PDA

View Full Version : Music Score for "This Mortal Coil"

Briangate78
December 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Well as a musician I notice the little things about the music and whatnot. I thought the music score for this episode was done very well. It really set the mood to what was happening. Between, the character moments, escaping from the replicators, and Sheppard and Mckay watching the tracker track all those Aurora class ships. Really set the mood the music.

Any Thoughts?

Platschu
December 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I really like the melody, when Weir appeared on screen. It was a new version of "Messages", so a reference to Rising, when she left the video note for her boyfriend. ;)

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
December 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
okay what do you say aBout the music. i like the music when John Sheppard and Rodney Mckay see elizabeth for the first time and they look surprised to see them this was before the commerical break. that was the saddest music score i ever heard.

Avenger
December 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM
There was a throwback to the original SG theme as well that caught me ear.

Jumper_One
December 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM
yeah the music was great, I also mentioned that in my ep review. Joel Goldsmith did an awesome job!

PG15
December 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
It was FABULOUS.

I love the mechanical clinks and clangs heard throughout the episode, as a slight derivation of the original Replicator theme. I love choral music, so that was a plus too. The whole audio background during the fake-team scenes was different from the usual, smoother themes, and really added an alien/haunted house kind of feeling that I absolutely loved.

Joel did good. He did very good.

Ugly Pig
December 9th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Is it just me, or has the music in general this year been kicked up a notch in comparison to previous seasons? It just seems there are more actual... melodies now in the score, action scenes and all...

P2J
December 9th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Is it just me, or has the music in general this year been kicked up a notch in comparison to previous seasons? It just seems there are more actual... melodies now in the score, action scenes and all...

well maybe joe told Joel to try harder thsi year

g.o.d
December 9th, 2007, 04:33 AM
it was absolutly amazing. I really liked it, especially in the end. It was like in Avalon2 when prior takes Daniel and Vala from that village

Briangate78
December 9th, 2007, 08:15 AM
it was absolutly amazing. I really liked it, especially in the end. It was like in Avalon2 when prior takes Daniel and Vala from that village

It's amazing how powerful music can be in an episode when it's done really well. It truly sets the mood. When Weir appears on the monitor and you hear that music while Weir is trying to explain she is not the real Weir. You can feel the sadness with Sheppard and Mckay along with the music. I'll watch this ep over and over and will likely get that same feeling. :)

jelgate
December 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I usually don't pay attention to the music score but I heard this week. That means the music is really bad or really good. Luckly, it was the latter

Briangate78
December 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I usually don't pay attention to the music score but I heard this week. That means the music is really bad or really good. Luckly, it was the latter

Someone said above, the music this season has been really good. It really adds to the episode.

g.o.d
December 9th, 2007, 10:15 AM
music is the only thing which is good in season 4

Briangate78
December 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
music is the only thing which is good in season 4

Ouch! :S

g.o.d
December 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Ouch! :S

sorry, but it's what I think

Briangate78
December 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM
sorry, but it's what I think

No it's cool, everyone has a right to their opinion. I was just a little surprised by your reply, no biggie. :)

Ugly Pig
December 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM
well maybe joe told Joel to try harder thsi year

Or maybe he just has more time to make the music better now that he has to score 20 eps rather than 40.

Briangate78
December 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Or maybe he just has more time to make the music better now that he has to score 20 eps rather than 40.

Quality over Quantity right? :p

MIZA
December 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM
yeah i always thought the music for Atlantis is excellent, you should check out Jerry Goldsmith website

Jumper_One
December 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
yeah i always thought the music for Atlantis is excellent, you should check out Jerry Goldsmith website

actually it's Joel Goldsmith ;)

Ezi_May
December 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM
My favorite thing on his site is "The Evolution of the Atlantis Main Theme"

I wish we could have soundtracks for every episode, especially this season. I love the music from SGA.

TDgamer
December 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM
At the very least, they need to put out a seasonal soundtrack. More than just the pilot score.

Mister Oragahn
December 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Well as a musician I notice the little things about the music and whatnot. I thought the music score for this episode was done very well. It really set the mood to what was happening. Between, the character moments, escaping from the replicators, and Sheppard and Mckay watching the tracker track all those Aurora class ships. Really set the mood the music.

Any Thoughts?

Globally, like most SF shows, the score is boring. Safe that in that episode, there's a been a few notes that did sound well, more researched than the rest.

It doesn't last long, something like two seconds, but it is easy to notice.

Reminds of the day they used the new tune in Fallen/Homecoming (when Jackson's speaking with Jonas through an air duct).

Trek_Girl42
December 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I haven't noticed the music on Atlantis a great deal in the past- but I have this season. It's been really lovely, and I have to agree that there needs to be a soundtrack at some point with all this on it. :)