This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical question about the 'gate

Is it possible to determine the origin of an incoming wormhole? I seem to recall evidence against this possibility in SG-1 but I also remember that in Before I Sleep the Atlantis gate would only accept incoming wormholes from Earth.

So is it only Atlantis that can determine the planet that has dialed the Atlantis stargate? Thanks for any info you can provide

Ace
    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

There's nothing in the actual physics of it which says it isn't possible, I just don't think it's a standard feature of the DHDs. It may be possible for someone to interface a device with the DHD or the Stargate itself to determine the source of an incoming wormhole.

Comment

you'd've thought that somewhere like Atlantis would have that feature as standard if possible though surely. I mean wasn't Atlantis supposed to be their central base of operations in Pegasus, I know they had other city ships but I'd've thought Atlantis would have had a system if it were possible.
      sigpic
      If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
      I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
        There's nothing in the actual physics of it which says it isn't possible, I just don't think it's a standard feature of the DHDs. It may be possible for someone to interface a device with the DHD or the Stargate itself to determine the source of an incoming wormhole.
        Originally posted by ashman2 View Post
        you'd've thought that somewhere like Atlantis would have that feature as standard if possible though surely. I mean wasn't Atlantis supposed to be their central base of operations in Pegasus, I know they had other city ships but I'd've thought Atlantis would have had a system if it were possible.
        Thank you both...

Ace
        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

It is possible.

Episode: Before I Sleep

Ancients locked out all but Earth address, therefore, they had to be able to determine who's calling.

Comment

it's possible, but as far as I know, only the Atlantis gate has this feature. On the same token, not all DHDs are created equal, as the Earth dialing computer is the only one I know of that can measure how long it takes for an object to traverse the wormhole.
            Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
            Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
              It is possible.

Episode: Before I Sleep

Ancients locked out all but Earth address, therefore, they had to be able to determine who's calling.
              And yet in Common Ground they couldn't figure out where Koyla was dialing from so they had to waste time trying to figure out which Genii base he was using by trial and error. So, it's odd that such a feature would exist and the expedition has not discovered how to use it. Anyway, I'm not saying its impossible, just pointing out a contradiction. I have no real opinion on it one way or another.

Comment

The Atlantis gate probably had that feature as an ancient gate technition who knows everything about how the gate works installed it. It is probably still there but like most of the city the Atlantis expedition probably haven't found it yet

Comment

hey im new, etc etc etc...

to answer the original question, i dont think it has been mentioned that there is some sort of caller ID in the stargate network, although in before i sleep, some modifications could have been made for the gate to only allow 8 chevron connections. therefore no-one in the pegasus galaxy could have reached atlantis, but anyone from another galaxy could. As evidence suggested, that would be earth in 10000 years time, so its a caller ID by default in that case

Comment

Working...
                  X