PDA

View Full Version : These outcast replicators without ZPMs

Bimmer33
December 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Dr. Keller said they couldn't get their hands on multiple ZPM without the others knowing.

How can these replicators construct an entire city but not ZPMs? Surely they must have the knowledge.

Jill_Ion
December 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I think it depends upon how their collective knowledge is stored and distributed. Maybe they weren't part of the ZPM creation group?

Good question.

PG15
December 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Knowing how to do it and having the means to do it are 2 different things.

2ndgenerationalteran
December 10th, 2007, 10:20 PM
proves that the ZPM creating machine is separate from the Ancient city ship designs.

g.o.d
December 10th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I still want to see ZPM creation lab. Do you think it's a device similar to Merlin's device in Quest pt.2 ?It would make sense. ZPM and Holy grail are basically same devices

SaberBlade
December 10th, 2007, 11:40 PM
proves that the ZPM creating machine is separate from the Ancient city ship designs.

That's a good point. If they had created a fully operational and identical version of Atlantis then they should have had ZPM creating facilities if they are part of Atlantis.

But that said, they used so much power creating the RepliClones (which proved they had ZPM's to begin with) it's possible that Atlantis itself was incomplete. It could have been just a shell for the most part with just a few key areas actually created (similar to Hathor's SGC base). It could be explained that they never created the ZPM facility thanks a lack of foresight or that powering the machine to create them just used up too much power.

Avenger
December 10th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Dr. Keller said they couldn't get their hands on multiple ZPM without the others knowing.

How can these replicators construct an entire city but not ZPMs? Surely they must have the knowledge.

They might not have built the city themselves. It seems far more likely that they took it when nobody was looking or something like that.

Not_Fazed
December 11th, 2007, 12:15 AM
They might not have built the city themselves. It seems far more likely that they took it when nobody was looking or something like that.

lol, it's a flying city! not a cupcake.

I would have been perfectly happy if they had just said something like...

"We didn't anticipate how much power if would require for your creation we also did not have the necessary time and materials to construct further ZPM's"

Heaven
December 11th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I think the most reasonable explanation is that it takes time to create ZPMs
for all we know constructing an artificial region of subspace could take a year or even a decade

wise one
December 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM
keller said something like that if they had zpm's, mckay craetion required too much of it and they was worried the other asurans would detect or alert their power outputs or something like that

Lord batchi ball
December 11th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Your probably rught but that makes no sense.

IMO it's like taking a trip in your car to the middle of nowhere and you only bring what gas is in your tank. There is no room for error.

2ndgenerationalteran
December 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
well they probably have the ZPM creation lab world on speed dial, (lol i made a funny)

ashman2
December 13th, 2007, 05:30 AM

That's a brilliant point actually, I hadn't thought of that

ashman2
December 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Your probably rught but that makes no sense.

IMO it's like taking a trip in your car to the middle of nowhere and you only bring what gas is in your tank. There is no room for error.

It makes sense depending on how they are created. Perhaps they are created by setting off a massive explosion and then harbouring the power from it. I don't know, but what I mean is, if an explosion is involved, or some kind of destructive force, then it makes sense to keep it the hell away from the city.

Sorry, eventually I'll get around to multi-quoting!

Ranlier
December 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think that the ZPM itself takes a VERY long time to create, somewhere on the order of fifty to a hundred years.

It explains why the Ancients had to abandon their city- they were burning power faster than they produce it. The desperately dangerous Project Arcturus also supports this point.

It also stands to reason that the cause of the Asurans' having so many damn ZPMs is that they've been stockpiling them for THOUSANDS of years, and that this was part of Oberoth's "we will deal with them in our own time". Without generational death or a constant enemy, it makes sense to a robot mind to let the Wraith weaken over time while you create a metric ****load of ZPMs.

Incidentally, this means that the Replicators may eventually run low on their stockpile, weakening them substantially and bringing them to a realistically beatable level (rather than Stormtrooper Syndrome a la "Mortal Coil")

Most of all, this would prevent the writers from EVER having to hand over a ZPM factory to the Expedition: even if there was one in Atlantis itself, they would never be able to produce even a single one in a significant frame.

Its a simple explanation for both past and possible future phenomena.

Jill_Ion
December 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Oooooh, that is very good, Ranlier. :)

I like how your explanation works. It answers several logic questions.

Ranlier
December 15th, 2007, 08:02 AM
The weirdest part is that the whole idea centers on one credible and simple premise.

Hey, Joe Malozzi, if you're reading this I work cheap!

Mitchell82
December 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I think the most reasonable explanation is that it takes time to create ZPMs
for all we know constructing an artificial region of subspace could take a year or even a decade

And power. THey used alot of it creating the duplicates that and they don't have the means to do it.

Amalthea
December 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM
They also might have thought they had more time to make more ZPMs before the other Replicators found them, assuming they had the capacity. I definitely think we need more ZPM answers, though.

Why Carson? Why?
December 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I definitely think we need more ZPM answers, though.

^^^ yeah same here but i'm guessing the're trying to write in so that they don't give an easy win to able to have multiple zpms just lying around btw love th theory ranlier. :jack_new_anime07:

x303
December 16th, 2007, 12:44 PM
ranlier that was a good explanation i find it annoying when ppl jus like to nitpik and not use there imaginations or memory.

do we actually know how long it takes to make a zpm or the difficulties involved with math n materials but i rekon they shud address in some way, wud b a great addition to the ongoing storyline. guessin they either haven't thoguht about it. or its gunna b apart of another plot, or trying not to write themselves into a corner. who knows hopefully we find out or get told!

Kaizor
December 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM
ranlier that was a good explanation i find it annoying when ppl jus like to nitpik and not use there imaginations or memory.

do we actually know how long it takes to make a zpm or the difficulties involved with math n materials but i rekon they shud address in some way, wud b a great addition to the ongoing storyline. guessin they either haven't thoguht about it. or its gunna b apart of another plot, or trying not to write themselves into a corner. who knows hopefully we find out or get told!

If I remember correctly they said had one, but they used up all their power creating duplicate team.

jds1982
December 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
ZPM and Holy grail are basically same devices

How do you figure?

air200d
December 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
ranlier has a good point but we have to think, why would the most advanced civilization use a power source that takes that long to create. ;)

PG15
December 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Because it's worth it. :D

Gate-builder
December 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM
How do you figure?

The Asgard in Camelot explained that the Sangreal was similar to a ZPM but instead of using its energy to power Ancient technology, it directed it into the dimension or plane or whatever that is inhabited by ascended beings, resulting in them being wiped from existence.

jds1982
December 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
The Asgard in Camelot explained that the Sangreal was similar to a ZPM but instead of using its energy to power Ancient technology, it directed it into the dimension or plane or whatever that is inhabited by ascended beings, resulting in them being wiped from existence.

Ah, well there ya go.

freyr's mother
December 18th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Or proves that there was never one to begin with. They were probably created by hand because of how few there are in the galaxy. With the exception being the replicators.

Mitchell82
December 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Or proves that there was never one to begin with. They were probably created by hand because of how few there are in the galaxy. With the exception being the replicators.

Hmm possible. Most likely it was a simple thing for the Ancients to do.

Not_Fazed
December 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM

lol, I can imagine it clearly now...

"Thanks for purchasing your new ZPM airfix kit. Now, you are going to need some modeling glue, plenty of patience and some sharp scissors (handle them carefully). For best results please assemble your ZPM in a room with good lighting and plenty of vacum energy. WARNING: Kit includes small parts and exotic particles not suitable for children and other universes."

Yep my current best reason for the lack of ZPM's is because they are actually just so bloody boring to assemble.

Mitchell82
December 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
lol, I can imagine it clearly now...

"Thanks for purchasing your new ZPM airfix kit. Now, you are going to need some modeling glue, plenty of patience and some sharp scissors (handle them carefully). For best results please assemble your ZPM in a room with good lighting and plenty of vacum energy. WARNING: Kit includes small parts and exotic particles not suitable for children and other universes."

Yep my current best reason for the lack of ZPM's is because they are actually just so bloody boring to assemble.

:lol: