This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming Wormhole Idea

I was reading this post, Technical question about the gate, and I remembered that there is no way to know where an incoming wormhole has been dialed from. I figured that why doesn't the SGC or Atlantis radio tag planets. So that if and when an enemy dials the gate to block an escape, there would be a radio frequency broadcasting the planets gate address. This way they could send a ship to blow up or neutralize the incoming wormhole. Just an idea.

: Green is Good.
    sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Would'nt they be able to locate the radio tag? And then neutrlize it.

Comment

The time that it would take to go to every world through a gate would be a huge deterrant. They haven't even been to each planet with a stargate in the Milky Way.
      sigpic

Comment

It seems easier to just find a way to get the gate to dial faster when the 38 minutes run out. If someone has a power source to keep it active for longer chances are it will be to dangerous to send a SG team to that world, it will be somewhere that they have yet to discover, or the gate would have been moved and the radio would be left behind (you can't attach it to the gate without someone noticing). On the off chance that none of those apply, there's a high chance that they are powerful enough to where you don't want to tango with any possible ships/defenses. And in the end how often does this happen that it's worth wasting so many resources on?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
          Would'nt they be able to locate the radio tag? And then neutrlize it.
          first off, the people at the other end would have to look for the radio signature which could be VERY weak as it doesnt have to go very far.

second, they could make some very very tiny braodcaster small enough to fit like 8-10 on the avg persons palm that would draw power from the gate itself.

it has been said numerous times that the material the gate is made out of acts like a capacitor.

Comment

There was an episode (forgot which, sorry) was there not where sg1 or someone came up with a virus that affected all gates, but Baal or some Goa'uld altered it. The point is simply that for it to affect all gates (at least in the milkyway it seemed) they would have to be connected to each other so the virus could get about. Shouldn't it be possible to find a gates address simply by using a modified version of the virus?

Comment

Originally posted by FlightPod View Post
              There was an episode (forgot which, sorry) was there not where sg1 or someone came up with a virus that affected all gates, but Baal or some Goa'uld altered it. The point is simply that for it to affect all gates (at least in the milkyway it seemed) they would have to be connected to each other so the virus could get about. Shouldn't it be possible to find a gates address simply by using a modified version of the virus?
              In this episode, Ba'al modified the Avenger virus to trigger a correlative update, something the gate system normally only does every few thousand years.
              Each gate dialed a number of gates nearby, passed on the new dialling program (the virus), then installed the new dialling program, rendering itself useless. Each gate it dialled then dialed a couple more, etc, etc. Hence how the virus managed to spread so fast.

I fail to see how you could use a similar virus to determine the address of a particular Stargate. How would you know when you've found the one you want?
              If all you're looking for is a gate that can't be connected to, you`ll have alot of gates to choose from. There are dozens if not hundreds of gates which have been buried/moved/destroyed over the centuries. That doesn't include any that could be active but completely unrelated to whatever reason you may have to be looking for an active gate in the first place.

We know that Atlantis can determine the address of an incoming wormhole. Imho our best chance is to figure out how it does it and see if it is possible to apply the same method in the MW. It night not be with the MW network, in which case I don't think there is really any reliable way of determing the origin of an incoming wormhole.

Comment

No the gate doesn't register an incoming wormhole point of origin.

I say this because if it were true they would have known where Sheppard and Kolya were in Common Ground.
                sigpic
                i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

When I thought of it, I forgot about enemies detecting the signal. But if the signal was weak enough, I would imagine that it would be worth finding. I figured they could just tag planets they have been too. Make it easier to know who is coming in, or at least where it is coming from. They have enough forms of tech I am sure they can find a power source that would last I long time.

: Green is Good.
                  sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Athosian Death facilitator View Post

I say this because if it were true they would have known where Sheppard and Kolya were in Common Ground.
                    That leaves us with two options:

1. The whole thing in 'Before I Sleep' about Atlantis only receiving wormholes from Earth is just one of those things we should conveniently forget, like Zats disintegrating people.

or

2. We haven't figured out how to access that specific feature yet so Atlantis can detect Point of Origin, but we don't know how to turn it on.

Comment

That's a very good point... dang wished I thought of that earlier.

Ace
                      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Another thing to rember, the gate may display the incomeing point of origin but there are only 36 symbols on the gate

Comment

Well, since the point of origin is unique to each gate, how is any gate supposed to show the PoO with a unique symbol ?

Comment

Not really, it just means they don't know how to use the Atlantis systems properly! Aftyer that in 'The Return', the console thing popped up in the middle of the control room & none of them knew about it.

Atlantis can distinguish where an incoming wormhole is coming from. In 'Before I Sleep', Janis/Janus specifically states:

JANIS: I've blocked all addresses to the Gate except Earth. You will be safe.

So the city obviously has ways to distinguish who's dialing. It would make valuable sense, what happens the gate dials. Atlantis lowers the shield, then the Wraith come storming through, or send through a biological weapon etc. It's most likely a plot hole that they choose to ignore to make their story writing that much easier.

If they could do it, 'The Storm', 'Common Ground', 'Coup D'Etat' etc would never have happened! So it's easier to leave it out altogether!

Comment

Just throwing out a idea here, but leading back to the radio tag; you'd need to be looking for signal let alone a weak one right?
                              But think... The Iris in the SGC is placed less than 3 micro meters from the Gates event horizon, and look at the fact the the Iris retracts somewere from inside the Gates structer (between the inner outer rings?). So theoreticly shouldnt they be able to plant a transmitor inside the Gates structer relativly as thin as the iris (Now i defenetly know we have transmitors smaller than that).
                              The outcome from for my theory would be it would be slightly behind the event horizon making it almost imposable to remove with out shutting down the gate, and even when turned off pin-pointing the location of the transmitor and then removing would take atleast a hour.

It was 14 year olds guess, so please correct anything i've got wrong so i can learn from my mistakes
                              Pure.

Comment

Working...
                              X