This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do railguns work

i've wonderd for a while now just what s a railgun and how does it work ?

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

A massive gun that uses magnets to propell projectiles at much faster speeds & more rapidly than gunpower. With greater speed comes more damage.

I'm sure theres another thread on this anyway, try searching.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
      A massive gun that uses magnets to propell projectiles at much faster speeds & more rapidly than gunpower. With greater speed comes more damage.

I'm sure theres another thread on this anyway, try searching.
      but how does it come out as a yellow blob i dont get that

and i've tried

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

The yellow blobs are most likely the tracer rounds that you get in most magazines so that you can see where you're fire is landing.

Or they've been put in to make the show more visually exciting.
        Nu ani Anquietas :: We are the Ancients, well some of us

Comment

yeah railguns fire rounds at such a high velocity, your brain would not be able to register them unless you were at the right angle to observe less delta-v
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Go check on wikipedia there's also some nice articles there.

Comment

A gauss gun uses magnets. A rail gun essentially makes the "bullet" a conductor between two rails and "motor action" drives the pellet down the rails. Think of a gauss gun as a magnet gun and a rail gun is an electric gun.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                A gauss gun uses magnets. A rail gun essentially makes the "bullet" a conductor between two rails and "motor action" drives the pellet down the rails. Think of a gauss gun as a magnet gun and a rail gun is an electric gun.
                Although it is true that gauss and rail guns use a different configuration, they both use electromagnetic fields to accelerate a projectile to extreme velocities. Both can used in simple small-scale applications and both can be scaled up to propel larger projectiles at increased speeds. The potential of this technology is increased by being in a vacuum, both because of faster acceleration and constant speed (no air resistance once fired). Therefore I believe that in our future they can and may be used, for example, to destroy an asteroid that is heading our way.

Comment

The US navy expects to replace its 155mm Advanced Gun System on it's new DGX and CGX with Railguns durring their life time, iirc they will increase the range they can lob a shell from 100Km to about 600Km, the high velocity will also mean they will not need to contain explosives, the impact energy will be high enough to destroy their target.

The biggest hurtle today is wear on the rails that limits their life and the power requirements. In the SG universe neither are a problem with naquadah and trinium.

A railgun is essentially a linear electric motor, it is used today to propell some high speed trains. There is plenty of info on the web and as has been suggested already, have a search for it.

Brian

Comment

Here
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railguns

http://www.powerlabs.org/
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by EnigmaNZ View Post
                      The US navy expects to replace its 155mm Advanced Gun System on it's new DGX and CGX with Railguns durring their life time, iirc they will increase the range they can lob a shell from 100Km to about 600Km, the high velocity will also mean they will not need to contain explosives, the impact energy will be high enough to destroy their target.

The biggest hurtle today is wear on the rails that limits their life and the power requirements. In the SG universe neither are a problem with naquadah and trinium.

A railgun is essentially a linear electric motor, it is used today to propell some high speed trains. There is plenty of info on the web and as has been suggested already, have a search for it.

Brian
                      Cool. I have always wanted to know what a railgun was and how it works aswell. There4 Thanks.
                      I am sure they can be made 2day, but only if your povket is very deep and full of cash.
                      If the same technology can be used to fire a train down a track, Then I wonder if it could be used to fire a train sized bullet up into space?
                      That would stop any Goa'uld Hataks or Astaroids which come knocking.

Cheers for the links. But on the Wikipedia one the link at the top of the page fpr "railyway guns" is more intresting. Them things look sweet. Imagine waiting for your train and one of them rolls on past? That would be SWEET!

As for railguns it seems once again the UK has built the best one! Boo Yeah. However due to the heat produced in the firing, the guns have very short lives as the rails get damaged

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
                      but how does it come out as a yellow blob i dont get that

and i've tried
                      My gess would be that its just a version of "camera darkness" so that we the veiwer can see whats going on. Like how in some films and games they have lines behind sniper bullets so you can see where it came from.
                      However i feel that inatlantis they should have cahnged the effect alittle as
                      1. It made it look like it was fireing laser blasts
                      2. I thought at 1rst they where Drones (from a far)!

Anyways know that I know what a railgun is, Anyone care to exsplain an Ion Canon?
                      Last edited by MechaThor; 24 November 2007, 09:48 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Banner Made By Me for Me
                      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7f_9SNJ-xQ

Have a look at this, a gatling gun being fired at dusk from a helicopter. Note the yellow tracer and the laser like appearance of the bursts, a bit like the SGA railguns.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                          Cool. I have always wanted to know what a railgun was and how it works aswell. There4 Thanks.
                          I am sure they can be made 2day, but only if your povket is very deep and full of cash.
                          If the same technology can be used to fire a train down a track, Then I wonder if it could be used to fire a train sized bullet up into space?
                          That would stop any Goa'uld Hataks or Astaroids which come knocking.
                          Not necessarily http://isc.hackaday.com/2005/10/17/diy-railgun/

Comment

I'm not a doctor (nor am I a ham sandwich), and obviously it's just for effect on the show, but wouldn't tracer rounds not glow in a vacuum? Don't they rely on air friction? I may be completely wrong.

Comment

I'm sure that it'd be possible to make tracer rounds which glow in a vacuum. It'd just be a different type of round.

Comment

Working...
                              X