This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iris on the Ori supergate

I don't know if this has been brought up before, I've tried to search for it but have'nt found anything. Although I have to admit that my search wasn't really thorough.

My question would be: why not make an iris on the ori supergate? That would prevent unwanted visitors from coming to the MW.

Well, that's not a bad idea, but we would need some time to place it, and if the Ori are watching it they would bring their ships and prevent us from placing it or if we did fast, just destroy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darien View Post
      I don't know if this has been brought up before, I've tried to search for it but have'nt found anything. Although I have to admit that my search wasn't really thorough.

My question would be: why not make an iris on the ori supergate? That would prevent unwanted visitors from coming to the MW.
      that might not work because the supergate is made up of individual blocks mabee a shield

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
        that might not work because the supergate is made up of individual blocks mabee a shield
        OK, a shield then. We would have to hunt down the ori ships that are already in our galaxy but it would prevent any reinforcements form coming.

Comment

To put a Shield on something that large would require a ZPM like power source. The Supergate is huge, and the resulting "kwoosh" would drain so much power from the shield its not even funny. Look at atlantis, they didnt start activating the shield during a incoming dial until they had a ZPM, why? because they didnt want to drain what power they had blocking the backwash of the event horizon. Its a great idea, but wrong in so many ways. It would hurt the story line and any resulting arcs from the supergate. Plus Humans just dont have that kind of power to play with.
          LANDRY: You’re just mad you didn’t get to fly the maiden voyage yourself.

: General, I am quite fond of both maidens and voyages. I mean, put the two together and ...

sigpic

Comment

The unstable vortex shouldn't require any additional power to be supplied to the shield to block it. The iris on the Earth gate is so close to the event horizon that the unstable vortex can't form. the same should be true of a shield in place as long as it is close enough to the event horizon.

Comment

Powerwise .. there's a blackhole behind the supergate, remember ?

Comment

Originally posted by LtHawk View Post
                To put a Shield on something that large would require a ZPM like power source. The Supergate is huge, and the resulting "kwoosh" would drain so much power from the shield its not even funny. Look at atlantis, they didnt start activating the shield during a incoming dial until they had a ZPM, why? because they didnt want to drain what power they had blocking the backwash of the event horizon. Its a great idea, but wrong in so many ways. It would hurt the story line and any resulting arcs from the supergate. Plus Humans just dont have that kind of power to play with.
                I don't think it would require so much juice. Even if it did, as Alendra said, there's a blackhole nearby so it wouldnt need a zpm to power it. On the other hand, if we found a way to put an iris onto the gate then the energy problem would be out of the question completely.

Comment

If you want one like the the one on the SGC gate I don't see it happening, it would take up took much time, have you seen how big the supergate is? It's bigger than the Ori ships and doing that kind of work right in the middle of the milkyway is bound to attract unwanted attention.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                    If you want one like the the one on the SGC gate I don't see it happening, it would take up took much time, have you seen how big the supergate is? It's bigger than the Ori ships and doing that kind of work right in the middle of the milkyway is bound to attract unwanted attention.
                    It wouldn't be an easy task sure, but with a little help from either the Jaffa or the Tok'ra with the transportation of parts of the iris and with the clever use of a 304's transporter beam we might even be able to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darien View Post
                      It wouldn't be an easy task sure, but with a little help from either the Jaffa or the Tok'ra with the transportation of parts of the iris and with the clever use of a 304's transporter beam we might even be able to make it.
                      If they were to put an iris on it I think they could only make a permenant one, I don't see earth being able to make an iris exactly like the one on the SGC gate.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                        If they were to put an iris on it I think they could only make a permenant one, I don't see earth being able to make an iris exactly like the one on the SGC gate.
                        Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear about this: I also meant a permanent one. Don't think we should ever go to the Ori galaxy...

Spoiler:
                        at least not after AoT

and we certainly don't want anyone come here from there.

Comment

first we need a shield wide enough and srong enough to hold up to the supergate

and earth is not in the shield making biusness just yet

all we need is atlantis to sit on it with its shields and use the power of the blackhole to power it
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                            first we need a shield wide enough and srong enough to hold up to the supergate

and earth is not in the shield making biusness just yet

all we need is atlantis to sit on it with its shields and use the power of the blackhole to power it
                            IMO unless Atlantis was positioned exactly right it would suffer the same fate as the Ori ship, nothing has ever held up against the unstable vortex and I really doubt even the great Atlantis shields will.

Comment

if you were to place it in the middle of it it would not work at all assuming atlantis would fit

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Working...
                              X