This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ender's Game

Has anyone ever read Orson Scott Card's masterpiece Ender's Game? If not, you really should pick up a copy if you ever get a chance. It's become my favorite novel of all time, due to its gripping plot, its moral questions, and the overall message that even the noblest of souls can be used for the greatest evils.

It's the first in a series of equally amazing, books, too:

1. Ender's Game
    2. Ender's Shadow

(The story now branches into a present and future part)

3. Shadow of the Hegemon (Present)
    4. Shadow Puppets (Present)
    5. Shadow of the Giant (Present)
    6. Speaker for the Dead (Future)
    7. Xenocide (Future)
    8. Children of the Mind (Future)

Basically, the story is about Earth in the near future (about a century away). Humanity is reeling from two massive attacks from an alien race known only as the "Buggers", insectile creatures just as intelligent and cunning as we are.

In their first invasion, the Buggers soundly defeated humanity's fledgling space fleet, and razed much of Earth. Asia was burned to a crisp, and the Americas and Europe fared only slightly better. But they were finally driven off, only to return years later, this time with a much larger fleet. But this fleet was different; we were somehow able to defeat it, and we have lived in fear of a Third Invasion ever since.

Now, seventy years after the Second Invasion that humanity barely survived, the International Fleet (IF) is training child geniuses to lead its armies and fleets in the coming war when the Buggers come again. Among them is Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, who has the potential to be the best of them all... if he survives.

Feel free to discuss and share your views on the book and the series if you've read it, or anticipation if you haven't. It really is an extraordinary set, topping even classics such as Dune, in my opinion.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Yea I've read them, very good boks. But, they;re emant ot be read like this:

Ender's Game, then
    Speaker for the Dead (Future)
    Xenocide (Future)
    Children of the Mind
    and then the others.

Of a simialr tune is Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear which you should enjot. Its the 2nd of a series of 2, the first being Forge of God. You can read it stand alone and still get full appreciation of the story.
    sigpic

Comment

Ah yes my favorite book of all time. I saw OSC recently wrote a christmas story based in the Battle School. I absolutely loved the A.I. in the series, her name was Jane wasn't it?
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
        Ah yes my favorite book of all time. I saw OSC recently wrote a christmas story based in the Battle School. I absolutely loved the A.I. in the series, her name was Jane wasn't it?
        Yes, Jane. She really was an incredible plot device in the end. I mean, the classic story of something discovering it's so much more tweaked just a bit to add to an already amazing story... just pushed it into the "unbelievable" sector of storytelling.

And Zatarc, are they really? I followed it in the normal timeline (present - future) and it seemed to make much more sense than reading it the other way around. Why, is there some hint to reading it the other way?
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

They're meant to be read that way because the Ender books were written before the Bean books, and it gives you an uninterrupted narrative of Ender's life. Then you go into the parrallel story of Bean. It makes it so you're not changing main characters half way through.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Comment

I thought the ender books were great, Ender's Game is my fav though.

I kinda gave up on Bean, sad to say. I think though I only had one more of them to go. I just thought it was getting a bit blah at that point.

Ender's Game is phenomenal. Rumours of a movie were flying around a while back which would be incredible if they find a decent lead for Ender.

I definately agree it's a true sci-fi classic, I enjoyed it better than Dune, so I'd agree it's a better book.

Thanks for the reminder, I haven't read it for a few years
            I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Originally posted by cheese View Post
              I thought the ender books were great, Ender's Game is my fav though.

I kinda gave up on Bean, sad to say. I think though I only had one more of them to go. I just thought it was getting a bit blah at that point.

Ender's Game is phenomenal. Rumours of a movie were flying around a while back which would be incredible if they find a decent lead for Ender.

I definately agree it's a true sci-fi classic, I enjoyed it better than Dune, so I'd agree it's a better book.

Thanks for the reminder, I haven't read it for a few years
              I read it... probably once a year. I love the book just that much.

Comment

great book

i have the next 2 in the series. but haven't had any time to read.

Comment

Loved Ender's Game! Fantastic book. I really love that it was a mature, complex book, without feeling like you really had to think hard to follow it. Easy to read. Love! I have Speaker for the Dead, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.
                  "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                  My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Speaker for the Dead is possibly even better than Ender's Game, its more complex and well thought out. That being said Ender's Game is better to re-read because of the fun of the battles, and it seems to be easier to read, at least imo.

Comment

Speaker for the Dead is possibly even better than Ender's Game, its more complex and well thought out. That being said Ender's Game is better to re-read because of the fun of the battles, and it seems to be easier to read, at least imo.
                      Now see I tend to disagree there. Speaker for the Dead was certainly interesting, but I've always preferred the Shadow series to the Lusitania one. Must be my fanatical love of politics

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        Now see I tend to disagree there. Speaker for the Dead was certainly interesting, but I've always preferred the Shadow series to the Lusitania one. Must be my fanatical love of politics
                        How can you disagree with me saying that Speaker for the Dead is possibly better than Ender's Game by saying you enjoy the Shadow series books more? Ender's Game isn't part of the Shadow series. I'm confused.

Comment

How can you disagree with me saying that Speaker for the Dead is possibly better than Ender's Game by saying you enjoy the Shadow series books more? Ender's Game isn't part of the Shadow series. I'm confused.
                          Oh, I didn't phrase that well, did I...

I meant that I preferred the entire Shadow series over the Lusitania one, and I really preferred Shadow of the Hegemon over Speaker for the Dead. Not by much, mind you, but I did like it more.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            Oh, I didn't phrase that well, did I...

I meant that I preferred the entire Shadow series over the Lusitania one, and I really preferred Shadow of the Hegemon over Speaker for the Dead. Not by much, mind you, but I did like it more.
                            Ok gotcha.

Comment

Ooh, I love these books. Really, I only like Ender's Game and Shadow. I didn't like the sequels to either book. They just weren't the same... I read Ender's series, but I couldn't get through Bean's series. My friend only likes Bean, however, so she filled me in on what happened with him. But the first books are terrific...

Comment

Working...
                              X