Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't we make Ancient-type shields?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't we make Ancient-type shields?

Before I get to my point, I would like to ask a few questions.

In the Antarctic Outpost, there is a set of rings. On Taonas, it is exactally the same. So why did they have to break through the stone dome to ring down? Couldn't the beam of just went to the rings down there?

Ok, back to the point.

On Taonas, the atmosphere is toxic. But Jack sat in the chair and cleaned the air in the chair room via raising a shield. So the outposts have shields, like Atlantis does..
    So why didn't we just recreate the Ancient shields we found on the outposts? Wait, don't tell me. It got sucked into the supermassave plothole, like the ringplatform on Tanoas did?

Wow

Go Green

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post

In the Antarctic Outpost, there is a set of rings. On Taonas, it is exactally the same. So why did they have to break through the stone dome to ring down? Couldn't the beam of just went to the rings down there?

Ok, back to the point.

On Taonas, the atmosphere is toxic. But Jack sat in the chair and cleaned the air in the chair room via raising a shield. So the outposts have shields, like Atlantis does..
    So why didn't we just recreate the Ancient shields we found on the outposts? Wait, don't tell me. It got sucked into the supermassave plothole, like the ringplatform on Tanoas did?

Wow
    In "Lost City", Carter says that the transmission beam is unable to penetrate the mile of ice above the Antarctic platform. No idea on the Taonas one, though, you're right.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

They melt the mile of ice so the beam can go down. Then they are transfered to the ancient rings. The cargo ship rings didn't go a mile

Go Green

Comment

They melt the mile of ice so the beam can go down. Then they are transfered to the ancient rings. The cargo ship rings didn't go a mile
        You don't have to send down your rings if there's a set already waiting for you. They weren't sure if the outpost was going to have any (Taonas didn't, and I'm assuming that's why they had to break the rock and go down that way), so they needed to melt the mile of ice in case they needed to do it the old-fashioned way.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

We dont have ancient shielding because they're way too advanced to give us now, and we probably would not have been able to reverse engineer them.

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

Ok, back to the point.

Wow
            Good idea! Next, we should replace Berlin with a copy of Atlantis.

Com'on pantsies! It shouldn't be that hard.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
              Good idea! Next, we should replace Berlin with a copy of Atlantis.

Com'on pantsies! It shouldn't be that hard.
              Im guessing that its the amount of power u can crank into them that make them soo uber. Remember Deadalous with a zpm vs wo?

Comment

The molten rock probably made some interference so we had to break the rock dome. The shields are probably way to advanced, and we have no way to directly power them, it seems that we would need an excess of power to meet the power need of that shield under strain. (we probably make just enough energy that we need for the time, there fore haveing shields take directly from powersource would lead the rest of the ship power deficient
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                  Im guessing that its the amount of power u can crank into them that make them soo uber. Remember Deadalous with a zpm vs wo?
                  Oh yes, I remember. Even with a ZPM, the trinium based hull was starting to peel off.
                  I also note that the lantian shields are the only type I've seen able to remain active in hyperspace.

Really, giving Earth all the big toys is both stupid and only going to kill the show.
                  They already did it with Asgard tech, and that sucked.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Maybe the rings were damaged or broken.

Vala,

Comment

Just want to say, better question is, why did we have to go through rock and ice to get to rings when in Avalon we just went through the side of a city (glastenbury) with no effort.
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

Perhaps the rings needed to be activated before they could be used. Good point about going down a mile under Glastonbury, it could have something to do with the properties of ice.
                        Best quotes ever:
                        O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                        Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                        Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                        Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                        Thor:I like the yellow ones
                        O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Ok, back to the point.

Wow
                          i reason power, power and POWER

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                          Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                            Just want to say, better question is, why did we have to go through rock and ice to get to rings when in Avalon we just went through the side of a city (glastenbury) with no effort.
                            Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                            Perhaps the rings needed to be activated before they could be used. Good point about going down a mile under Glastonbury, it could have something to do with the properties of ice.
                            We locked onto rings there, but didn't even attempt to do so at Tanoas or Antartica

Go Green

Comment

but even when rings lock there is still a transmition beam, we see it in space all the time.
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                              X