This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article on "Get in the Gate" winner

SciFi Wire announced the winner's name of the 2004 "Get in the Gate" Sweepstakes on September 17. I started searching local newspaper sites for the winner's hometown (Wassau, WI), and found this article:

From the Wausau Daily Herald:

http://tinyurl.com/58hu6

Fri, Oct 8, 2004

TV shoot pumps up sci fi fans

By Amy Kimmes
    Wausau Daily Herald

It has been nearly a week since Nathan Flaminio of Wausau returned home after finishing a shoot on two science fiction shows in Vancouver, British Columbia, and he's still reeling.

Flaminio, 26, won a walk-on role on SCI FI Channel's hit series "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis" through the cable channel's third annual "Get in the Gate" sweepstakes promotion, which was held this summer. He beat out nearly 700,000 entrants to get the gig.

"I never thought anything like this would ever happen to me," said Flaminio, who got hooked on science fiction in elementary school. "I never really win anything. To win something like this, a spot on shows that I'm a big fan of, is just amazing."

"Stargate SG-1" stars Richard Dean Anderson of "MacGyver" fame and is based on the feature film "Stargate." It follows Col. Jack O'Neill's (played by Anderson) explorations of the universe. "Stargate Atlantis" is a spin-off of "Stargate SG-1."

Greg Syring of Weston, a friend of Flaminio's who got to tag along on Flaminio's trip, said the excursion was the opportunity of a lifetime.

"Oh my God. You have no idea," said Syring, 28, who works for American Wood Fibers in Weston. "I've been watching 'SG-1' since the premiere of the show, and I'm a huge Richard Dean Anderson fan."

"Stargate SG-1" first aired in 1997 on Showtime. It moved into syndication in 1998.

"The greatest moment of my trip was meeting Richard Dean Anderson," Syring said.

He took a roll of duct tape, in reference to Anderson's "MacGyver" days, to the set of "SG-1" and got Anderson to autograph it. Syring says he would have preferred Anderson's autograph on a Swiss Army knife, but it was too impractical - too small, you know.

Flaminio, who is a self-employed carpenter, says his filming debut was nerve-wracking, but director Peter DeLuise, Dom DeLuise's son, guided him through.

Flaminio says he played the part of a screaming villager in "Stargate SG-1" and a scientist in "Stargate Atlantis."

Flaminio doesn't know exactly when he'll hit the television screen, but he expects the episodes he was in to air sometime in mid January.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Proof-Positive
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Proof-Positive

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

NOT!FAIR!NOT!FAIR!NOT!FAIR!NOT!FAIR!!!!!!
    I wanted to get in the Gate!!!! I'm SO jealous of that guy right now!
    HAHAHA....he got RDA to sign a roll of duct tape??? That's GENIOUS!
    Oh, MAN...I am really jealous of that guy right now... AND i have to watch his episode near my brithday? Not fair, man... not FAIR.
    NOT FAIR NOT FAIR NOT FAIR NOT FAIR NOT FAIR

And now, ladies and gentlemen... a momtent of silence for my pride.

(no really, Flaminio, if you're out there reading this; congrats... that's awesome.)

Comment

OH SHOOT!
      My computer signed me in as my sister!!! I didn't even think of that!... Sorry people... that little bit of complaining was NOT The Mighty x2... It's Sarcazmo The Clown.
      (And so is this one, obviously...)
      Sorry, sis...

Comment

I'm still mad that Canadians couldn't enter...

I mean, it would cost ALOT less to fly someone from Alberta or Manitoba to BC.

*pouts*

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
        Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

one of the guys from blue peter got to do a camo in season 6 if i remember right.

wish i could get in the gate!
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Thanks Morjana for posting this. It was really interesting to hear the winner's take on the experience.
            sigpic

Comment

I wonder what part he got to play.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Technician of some kind if memory serves.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                  But it's right there in the article!
                  a screaming villager in "Stargate SG-1" and a scientist in "Stargate Atlantis."
                  Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

The article mentions he plays a screaming village in SG1 and a scientist in SGA.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                      But it's right there in the article!
                      Holy crap. I missed those last three sentences completely. lol.

My bad guys. Thanks for making me look like an idiot. Appreciated. lol.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

My bad guys. Thanks for making me look like an idiot. Appreciated. lol.
                        You're welcome. It's not like it required a lot of effort anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                          You're welcome. It's not like it required a lot of effort anyway...
                          OHHHH! BURN! Someone get me some ice, I've been burned so bad!

OHHH!

I hate you UP! lol.

Comment

I hate you UP! lol.
                            Join the club!

Comment

Man, RDA could make a killing selling autographed rolls of duct tape on EBay, that was a great idea, lol.

Sooooo jealous.
                              O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
                              Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

Working...
                              X