This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?

Why is it that when a smart smart in depth TV show (like Firefly) Gets on the air it Gets Canceled almost right away before they get a chance to develop any long lasting storyline. But when an unintelligent lame and unoriginal show Goes on the air (Reality TV/ Most sitcoms/ Teen Dramas) They Seem to Stay for at least 2 seasons.
    sigpic

Because sci fi is generally more expensive to produce than other genres, and it has a smaller fanbase, whereas those other genres you mentioned have wide appeal. Just because you think it's crap, doesn't mean that other people do. This last point also explains the perplexing popularity of boy bands, and bubblegum pop.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

keep in mind that reality tv and that sort of thing are much cheaper to produce than a sci-fi show. (no/few special effects for starters) and also in reality tv like big brother they don't even have to pay the 'cast' a salary. Basically it's all about money. People watch crappy reality tv for whatever reason and they earn more money than if the same number of people watched a program like firefly. In the end it's not about people it's about money.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Rail'k View Post
        Why is it that when a smart smart in depth TV show (like Firefly) Gets on the air it Gets Canceled almost right away before they get a chance to develop any long lasting storyline. But when an unintelligent lame and unoriginal show Goes on the air (Reality TV/ Most sitcoms/ Teen Dramas) They Seem to Stay for at least 2 seasons.
        Because most smart, intelligent people don't watch TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
          I agree with what most people said, but ^^ this has to be it. Nail on the head
          sigpic

Comment

I agree with tone of this thread in general, but I do think that some intelligent people watch a limited amount of television per week, but not enough to appeal to a tv network to change the wave of what's already popular out there.

I still watch the news to figure out what's going on out there, but as for the entertainment prime time side, I get very bored and usually end up turning it off then.
            StarshineRoxie
            A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, a lot of the time most stuff on TV is utter drivel. Rather spend my time reading a book or watching my own specifically choosen DVDs lol (trying to watch as much as I can now while we're on summer break for uni )
              Last edited by Zatarc; 15 November 2007, 01:13 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I would have to agree with the general tone of the thread. While it's dissapointing that any show which requires a thread of intelligence or thought is cancelled I believe there are two main reasons. The primary one being the sort of people who would watch a show which requires intelect are usually smart enough not to spend hours upon hours in front of the television to hear about the show in the first place let alone sit around reading general show summaries to determine if there is anything interesting to watch in the first place.

The other is of course that these shows do (as already stated) cost more to produce and therefore the networks aren't interested in them. They would rather make a quick buck from some reality tv dribble which the teenage masses (and unfortunately a lot of older viewers) will watch and in some cases spend a lot of money sending SMS's to vote for this supposed wanna be celebrity or another.

If the tv stations can't make money off it they're not interested and the smart ones know better than to be interested in the dribble in the first place.
                "But I want to do community service, I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel"

Comment

TV is a cultural wasteland filled with inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life.
                  Watch it on your own risk.
                  We are born capable of greatness... If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Comment

i know exacly what u mean firefly was such an ace story, well written, well produced, well directed.

I thought it would of been the new big thing, i'm so glad that they made serenity which is my no.1 best film cant wait till stargate:continuum comes out and Ark of truth.

sigpic
                    Class of 2004-2009!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rail'k View Post
                      Okay, I'll be the rebel... I hated Firely. To me, the idea of a Western Sci-Fi show was just dumb, and I never got into it.

That said, I see what you mean and where you're coming from; most TV only survives if it's simple and contrived :/
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        Okay, I'll be the rebel... I hated Firely. To me, the idea of a Western Sci-Fi show was just dumb, and I never got into it.

That said, I see what you mean and where you're coming from; most TV only survives if it's simple and contrived :/
                        sry you didn't like Firefly, I thought it was brilliant. it's funny though, I told some people about the show and they really liked the idea and started watching. in the end they loved it. and I'm talking about guys who hate ST, SG, BSG etc. strange...

as for the rest I'll have to agree with Willow'sCat:

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                        well said
                        Last edited by Jumper_One; 06 December 2007, 02:01 PM.
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by starshineRoxie View Post
                          I agree with tone of this thread in general, but I do think that some intelligent people watch a limited amount of television per week, but not enough to appeal to a tv network to change the wave of what's already popular out there.

I still watch the news to figure out what's going on out there, but as for the entertainment prime time side, I get very bored and usually end up turning it off then.
                          Mmm, the only shows I currently watch on TV at all are Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures (all airing at different points throughout the year, Heroes and Atlantis. Basically, I watch three new TV shows a week.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of DVDs (X-Files, Buffy, Classic Who etc), but the point is, out of all of the hundreds of programs on TV a week, I watch three. The rest of my time is spent training, studying, or reading. Incidentally, try Micheal Chrichton as an author. He's a LEGEND.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X