neccessarily the original, Ancient tech unless every host & Jaffa has the ancient gene which is highly unlikely
Yes.

And Goa'uld probably fuzted around with it and bybassed the whole 'Ancient' gene thing.

But maybe that's why some Goa'uld stuff needs Naquadah. The hand device, the healing device and such...

aschen
October 11th, 2004, 11:14 AM
It would seem to me that the Goa'uld truely are parasitic in everyway. They stole technology from the Ancients and TRIED to steal Tollan technology. :nod:

Ugly Pig
October 11th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Not generally, no. Many Ancient devices can be used by anyone. From what we have seen so far, it looks like only tech that connects with the users mind needs the user to have the Ancient gene.

Ancient 1
October 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM
It's possible that a lot of Goa'uld tech is derived from primative Ancient tech, but not necessarily all of it...or any of it except for what Anubis was able to assimilate.

Ugly Pig
October 13th, 2004, 06:11 AM
It's possible that a lot of Goa'uld tech is derived from primative Ancient tech, but not necessarily all of it...or any of it except for what Anubis was able to assimilate.
At the very least, we know that ring transporters were used by the Ancients millions of years before the Goa'uld were around.

rmbeast
October 13th, 2004, 06:34 AM
I guess that that could be the cause of the Goa'Uld tech but I doubt it.

Ugly Pig
October 13th, 2004, 06:46 AM
I guess that that could be the cause of the Goa'Uld tech but I doubt it.
If they could steal the rings and the stargate, they could steal other Ancient tech.

LordMartin
October 13th, 2004, 07:24 AM

The Goa'uld TelTec (sp?) found/aquired the sarcophocis technology from the ancients. He modified it to use less power, to accomidate human bodies.

If a Goa'uld takes a human host that has "The Gene", does that then enable the Goa'uld to use their technology as well? Probably not, but it's a thought.

airfro
October 13th, 2004, 07:54 AM
has anyone else noticed that ra had the most ancients tech ( eye of ra, the tablet and the most military power) what if ras host had the ancients gene?

Ugly Pig
October 13th, 2004, 08:39 AM
has anyone else noticed that ra had the most ancients tech ( eye of ra, the tablet and the most military power) what if ras host had the ancients gene?
His host was ten thousand years old. I'm not sure the Ancient gene was around back then. Isn't it a very recent step in human evolution?

auir999
October 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM
yeah some of the stuff they have is based off ancient tech, but i seariously doubt everything is. Not to mention if those ships where ancient Ancient ships. They must be pretty dam old.

Ancient 1
October 15th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Not necessarily. On their newest tech, yes, but on some of the older Ancient tech they probably hadn't developed that particular necessity. Rememeber, they had to devleop as a race and make advances too. they weren't just born with everything that we see they had.

My head is swimming after that reply. Does it still make any sense?

Tyr
October 15th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Not necessarily. On their newest tech, yes, but on some of the older Ancient tech they probably hadn't developed that particular necessity. Rememeber, they had to devleop as a race and make advances too. they weren't just born with everything that we see they had.

My head is swimming after that reply. Does it still make any sense?

yeah i get ya. with older tech they were still mega advanced but hadnt developed the gene marker tech. therefore only their later tech built near the end of their advancement had the gene marker incorporated.

i just figured that with each new advance the whole civilisation updated their tech sort of like VCR - DVD now-a-days. that probably happened but the stuff they saw as at the end of its possible development (eg the rings), or tech used not only by the ancients, therefore needing universal access to all, (eg the stargate system) will have been left as it was, again sort of like hi-fi these days. if it aint broke dont fix it/super advance it

hope that last bit made sense :D

SP90
October 16th, 2004, 01:12 PM
His host was ten thousand years old. I'm not sure the Ancient gene was around back then. Isn't it a very recent step in human evolution?

I thought the Ancient gene was passed down from the Ancients that actually fled back to Earth after they were defeated by the Wraiths in the Pegasus galaxy.

Ugly Pig
October 16th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I thought the Ancient gene was passed down from the Ancients that actually fled back to Earth after they were defeated by the Wraiths in the Pegasus galaxy.
Small 'Fragile Balance'/'Rising' I don't know... McKay said it was a random characteristic. And Thor said that Jack represented a significant step forward on the human evolutionary chain. (Okay - no-one has explicitly said that Jack has the Ancient gene, but since he can operate Ancient tech it would seem to be the case. And I'm sure we can all put two and two together.)

Ancient 1
October 17th, 2004, 03:16 PM
yeah i get ya. with older tech they were still mega advanced but hadnt developed the gene marker tech. therefore only their later tech built near the end of their advancement had the gene marker incorporated.

i just figured that with each new advance the whole civilisation updated their tech sort of like VCR - DVD now-a-days. that probably happened but the stuff they saw as at the end of its possible development (eg the rings), or tech used not only by the ancients, therefore needing universal access to all, (eg the stargate system) will have been left as it was, again sort of like hi-fi these days. if it aint broke dont fix it/super advance it

hope that last bit made sense :D
You really do get it! ;)

NoobTau'ri
September 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=Daniel Jackson;151464]Could the Goa'uld ships, staff weapons, and so forth be ancient Ancient technology, perhaps before they began building Stargates and so forth? We've seen the same control crystals in both Goa'uld ships and Ancient devices. We also see the same "curvy lines" on the Stargates, Ancient technology, and Goa'uld ships, staff weapons, and so forth.

No, what the Goa'uld had were extremely basic forms of early Ancient technologies. A good example was the ring transporter. This is a technology that the Ancients had for 50 million years. To the Ancients, it was a "primitive" technology. They also had very early version of
Ancient hyper-drives, which were much slower than the best Ancient and even Asgard hyper-drives.

The Goa'uld basically copied the little technology the Ancients left when they left for Pegasus 10 million years ago. They have the more primitive Ancient technology, such as basic hyper-drives, energy weapons and ring trasporters. What they do not have are the most cutting-edge Ancient tech, like stargates, time-dilation field technology, Dakara super-weapons, drone weapons(an extremely advanced form of energy wepon that is a hybrid of a telepathic life form with pure energy), materializers, replicator technology and ZPMs, which involve being able to manufacture an entire universe with it's own laws of thermodynamics by manipulating singularities and negative energy, and represents the crowning jewel of Ancient technology that left even the Asgard speachless. However, it is amazing that the Ancients already had a basic form of hyper-drive even 50 million years ago.:cool:

YanBrassard
September 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM
The Goa'uld steal everything they see and if they can't have it, they destroy it. The Goa'uld are intelligent. I mean that they have some knowledges that they didn't steal. Before saying that they are gods, the Goa'uld were already able to visit other planets and they were aslo able to go in hyperdrive. It's possible that Goa'uld technologies are from Ancien technologies (except for the new technologies that they stole from other races) but there's also some technologies who were completly developped by Goa'uld. They are thiefts but they are able to create new technologies too.

For exemple, the Tok'ra tunnels. I mean, it is possible that Goa'uld technologies are from Ancients but it's also possible that they are really from the Goa'uld.

Gibsnag
September 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Small 'Fragile Balance'/'Rising' I don't know... McKay said it was a random characteristic. And Thor said that Jack represented a significant step forward on the human evolutionary chain. (Okay - no-one has explicitly said that Jack has the Ancient gene, but since he can operate Ancient tech it would seem to be the case. And I'm sure we can all put two and two together.)

I was under the impression that Jack's evolutionary step was to do with his brain capacity, that he was able to store as much of the Ancient's Repository of knowledge as he did and find a way to get rid of it before he died.

Some humans in the Pegasus galaxy also have the Ancient gene (The Tower)... so I'd assume its just part of the human genetic pool that the Ancients seed wherever they go.

wise one
September 21st, 2007, 01:00 AM
its possible when the ancients arrived back in the milkyway and seeded life again and then ascended is when perhaps the gouald took its first host and went through the stargate and stumbled on some left behind tech from the anceints...

tainor
September 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Actually, Ra was the very first Go'uld to visit Earth millenias ago, around 10,000 yrs ago. He took a human host back then. Around this time the Alterans/Lanteans came back from PG beaten by the wraith. Stumbled upon a race that had weapons capable of destroying them, some ascended and some stayed back to live as normal people and die. Since the ancients had no ships or any other form of weapons to defend themselves they had to play it safe and either ascend or live under the rule of Ra. Most of Go'uld tech was the tech that the Alterans left behind 10 million yrs ago when they left for PG so this tech was very old and crude compared to Lantean tech which was left in PG. Some speculate that some Lanteans made it to other parts of the Universe like Andromeda, Orion and other galaxies. It would make sense the Ancients were explorers and survivors they would not let themselves dieout or perish by the hands of infirior race. But here we have also to consider that just like in PG the Go'Uld were to many to be defeated by the Lanteans who were the last survivors of Atlantis. So lets hope some made it to ther parts of the Universe and see them in the 3rd Stargate show. btw does anyone know why was The Four Great Races Alliance found? What was the purpose of it?

hatakuser
September 22nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
What gets me is-They had Atlantis-Why not fly it home-It had 3 zpms and a few drones. About not having any ships what about puddlejumpers and any ships travelling home under they're own power?????????They couldn't win so they left they're fully operational city ship behind. WTF were they thinking??????????

wise one
September 22nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Actually, Ra was the very first Go'uld to visit Earth millenias ago, around 10,000 yrs ago. He took a human host back then. Around this time the Alterans/Lanteans came back from PG beaten by the wraith. Stumbled upon a race that had weapons capable of destroying them, some ascended and some stayed back to live as normal people and die. Since the ancients had no ships or any other form of weapons to defend themselves they had to play it safe and either ascend or live under the rule of Ra. Most of Go'uld tech was the tech that the Alterans left behind 10 million yrs ago when they left for PG so this tech was very old and crude compared to Lantean tech which was left in PG. Some speculate that some Lanteans made it to other parts of the Universe like Andromeda, Orion and other galaxies. It would make sense the Ancients were explorers and survivors they would not let themselves dieout or perish by the hands of infirior race. But here we have also to consider that just like in PG the Go'Uld were to many to be defeated by the Lanteans who were the last survivors of Atlantis. So lets hope some made it to ther parts of the Universe and see them in the 3rd Stargate show. btw does anyone know why was The Four Great Races Alliance found? What was the purpose of it?

well that might be wrong to me, when they came back, they had a drone chair to protect them and they all span out living their own lifes to ancient stuff like biulding a time machine and zpm,s like the one camulus found...and the goauld didnt come to power then(to me they didnt)

and the replicators were given the asgard a problem since reese was created possible by an ancient, so ancients would been still around doing stuff and reseeding life since the plauge struck.

NoobTau'ri
September 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
What gets me is-They had Atlantis-Why not fly it home-It had 3 zpms and a few drones.

Exactly. Go figure!

hatakuser
September 22nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Then we have 1 Puddlejumper Totalling a Ha'Tak with 1 Drone-in a Harry Maybourne episode when they found a time jumper-I think Aries owned the Ha'Tak

Jimbo-DR
September 22nd, 2007, 11:12 AM

I'm sorry, I've NEVER heard that interpretation before. Did you find that somewhere or are you just speculating?

Ripple in Space
September 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry, I've NEVER heard that interpretation before. Did you find that somewhere or are you just speculating?

Actually tainor's theory directly contradicts the past 3 years of the franchise.

Lord batchi ball
September 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Actually tainor's theory directly contradicts the past 3 years of the franchise.

How does it directly contradict the past three years?

The timeline is off but that is it.

Instead of the Ancients coming back 10 million years ago they came back 10,000 years.

The Go'uld could have been in power in the Galaxy or they could just be taking power and we do not know if the Ancients came through the gate in Anartica or Egypt, my money woud be on the one in Anartica since the Go'uld never knew about it and the Ancients are able to withstand very cold temps then this way the Gould would never know they went through the gate.
Also the Anartic gate might have been the primary gate from Atlantis of the two (makes sense) and now that it was destroyed the duty shifts to the one found in Egypt.

tainor
September 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Am not sure how my theory contradicts your views of the show, but you are right that the Ancient had the chair but they had no way to make ZPMs its not like they can magically make them appear. I bet their only way to make ZPM was on Atlantis as the chair in Antarctica was the OUTPOST of Atlantis, and the Outpost was very small couple of rooms as we sow in in the ep when the drones were fired against Anubis ship, and Atlantis ep1. So no ZPM no chair, no chair no drones.
They might have used the gate to travel to other worlds and come back from Atlantis as it was the primary Gate on Earth back then and the only one Atlantis coul've connected to the MW, the gate in Egypt was brought by Ra himself as he came to Earth by ship he did not knew of the Antarctica gate only the Ancients did. So about Reese I always thought of it as some crazy Lantean scientist going back to MW after the nanites were prove useless so he went back to MW to perfect it lol. I'm not sure on this one but if they screwed once with the Reps I don't think they would have tried it again.
Also we know that some of the ancients decide to live the rest of their lives on Earth with the humans. The rest ascended and as I'm hoping some left for other parts of the Universe close by galaxies. So I still do not understand how my theory contradicts Stargate as we know it?

ablevins425
September 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Again, like most of my responses I could be wrong, but I think that it is just coincidental. I think that when the show first came out and going back to the movie that the Goa'uld were probably going to be the gatebuilders. As the show developed someone came up with a story of an all powerful race that pre-dated the Goa'uld. But as far as a story behind why they are simalar you are probably onto something.

_Famrir_
June 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
the goauld tech is extremely similar to ancient teck\h.
EX: rings crystals staff weapons

Also speculating that ori tech is similar to ancient tech. there are magor similarities between the two.
both gave staff weapons both use energy directs weapons on ships (secondary on ori ships) and both of them have similar markings and architecture on their ships. And all have some form of neural interface in their dangerous weapons

Mclean
July 4th, 2008, 06:43 AM

All of the above are Goa'uld designs. Just because the Goa'uld are scavengers doesn't mean they are completely stupid. The technology is probabely from a number of civilisations including the Ancients but the eventual designs will be unique to the designs created by the Goa'uld.

Also if the Ancients can build ships to travel from their own galaxy to the Milky Way why would they build Hat'aks?

And they probabley just integrated the crystal control technology into their designs because it is an extremely effective power source. Earth has done it with the Prometheus.

And as for the ''curvy lines'' they would have added them to their weapons and ships to copy the Stargate as they tell their worshipers that that is the source of their power so would want the design to be on all of there technology.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 4th, 2008, 06:54 AM
No. Ancient tech is not based on naquadah. And the Ancients did not have anything that even resembled pyramids.

Mclean
July 4th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Its not that the Goa'uld were capable of destroying the Lanteans it was because the Lanteans had been at war with the Wraith for thousands of years and had no interest in fighting a new one. Most wanted to ascend or live out the rest of their life in peace and quiet without the hassle of war.

And the Four Races Alliance was founded after the Lanteans returned from Pegasus and met up with the Asgard, Nox and the Furlings. And we know they built ships when they came back as the Puddle Jumper used to destroy Ares and travel back to ancient Egypt (Moebius) was built by the Ancient Janus who also built one in Atlantis that was seen in the ''Before I Sleep'' episode. So he must have built one when he returned to the Milky Way.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 4th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Its not that the Goa'uld were capable of destroying the Lanteans it was because the Lanteans had been at war with the Wraith for thousands of years and had no interest in fighting a new one. Most wanted to ascend or live out the rest of their life in peace and quiet without the hassle of war.

And the Four Races Alliance was founded after the Lanteans returned from Pegasus and met up with the Asgard, Nox and the Furlings. And we know they built ships when they came back as the Puddle Jumper used to destroy Ares and travel back to ancient Egypt (Moebius) was built by the Ancient Janis who also built one in Atlantis that was seen in the ''Before I Sleep'' episode. So he must have built one when he returned to the Milky Way.

I don't think Ra found Earth 10,000 years ago. I think the Alliance of Four Races coincided with the rise of the Goauld in the galaxy. Before they found Earth. Now, I think near the end of the alliance, when the Ancients decided to ascend, they created the repositories, which were protected from the goauld. I think after the Ancients ascended, Ra found earth, copied the naquadah designs. But the Goauld based their tech off naquadah. Then, the other three races of the alliance tried to combat the goauld. The Goauld were relatively weak regardless, but powerful enough to challenge the alliance, minus the Asgard and Ancients. The Asgard were probably just beginning their war with the replicators, so they couldn't assist. The Nox would have gone into hiding, but the Furlings might have fought, until they gave it all up.

I think the main reason why this is debated is because in the original movie, the stargate was supposed to be goauld technology. And in the show, the goauld were able to reproduce the ring technology, and use it in conjunction with their own. (in fact, it would have been better if the rings were in fact Goauld tech, and not Ancient tech. It would explain why the goauld have so many, and why they claimed the Stargates as their own technology. Besides, the only ones beside the gaould who use the ring technology are the Ori)

Mclean
August 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
No. Ancient tech is not based on naquadah. And the Ancients did not have anything that even resembled pyramids.

Carter says there is naquadah in the Stargates! Like when Anubis used the Stargate destroyer on Earths Stargate she said the naquadah in the Stargate would cause a massive explosion followed by a global catastrophe in weeks!

caesar_sg1
August 31st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Carter says there is naquadah in the Stargates! Like when Anubis used the Stargate destroyer on Earths Stargate she said the naquadah in the Stargate would cause a massive explosion followed by a global catastrophe in weeks!

also we dont know what the hulls of the aurora class ships are made out of.
they could be made out of naquadah

also there must be naquadah in the pegasus galaxy for them to make stargates
unless the newer versions of them are made out of something else that is super conductive

Zalenka
September 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
May be everyone got technology from the Ancients as everyone had a Stargate.

I don't see the Goa'uld's tech to be based solely on that of the Ancients. They don't seem that similar. The Ancients didn't use massive Naquadah reactors or something similar to the eyes (which the Goa'uld must of stolen or else they'd of built more)

I always like to think that they got their tech from the Furlings who were niave enough to trust them.