This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancients language?

Hi, do anybody know about the ancient's language?
    I've been wondering, when the people translate the ancients writing does it translate into latin from letter to letter and then gets translated into english or does it just come out in english when translated straight from the text/ writing?
    (If anybody understands what i mean please reply
    sigpic
    If i was a picture i'd look something like this, cos friendship brightens my day!!!

The ancient writing on the show can be translated letter by letter into english. Of course Ancient is related to medieval latin so it should really translate into latin-type words but im guessing this would take far too long and be far too complicated to do for all the ancient writing that has appeared on the show. There is an interesting thread about ancient translations here http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13522
    sigpic

Comment

As I understand it, the ancient letter are then converted to our alphabet, then the Latin-esque words are translated into English...

Comment

It's what they make us think in the show, but when you actually translate, it's just english in a different alphabet, directly translated.

Comment

In the show it is translated into latin as shown in an SG1 episode when teal'c and oniel get stuck in time loop. I'm not sure if it actually translates directly into English.
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

You're right about the Ancient characters being translated into English ones and the words into English from Latin/Ancient is how it should work but it seems, mostly on Atlantis that the Ancient words are just English in the Ancient alphabet which is totally wrong.

Hehe! My 1000th post!

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Alendra View Post
              It's what they make us think in the show, but when you actually translate, it's just english in a different alphabet, directly translated.
              Yeah I've noticed that for alot of ancient text on the show...

Comment

PRE SG1 season 8 ancoients laugage was just ramdom symbols.

After Atlantis started, they made the language. Ancient writing is just english with diffirent letters.

It is related to latin to make the show more interesting.

It wouldn't be insteresting if it was just diffirent letters representing letters. If you know the symbols you can read the language. I can

Go Green

Comment

Me too It makes me feel really good when i've translated texts, i send notes to my sister in ancient language(latin) and writting its ace.

I've got the ancient fonts for microsoft, it's brill

Its so funny cause one's called Times new ancient -i find that really funny
                  I tried to copy texts i've written on here in the ancient langauge but it translated back to english- such a bummer i was gonna start a learn how to speak and write in the ancients language thread, but i can't
                  sigpic
                  If i was a picture i'd look something like this, cos friendship brightens my day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Winona View Post
                    Hi, do anybody know about the ancient's language?
                    I've been wondering, when the people translate the ancients writing does it translate into latin from letter to letter and then gets translated into english or does it just come out in english when translated straight from the text/ writing?
                    (If anybody understands what i mean please reply
                    Check wikipedia, they have everything there on the language of the "Ancients".

Comment

in the show the characters appear in Anquietas (ancient) but when letter for letter is translated it turns out either complete gibberish or in english. Rarely has it been in latin.
                      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Thanks guys!....
                        Is there anyone out there, that is just obscesed with learning languages? Did anyone dream to become an Egyptologist?What languages can you Speak/Write in?

its getting a bit lonley only talking by myself, i can feel a bit of insomnia creeping in.....
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X