This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Made Zats? Minor Spoilers for "Miller's Crossing"

I don't know how to use Spoiler tags so if you don't want to know, don't read this thread!

That being said, when Meredith and his sister tried to escape I thought I saw them get shot by what looked like Zat blasts comming from a gun that resembled an earth made handgun like a beretta. Am I wrong, or have earth scientists backwards engineered the Zat?
    Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
    I don't know how to use Spoiler tags so if you don't want to know, don't read this thread!

That being said, when Meredith and his sister tried to escape I thought I saw them get shot by what looked like Zat blasts comming from a gun that resembled an earth made handgun like a beretta. Am I wrong, or have earth scientists backwards engineered the Zat?
    Yeah, when I saw that the first thing I thought was 'Whoa sweet, they made their own zat!"

Comment

Looked like tazers to me... just with the FX of a zat!

Comment

It was an advanced long-range taser of the kind that already exist in the real world and look like this:

They shoot small wireless darts that deliver a high-voltage shock on impact. The range is about 100-150 meters.

Somebody please post a screen caption from "Miller's crossing" for comparison.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          It was an advanced long-range taser of the kind that already exist in the real world and look like this:

They shoot small wireless darts that deliver a high-voltage shock on impact. The range is about 100-150 meters.

Somebody please post a screen caption from "Miller's crossing" for comparison.
          he's right, their tazers.

Comment

Hmmm.. I did't know that it was possible to have a wireless tazer.

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
              Hmmm.. I did't know that it was possible to have a wireless tazer.
              spaeking of which, i always wondered, how does one maek a wireless tazer?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                spaeking of which, i always wondered, how does one maek a wireless tazer?
                Well, the main problem with the taser is air resistance- to zap someone at range you need to create a channel of conductive material between you and the target. The easiest way is to use a wire, but there are several other ways:

1)Some tasers shoot a stream of electrically conductive gel at the target and use it to deliver the electric shock.

2)Electrolasers use a laser beam to ionize the air and create an electrically conductive plasma channel, through which they then deliver an electrical charge.

3)The taser in the picture shoots a dart loaded with a piezoelectrical mixture and a very small explosive charge. The charge detonates on impact, and the explosion compresses the mixture, generating an electrical charge.

4)The dart itself, provided it's big enough, may contain it's own power source that will generate an electrical charge of sufficient power to stun a person. There exist prototypes of such darts that can be launched by a 12 gauge shotgun and can keep the victim stunned for 20 seconds from the moment of impact.
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Are you sure about that taser in your picture Womble? It looks like an "ordinary" taser M26 without the cartridge, painted in camo.

The Taser XREP is wireless though it's fired from a 12-gauge shotgun: http://www.taser.com/products/law/Pages/XREP.aspx

It's not unlikely with a mini naquadah battery one could minituarise those into a gun.

Edit:

Best caps I could get:

Looks somewhat more like a glock than a taser, leaning towards the projectile rather than gun theory.

Comment

I would like to think its an earth made zat, but i doubt it

Comment

i think it was one of the last episodes of season one atlantis, but there was one where caldwell was taken over by a goa'uld and sheppard shot him with one of those ranged tazer. i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Elitie View Post
                        i think it was one of the last episodes of season one atlantis, but there was one where caldwell was taken over by a goa'uld and sheppard shot him with one of those ranged tazer. i think.
                        He used a regular old taser on caldwell, projectile fired with a wire leading back to the gun. It was shown in prev. eps that the Goa'uld can be pushed back with severe electrical shock allowing the host to come forward for a few words. thats how they got caldwell to give the code without having the symbiote removed yet,
                        LANDRY: You’re just mad you didn’t get to fly the maiden voyage yourself.

: General, I am quite fond of both maidens and voyages. I mean, put the two together and ...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                          2)Electrolasers use a laser beam to ionize the air and create an electrically conductive plasma channel, through which they then deliver an electrical charge.
                          I've always had my own personal theory that this was how the Goa'uld did it with the Zat. Perhaps this is a new type of Zat Tazer being devloped by Tazer for the Millitary using tech backwards engineered from the Zat

5 seconds later....

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

I still don't see how a taser could produce all that sparkly glowy sparks and still be non-lethal though

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                              I still don't see how a taser could produce all that sparkly glowy sparks and still be non-lethal though
                              a zat doe sthat and doesn't kill, those are eye candy stop complaining

Comment

Working...
                              X