PDA

View Full Version : Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Bagpuss
May 23rd, 2004, 01:04 AM
Maybe the Greatest Comedy Sci-Fi/Fantasy crossover author available,IMO!

I love his Surreal twists and sense of fun expressed through his assorted writings.Don't get me wrong,I like tons of other Serious or Comic Authors too,but I just feel a real connection to Terry and his Characters!

Anyone else out there?

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2004, 06:27 AM
Can't stand the Discworld series. What a load of rubbish. Death certainly isn't my fave character, I absolutely do not find him or his thing about cats at all cute or amusing and I don't like Commander Vimes all that much, either. ;)

Bagpuss
May 23rd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Oh Yeah? The mere fact that you know the names,proves you at least dipped in/read one or more of these novels!! ;) LOL! :)

Spaceminx
May 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
I've only read a couple of them - Guards Guards, Truckers (I think) and Good Omens which is my fave so far. I think I've read another but I can't remember which. It might have been The Colour Of Magic (or whatever the first one is called).

I must read more - I really enjoy them.

SeaBee
May 23rd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Ah, The Discworld, my second favourite series of books, after David Eddings.
It's very difficult to pick a favourite character, there are so many. Possibly The Librarian, although Death, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are all in contention.
Likewise it's also difficult to pick a favourite book. Each are good in their own way, although I am slightly less enamoured of the books that concentrate on Cmdr. Vimes and the Watch. Soul Music was good, however, with the motorbike, built by the Librarian and ridden by Death, and the wizard with "Born To Rune" on his back!
I also like the way TP has of using the names of popular films in his own titles, such as "The Fifth Elephant".
All in all, I enjoy the fairly gentle shots of satire, and the out and out lunacy that pops up from time to time. I have recommended the books to other people, and have yet to find some-one who didn't enjoy them.

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Good Omens is one of the five books I'd want with me if I ever got stranded on a deserted island/planet. :D

Bagpuss
May 23rd, 2004, 04:34 PM
I've only read a couple of them - Guards Guards, Truckers (I think) and Good Omens which is my fave so far. I think I've read another but I can't remember which. It might have been The Colour Of Magic (or whatever the first one is called).

I must read more - I really enjoy them.

There's a sequel to "The Colour Of Magic". Also starring Rincewind and Twoflower. IMO,"The Light Fantastic" is even funnier!

There're loads of Discworld Novels and Companion Books available.Most libraries stock copies of TP's novels,and they don't nec have to be read in published order to enjoy the stories.

The "Guards" stories are really funny,but the "Witches" novels are my personal favourites.

The thing I really like most, about TP's writings, is that he weaves a lot more than just rather slapstick humour into his storylines and characters.There's a very pointed satire or a serious POV about Human Nature,blended in with all the fun! :D

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Never really warmed up to the witches. LOVE the guards, though. I even have the graphic novel of Guards! Guards! ...I think I have one for Mort, too, although it's been ages since I've seen it. Maybe it was a library thing. Saw the movie of Soul Music. Eh. It was OK. I like the books best, I think.

I wanna say there's some theatre troupe in London that puts on productions of Pterry's stuff. Would love to see THAT some day. :D

Bagpuss
May 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Good Omens is one of the five books I'd want with me if I ever got stranded on a deserted island/planet. :D

Cool choice Shadow.

Excellent Good v Evil story,IMO.A bit "Darker" than some of TP's usual mix,but still a good read. :cool:

(Now you've intrigued me as to the Titles of the rest of your top 5 ! ;) )

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2004, 04:58 PM
(Now you've intrigued me as to the Titles of the rest of your top 5 ! ;) )
Actually, I usually don't think beyond the first two, but now that I've given it a bit more thought, I'd have to say (in no particular order):
Good Omens by Pterry and Neil Gaiman
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook (hey, if I'm gonna be alone I'm gonna need to know how to survive!)
And then either a book of HP Lovecraft stories (because being abandoned in the mysterious middle of nowhere isn't scary enough), a book of baby names (for story writing purposes), or maybe Bellwether by Connie Willis.

Not very deep choices, but fun reads, and I think that'd be important. I used to include the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, but the naked truth of it is... I like his stuff better on stage than in a book. ;)

Bagpuss
May 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Hmmmm! Seem rather interesting selections,I'll need to look up some of those books.I've heard of H.P.Lovecraft,but haven't read any of their books. :)

IMO,nothing wrong with "Fun" reads:they make RL go away and leave me in peace for a while! Good old Escapism,and plenty of it, is kinda my personal Zen. ;)

As for the Shakespeare,I loathed dissecting the plays in English Lessons.I left High School vowing to never have anything to do with the Bard Of Avon again,but the strange thing is I rather like watching the plays on TV,or listening to the "Comedies" on radio.Weird! :)

KorbenDirewolf
May 26th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Mere accumulation of observational evidence is not proof.

michelleb
October 7th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Just thought I'd mention my supreme awe, respect and total worship of the great being known as Terry Pratchett...

I first came across Pratchett when I opened Wyrd Sisters and read this conversation.

"When shall we three meet again?"

"Well, I can do next tuesday"

It just started me giggling, and I haven't stopped since. It's not just that he's hysterically funny (becasue he is, and he has a wonderful sense of the absurd). It's that his characters are wonderfully real...well, as real as a werewolf, or a man with a duck on his head, or a librarian who happens to be orangatuan can be. (Hey, I used to be a librarian....he's not far wrong). They're not just ciphers or stereotypes to make us laugh, they are real, living, breathing people (well, except for Death, and his horse Binky) with feelings and emotions and flaws just like you and me (well, I say you..I presume you're human). We laugh hysterically with them as much as at them, and when they hurt, we cry with them too. (Okay, i admit it, I've cried at a Pratchett book..). And there have been times when's it's been bonechilling scary.

So, do you agree, or am I making as much sense as the Hedgehog song? Is Nanny Ogg surprisingly sexy, or just repulsive? Is Sam Vimes or Granny Weatherwax the coolest person on the planet balancing on four elephants on the back of a giant turtle? Is Lord Vetinari your sex god, or Captain Carrott?

There, I've started the ball rolling. Now someone else pick it up, run screaming with it before you're bought down by a well-mannered troll.

omnian
October 7th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Hey, I've got to agree; the Discworld books are pretty amazing. I've been reading them for about 7 years now. Not very long but I've loved it. I still haven't read them all yet! Should probably get the rest sometime....

Anywho, absolutely superb books and everyone should read them! :)

michelleb
October 7th, 2004, 06:48 AM
new one out, called going postal, set in ankh-morpork, so hopefully will have the nightwatch in..i love those guys..

Madeleine
October 7th, 2004, 07:03 AM
I liked the Three Horsemen And One Pedestrian of the Apocalypse, after the Four Horsemen had stopped for a drink at a pub where Binky got nicked.

I also like Dwarfbread, the bread that ensures that you never go hungry. It works on the principle that someone might think they're hungry, then look in their backpack and see their Dwarfbread and think "on second thoughts I'm not really hungry after all." I'm sure Dwarfbread was the inspiration for Nutrigrain bars.

the adventurer
October 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Discworld is one of the most engrossing worlds ever writen on paper. Greatest series ever, I can't pin point a spesific thing I enjoy more, because it's all one great big pot of good.

Going Postal is excelent. So are the Jr. Novels The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky that disc fans may have over looked.

ShadowMaat
October 7th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I like the Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, too. I was surprised when I reread one of the early discworld novels and found a reference to them. ;)

Ooo, and the Johnny series was pretty good, too. And Only You Can Save Makind.

michelleb
October 7th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Discworld is one of the most engrossing worlds ever writen on paper. Greatest series ever, I can't pin point a spesific thing I enjoy more, because it's all one great big pot of good.

Going Postal is excelent. So are the Jr. Novels The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky that disc fans may have over looked.

i read those two...they had granny weatherwax in! i loved them, found them amazingly atmospheric and spooky as well as funny. and yes, the amazing maurice and his rodents too...that was hysterical, and johnny and the dead...the only ones i haven't read are the truckers series.

ShadowMaat
October 7th, 2004, 09:55 AM
The Truckers series is OK. Not quite as engaging a read, but I still read all of them.

However, I was utterly unable to get into The Carpet People. I think I managed ten or twenty pages before giving up.

Next I wanna try the Unadulterated Cat. :D

Matt G
October 7th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Dad read the Truckers series to me as a kid and I've read the Johnny series as well. Both cool! Not really managed to get into the Discworld series.

Crazedwraith
October 7th, 2004, 02:19 PM
I've read a few. I liked The Dark Side of the Sun not Discworld though. I've read the first Three Discworlds which i found OK but rather too strange and disconected. I've laos read Monsturous Regiment Which not to put to fine a point on it ROCKED

SeaBee
October 8th, 2004, 06:21 PM
I think my favourite line in all his books is from Nanny Ogg.

A crowd has gathered, and Ogg wants to see what's happening, so she just elbows her way through, saying
"Excuse me, out of the way, nosey person coming through!"

ShadowMaat
October 8th, 2004, 06:29 PM
I love Death. He's so awesome with his love of cats and his taste for curry (although "taste" probably isn't the right word). That whole scene with Albert trying to explain Schrodinger's experiment to Death in Last Hero ranks as one of my favoritest scenes of all. :D

Susan has some good stuff, too. Particularly, "I don't frighten easily, but you'd be amazed at how angry I can become."

Hogfather is my annual Hogswatch- I mean, Christmas read. :)

SeaBee
October 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I thought the librarian building a chopper in "Soul Music", only to get it stolen by Death was funny, and the "Oh bugger" as he runs out of road had me in hysterics! :D

ShadowMaat
October 8th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Born to Rune. I've seriously considered putting that on a jacket of my own. Jean, though, not leather. ;)

SeaBee
October 8th, 2004, 07:22 PM
All I can say is "I gotta club. 's gotta nail in it."

You just can't beat that good ol' "music with rocks in" :)

I've always liked some of the stand alone DW novels, such as "Pyramids".
I loved the worlds greatest mathematitian You B*****d the camel, Ptracey, and the palace cats. Mrs. SeaBee, however, couldn't get into it.

ShadowMaat
October 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM
We're mean and turf an' we're mean and turf and we're mean an' turf an' me and my friends can walk towards you with our hats on backwards in a menacing way! Yo!

Or something like that. hehe

SeaBee
October 8th, 2004, 07:37 PM
We're mean and turf an' we're mean and turf and we're mean an' turf an' me and my friends can walk towards you with our hats on backwards in a menacing way! Yo!

Or something like that. hehe
LOL! :D I'd forgotten that! Definately one of his finest books. It's been a while, I'll have to track my copy down and spend some time wiht it this weekend.

dogbertisgod
October 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Is it just me, or were any other Discworld fans not too keen on 'Thief of time'?It was okay,but just a tad confusing for me. Although saying that,Jingo was supposed to be rubbish and i liked it. Mainly I'll admit for Nobby Nobbs as Beti!! 'Night Watch' was Very good though,a bit darker tha the rest,which i must say i enjoyed. Although Monstrous Regiment i found slightly disappinting. A bit predictable.

By the way, you guys/gals heard about the 'Troll Bridge' film? Don't know what it'll be like,but hopeful none the less.

dogbertisgod
October 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM
The Nac Mac Feegle are fantastic - "Bigjobs!" "ther' cann only be one thousand" Plus Nanny Ogg is Brilliant. Although if the words to the hedgehog song are similar to some i've heard, it's no wonder she's infamous for her singing!!

Madeleine
October 18th, 2004, 07:56 PM
(I've merged two threads, so if it looks like anyone is double-posting it isn't their fault)

the adventurer
October 19th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Is it just me, or were any other Discworld fans not too keen on 'Thief of time'?It was okay,but just a tad confusing for me. Although saying that,Jingo was supposed to be rubbish and i liked it.

I've never heard of any bad things about Jingo, quite the contary most people say it's one of the best.

As for The Thief of Time? For me it's my #1 favorite of all the Disc books. For the cosmic scale threat and the badass that is Lu-Tze. Lu-Tze is my favorite Disc character, period.

Frostfox
October 19th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I interviewed Terry at the Discworld convention earilier this year, he is an absolute doddle to get a good story out of, as anecdote, as well as on paper. Of course I was wearing Evil Corset of Doom (at his request, I might add), with which to distract the audience.

michelleb
October 20th, 2004, 03:05 AM
I'm going to require more information on the Evil Corset of Doom.

Frostfox
October 20th, 2004, 12:55 PM
I'm going to require more information on the Evil Corset of Doom.

You know, I couldn't find a google of me in Evil Corset of Doom! I'm obviously slipping (but if you google on freshly shagged milk maid... you get me in a medievel corset).
I'm MCing the Masquerade at Worldcon next year in Glasgow, I'll be wearing the corset for that. It's black and sliver and I bought it at Worldcon in Philly, I love it. :p

BruTak
October 21st, 2004, 06:51 AM
Forgive me if I'm backtracking a bit here, but once upon a time I dimly recall hearing that Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman were attempting to write a sequel to Good Omens to be called - wait for it - 668: The Neighbour of the Beast.

As for best Discworld line ever, my vote goes with Death in Mort: "I don't know about you, boy, but I could murder a curry."

ShadowMaat
October 21st, 2004, 07:36 AM
Just about everything Death says is awesome. ;)

Hadn't heard about a possible sequel to Good Omens, but I'd LOVE to see it. That's one of my favoritest books. :)

BruTak
October 21st, 2004, 07:54 AM
Just about everything Death says is awesome. ;)

Hadn't heard about a possible sequel to Good Omens, but I'd LOVE to see it. That's one of my favoritest books. :)
The line forms behind me and circles the planet several times on that one I'm afraid.

The problem is that both Terry and Neil are both waaay too busy with their own projects to collaborate on anything in the near future.

There's a new book of Discworld art by Paul Kidby out now, sort of a Dicsworld Portfolio Vol. 2 kind of thing.

Lunar
October 26th, 2004, 06:07 AM
LOVE the guards, though. I even have the graphic novel of Guards! Guards! ...
I wanna say there's some theatre troupe in London that puts on productions of Pterry's stuff. Would love to see THAT some day. :D

Oh yes! Vimes is my favourite character...
:D
My theatre group is putting on Guards! Guards! in February...
We're only a Youth Theatre but under the superb direction of, uh, me and my friend ( :D ) I'm hopeful we'll put on a pretty decent production.

BruTak
October 26th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Oh yes! Vimes is my favourite character...
:D
My theatre group is putting on Guards! Guards! in February...
We're only a Youth Theatre but under the superb direction of, uh, me and my friend ( :D ) I'm hopeful we'll put on a pretty decent production.
So far I've seen my local Youth Theatre's production of Mort (pretty good, but the guy playing Death was a bit on the podgy side), an open air drama student production of Hogfather (very good indeed), and a professional production of Guards! Guards! in Edinburgh (which starred Paul Darrow as Vimes and was fabulous).

You have got to include the business about "The door through which knowlessmen may not pass sticks something wicked in the damp", it's one of my favourite scenes in the novel.

Hex.FTB.enabled
January 27th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Just wondering if there's any Terry Pratchett fans out there? My boyfriend got me addicted to the novels and he has quickly become my favorite author, but it seems most people in the States have never heard of him! Any favorite characters, books, etc.??

ShadowMaat
January 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Loads of fans are lurking out there. In fact, a thread was already started for Pratchett fans, it's just fallen to the wayside. ;)

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=4870

Death and Vimes are my favorites.

BruTak
January 28th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I've got a soft spot for Ridcully, Archchancellor of Unseen University.
DEATH is cool too - "I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BOY, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY..." classic stuff.

Purpleyin
May 7th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Getting into all the non-SG threads around could not resist this one. :)

I got introduced to Terry Pratchett with "Johnny and the Dead" and then Truckers etc but I've always had a particular soft spot for the whole Discworld series. Haven't read them all yet but then he has been writing pretty quick these last few years and I can never afford to buy them fullprice or hardback. Right now I've got about the latest 8 on loan from a friend who spends silly amonuts of money on books, not that I'm complaining. For some reason I'm 2/3 through Nightwatch and almost finished Hogfather. Used to not be able to stop reading but life is getting in the way more frequently now I'm at university.

I think my favourite charaters are (quite a few I know but hard not to like - in terms of interest - even the evilest ones in his books, pretty hard to choose for me), Rincewind and the Luggage, Death, Susan, Angua, Vimes, the Bursar, Ponder Stibbons, Agnes, Ridcully, Greebo (my kinda cat ;)), Hex (if only it exsited...) and very recently I'm particularly enjoying Vetenari alot...

Anyone played the games? I almost finished the first one (got some weird bug in the game where it wouldn't let me do what I knew I needed to do to get to that last cut scene. Grr) and I completed Discworld noir which was quite an enjoyable change from the books, given that as far as I know none of that was in any.

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I did hear at some point the next book is a Granny Weatherwax story. She's one of my all-time favs (despite my name), so I really hope that's true.

SallyLizzie
May 19th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I've read a few. I liked The Dark Side of the Sun not Discworld though. I've read the first Three Discworlds which i found OK but rather too strange and disconected. I've laos read Monsturous Regiment Which not to put to fine a point on it ROCKED
Ooo I'm just over a third into Montrous Regiment and am very much enjoying it. Never read any TP before (watched Truckers as a kid, think i had a book aswell come to think of it) but i was bought it for xmas and i lurve it! :D

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Ooo I'm just over a third into Montrous Regiment and am very much enjoying it. Never read any TP before (watched Truckers as a kid, think i had a book aswell come to think of it) but i was bought it for xmas and i lurve it! :D
Oh I loved that one! The end is priceless. I'd recommend reading the Vimes books because once you really know that character, his cameos in M.R. are hysterical. (Also, Vimes IMHO is one of Pratchett's all-time best characters).

ShadowMaat
May 19th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Vimes and Death are my hands-down faves. :D Although I rather like Susan, too. Never cared for Rincewind, despite his being one of the supposedly most beloved characters in Discworld. :rolleyes:

Perriman33
May 20th, 2005, 01:10 AM
The more of TPs Discworld books you read the better it gets. I like the fact he has links to characters in other books, it makes the world seem more real. Well as real as you can get with a disc shaped world 4 elephants and a turtle travelling through space anyway. :D I think Going Postal was one of my favourites so far, living in England where the mail service is similar helped. :D I think the librarian has to be my fave character, life seems to be much simpler when all you look forward to is the next banana.

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 20th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Yeah, they're up there along with Granny Weatherwax for me. It's hard to narrow it down, but the wizards aren't my favs, which helps with that (except for Hex, as evidenced by my name). Oh, and Lu-Tze. He kicks a**! :D

ShadowMaat
May 20th, 2005, 06:16 AM
The witches haven't really done much for me, either (though I LOVE Greebo!) but I'm beginning to like Granny more through the Nac Mac Feegle books. :) And the Feegle are pretty funny, themselves.

mazzmatazz
May 20th, 2005, 06:40 AM
War: "We've got ... let's see now ... Egg and Cress, Chicken Tikka, and Mature Cheese with Crunchy Pickle, I think."
Death: THEY DO SUCH MARVELLOUS THINGS WITH SANDWICHES THESE DAYS.
War: "Oh ... and Bacon Surprise."
Death: REALLY? WHAT IS SO SURPRISING ABOUT BACON?
War: "I don't know. I suppose it comes as something of a shock to the pig."

Death is probably my favourite, followed by the luggage. Although I do like Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler and his various counterparts in foreign climes ;)

Purpleyin
May 20th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Death is probably my favourite, followed by the luggage. Although I do like Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler and his various counterparts in foreign climes ;)
I have to say out of the earlier books I love the luggage. I'm pretty happy with Rincewind but that's probably helped by his random survival skills and being voiced by Eric Idle in the PC games. Has the luggage been in any recent books? I'm still quite a bit behind on reading them, got about 8 recent ones on loan from a bookaholic friend. :)

.:Lemon:.
May 21st, 2005, 10:12 AM
Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authours! I love the Discword series, my fave characters are Vimes and Death :D

Immy
May 22nd, 2005, 02:25 AM
Yay a Pratchett thread :D I'm kinda obssesed with Discworld. I've got so many fav character its hard to chose, but I'd have to say that at the top of my list are Death, Vimes, Carrot, Nanny Ogg, Ridcully, Foul Ol'Ron, Cohen, Mad Hamish and of corse Vetinari. But my fav most resent one is Not-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock-Jock (I think I just like the name :D)

I have to say out of the earlier books I love the luggage. I'm pretty happy with Rincewind but that's probably helped by his random survival skills and being voiced by Eric Idle in the PC games. Has the luggage been in any recent books? I'm still quite a bit behind on reading them, got about 8 recent ones on loan from a bookaholic friend. :)
The illustrated book from 2001 'The Last Hero' has Rincewind and the Luggage

BritAngie
May 22nd, 2005, 03:00 AM
Have read good omens which was great and a few others from that series but have got overwhelmed with just how many books he's written!!

Purpleyin
May 22nd, 2005, 05:04 AM
The illustrated book from 2001 'The Last Hero' has Rincewind and the Luggage
Ah, I should have remembered - I've actually read that one!

Just a quick question, has anyone played the PC games?

I played the first, nearly finished it but got stuck and played part of the second but it was on loan from a firend so had to give it back, but I've completed Discworld Noir and have to say that was really quite good. I think what was best about it (other than my general love for adventures games) was it had a plot that I haven't seen in any of the books, so you don't actually already know what should happen.

That said the first game was sort of the other side of the story for, I think, "Guards! Guards!". Didn't play 2nd game enough to be able to remember what book it was based on, possibly the one where the dead rise?

ShadowMaat
May 22nd, 2005, 07:13 AM
Have read good omens which was great and a few others from that series but have got overwhelmed with just how many books he's written!!
Good Omens is still one of my faves and I'm still heartbroken that the movie deal fell through. :( Terry Gilliam was set to direct. That dude is seriously twisted. If ANYONE were capapble of bringing Good Omens (or any of the Duscworld books) to life, it'd be Terry.

I was skimming over Gaiman's blog yesterday and he had a link to an article on Terry where he mentioned Good Omens falling through. Apparently JOHNNY DEPP was going to be Crowley and Robin Williams was gonna be Aziraphael. *boggles* Depp as Crowley. *boggles* People would have been so all over that it isn't even funny. And we missed out on it. Damn.

Perriman33
May 22nd, 2005, 08:07 AM
I heard that a discworld film was in the making! From what i can gather they were waiting for computer graphics to get to a certain level before starting. I presume this means most of the backgrounds will be CGI. Any ideas who would be good for the parts? :D

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 22nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Amen to that Shadow. I'd followed it for awhile, and poor Terry Gilliam just doesn't have very good luck. Perriman33, where'd you hear about a discworld film?

Purpleyin
May 23rd, 2005, 04:24 AM
I had a search online after it was mentioned here and all I can find was mention of 3 fan films. One now abandonned but well planned by alt.fan.pratchett production of Maskerade that never made it to filming, a low budget production of Lords & Ladies condoned by Pratchett and also a fan production of Pratchett's short story Trollbridge. Couldn't find news of any other big budget films though.

Lords and Ladies site
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~jknoblo2/LnL/index.html

Trollbridge site
http://www.snowgumfilms.com/trollbridge/index.htm

Perriman33
May 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM
Perriman33, where'd you hear about a discworld film?
My missus was a unit driver for tvshows and films. She met a cameraman who said he was being hired next year for one of the discworld novels. He asked if it was useful to read all the books. To be fair production companies pick-up and drop shows/films all the time, so it may have been shelved until funding was sorted. Sorry to get hopes up :o But i think the train of thought was -if they can do harry potter books to films! :)

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2005, 07:34 AM
There have been rumors of a Dragonriders of Pern series/movie being made which have been floating around for years, too. Alas, I don't think that'll ever happen, either. Although with CGI being what it is today, I think they could do a fantastic job. Peter Williams even said Anne told him he'd make a perfect F'lar. ;)

So in that vein, and to get this somewhat back on topic, how about casting a Discworld movie? :D

I think James Earl Jones as the voice of Death would probably be a little TOO obvious, but maybe Dennis Haysbert instead. I love him. :)

How about Steve Buscemi as Nobby? ;)

Perriman33
May 23rd, 2005, 07:48 AM
How about bruce willis as vimes? Or Madonna as granny weatherwax :D Or Britney as magrat :D and Maggie smith as nanny ogg, no makeup needed there then :D Oh and Arnie as cohen :eek:

teddybearnospaces
May 23rd, 2005, 08:10 AM
Interesting Times and Hogfather changed my life. I'm not kidding. Absolutely changed my life. There is one discworld book I have not read, it is Going Postal, the most recent. I have not read the truckers series, but that's not entirely my fault, it's hard to get that series on this side of the pond. I do however (thank you Hex) have an autographed copy of Good Omens. Sadly it is autographed by Gamen and not Prachett. Anycase. Yeah, he's the closest thing to an idol I've ever had.
~Teddy

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2005, 08:21 AM
Truckers is available in the US, now, but it's in the kid's section along with the Amazing Maurice and the Feegle books.

The only ones I haven't read are Carpet People (which was so tedious I had to stop reading it after the first few pages) and Unadulterated Cat, which I skim through but haven't read completely.

And I can see Bruce doing Vimes, if we wanna go with big names, but I'm not sure about those other choices. :P

May 23rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
How about Steve Buscemi as Nobby? ;)

Steve Buscemi's great! He'd be perfect for Nobby :p

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 23rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
:D Teddy and I have often played the Discworld casting game. Off the top of my head, some of the ones I like: After seeing Calendar Girls, Helen Mirren and Julie Waters as Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg (Maggie Smith could prolly do a good Granny also), Ian McKellan as Vetinari, John Cleese as Ridcully (or the Bursar as the case may be), and Christopher Lee did the voice of Death in the cartoon movies quite.

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM
BTW, is it ve-ti-nar-ee or ve-ti-nair-ee? I always said nar, but one of the recent books made me think that was wrong...

Ian McKellan would probably be good, although I have an aversion to too many big names in my own casting. ;) I like unknowns better because then it's about the STORY and not about who's in it. :P

Purpleyin
May 23rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
Hmm. Could see John Cleese as the bursar. For Veternari I'm just stuck on Cliff Simon... and I've just had the oddest idea of Simon Pegg as Rincewind (or maybe Ponder Stibbons?).

Perriman33
May 23rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
I must admit i prefer films to have lesser known actors, but it would be difficult to explain who some of the less well known people are. Also i think jackie chan as twoflower. And Orlando Bloom as the luggage cos his acting is a bit wooden :D

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2005, 10:24 AM
ooooo, Cliff as Vetinari. THAT would be awesome. And scary. ;)

How about Chris Barrie as Rincewind? Rimmer from Red Dwarf. We know he can do spineless, anyway. :D Then Cleese as the Bursar.

Perriman33
May 23rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Yeah Chris Barrie would be good as rincewind, havent seen him on the box lately though. David jason as cut-me-own-throat-dibbler? :D

mazzmatazz
May 23rd, 2005, 12:15 PM

How about Chris Barrie as Rincewind? Rimmer from Red Dwarf. We know he can do spineless, anyway. :D Then Cleese as the Bursar.

Ohhh, that'd be perfect! I'd love to see Alan Rickman as someone... the voice of death is perhaps too cliche though.

mazzmatazz
May 23rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
HTB just said Eric Idle should be Rincewind, or the guy that was Arthur Dent in the HHGG Film (I forget his name), and Warwick Davis in a dreadful quality ape suit as the Librarian, we'll have none of this fancy CGI here thankyou ;)

Lunar
May 23rd, 2005, 12:41 PM
Martin Freeman... intersting choice, actually for Rincewind.
I'd like to see unknowns in the main roles (boring aren't I?) because I've imagined these characters for so many years... to have a famous face fitted to them would kind of end that for me...
But I've always thought in terms of looks RDA would make a good Vimes... But he's a bit tall... Plus, I don't know if he could carry off the dark broody-ness. Has everyone here read the spoilers for the new book?
It looks good... (for a Vimes fangirl like me, anyway!)
Check out bonsaidiscworld if you haven't and would like to!

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 23rd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Eric Idle as Rincewind would be brilliant. I think RDA could get the Vimes attitude, but I have to hear Vimes speak with a British accent, and I'm not sure accents are RDA's strong suit. I'd love to see Ewan McGregor as somebody just cos I think he's a great actor. And I've always seen Michael Clarke Duncan as Mr. Tulip (I think that was the big guy's name) from The Truth. :)

ShadowMaat
May 23rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
I always figured Vimes as more of a Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry-ish type and I don't see RDA as that.

Might be funny to have some mega super ultra star cast as a cameo-type character. Sigourney Weaver as one of the Agony Aunts or Bruce Willis as Foul Ol' Ron. ;)

Ewan MacGregor as a pre-Hogfather background role of Mr. Teatime. :D

Purpleyin
May 23rd, 2005, 02:11 PM

Cliff as Vetenari because playing Ba'al he always had a sense of people would get what was coming to them, which to me would fit quite well for Vetenari. I'm sure he could manage it. Sort of calm, regal and someone who emanates the aura of being very very bad to cross. :D
I could see Barrie as Rincewind but maybe I've been influence by his voicing the Simon the Sorceror games.

Ewan MacGregor as a pre-Hogfather background role of Mr. Teatime. :D
Strangely enough that doesn't sound that strange. :)

David jason as cut-me-own-throat-dibbler? :D
Might work but I never saw Dibbler as being as old as Jason is now... Could easily see Nicholas Lyndhurst ("Rodney Trotter") as the character instead.

Eric Idle as Rincewind would be brilliant.
He was great voicing Rincewind in the pc game. One thing that I'm not clear on is how old Rincewind is. In the illustrations he looks like he has grey hair but they gave ginger hair in the game, which obviously makes him look quite young - and confuses me as to which is correct and obviously makes my casting guesses difficult. :S Hoping someone here could correct me.

HTB just said Eric Idle should be Rincewind, or the guy that was Arthur Dent in the HHGG Film (I forget his name), and Warwick Davis in a dreadful quality ape suit as the Librarian, we'll have none of this fancy CGI here thankyou ;)
Martin Freeman? Couldn't really see him as Rincewind so much, not a bad idea but I can just see others as better choices. But I'd say he would be good for someone, must be, just who?

Warwick Davis as the librarian would be fab and much prefered to a cgi character, though I'm sure they'd need it somewhere, for jumping maybe. Always something that needs enhancing. :rolleyes:

I'd love to see Alan Rickman as someone... the voice of death is perhaps too cliche though.
Cliche but very good. I loved him as the voice of Marvin in H2G2 and he could probably do Death justice. That or get Christopher Lee back.

Bet Richard E Grant would be good for someone too but who?
And anyone got any ideas on Carrot? Or even Angua? Susan.
Sorry, having too much fun with the casting game. :D

BruTak
May 26th, 2005, 08:00 AM
My problem with "Fantasy Discworld Movie" is that all the actors who would be pitch perfect for the roles are all dead.

for example I always pictured Spike Milligan as the Bursar, and Jemes Robertson Justice as Ridcully.

Of course, younger members of this forum whon't have a clue who James Robertson Justice is...
(Wanders off, muttering darkly to himself about "Young people today...")

Purpleyin
June 8th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Just finished Nigtwatch last week (nothing like revision to get you reading books you haven't finished) - one thing I didn't get was why Vetenari was wearing the violet in the original timeline, when he wasn't there so to speak until Vimes' Keel survived the barricade and had the fight that the young Veternari also fought in after the apparent death of 'Keel' and Carcer... feel like I'm missing something or that there's a misunderstnading of mine over the time traveling used.
Next on my reading list, visiting relatives for next few days perfect for reading, is Monstrous regiment. :)

Hex.FTB.enabled
June 8th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Time travel's tricky. [SPOLIERS]I think the point was that there never was a Keel mentor, only Vimes-As-Keel. It's that confusing thing of you've already done something since it's in the past, you just haven't done it yet. (headache). So, techinically Vetinari was always there.[/SPOILERS]At least, that's what I remember thinking, but it's been awhile since I read that one. And I LOVED Monstrous Regiment, enjoy!

Perriman33
June 12th, 2005, 01:39 AM
I must admit since reading through all the replies ive started reading the discworld books all over again.So far im up to Guards Guards which is the first one i remember reading all those years ago.Any ideas what the next book will be? I had to laugh at Bruce Willis as Foul Ole Ron its just so him! :D Mike Myers as rincewind might work as well! :)

BruTak
June 13th, 2005, 02:49 AM
I must admit since reading through all the replies ive started reading the discworld books all over again.So far im up to Guards Guards which is the first one i remember reading all those years ago.Any ideas what the next book will be? I had to laugh at Bruce Willis as Foul Ole Ron its just so him! :D Mike Myers as rincewind might work as well! :)
Sean Bean as Vimes. Chris Eccleston as Carrot. Sylvester McCoy as Nobby. Mel Smith as Fred Colon.

Perriman33
June 13th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Sean Bean as Vimes. Chris Eccleston as Carrot. Sylvester McCoy as Nobby. Mel Smith as Fred Colon.

Mel smith,is he still alive? :D I was thinking more johnny vegas as colon :D

BruTak
June 13th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Mel smith,is he still alive? :D I was thinking more johnny vegas as colon :D
Mel Smith is still around as far as I know, but he's more of a director that actor/performer these days.
I kind of picture Johnny Vegas as one of Nanny Ogg's innumerable brood.

Perriman33
June 13th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Mel Smith is still around as far as I know, but he's more of a director that actor/performer these days.
I kind of picture Johnny Vegas as one of Nanny Ogg's innumerable brood.

Or nanny ogg herself! :D How about Tom Cruise as carrot ( on stilts of course) :D

BruTak
June 13th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Or nanny ogg herself! :D How about Tom Cruise as carrot ( on stilts of course) :D
Johnny Vegas in drag?!? (shudder) There will now be a brief pause while I gouge out my eyeballs... ;)

Perriman33
June 13th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Johnny Vegas in drag?!? (shudder) There will now be a brief pause while I gouge out my eyeballs... ;)

Just gouge one for the moment mate, you'll need something left in case he appears naked. :D
How about a favourite book?

Purpleyin
June 13th, 2005, 05:07 AM
I can exactly see the first two but isn't McCoy a bit old for Nobby? After all nobby's younger than Colon...

Now that I'd rather peversely want to see... :D (The drag, not the gouging incase you were wondering)

Favourite book - I think somehow my first is still my favourite in my mind, might change my mind if I reread them all but I loved Guards!Guards!. Fond of all the watch books really and very much enjoying Monstrous Regiment. Maladict, Jackrum, Polly, certainly no shortage of great characters.

June 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM
How about a favourite book?

Mine would probably be Guards!Guards! I think that's because I like the characters the best :p Although I really like Death (the character, not actual death!), so I suppose Mort was quite good in the way that we got to see another side to the Grim Reaper himself ;)

Hex.FTB.enabled
June 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM
A Fav is hard. Overall, prolly Witches Abroad because I loved what he did to fairy tales, and the mirror thing at the end was brilliant. But Nightwatch is one of the most addictive stories, and the commentary on religion in Small Gods is the best. Ever. :)

mazzmatazz
June 13th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Mort, most definitely. It was the first one I read, and as Death is my favourite character anyway, I loved it.

There's something about anthropomorphic personifications that cracks me up :p

BruTak
June 16th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Just gouge one for the moment mate, you'll need something left in case he appears naked. :D
Johnny Vegas in the nude!!! :eek: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! :eek: (runs away screaming in terror, plucking out eyeballs on the run)

Bloodthirsteve
December 7th, 2005, 05:04 AM
I loooooooooove Terry Pratchett! his books are simply awesome :D

BruTak
December 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Okay, quick poll - who's read Mr. P's Discworld picture-book "Where's My Cow?":D

ShadowMaat
December 12th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Okay, quick poll - who's read Mr. P's Discworld picture-book "Where's My Cow?":D
I have! :D

I have to say, though, I was a wee bit disappointed. I think I'd have preferred to have the actual book as opposed to Sam reading the book. Or at the very least, get a different illustrator. I didn't like the way that items were anthropomorphized. But maybe it's because I'm too old to appreciate it. :P

BruTak
December 13th, 2005, 06:37 AM
I have! :D

I have to say, though, I was a wee bit disappointed. I think I'd have preferred to have the actual book as opposed to Sam reading the book. Or at the very least, get a different illustrator. I didn't like the way that items were anthropomorphized. But maybe it's because I'm too old to appreciate it. :P
Right then, next question - was it just me, or did the artist make Vimes look like actor Pete Posslethwaite?

ShadowMaat
December 13th, 2005, 10:25 AM
LOL! Alas, I have no idea what Peter looks like, so I can't really say. He does seem reminiscent of Paul Kidby's version of Vimes. ...I think. Which doesn't mean it isn't still meant to look like Petey.

Tok'Ra Hostess
December 13th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Bunch of Pratchett worshippers, in my family. We have the whole collection, now including some of the audio books. I've read up to The Hogfather in the Discworld series, the Diggers/Truckers/Wings series, Carpet People and Amazing Maurice.

Death is my fav character - he tries so hard - and I just love good, solid, reasonable Susan Sto Helit. Stories involving the witches are my favorites, though.

Bloodthirsteve
December 14th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Bunch of Pratchett worshippers, in my family. We have the whole collection, now including some of the audio books. I've read up to The Hogfather in the Discworld series, the Diggers/Truckers/Wings series, Carpet People and Amazing Maurice.

Death is my fav character - he tries so hard - and I just love good, solid, reasonable Susan Sto Helit. Stories involving the witches are my favorites, though.

yeah Death really rock! he's my fave character too!

BruTak
December 15th, 2005, 07:09 AM
LOL! Alas, I have no idea what Peter looks like, so I can't really say. He does seem reminiscent of Paul Kidby's version of Vimes. ...I think. Which doesn't mean it isn't still meant to look like Petey.
Gotta love Death - I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BOY. BUT i COULD MURDER A CURRY...

Go to www.imdb.com/find?q=Pete%20Posslethwaite;s=all if you want a list of movies and so on ol' Pete's been in.

How about we all put our thinking helmets on, and see if we can come up with an ideal cast list for a Discworld movie?:D

Naeara
December 15th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Actually, I usually don't think beyond the first two, but now that I've given it a bit more thought, I'd have to say (in no particular order):
Good Omens by Pterry and Neil Gaiman
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook (hey, if I'm gonna be alone I'm gonna need to know how to survive!)
And then either a book of HP Lovecraft stories (because being abandoned in the mysterious middle of nowhere isn't scary enough), a book of baby names (for story writing purposes), or maybe Bellwether by Connie Willis.

To Say Nothing of the Dog is a fantastic book. I just loved it. I haven't read Bellwether though. How does that one compare?

As for TP, the Discworld series is definitely one of my favourites. I love the Witches (and Death too, of course ;) ). I just got finished with The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky and I'm about to start on Going Postal. I still have Thud! to read too.

ShadowMaat
December 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Bellwether is similar in its lightweight "comedy of errors" approach to romance. I'd say TSNOTD has the better story, but Bellwether is still fun and full of useless trivia.

Does anyone NOT love Death? :D I kinda figure James Earl Jones would be the ultimate for voicing Death (assuming we go with a Gollum-like CGI-overlay creation instead of a dude in a cloak).

I figure the cast should be mostly English (I prefer authentic accents) but that kinda limits me since I'm not familiar enough with the casting possibilities on the other side of the pond... outside of Harry Potter and Doctor Who people. ;)

BruTak
December 16th, 2005, 07:33 AM
To Say Nothing of the Dog is a fantastic book. I just loved it. I haven't read Bellwether though. How does that one compare?

As for TP, the Discworld series is definitely one of my favourites. I love the Witches (and Death too, of course ;) ). I just got finished with The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky and I'm about to start on Going Postal. I still have Thud! to read too.
Thud! is hilarious. There's a scene where Nobby and Fred Colon are "proceeding", and they're discussing Nobby's girlfriend, who happens to be a pole-dancer...:D

That's the thing about Mr. P. he's that rarest of rare things, an author that's laugh-out-loud funny.

I was having a discussion with some like minded friends a couple of months ago, and we concluded that the reason there hasn't been a Discworld movie is fear. The movie producers are so scared they'll get it totally wrong, cock it up, and there'll be an angry mob of Prathcett fans waving pitchforks and baying for their blood.

Naeara
December 16th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Thud! is hilarious. There's a scene where Nobby and Fred Colon are "proceeding", and they're discussing Nobby's girlfriend, who happens to be a pole-dancer...:D

Nobby with a pole-dancing girlfriend. Sounds...interesting. LOL. I'm still trying to burn the image of Nobby dressed as a woman in Jingo from my mind. :p

Purpleyin
December 17th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Nobby... with a girlfriend?! The mind boggles...

As for casting for the film, having just watched Gormenghast my head is full of memories of good British actors. I'm thinking Ian Richardson (http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0007183/) would make a good wizard, possibly the bursar. Mark Williams (http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0931247/) could be a great wizard too, and I'm not just saying that because he was one in the Harry Potter films - Martin Clunes too after seeing him as a professor in Gormenghast.

Thing is if they ever feasibly made a film, would they go book by book or condense stuff or even have whole new story for it to introduce characters?

Also I can't shake the feeling that Simon Pegg (http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0670408/) would make a good young wizard, maybe Ponder Stibbons or maybe just one of the other ones who were working on Hex. And I can't identify what role he'd be good for but I get the feeling Sean Hughes (http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0400923/) would be good for some one, just can't think who...

I need to catch up on my Pratchett reading this Christmas, so many new books to read - luckily my housemate buys them all as soon as and then lends them to me. :D

BruTak
December 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Ok, this is gonna go right over most people's heads, but - I think legendary mad Brit musician Roy Wood should have a cameo part in a Discworld movie. :D

susanne
December 25th, 2006, 09:27 AM
i just rewatched the hogfather and oh my god i love it! the man is a genius
susan- grand daughter of death, has similar powers to him, she just wants to be normal but cant be.

death-doesnt fully understand humans, but is intreauged by them, he cannot enter another magical creatures domain unless it no longer exists ( as in the castle of bone)

albert- a disgruntled wizard who tried to cheat death, his spell backfired and he ended up working for him, albert will frey ANYTHING

death- albert is frying chrsitmas pudding......

mr tea time- a psychopath given the duty of inhuming (killing) the hogfather.

the hogfather- a take on our santa clause, he rides a sleigh pulled by giant pigs.

i think terry did a great job with this. so tell us your views
(PS. shadowmaat i love your avvy teehee ;))

ShadowMaat
December 25th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Love the book, mostly love the film, although I still say Marc Warren got Teatime (Tay-ah-tah-may) all wrong. *sigh* I need to re-read the book (for the dozenth time) and figure out what's different, beyond the obvious.

*huggles her avvy*

Gonna need to find something to replace my av and sig now that Hogswatch is over.

Ooo, and I got a turtle ornament for the tree. All I could think was that it was the Great A'tuin... minus the elephants and the Disc. ;)

susanne
December 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM
havent read the book yet but i was fascinated by the movie i found death the funniest....i hope that didnt sound too morbid :P lol

Flyboy
May 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Well, I was going to make a Discworld appreciation post, but looky what the search function brought up.

Seems a bit pointless now...

Though apparently Sky One are now planning on making "The Colour of Magic" into a tv movie like Hogfather, unfortunately they want to cast David Jason as RINCEWIND! Even after he played Albert! Strikes me personally that Nicholas Lindhurst would be a better Rincewind...

Anyway, as for books, Small Gods is my favourite.

ShadowMaat
May 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I recently snagged a BBC Radio adaptation of Small Gods which I really enjoyed. I've been listening to some of the others and they've ranged from mediocre to unlistenable.

Dunno about adapting Colour of Magic. As I said before, I didn't really enjoy the story and I'd agree about the wrongness of David Jason to play Rincewind. It isn't even that he's already played Albert, it's that he's nothing at all like how I pictured Rincewind.

Flyboy
May 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I liked Colour of Magic a lot, but I'm in severe doubt as to its suitability for adapatation for a family christmas movie, it's a little too... fantasy, if that makes sense? Hogfather, at least felt only mildly fantasy. But with C of M we're talking Dungeons and Dragons stuff...

With todays politics, I reckon Jingo would be good... but aside from that there's maybe Mort? Or even Wyrd Sisters would be a good one. Althought I like the idea of Guards! Guards!

ShadowMaat
May 26th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Mort might be kinda fun, or Small Gods, since you mentioned it. ;) And speaking of politics, a certain vicious part of me thinks Monstrous Regiment might be a fun choice. :D I dunno how well that'd translate to the small screen, though.

I'd dearly love to see a movie about the Watch, but on the other hand I think it could only disappoint, especially if Hogfather is their idea of what Nobby looks like. :P

Flyboy
May 26th, 2007, 05:42 PM
This is true, Nobby proved to be a dissapointment to me in Hogfather. Ha, I'd loike to see Small Gods played at Christmas! That would REALLY go down well... But yeah... Monstrous Regiment, I could see that working.

ShadowMaat
May 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Saw Pirates 3 today and finally hit on a good match for Rincewind: Mackenzie Cook, who plays that pirate with the wooden eye. I think he's probably too young for the part, but he has the right look IMO. Gangly and awkward and parts that don't quite seem to match. ;)

Flyboy
May 27th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Saw Pirates 3 today and finally hit on a good match for Rincewind: Mackenzie Cook, who plays that pirate with the wooden eye. I think he's probably too young for the part, but he has the right look IMO. Gangly and awkward and parts that don't quite seem to match. ;)
No no no no nooooooooooo

Nicholas Lindhurst! AKA Rodney Trotter!

Naonak
May 28th, 2007, 03:30 AM
For Rincewind, I reckon Eric Idle would be awesome.
He voiced him brilliantly in a couple of games, and I think he would look right too.

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Nicholas Lindhurst! AKA Rodney Trotter!
I don't know who that is. :P

Eric Idle maybe, although I think he tends to get over-used for things. For good reason, yes, but still a bit saturated.

Flyboy
June 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I don't know who that is. :P

Eric Idle maybe, although I think he tends to get over-used for things. For good reason, yes, but still a bit saturated.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/images/400/goodnightsweatheart3.jpg

On the left.

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hmm... he does look a bit Rincewindy, doesn't he? And a better age bracket, too. ;)

Flyboy
June 5th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Yep. Give him a small beard and get him to run like there's no tomorrow and you've got Rincewind!

Snowflake
June 7th, 2007, 01:25 AM
okay, you guys just made the best site on gateworld for me. I am so grateful!
I am reading Jingo right now... again.

Flying Officer Bennett--- This is true, Nobby proved to be a disappointment to me in Hogfather. Ha, I'd like to see Small Gods played at Christmas! That would REALLY go down well... But yeah... Monstrous Regiment, I could see that working.
Small Gods play at Christmas eh? Sounds like a good idea to me.:)

Flyboy
June 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM
okay, you guys just made the best site on gateworld for me. I am so grateful!
I am reading Jingo right now... again.

Small Gods play at Christmas eh? Sounds like a good idea to me.:)
Jingo is brillaint. I've been reading them all in order and finished Jingo about a week or so ago, I'm now on Carpe Jugulum. Which is actually proving to be rather fantastic. I generally don't like Witches novels that much. I find them rather tedious and a little dull. Wyrd Sisters, up till now, being the only one I liked much. So, it is nice to see the last Witches book proving me wrong.

I prefer the City Watch and Rincewind in all honesty... and that's great, because after CJ, I've got Fifth Elephant, Science of Discworld and the Last Hero still to come! :D

Although incidentally, I'm devestated that the Last Hero is the last Rincewind book. I Know there are only four of the adult novels after it, but still... I hope Rincewind hasn't been permanently retired to the Science books.

On two competely different notes...

Are people looking forward to "Making Money"? I'm hoping to be fully up to date by the time it comes out...

and

How do you guys think Pratchett should end the Discworld series?

Naonak
June 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Although incidentally, I'm devestated that the Last Hero is the last Rincewind book. I Know there are only four of the adult novels after it, but still... I hope Rincewind hasn't been permanently retired to the Science books.
I probably like the Rincewind ones best, too. Pratchett has said that he wants to do another one before he finishes it, so here's hopin'...

How do you guys think Pratchett should end the Discworld series?
If he actually decides to put some finality to the last book so that it's actually over, the wizards should accidentally end the universe. ;) Maybe in a big 'crossover'-type thing, with all the various characters (Rincewind, Death, Vimes, etc.) doing something.

I don't really want that, though, as the characters and the Disc itself have developed too much for it to just end. I'm not really sure - maybe just a normal book, the fact that it's the last one being incidental.

ShadowMaat
June 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Wait, last as in last last? As in no more Rincewind books ever? Damn, I need to reread that and figure out why. I've only recently developed a toleration for Rincewind, so I rpobably ignored whatever I heard about him. ;)

As for how Terry should end the series, I don't think he should. Whatever the last book is, it is. If he wants to tie up a few things, fine, but it's hard to wrap up an entire world, especially when you have so many diverse characters, so why bother? Everyone just goes on living. Except the ones who don't. The end. ;)

Snowflake
June 8th, 2007, 01:45 AM
^good call. I would hate it if he ended them. I do not think he will though, he might say he is and then three years later he will write another one. You just can't kill a world like that, it would be like watching a movie where they blow up earth and no one survives, tragic and sad.:( I think I would cry:thoranime01:
ShadowMaat- you did not like Rincewind? why ever not? He is great, but I think I like his walking chest a little better than him.

Flyboy
June 8th, 2007, 04:45 AM
My only concern is that the great gentleman is getting on, I'd rather see him put some finality to it, maybe just one big book with most of the main characters in... something special, as his final book. It doesn't have to be the destruction of the universe, but something to say that he didnt die and leave the saga unfinished.

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM
ShadowMaat- you did not like Rincewind? why ever not? He is great, but I think I like his walking chest a little better than him.
I dunno, I think I just found him annoying and thought the whole coward thing got old really fast. I'm understanding him a bit better now.

And if Pterry keels over one day without ever wrapping things up, that's still fine by me. Well, not his keeling over and not the fact that there would never be another Discworld book, but the lack of wrap-up. I don't feel the need for any closure.

Snowflake
June 16th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I think it would be interesting to see if anyone else is able to write about discworld and actually get the writing and theory right. I just do not know that many writers that could accomplish the task.
:)

Naonak
August 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM
According to Sci-Fi Wire (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=42895), production has started on the TV adaptation of The Colour of Magic.
David Jason is playing Rincewind, which is weird, and Sean Astin (Sam in the LOTR films) is playing Twoflower.
Christopher Lee is taking over as the voice of Death, after the death of Ian Richardson, who voiced him/it in Hogfather.

It's on Sky One next year.

ShadowMaat
August 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hmmm. I'll be interested to see what they do with this one because I hated the book. Maybe it's a "need to try again" thing, but I was grateful it wasn't my first foray into Discworld or it might have been my last. ;)

Flyboy
August 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY David Jason!?

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm new to the Discworld. I finally started reading one after my brother recommended the series to me, so I've started on Gaurds! Gaurds! Which I'm half-way through. :cameron: It's awesome.

Flyboy
August 11th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Read Small Gods. It's a wonderful send up of Christianity.

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah my brother said yesterday that that one was set way before the others, and there's a street in the current one I'm reading called Small Gods Street. I was thinking of reading Night Watch after this one...my brother has them all. Either that or the Fifth Elephant...or maybe just read them in order.

Naonak
August 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
IMO it's a really bad plan to go from Guards! Guards! to Night Watch (or The Fifth Elephant).
Reading them all in order would be the best plan, to see how the recurring characters (Vimes, Rincewind etc.) develop. As well as the Disc itself.

Although, yeah, Small Gods does seem to be set in the past, so that shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, everybody (except for mapp, who has the previous 30 to get through :p), the 31st Discworld novel, Making Money, is out in hardback on September 24th. (according to Amazon)

Flyboy
August 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I only have 5 more discworld books to read before I can read Making Money.... wish me luck!

The 5 are...

A Hat Full of Sky
Monstrous Regiment (first one i read, now I need to re-read)
Going Postal
Thud
Darwin's Watch.

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 12th, 2007, 06:35 AM
aw :( I gots thirty. Ah well lol

Flyboy
August 15th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Time will fly. Believe me. And reading them in order is fantastic. Because characters appear in books that aren't their own. "The Truth" features Vimes. "Mort" features Rincewind, gods knows how many have Colon and Nobby in. It's great.

Just on the last chapter of The Wee Free Men. Now going to read Monstrous Regiment, as I said one that I've actually read before. And then I get to read Going Postal! :-D

*Note to self... buy "Where's My Cow?" before starting "Thud"

Naonak
August 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah, one of Nobby's best scenes is in Hogfather.

And Death is in all of them except for... uh, one of them, can't remember which... :o

Flyboy
August 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM
The Wee Free Men.

I was VERY annoyed about that.

Naonak
August 18th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Oh dear...

Equal Rites - I just got the name...

*head/desk*

ShadowMaat
August 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM
For those who like scents, the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/) has a section of Good Omens-inspired scents. Only a handful right now, but I hear there are more on the way. I got Aziraphale and Crowley (I prefer Crowley) but a morbid part of me is tempted to try Shadwell (described as Roll-ups, mildewed raincoat, sweet tea, and condensed milk. ).

There are some Gaiman-specific things, too. I'm hoping maybe there'll be some Pratchett-specific things some day. :)

A portion of the proceeds goes to the Comic Book Defense Fund and the Orangutan Foundation.

Naonak
September 29th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Squeeeeee!!!
Terry's doing a book signing in my local WHSmiths on October 8th!!! :D :D :D :D

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/beckett/beckett_newanime016.gif

ShadowMaat
September 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
*is jealous*

Hmph. :mckay:

's funny, I was just posting on the Moonlight thread and lamenting about the deplorable lack of werewolves in primetime. After reading Angua's various antics in the Watch, I really think a TV series about a werewolf PI could be interesting. Particularly if- much as happened in Ankh-Morpork- the criminal element figured out the trick of using scent bombs. :D

At least it'd be less clichéd than the whole broody vampire shtick.

Of course, Vimes has a vampire on the payroll now, too, but that's a different story. :P

BruTak
September 29th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Got my copy of "Making Money" last Saturday. Half price in Waterstones, and you get a set of reproduction Ankh-Morpork banknotes. :)

Naonak
September 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM
What's it like?

I haven't got it yet, as I normally get them in paperback, but I think I'll make an exception in this case... :D

's funny, I was just posting on the Moonlight thread and lamenting about the deplorable lack of werewolves in primetime. After reading Angua's various antics in the Watch, I really think a TV series about a werewolf PI could be interesting. Particularly if- much as happened in Ankh-Morpork- the criminal element figured out the trick of using scent bombs. :D

At least it'd be less clichéd than the whole broody vampire shtick.
:indeed:
I think the main reason is that it's gotta be pretty expensive to do just one transformation, let alone one in nearly every episode.

BruTak
September 29th, 2007, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=Naonak;7159252]What's it like?

I haven't got it yet, as I normally get them in paperback, but I think I'll make an exception in this case... :D[QUOTE]

Well, to be honest, there was a distinct lack of :lol: moments. But there still enough bits and pieces of business to keep you chuckling away to yourself.

If you are going to get the hardback, Waterstones is your best bet. Half price and with the set of four Ankh-Morkpork banknotes - $1, $5, $10, and $50.

Waterstones have done similar promotions with the publication of Going Postal (replica Ankh-Morpork stamps. A set of which is currently for sale on e-bay for £75.), and Thud! (a replica Ankh-Morpork City Watch warrant card.)

ShadowMaat
September 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Read the book, liked it, but got gypped on any bank notes. :( I don't live near a Waterstones, though. Or any other chains.

Yeade
October 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
My first time in this part of the forums and, yay, I'm so happy I found a thread in which I can talk Discworld! I've recently gotten on a Discworld kick of sorts and am re-re-re-reading a lot of the novels. As is my wont in such circumstances, I wrote a long and involved analysis of an aspect of the universe. You can read it on the LJ Discworld community: Gods and demons and anthropomorphic personifications! Oh, my! (http://community.livejournal.com/discworld/779089.html)

I'm still searching my way through the series for references to use in arguing (at all) the topic, having only typed up excerpts from The Color of Magic, so if anyone has recommendations along these lines, I'd be very grateful. Well, any comments would be welcome.

After I get through a few more books, I hope to write something about Rincewind, too. :)

Unfortunately, I'm second-to-last in a long line of holds on Making Money at my local library. Which means it may be another half-year before I can read Pterry's latest work. If only I had the time to sit in Borders or Barnes & Noble or wherever and browse a bit... Might as well wish for more money or less bills, I guess. <sigh>

ShadowMaat
December 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
For those who haven't heard the bad news, Pterry has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's. (http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html) :(

Gods, how horrible...

Flyboy
December 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM

BruTak
December 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Think positive thoughts for the maestro ladies n' germs. :)

RealmOfX
December 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Oh that is bad news, I'll definitely be sending good thoughts and prayers his way.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what books a newbie to the works of Pratchett should start with? I've had a couple of eye operations and can not read very well at the moment so I'm working my way through the local library's audio book collections and I was about to start in on Terry's works but there are an awful lot of them and I'm not sure which to start with or whether it matters to read certain books in sequence.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

BruTak
December 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what books a newbie to the works of Pratchett should start with? I've had a couple of eye operations and can not read very well at the moment so I'm working my way through the local library's audio book collections and I was about to start in on Terry's works but there are an awful lot of them and I'm not sure which to start with or whether it matters to read certain books in sequence.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

I'd go with either Mort, or Guards Guards. But that's just my opinion. :)

ShadowMaat
December 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Definitely skip the first two. They aren't essential to the series and you can always go back to them once you're firmly hooked. Although I'd still recommend skipping Colour of Magic. :P

RealmOfX
December 12th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I'd go with either Mort, or Guards Guards. But that's just my opinion. :)

Definitely skip the first two. They aren't essential to the series and you can always go back to them once you're firmly hooked. Although I'd still recommend skipping Colour of Magic. :P

Thanks!

Mousie
December 13th, 2007, 01:22 AM
If I remember correctly, when I started reading his stuff years ago I started with Witches Abroad (but there where only a few books out then) and didn't stop laughing.

I'd be hard pressed to decide whether I prefer the Death, witches or guards books.

Bagpuss
December 13th, 2007, 02:11 AM
For those who haven't heard the bad news, Pterry has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's. (http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html) :(

Gods, how horrible...
Agreed ,Shadow.:(
I read the news yesterday and felt terribly sad ,as one of my Sisters In Law is in the terminal stage of the disease.
Here's hoping Terry can keep a normal life for a long time to come ,and that a breakthrough comes in medical treatment soon enough to help him (and of course all the other sufferers).:)

Already on that ,Brutak .:)

*Goes off to reread Pterry's books for possibly the thousandth time *

Bagpuss
March 21st, 2008, 02:16 AM
Heads up ,Pratchett fans ! :cool:

The TV adaptation of "The Colour Of Magic" will premiere on Easter Sunday at 6pm -8 pm Sky One ( Part 1).
Part 2 on Easter Monday 6-8 pm ,same channel.( Also on Sky HD channel .)

Cast :
David Jason (Rincewind)
Twoflower (Sean Astin)
Cohen (David Bradley)
Trymon (Tim Curry)
Death (Christopher Lee)

I think the wonderful Pterry is doing a cameo too,like he did in Hogfather.

The tv version combines his books "The Light Fantastic" with "The Colour Of Magic" ,so it's going to be interesting to see how this turns out .:)

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 02:36 AM
If Sky are gonna make this an annual event, I'd like to see them tackle "Guards! Guards!" next.

Somehow, if we could get Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter movies) to grow by about a foot and bulk him up a bit, he'd be perfect to play Carrot. He's got just the right expression of gormlessness about him. :)

Bagpuss
March 21st, 2008, 02:47 AM
Great ideas ! :D
They could easily boost Rupert's height by using the same camera tricks that were used in LOTR .

I'd love to see Sam Vimes and the guys brought to the screen.

The Witches would be great too.

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 03:12 AM
My heart says Sean Bean to play Vimes, but my head says Sky could never afford him.

Bagpuss
March 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM
He'd be my first choice too..or maybe Ray Winstone ? :)

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 03:44 AM
He'd be my first choice too..or maybe Ray Winstone ? :)

Jason Statham perhaps?

Bagpuss
March 21st, 2008, 04:03 AM
He's a London-boy and could be gritty enough,but I've only seen him in Lock Stock and two smoking barrels .

Yeah ,why not ? He might be a bit cheaper to cast than Sean or Ray ? :D

What do you think of David Jason's prospects as Rincewind in COM ?

Given that Book-Rincewind flunked out of Unseen Uni as he couldn't get the giant spell out of his mind enough to study any more ,I've always thought he'd only be about 30 or so by the time of the books .

Plus I still have David J as Albert fresh in my mind from Hogfather.:S

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 04:24 AM
He's a London-boy and could be gritty enough,but I've only seen him in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

Ok, a couple of good Jason Statham movie I'd reccommend - on DVD "The Transporter" and "Transporter 2", and at the cinema at the moment "The Bank Job".

Bagpuss
March 21st, 2008, 04:33 AM
Cheers ! :D I'll see if I can rent the Transporter films.No idea when I'll get a chance to see the Bank Job film though.:(

gopher65
March 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM
Ah Terry Pratchett, my favourite author:).

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Ah Terry Pratchett, my favourite author:).

Mine too. :)

Infamously described by fellow writer Neil Gaiman as being equal parts "Literary humourist, bomb throwing anarchist, and giggling schoolboy prankster".

I may be paraphrasing, I don't recall the exact words...

ShadowMaat
March 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Ooo, Jason Statham would be awesome. :D Not quite how I pictured Vimes, but I think he could make the role work for him. Bean is too prettyboy. :P

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Ooo, Jason Statham would be awesome. :D Not quite how I pictured Vimes, but I think he could make the role work for him. Bean is too prettyboy. :P

Sean Bean? The man who played Richard Sharpe, "Prettyboy"? :confused:

Naonak
March 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm probably the only one, but if he wasn't American (and by now too old) I've always thought Richard Dean Anderson could be good as Vimes... :p :o

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm probably the only one, but if he wasn't American (and by now too old) I've always thought Richard Dean Anderson could be good as Vimes... :p :o

Hmmm... Yeah, I see what you're getting at. :)

RDA's got the world weary "Been there, done that" face.

ShadowMaat
March 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
Sean Bean? The man who played Richard Sharpe, "Prettyboy"? :confused:

He was in LOTR, too, wasn't he? Maybe he just cleans up well, then, but I'd be disinclined to give him my vote for Vimes. :P

EDIT: Hey, how about Cliff Simon? He could probably fudge the accent for it and he can definitely do intimidating. :D

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
He was in LOTR, too, wasn't he? Maybe he just cleans up well, then, but I'd be disinclined to give him my vote for Vimes. :P

EDIT: Hey, how about Cliff Simon? He could probably fudge the accent for it and he can definitely do intimidating. :D

Hmmm... Nah...

Now, Cliff Simon as the Patrician. That I could see.

gopher65
March 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
You know, now that I think about it, that is VERY much how I see the Patrician in my mind. Like a cooler-headed version of Simon's Ba'al.

Demonique
March 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM

Gods, how horrible...

He donated $1m to Alzeimher's research a few days ago. In the UK Alzeimher's gets just 3% of the funding that cancer gets despite nearly as many people suffering from Alzeimher's (and unlike Alzeimher's cancer can be successfully treated).

He said “I’D EAT THE ARSE OUT OF A DEAD MOLE IF IT OFFERED A FIGHTING CHANCE”

BruTak
March 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM
He donated $1m to Alzeimher's research a few days ago. In the UK Alzeimher's gets just 3% of the funding that cancer gets despite nearly as many people suffering from Alzeimher's (and unlike Alzeimher's cancer can be successfully treated).

He said “I’D EAT THE ARSE OUT OF A DEAD MOLE IF IT OFFERED A FIGHTING CHANCE”

Yup, that sounds like the guv'nor all right. :D

ShadowMaat
March 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM
OK, I could go for that, too. ;)

Bagpuss
March 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
I watched The Colour Of Magic Part 1 tonight ,and the actor who played the Patrician character had a similar look to Cliff as Ba'al !
( Hope somebody caught the credits as I forgot to tape the show.)

My review /mumbles :

Part 1 followed the books pretty well, imo ,except that statements were made that Rincewind had studied at Unseen Uni for "decades" and also it was stated for "forty years" .In the books ,Rincewind's age was never stated as far as I recall ,and to me ,those lines seemed popped in to sell David Jason as Rincewind.

He's doing fine though...as is Tim Curry as Trymon .Trymon is just as controlling a scumbag as I expected.Not sold on Twoflower yet ,but I'm probably being way too picky at this stage .Christopher Lee's "Death" is as fab as ever,and I liked the Astrozoologists .( Esp number 5...;) )

As Rincewind's age and Twoflower's look and accent are my only mumbles,so far I'd rate it 8.5/10 .

Overall,it's a lavish ,beautiful reconstruction ,and very enjoyable.

The sets are spot-on,the visual effects were fine,especially the dragons ,the talking magic sword and the Rim .Loved the space rocket.The costumes were as glorious as the books describe.

Special mention for Great A'Tuin and the Elephants .Discworld lives ! :D

Part 2 should be even better.Imo,anyway.

Madeleine
March 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I did stare at The Patrician for a while until I was sure it wasn't Cliff Simon :o

Twoflower is just right. Tymon is a part Tim Curry was made for. The look of the whole thing is excellent (Ankh Morpok could do with being grubbier and seedier, but that's a minor niggle) and it's lovely to see that Sky are taking this whole project seriously, given that original shows aren't traditionally their forte.

David Jason is a bit... meh. As an old man, Rincewind isn't nearly as pathetic as he should be; after all, the elderly aren't supposed to be protecting tourists from thugs, they're expected to seek the quiet safe life. A thirty-something Rincewind who should be in the prime of his life and who still runs away from everything, that'd be more of a character. Simon Pegg, Neil Morrissey, or that splendidly gormless elder son from My Family, all would have been my choices for Rincewind before DJ.

Bagpuss
March 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
They really could have done with a few shots of the river Ankh ,in all it's...ickiness ,eh ? :D

Simon Pegg might well have been a far better choice for Rincewind ,as he would (imo) have brought the touch of neurosis and survivalism the part requires ,but do you think maybe David J is a far bigger household name in the Uk ,so that influenced the producers ' decision to cast him as the hapless "Wizzard ?"

(Not bashing David.He's been a stalwart of British TV for decades and I love Jack Frost .I'm just nosy !)

Madeleine
March 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
You're probably right, it's the 'big name' factor. Pity the Arch-Chancellor wasn't a bigger part - DJ'd have been great in that role. (Not that the actor who did play the Arch-Chancellor was found wanting.)

Rincewind definitely neede more paranoia though. He was too resigned.

Bagpuss
March 23rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Maybe Rincewind'll spark up (and panic ) a bit more in Part 2 ? :)

I suppose I'm nitpicky about the characters ,as The Light Fantastic and Colour of Magic were the first TP books I read many years ago , and I tend to be a bit of a book purist ?

My teens loved it all,but they haven't really got as deeply into Pratchett-reading as I and Hubs did.

Here's hoping for high ratings though ,as I want to see more of Terry's books in live action form ,plus more Terry-cameos ! :cool:

ShadowMaat
March 26th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Liked Colour of Magic. Boy, the Vetinari/Baal similarity is a bit spooky. And Sean Astin was just adorkable. ;) Wasn't as keen on Rincewind, I don't think wossname really "got" the character, but it wasn't bad or anything, just not as good as I think it could have been. Cohen was fantastic and of course yay for Pterry's guest appearance. :)

Meanwhile, BBC Radio finished up its adaptation of Night Watch and I ran across this description of it on another site:
"My name is Sam Vimes. I had an accident, and I woke up in the Year of the Astounded Beetle. Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time? Whatever's happened, it's like I've landed on a different planet. Now maybe if I can work out the reason, I can get home."
LMAO! Of course, it's only funny if you know Life on Mars. Fortunately I do. :D

Bagpuss
March 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Liked Colour of Magic. Boy, the Vetinari/Baal similarity is a bit spooky. And Sean Astin was just adorkable. ;) Wasn't as keen on Rincewind, I don't think wossname really "got" the character, but it wasn't bad or anything, just not as good as I think it could have been. Cohen was fantastic and of course yay for Pterry's guest appearance. :)
Glad you enjoyed it .:D I think a line or two fell short,but the book canon was pretty well followed.
Much as I loved David Jason in several other series he's done ,he does tend to stick to using the same tones and facial expressions in his comedy roles ,imo.
Rincewind's attempt to tell Cohen he was too old to marry Bethan would have been funnier ( to me ) if David Jason hadn't looked older than David Bradley, and is two tears senior in RL ,lol !

I loved most of COM though .Part two was as good as part 1 ,if not better.:cool:

Meanwhile, BBC Radio finished up its adaptation of Night Watch and I ran across this description of it on another site:
LMAO! Of course, it's only funny if you know Life on Mars. Fortunately I do. :D
I didn't know the Beeb were running Night Watch.Nor have I seen L.O.M.*Kicks self hard*:(

ShadowMaat
March 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Well, I loathed CoM as a book, but as a movie/miniseries (and combined with the also not-favorite Light Fantastic) it was almost bound to be an improvement. :)

Bagpuss
March 28th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Fair point ! :)

I read somewhere recently, that the next book up for tv adaptation is "Going Postal"...so hopefully , if that's confirmed, it may be a goodie.:cool:

gopher65
March 28th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Well, I liked it. I agree with many of the posts so far, especially about how Rincewind would have been better 40 or even 20 years younger. And really, how many people outside of the UK know who that actor is? I've never heard of him. There are probably a lot more Pratchett fans outside of the UK than inside. This makes as much sense as picking an actor for Stargate that is well known in Canada, but a complete unknown everywhere else. Would they ever do that? Nope. Sky should have cast the character properly, and "big names" (if you can call him that) be da**ed.

But other than that fairly minor quibble, my biggest nitpick is that they cut out my 2 very favourite scenes from the books:(:

1) Where Rincewind and Twoflower briefly end up in our universe,
2) The bit with "The Lady", which is very important in later books. This may have been a timer saver in this miniseries, but it will make things more difficult when they get up to Interesting Times and The Lost Continent.

(I'd also like to note that Hogfather only just got released in region 1! What in the world is so hard about nearly simultaneous worldwide releases? There is no need for these disparate releases, in either direction. This always annoys me.)

http://www.amazon.ca/Hogfather-Vadim-Jean/dp/B0010X741Y
http://www.amazon.com/Hogfather-Joss-Ackland/dp/B0010X741Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1206717245&sr=8-1

ShadowMaat
March 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I read somewhere recently, that the next book up for tv adaptation is "Going Postal"...so hopefully , if that's confirmed, it may be a goodie.:cool:

Hmm... That could be interesting. I'd love to see the gold suit- particularly the wings on an unlikely part of the anatomy. :D

BruTak
March 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hmmm...

Who would play Groat though?

ShadowMaat
March 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hmmm...

Who would play Groat though?

At this rate, probably David Jason. ;)

BruTak
March 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Why indeed not?

It could be a tradition. DJ plays a different character in every Discworld adaptation Sky make. :)

Bagpuss
March 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
*Nods in agreement to a lot of Gopher's post*
I think Sky forget that actors like DJ aren't huge "names" globally,and the dvds would benefit from universal distribution .
With you about the "Lady".She was a key figure in the first books and recurs in the books you mentioned. Pity she and the other scene were not included.
Maybe if the ending hadn't been dragged out for sentiment ,the producers could have kept it all ?

Hmm... That could be interesting. I'd love to see the gold suit- particularly the wings on an unlikely part of the anatomy. :D
LOL ! I bet they'll put the wings somewhere that won't offend the more easily offended section of the audience.:D

I wonder who they'll pick for Moist van Lipwick ?

Bummer ! Beaten to it ! :D

Why indeed not?

It could be a tradition. DJ plays a different character in every Discworld adaptation Sky make. :)
Do.Not.Want ! :P
( Sorry..was visiting the CIHC site a little while ago....lolcat talk will now cease .;))

ShadowMaat
March 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM
*Nods in agreement to a lot of Gopher's post*
I think Sky forget that actors like DJ aren't huge "names" globally,and the dvds would benefit from universal distribution.
Oh, I dunno. I don't think global celebrities are necessary, but I also don't think that actors should be recycled into different roles every time. Retire DJ and let someone else have a shot at a role. ;)

Bagpuss
March 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
All I meant by the snippet you quoted there, is that outside of the UK,David Jason isn't seen as a big draw in the way he is here .In the UK, David has decades of successful shows and tons of fans who tune in to see him ,and I think Sky tv played to that loyal audience for ratings .

eg : My sister and auntie watched COM for him ,not the story ,as they've followed DJ's career since "Open All Hours".Most of the adaptatation went over their heads ,as they've read absolutely none of Terry's books ,but at least they stuck with it .

(I agree with you anyway .I just said it in lolcat in my earlier post ,lol ! :D )

David J's done Albert in Hogfather and now Rincewind . I hope someone else gets the part of Groat .:)

ShadowMaat
March 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Then in that case, just because he's a bit of local awesomeness doesn't mean he HAS to be in a production. :P

Bagpuss
March 28th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Local awesomeness ? He's more my Auntie's idea of hunky and awesome ,than mine .She had a thing for him for years ..but that's definitely TMI !:D

*ahem* ....
I'm going to have to dig out "Going Postal" and see if I can think who'd be good casting as Moist Van Lipwick.

I'm still trying to think who'd play Groat ( in my feeble imaginary world where I'd get any say....)

How about Pete Postlethwaite ? Or would he be a bit dour ? :S

BruTak
March 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
How about Pete Postlethwaite ? Or would he be a bit dour ? :S
Well, if you've read the Discworld picture book "Where's My Cow?", then the illustrations of Vimes look a lot like Pete Postlethwaite.

Bagpuss
March 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I haven't read that book,but wow ! :cool:

*Scratches Pete P off list for Groat*

BruTak
March 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I haven't read that book,but wow ! :cool:

*Scratches Pete P off list for Groat*

"Where's My Cow?" is brilliant!

On the one hand it's the story that Vimes reads to young Sam every night in "Thud!", but on the other hand it's also the story of Vimes reading the story to young Sam. :)

Pitry
March 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Oooho. Liked the Colour of Magic/ the Light Fantastic thingie. Thought both Vetinari and Twoflower were just right - which is slightly entertaining cps the Patrician isn't exactly Vetinari in CoM, if I recall correctly :D
ALso, productino looked stunning - only a shame it was, well, CoM/LF. THey're far from being Pratchett's most brilliant books. I really hope they'l do Guards! Guards! next. With the levels of their adaptations, it'd be fantastic. Hell, they made me enjoy 3 of my least favourite Discworld books :D

Bagpuss
March 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
"Where's My Cow?" is brilliant!

On the one hand it's the story that Vimes reads to young Sam every night in "Thud!", but on the other hand it's also the story of Vimes reading the story to young Sam. :)
I loved "Thud"....but my teens stalked away from me in the bookshop a few months ago when I spotted "Where's my cow ?" ,and I forgot to buy it last month when I went to town for yet more HS stuff.

I might buy it as a present for my new nephew.I plan to babysit a lot ! :D

BruTak
October 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Is it just me, or is "Nation" a bit odd?

Madeleine
October 8th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm waiting for the paperback :o

BruTak
October 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I'm waiting for the paperback :o

Well, IIRC most shops are selling it for under £10 and your average paperback book costs £7 or £8 anyway - it's much of a muchness.

However, it's your money and your choice. :)

Madeleine
October 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Paperbacks fit in my handbag and take up less space on the shelves, and at one a week, £3 is a lot. (If you're a skinflint. I'm a skinflint :D)

But about the book: odd in a good way? Or a bad way? Or just a "don't expect the usual pratchetesque romp" way?

ShadowMaat
October 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I've been kinda meh about the book since I first heard about it. The plot doesn't sound like anything I'd read if it didn't have one of my favorite authors' names attached to it... and I'm not 100% convinced that his name is enough, although I'll probably read it eventually anyway. ;)

BruTak
October 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
From what I gather, the plot of Nation is something PTerry's had percolating away at the back of his mnd for some time.

Now just seemed like a good time to let it roam free, as it were.

pbellosom
October 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I enjoyed Nation but it did feel odd. Are there any plans to write more in it's Universe? It seems a bit odd to me, to build up this alternate history and then set it on an island that could well be in our world with very little difference.

Franklyn Blaze
October 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I've seen Pratchett books at the bookseller but it's always awful paperbacks where the type is so cheap it hurts my eyes. Can't stand cheap prints.

ShadowMaat
October 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Finished listening to Nation. If it hadn't been an audiobook and I hadn't been at work I'm not sure I'd have gotten through the whole thing. The religion thing was oppressive and overbearing and inescapable and I really didn't enjoy it very much.

It started off as a fun story (tragic and horrible circumstances aside) and I wish it could have been more about the two main characters and their misadventures than the whole coming to term with the existence (or non-existence) of the gods and the more people that showed up the more... diluted things seemed to become.

I think I'll stick with the Discworld books from now on. ;)

Galileo
August 30th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I absolutely love the Discworld series. I always come back to it when I need something light hearted and fun to read. It's usually what I go for if I need a pick up of some kind. Even though I might have already read the book before, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of doing so again.

As for characters, it's hard to say who would be my absolute favourite, but Vimes probably wins out over Rincewind and Death, but only after I read Snuff. I wish he would write another Rincewind novel.

I also love the various companions that come with discworld, science of discworld, folklore of discworld and the art projects etc.

I'm also a big fan of Terry's other works, Dodger and Nation were both great books.

I'm happy that the 3 movies made so far haven't been absolutely terrible. I was pleased that Terry had such a big input into them and thus they didn't end up like the last hitchhikers movie.

Galileo
November 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
has anyone read Raising Steam yet? it was amazing!

I was so happy to see Vimes and Moist in a book together.