Alteran / Lantean Computer Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alteran / Lantean Computer Screens

Does anyone know or have an idea why a lot of the screens for the lantean terminals are behind the terminals?

Most of the terminals with hardwired interfaces and knobs use a forward screen.
    But a lot of the terminals with the 3 layers of crystal controls use a screen thats behind the person using it.

Seems wierd.
    Last edited by RichardDaGeek; 27 November 2007, 08:58 AM.

Originally posted by RichardDaGeek View Post
    Does anyone know or have an idea why a lot of the screens for the lantean terminals are behind the terminals?

Most of the terminals with hardwired interfaces and knows use a forward screen.
    But a lot of the terminals with the 3 layers of crystal controls use a screen thats behind the person using it.

Seems wierd.
    Its not as weird as you think, atleast once you understand how those type of systems work. I myself love the console design and as a little side project, I wanted to build a replica of one, and have it functional.

If you look at each crystal control (i view these as modules) you see various buttons on them. The top row has 9 slots, the middle row has 8, and the bottom row has 6 slots (if memory serves correctly). Each module, which can either have 1 port or 2, controls a specific system. THe keys found on the module are 'hotkeys' for specific functions. Lets say 1 module controlled power, it would have keys on it to control various systems, such as 'Main Power On' or 'Aux Power', 'Lights' - or a shield module with a key hotkey to turn on and off the shield, or have it set to various levels. Kinda think of the modules as system standards, anything else you would need to go into the Atlantis 'Control Panel'.

Im at work right now, but later on tonight if I have time I will explain it better, with pictures

Comment

Seems wierd.
      excercise, helps develop back and neck muscle, thats why the ancients lost the war, they had neck and back ache from fighting
      sigpic

Comment

Because it is a display.

If you do a powerpoint presentation, do you want the screen to be somewhere where everyone can see it, or right infront of you with everyone crowsing behind you?

Go Green

Comment

Seems wierd.
          I guess thats the way the writers wanted it.

Comment

they also added a sort of screen to the top of these consoles in season 2, I hate it.

I really miss holograms. Goauld Asgard Aschen all used holograms
            why don't they have holograms in Atlantis ??

even the wraith used holograms in season 1, but now they have these silly membrane screens.

the wraith dart screen was amazing though.

Comment

heaven,

ive never seen those bars on the top display any data, all ive ever seen is them lit up, i just assumed their lights.

RB

Comment

LOL. I know a lot of props in the show are like that
                instead of making a screen they make a panel with light.
                The Asgard Goauld Wraith terminals are also like that
                they use real screens only on Earth equipment, and it always ends up looking awful.

Comment

I disagree, I prefer the monitors from Earth, they look cooler and are much easier to use, I mean humans grew up/worked with computers like that for most of their lives (Younger people mostly) and that is what they're used to, the Ancients grew up/worked with those weird consoles and screens so that is what they were used to, no reason to not have an interface medium present.

Vala,

Comment

i think they did that for money, simpler screens = less graphics and spending money
                    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                    Anime signature in spoiler tag
                    Spoiler:
                    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

I think that makes sense. Because if you look at the bottom of the consoles there are some keyboard like buttons that seem to correspond to letters in their alphabet and numbers if you look at them hard enough.
                      Thats most likely their equivalent to our keyboard. And 3 crystal layers for for programmable controls that point to things like the shield routines.
                      Also, the crystal controls do light up and display a few pieces of info, from what i can tell based on screen captures.

Makes sense now.
                      RB

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
                      Its not as weird as you think, atleast once you understand how those type of systems work. I myself love the console design and as a little side project, I wanted to build a replica of one, and have it functional.

If you look at each crystal control (i view these as modules) you see various buttons on them. The top row has 9 slots, the middle row has 8, and the bottom row has 6 slots (if memory serves correctly). Each module, which can either have 1 port or 2, controls a specific system. THe keys found on the module are 'hotkeys' for specific functions. Lets say 1 module controlled power, it would have keys on it to control various systems, such as 'Main Power On' or 'Aux Power', 'Lights' - or a shield module with a key hotkey to turn on and off the shield, or have it set to various levels. Kinda think of the modules as system standards, anything else you would need to go into the Atlantis 'Control Panel'.

Im at work right now, but later on tonight if I have time I will explain it better, with pictures

Comment

I think that makes sense. Because if you look at the bottom of the consoles there are some keyboard like buttons that seem to correspond to letters in their alphabet and numbers if you look at them hard enough.
                        Thats most likely their equivalent to our keyboard. And 3 crystal layers for for programmable controls that point to things like the shield routines.
                        Also, the crystal controls do light up and display a few pieces of info, from what i can tell based on screen captures.

Makes sense now.
                        RB
                        The console is layed out as follows:

On the console itself, on the left side, are buttons (34), and on the right side, are some more buttons (20), and above the right side buttons, alittle more to the right, is some sort of 'display', atleast what I would imagine to be a display. As I stated in my original post, there are 3 layers of inputs, 9 on the upper layer, 8 on the middle layer, and 6 on the lower layer.

For the most part, each 'control crystal' takes up one port, however, there are dual control crystals which occupy two ports, and are most likely only used for large, more complicated systems. Buttons on each of the crystals vary, depending on there specific function.

Reference Image:
                        -----------------

Now, from the show we know that most rooms (especially the labs) on Atlantis have 2 consoles; 1 for accessing the central computer systems and another for any room specific controls - obviously there can be more if needed.

While every console is similar in design, it is my beleif that each are also individually programmed/designed around what systems they are meant to handle (The Return. Part 2 - CETUS: We are trying to route all the telemetry through these terminals but they were not designed to take on so many systems). The longer consoles seem to be specifically designed for the central computer system, and the shorter consoles are for individual systems (by longer and shorter I am referring to how wide they are).

Obviously the Central Computer System is at the top of the chain. This system would have to be directly hooked up to every main system. Lets assume that Atlantis was divided up as follows:

M1 - Main Control Tower and surrounding buildings
                        P1 - Large Peir
                        p1 - Small Peir
                        A,B,C,D,E - denotes section

The way I have laid out the city, each peir has 5 sections, 30 in total, and then the central 'peir', where the central spire is found = 31 Power Sections in total. ZPM room is at the base of the tower. Shields, drones, stardrive, and any other major systems are generally isolated from other systems, so for instance, if I shut off power to one of the six peirs, that happens to contain some of the 10 shield emmitters, the emmitters would still be supplied power from the ZPM, even though all other 'secondary systems' on that peir are turned off.

Even with Atlantis as big as it is, and 31 being a small number, thats still alot of systems to be directly tied in, and alot of keys to put on a control crystal. More likely the control crystal would be able to control each peir's power seperatly, with more access found within the Cities operating systems screens (the screens we see on the expeditions laptops while interfaced with consoles). From there, more isolated, 'private' systems have to be controlled from the room itself. So:

1) I can turn on and off the power to lights in peir A from the control room
                        2) I have to go to peir A's power distribution room to turn off the lights in hallway A on that peir
                        3) I have to go into room A on peir A to turn off a specific light

Let me tell you, I plan on building a replica of the console, fully functional, and have it control power distribution within the house similarly. I have 12 different sections to my house and there is a lot, and I mean a lot, of wiring to be done. Doing this kind of systems with only one console is easy, all the connections go directly there. If I was to have, for instance, several consoles that could all control my power distribution, it would get quite complicated.

What can I say, I LOVE the Ancients, and even more so there technology Now if only I could build a holographic system, then I could really build a control chair, minus the neural connectivity

Any questions just ask.

Comment

pretty

thanks for the pics

Comment

what episode did you take this screenshot from. I have never been able to find one quite soo clear. And believe me, i have been looking.

RB

Comment

what episode did you take this screenshot from. I have never been able to find one quite soo clear. And believe me, i have been looking.

RB
                              Apparently, not good enough

To be honest, I have no idea where I found that picture - but it is not from an episode. Every so often in the late nights of the weekend, I'll browse the internet and look for any technical/concept/production pictures related to stargate, and various other things.

One of my sweet spots, which I have found many many drawings, is Mallozzi's blogspot, but even there, its not cut and dry. I have spent hours going through his blogspot looking for stargate material, which you wont always find. His blog is a general blog so things are hidden within, and let me tell you, 1 year worth of blogs is alot to go through, but if you've got the patience like me, you can find some cool stuff in there.

You wont find pics like the console too often though, usually its just a set picture, or a concept pic of something, or stage direction/planning sheets... if you think your gonna find a huge picture library your wrong. In fact, you'll probably see more pics of his dog then of atlantis, and desserts

It also helps to look for the Studio that does some of the graphics and visual effects. Sometimes, people who work at these companies have personal sites where they display some of there stargate work, which is how I obtained the top-perspective atlantis screen (although I hate the current version of the Atlantis model - it doesn't follow the same hexagon-based style like most ancient architecture does, especially the base of the ship - I am aware that different models were made for different purposes, but still)

Comment

Working...
                              X