X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Outposts?

Are there any other Ancient outposts?

Stargate: Atlantis was supposed to be about the Lantean civilization and the society itself.

So far we haven't seen any outposts, we have of course seen the twin city ship to Atlantis which was of course 'The Tower', however i wonder how many other Outposts there were and or are in the Milky Way Galaxy, The Ida Galaxy and The Pegasus.

The sister ship to Atlantis a.k.a 'The Tower' could have been to Taonas, that would obviously account for the two distinct Ancient outposts. 1 on Earth, and of course 1 on Toanas.

The Stargate: Atlantis delemma is that they have come to unlock the secrets of Atlantis, and now they aren't unlocking the secrets, they are unlocking enemies etc. *not happy*

I love Atlantis and the team in Weir, Sheppard, Carter, McKay, Teyla, Ronon, Beckett, Keller, Ford, Bates, Halling, and yes even the mischevious Jinto.

However I want some explaination, some back story in to the civilization of the Ancients, Daniel Jackson a former ascended has unlocked more secrets then anyone else, including the truth about the Goa'uld, and the Ascended beings of both Ori and Ancient factions.

So tell me why there were two Ancient outposts, who the Alteran's were, before the split into Ancients and Ori, please please RCC and BW, PM and JM i want some real knowledge, understanding, backstory.
    sigpic
    i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

A lot can happen in 5-10 million years such as a mile of ice covering it or a the ground being unstable and not only covering it, but damaging it. Look what happened to the city from The Tower in just 10,000 years. Granted cities are more fragile than those outposts, but without proper care they are bound to be destroyed or hidden from view as time passes. It's not like they put Stargates in the outposts, so it would be pretty hard to stumble upon one without the knowledge that it should be there or possibly a detailed sensor sweep from a 304 but they don't have the resources to do that on every planet. If it were so easy to find them, they long ago would've been taken control of by the Goa'uld and knowing them they were bound to take such a place apart so they could strip it for parts since they wouldn't understand the more complicated systems. They might even destroy such a find for fear that another Goa'uld would get their hands on it and be able to use what they learn there against them.

Taonas was a world the Goa'uld would've had no interest in visiting and Ra was chased off of Earth before he could fully explore Earth (he didn't even find the original Stargate). But other outposts may not have been so lucky as to not fall into Goa'uld hands and most of the worlds Sg-1 explores are Goa'uld controlled worlds or worlds that they are aware of. There are still thousands of unexplored worlds (unexplored by Earth that is) in the Milky Way and those worlds may be among the ones the Goa'uld never touched which may make it more likely for Earth to find Ancient technology on them.

Also, I doubt the city from Taonas was the one we saw in The Tower as Morgan said they abandoned that planet when they realized the sun's lifespan was coming to an end. So based on that it stands to reason that they simply moved it to another planet in the Milky Way. It's somewhat possible that from there they moved it to the Pegasus galaxy as they happened to also avoid infection from the plaque, but it's highly unlikely that the plaque hit just as they realized they had to abandon the planet.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 19 November 2007, 01:06 AM.

Comment

well abydos had a secret room where ancinet things where buried and dakara aswell, it just might be in place that not even the gouald found out about
      sigpic

Comment

Which was why my main point was how impossible it would be to stumble upon an outpost (after 5-10 million years of just sitting there it wouldn't be out in the open anymore) via their normal exploration process. Ancient artifacts would be much easier to find as any of a number of races could've carried them off in the millions of years since the Ancient's demise and preserved them, (that secret treasure room belonged to Ra) not to mention the unknown amount of exploration done by the Ancients who returned from Atlantis and headed to the Stargate rather than stay on Earth (who knows what they left laying around 10,000 years ago).

Plus my point about the Goa'uld was that most of the exploration Earth has done involved going into their territory. The more Earth explores addresses the Goa'uld know nothing about the more likely it will become that they can find these things (I'm sure there are countless things out there waiting to be found). Only they have to improve their methods of searching, (i.e. using a ship to do detailed sensor sweeps of each and every planet which they cannot afford to do right now) as there's a lot they currently miss (they've discovered two hidden Ancient bases on within the span of 10 years and it was only after someone told them about them and they went looking for something specific).
        Last edited by Xaeden; 19 November 2007, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
          well abydos had a secret room where ancinet things where buried and dakara aswell, it just might be in place that not even the gouald found out about
          I thought the secret room on Abydos was put there by Ra to protect his most prized possessions, some just happened to be ancient?

Comment

But remember, other Goa'uld used the Anarctic gate to bring humans in during the periods when the glacial flow as out of the way of the Stargate. But that raises the question of how they transported humans from Europe, Africa, Asia and such to the gate in Antarctica, the Goa'uld never had anything as small as jumpers (The special death glider Bra'tac had doesn't count since they never mentioned it ever again plus it only seated two) and they only used the gate, not ships.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
              But remember, other Goa'uld used the Anarctic gate to bring humans in during the periods when the glacial flow as out of the way of the Stargate. But that raises the question of how they transported humans from Europe, Africa, Asia and such to the gate in Antarctica, the Goa'uld never had anything as small as jumpers (The special death glider Bra'tac had doesn't count since they never mentioned it ever again plus it only seated two) and they only used the gate, not ships.

Vala,
              It's never been stated that the Antarctica gate was ever used by the Goa'uld (we know some Jaffa ended up there and died, but that's it). For all we know all Human life out in the galaxy was either taken by Ra before he left Earth, (he could've gones around kidnapping village populations from various parts of the world and sending them through the Stargate) taken by the Asgard some time later, or taken by Merlin. Persumably if they had used that gate after Ra left they would've moved it to a more habitable location and retaken control of Earth.

Comment

Still doesn't explain why we haven't encountered Outposts or the like.

How about they actually go looking. der.

Lantea wasn't Atlantis's only homeplanet surely.

Oh well.
                sigpic
                i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

What do you mean no outposts? Wasn't the facility in Inferno an outpost?

Comment

Originally posted by from_orion View Post
                    What do you mean no outposts? Wasn't the facility in Inferno an outpost?
                    Technically it was a Ancient geo-thermal drilling base in the middle of a dorment super-volcano. Equiped with a Aurora class space ship.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Athosian Death facilitator View Post
                      Technically it was a Ancient geo-thermal drilling base in the middle of a dorment super-volcano. Equiped with a Aurora class space ship.
                      Umm.... stating such obvious things seems a waste of time.

However, doesn't outpost mean facility for some purpose that is not located in your homeland? So how is it not an outpost?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                        It's never been stated that the Antarctica gate was ever used by the Goa'uld...
                        On the contrary, it was stated by Daniel Jackson in Demons that Sokar nabbed humans from medieval Europe and transplanted them through the Antarctic gate because the Giza gate was buried at the time.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                        if they had used that gate after Ra left they would've moved it to a more habitable location and retaken control of Earth.
                        Yeah, but we're talking about Sokar here. He was a renegade and Earth was in Ra's back yard. If he had tried to take over Earth, Ra and the system lords would have kicked his butt.

Originally posted by from_orion
                        However, doesn't outpost mean facility for some purpose that is not located in your homeland? So how is it not an outpost?
                        It wasn't an outpost that came from Atlantis, like the ones on Earth and Taonas.
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

The Atlantis expidition has encountered Ancient outposts, we've just not seen them on screen.

When Dr. Weir went back in time, she got the location of 6 Ancient outposts that were powered by ZPM's and kept the list on her as she spent the next 10,000 years in suspended animation. However, the only onscreen exploration we saw was them searching Dagan during 'The Brotherhood' for a ZPM.

Plus there was also the ruins on Athos, that may have been an outpost.

The problem, that after millions of years of neglect could do anything. Earth and Taonas were lucky cases as Taonas' shield was able to create a lava cover that protected it, while Earth's was surrounded by ice. With the Wraith fighting a war, they could have destroyed anything they found relating to Ancient technology.

sigpic

Comment

They have on Wikipedia, so search there.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post

Plus there was also the ruins on Athos, that may have been an outpost.

The Athosian ruins were stated to be, and looked like an "ancestral city", not an outpost.

Comment

Working...
                              X