PDA

View Full Version : Scary ships (the flying kind, not relationships!)

LordAnubis
October 8th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Okay, thinking back to every sci-fi series or movie you've seen, and all the ships you can remember, what starship did you think was the most intimidating or frightening?

For me, I think the Imperial Destroyers from SW were pretty cool and scary looking. Also, Ra's Hat'ak from the movie and Anubis' ship from "Full Circle" were pretty intimidating. Just imagine those hovering over the White House or something. I also thought the ships from ID4 were pretty scary in a weird kinda way. Something about them just freaked me out. Another freaky one: the Shadows' ships from Babylon 5! :S

The lamest ship: ET's weird Egg ship. What do you guys think? Any good ones you can remember? It can be from any series or movie.

aschen
October 8th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Borg Cubes O_O

Ramne
October 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Yeah, Borg Cubes are the first thing that comes to mind...

Major Fischer
October 8th, 2004, 11:42 AM
I'll third the Borg Cube.

Liv
October 8th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Another freaky one: the Shadows' ships from Babylon 5! :S

I'm going with this one, especially the accompanying shrieking that they made. Creepy.

LordAnubis
October 8th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Borg Cubes O_O
Dude, I totally forgot about those! Good one!

aschen
October 8th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Natürlich, mein komrade!

Larry
October 8th, 2004, 12:24 PM
For me, it was the Star Destroyer from the opening scene of Star Wars: A New Hope. It wasn't how the ship looked, it was the camera angle with the "little" Rebel ship trying to outrun this massive Star Destroyer. At least that was the impression you were given. One of the coolest scenes in any movie I've ever seen.

LordAnubis
October 8th, 2004, 07:02 PM
For me, it was the Star Destroyer from the opening scene of Star Wars: A New Hope. It wasn't how the ship looked, it was the camera angle with the "little" Rebel ship trying to outrun this massive Star Destroyer. At least that was the impression you were given. One of the coolest scenes in any movie I've ever seen.
I totally agree. The massive size of the ship juxaposed with the lil rebel ship made you go: WOAH! Just picture that ship hovering over any city on Earth. Our problems here would seem ever so trivial, huh? :)

Or Anubis' huge ass Ha'tak!

Bast
October 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM
1.Independance day ship

2. Flesh Gordons ship (not scary but sickening and gross)

3.Borg cube

4.UFO ships usually are scary since they could be real!

5.Infested Aliens ship.

MartoufMarty
October 8th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Oooh BORG CUBE!

Daniel Jackson
October 8th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Hmm... OK, here goes:

Borg Cube - Star Trek: First Contact (scarriest in the movie)
Shinzon's Schimitar - Star Trek: Nemesis
Dominion Warship - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Apophis's uber-pyramid ship - Stargate SG-1 "The Serpent's Venom"
Anubis's ship - Stargate SG-1 "Full Circle"

There's others, but I figured the top five would be enough. :D

LoneStar1836
October 9th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Same here. That's what I first thought of when I read LA's post. The sequence made the ship menacing with its size more than its outside appearance.

Now just plain scary for me would the Shadows on B5. The Vorlons also had some interesting ships, but I guess they weren't scary until you had to actually fight them. I didn't care too much for the Mimbarri (sp?) ships.

Borg cubes were also scary because of what they carried-hundreds of Borg, imo.

What about Klinggon Birds of Prey? The whole cloking ability made them kind of scary.

Jarnin
October 9th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Sorry to post off-topic, but since the conversations on scary ships, check out Starship Dimensions (http://www.merzo.net/) if you get a chance. Its a website devoted to displaying all kinds of space ships from all kinds of shows, and allows you to move the ships around and compare them to one another in terms of size. I've spent hours on this site, so I figured I'd pass it on.
Unfortunately, they've only got one or two StarGate ships thus far, but I'm hoping it'll get updated eventually with the rest.

My pick for most "scary" ship would be the Discovery from 2001. That damn Hal was a psycho I tells ya!

October 9th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I'd have to say Shadow ships from B5 and the Super Star Destroyer in Empire Strikes Back. The shot where it completely covers the normal Star Destroyer in shadow is awesome...

Gµmmi@nð
October 9th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Borg Cubes O_O
That would be the first thing to pop up in my head too.

aAnubiSs
October 10th, 2004, 02:50 AM
The Shadows, no doubt about it.

Mr Prophet
October 10th, 2004, 03:42 AM
For scary ships, I'd have to go with the Shivans from Freespace (1 & 2), particularly the Sathanas Juggernaut. For those who don't know the games, there's a piccy of the Sathanas at least on that starship dimensions site.

Janus
October 10th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Borg Cubes. Brrrr....
Especially after the opening scene from "First Contact."
Where you see the drill hovering in front of Picard's eye....

Axle
October 12th, 2004, 05:37 AM
The opening sequence of SW4:ANH comes to mind, you have the little corvette shooting over top of you, with laser blasts flying back and forth, then the rumble, you just know somthing big is coming, then the long white dagger shape of the star destroyer comes over head. Yeah, I'd be freaked if an Star Destroyer came up on me. But in Empire they went one bigger, the Super Star Destroyer. You see this squadron of ISDs flying, TIE Fighters shooting through space, the Imperial March is playing in the backgound then this shadown lumbers across the tops of these now very small ships..... :D

Also, yeah Borg Cubes, Shadow ships, and Anubis's Ha'Tak.

ibwolf
October 12th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Shadow vessels on B5. Especially early in S1 (I believe) when Lando is describing a dream where they fly over him while he stands outside on Centauri Prime. Just dripping with malevolance.

yaaayoubetcha
October 12th, 2004, 10:35 AM
even when allowing myself to completely slip into an ep or movie....no ship has ever scared me.....

scififan777
October 13th, 2004, 12:49 AM
I'd vote for the Shadow ships from B-5

lionel_pendergast_rocks
October 14th, 2004, 08:07 AM
ill go with shadow ships too, and ill also say borg spheres and the dredj ships in titan ae, but they werent as weird as others. (that was a pretty dumb movie though)

CKO
November 14th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Gotta go with the Shadow ships Drakh planet killer is pretty scarey and wouldn't want to run into the Vorlon planet killer (that thing is huge.)

The Decimator (Emporer Staleeks ship in FS: PKWARS) suprised none of ya scapers mentioned it.. er... okay lots of deadly tech on it.

hmm Borg Cubes well lets just say ya wanna run the opposite direction

Replicarter
November 15th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I havent seen many other sci-fi shows, but id go with Borg Cubes, Anubis Battle Barge and The Replicator Mother Ship. And RAs to :D

SP90
November 15th, 2004, 07:55 PM
I hope this is not limited to just sci-fi :)

1) Krenim Timeship (erase you and your civilization from existence)
2) The Death Star (need a planet wiped off the map?)
3) Borg Tactical Cube (all those voices give me a headache)
4) Wraith Hive (suck the life out of you)
5) Voth City Ship (their not very fond of mammals...)
6) Atlantis (squid interceptors maybe?)
7) Any ship with Troi at the helm...
These don't fly but they are still scary.
8) Nimitz Class carrier (CIWS alone will turn anyone into a puddle on the wall)
9) "C4 Barge" (the terrorist kind)
10) NY Water Taxi (their ships are so small it feels like the rush hour crowd might sink it if they get on)

Madeleine
November 16th, 2004, 01:07 AM
It has to be the Shadow Vessels.

The Borg Cubes were really scary in BoBW, but lost it later.

Terok
November 16th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Going to have to go with the Shadow ships from B5 aswell. A Borg Cube was definately scary when TNG crew first met it but then Voyager happened.