Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to admit it, since I like Carter better than Weir, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Classic View Post
    I guess I have to go watch it again, but was there even any mention of why Carter was totally absent from This Mortal Coil? Was Shepperd supposed to be in charge?
    Classic
    no mention of sam.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
      If your not familiar with my stance on Carter leading the Expedition... I like Carter better than Weir in general, but I was hoping for Carter to be recurring, and not a star of Atlantis.

I don't think there's any denying at this point that Weir has much better chemistry with the Atlantis cast than Carter does. "This Mortal Coil" really made that abundantly clear.
      Thank you! It's good to see this kind of comment from someone who's not Weir fan.

The fact that they got rid of her makes me think one of two things:

They honestly don't watch the finished product and have no clue who has chemistry with whom, or there's something going on behind the scenes, and someone in power has it in for Torri.

Nobody who's actually seen her playing off the other cast members, especially Joe and David, can think that Amanda has better chemistry with this cast.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        give it time, guys. sam's not even been in all the 10 eps of this first half.

of course, it's if you *want* to give her a chance...

sally
        Some of us gave her ten years. We're not going to miraculously love her just because she's on Atlantis.

You've said yourself, over and over, that you're new to this show. Why don't you get your hands on seasons 1, 2 and 3, really watch them without wishing Carter was in them, and look at Torri's performance.

As has been stated already, chemistry isn't created. It's there or it's not. You can see when you see her with the cast why Joe Flanigan keeps saying he misses her.

Comment

In Atlantis S4, we've not had Carter...we've had a cardboard cut-out that looks like Amanda Tapping cos TPTB brought her over with no plan as to what to actually do with her, and have givn AT woefully little to work with.
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

so is this basically just another anti sam thread? can't it be merged with the other super duper anti sam and she causes cancer thread?

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

so is this basically just another anti sam thread? can't it be merged with the other super duper anti sam and she causes cancer thread?

sally
              You do not understand how many of the original Atlantis fans feel.

You've admitted this is a new show for you. You are not as invested as a lot of us are. How would you feel if Sam had been killed off in season four so she could be replaced by some other character who you thought had had her time?

Look at it from that perspective.

Comment

I don't think it's Anti-Sam...most people here said they like Sam, just more on SG-1. For me, I love Sam and Amanda Tapping, personally, but I also love Weir. And for me, the core of Atlantis is about Atlantis--protecting the city, saving it from Wraith and Replicators, etc. Yes, they explored, but not like SG-1 did. So Weir's role was different for me than a Hammond or Landry character. She was like the center of that city, and seeing someone else come in, even a character I like as much as I like Sam, felt strange. And tonight's episode shows why it worked with Weir at the helm, just like every SG-1 rerun reminds me of how much Sam's role has changed from one show to the next.

I'm not sure if I like it. I know AT can do a great job, but they haven't given her much to work with, yet. The most excited I've been about Sam was seeing her in Reunion wielding the P-90 in the hunt for Ronan. I thought she was going to get to do more of that.

But I do miss Weir, too, and well, if I enjoy the drama or humor of SGA as much as the techno-battles, that's just me. I do see it there--its a great show, and all sci-fi FX all the time has never interested me. Characters interest me, and SGA has a ton of really great, multilayered ones.
                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Chemistry can be there from the start, or it can be developed. Carter has yet to have any significant screen time except for Seer. That's one episode and small parts of others versus 60+ that Weir has been in. It's not a fair comparison. If you really want a fair comparison, go back and look at the first couple of episodes and season one and see what kind of chemistry the cast had, then come back and make a fair comparison.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                    weir didn't interact with anyone but sheppard.
                    True and it just felt awkward and forced. So far Carter has a great dynamic with Sheppard and I've always loved her interaction with Rodney.

Whatever chemistry Weir had with the team in the past wasn't apparant in TMC.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                      True and it just felt awkward and forced. So far Carter has a great dynamic with Sheppard and I've always loved her interaction with Rodney.

We all know your ship preferences, and the fact that you hate Weir, so your opinion isn't really unexpected, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
                        Thank you! It's good to see this kind of comment from someone who's not Weir fan.

The fact that they got rid of her makes me think one of two things:

They honestly don't watch the finished product and have no clue who has chemistry with whom, or there's something going on behind the scenes, and someone in power has it in for Torri.

Nobody who's actually seen her playing off the other cast members, especially Joe and David, can think that Amanda has better chemistry with this cast.
                        It's not that I'm not a Weir fan, it's that I see Carter of ole' (SG-1 S8-10) as a more well utilized, well rounded character.

I'm not sure why Weir has better chemistry with the cast than Carter. The whole McKay character was built upon David's great chemistry with Amanda, but it hasn't come through at all this season. Obviously the talent is there, but for some reason the direction isn't allowing it. And I don't see her & Shep having anywhere near the level of chemistry he had with Weir. That's also surprising, since in SG-1 Sam got along well with wise-cracking Jack...

Originally posted by bluealien View Post

You can't possibly be serious. IMO, this was the best episode of the series, everyone brought their "A" game. Torri wasn't a standout, but that's just because they were all excellent. Well, aside from Kavan & Jewel, but I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be monotone, since ya know, robots, lol.
                        sigpic
                        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                        ~David Hewlett

Comment

i agree.. that weir-shepperd have a really good chemistry.. something that carter-shepperd still don't have.. because carter in atlantis isn't even carter.. just an image like someone mention.. we all see her as a strong military/scientist woman who loved to shoot at the enemy, blow up a sun, play with time, and many other crazy things.. but in atlantis.. all we see so far is you have the go.. its like jack all over again in season 8.. but at least there was already familiarity and chemistry within the group that made it bareable..

and like someone else mention.. the carter-mckay chemistry.. hasn't even been used.. and no.. few bickering doesn't even compare to past events.

IMO i rather they had kept weir a regular... and have carter as an advisor.. that way she could be herself. go on missions.. and compete against mckay.. to blow something up.. and plus i would think carter and weir would have had good chemistry together. where weir have had seek advises from carter.. and this is where carters experiences would really come in handy..

Really though...carter is really really useless in atlantis.. and so far i have seen nothing that she can provide that no other ordinary people can do.. and one more thing.. we seriously need her short military cut back.. her long hair is really wrong for her character....

Comment

I am having mixed feelings about this ep. I was looking forward to it because I thought with Weir being there, it would be a big ep with lots of the asurans and maybe Weir turning out to be this half good half bad character, who is being forced to over run Atlantis to destroy them. What they did was okay. I found the ep rather boring. I also wondered why the commander of Atlantis was not there. This was a major happening, and Carter is..... gone? They should have at least mentioned something like she went to earth because she was called away for a meeting and left Sheppard in charge. Oh well. I liked this ep, but I did not like it. Hoping the next has that bang I was looking for.

Comment

give it time, guys. sam's not even been in all the 10 eps of this first half.

of course, it's if you *want* to give her a chance...

sally
                              But Weir didn't need 10 episodes for a chemistry to develop. She made one right away between Sheppard and herself in the first episode.

I hate to say this but Carter would have been better as leader of SG-1 instead of Mitchell. I like Carter and she deserves to be the leader of SG-1 more so than Mitchell. She has proven herself, Mitchell gets to be leader cos he flew a F-302?? Hello, Carter saved the planet several times, flew F-302s, flew the Prometheus, saved other races asses so many times for the past 10 years. Mitchell is a joke.

Weir has that ability to be that Atlantis leader. The whole Atlantis characters have connection to Weir and this episode highlighted how even with Weir showing up in one episode and it made this episode felt so good and so right.

Carter so far I feel has no chemistry with anyone. She's trying with Sheppard but still no connection there.

Comment

The big problem is that Carter has been missing too many times to get the character to gel properly with the other characters. She will only be missing from two episodes in the 2nd half of the season. That may help to improve things.

Comment

Working...
                                X