PDA

View Full Version : Myst: Revelation (& Myst Series) Thread

David
October 6th, 2004, 07:42 PM
I just got my copy of Myst: Revelation today and was wondering if anyone else has the game. I'd love to discuss it with other Myst gurus.

greytop
October 6th, 2004, 08:34 PM
I haven't got Relevation, yet. Maybe I'll put it on my Xmas List. Have some other things to buy first, like S7 DVD. I have played the other Myst games but not for a long time, even Uru. I like it better when it was online, Uru that is.

David
October 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Thank God, greytop. Someone else actually plays these games.

Please let me know when you play Revelation. For once I'd like a buddy to yap with about these compelling games.

greytop
October 6th, 2004, 08:38 PM
This is the type of games I like to play. And I sure will let you know when I play it. :)

ShadowMaat
October 6th, 2004, 08:40 PM
I have to get through the first three games first. :P

Daniel Jackson
October 6th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I just got my copy of Myst: Revelation today and was wondering if anyone else has the game. I'd love to discuss it with other Myst gurus.
I plan to get it eventually. Is it the 4th or 5th game? :S

David
October 6th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Technically? Number 4 in the series. Actually the box says Myst IV: Revelation, but there was apparently a tangent series called Uru for a while that was on-line based and got closed for some reason, may have been unpopular, as the majority of myst loyalists thought the new design stole a large chunk of what made Myst... Myst. I played "Exile" (#3) and then fell out of the loop until two months ago when I decided to search for intel on the fourth chapter, and was DELIGHTED to learn it was months away from completion. Now, here I am. The clarity of the 3d space is breathtaking, and Yeesha is just as great as Atrus, Catherine, Sirrus and Achenar.

I have to get through the first three games first.
:D Have you received the package yet?

ShadowMaat
October 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM
:D Have you received the package yet?
No, and that grin worries me a bit. ;) Believe me, David, when I get your package you'll be the first to hear about it. :P

greytop
October 6th, 2004, 08:52 PM
There is a Myst: Revelation Demo you can download from the Mystworld site.

http://www.mystworlds.com/us/

David
October 6th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Yes, it's especially good for demoing the game against the compatibilities of your machine. My graphics card is outdated but I'm still able to play while my computer "limps" with some of the graphics. Sirrus' prison world is very unusual. It's a great rock finger out of fog, and the fog is beautiful, but it's taken "square chunks" out of the rock in a lot of places and replaced it with the fog because of the outdated card. A lot of the beautiful lights should have a circular sunbeam when you stare right into them, and many do, but others have, again, square blocks.

greytop
October 6th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Just downloaded the demo and played with it for a few minute. That hand is a weird cursor. I would have to get use to that.

Lexx
October 7th, 2004, 04:27 PM
I can't believe I haven't heard anything about Myst IV being released. I love the Myst series a lot. I've played the first three and I've read the books of Atrus, Ti'ana, and D'ni. I never played Uru though. I liked the idea, but I just never got into it enough to buy the game. What's the basic premise of Revelation?

EDIT: You know you've got SG-1 on the brain when you automatically add an "s" without thinking to the end of Revelation.

David
October 7th, 2004, 05:37 PM
lol. Get it ASAP so we can discuss it! I'm already looking around the environments before I start doing things drastic, taking pictures and copius notes. Something big happened, it's now nightfall on Tomahna, and the game is shaping to be something really cool.

ShadowMaat
October 7th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I'm already looking around the environments before I start doing things drastic, taking pictures and copius notes.
Notes?? You have to take notes in this game?! And pictures?? Exactly what are you trying to get me into here, David?? From the sound of it, this isn't exactly going to help me get a life. :P Might distract me from Gateworld, though. Hmm... *eyes David suspiciously* :P

Nah. I've been meaning to check out Myst since it first came out. I just keep forgetting...

Markey2
October 8th, 2004, 06:53 AM
I am!!!!! I'm playing!!!!

I've done all the other mysts except Riven which bored me after a while, and I couldn't get back into it because of the lack of 360 vision I got used to after playing Exile for a while. I did like them though, Exile was amazing with the 360 view and level of interactivity. This game pushes it to the limits.

The graphics are seamless and the intertwining of live action and CG environments is absolutely incredible. I'm quite far in (I think!) now and am really loving it. There is loads of depth to the game its amazing. Yeesha is too cool oh and the photograph idea in the game is sooo useful, I take photos of loads of stuff now and some of the photos come in really handy.

The music is great, I want to go and play it again now! :D

DJFavorite
October 8th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I haven't picked it up yet. Funny, I hadn't thought of the games until just the other day when I realized I never finished URU. (see the computer died and I had to replace the harddrive. I hadn't backup the game and had to start all over. Did enjoy that thought and never got back to it.)

Anyway, I thought about it and got up on the web to see if there were any new games. Lo and behold, there is. I plan to get it soon. But then I'll get so involved in the game, I'll have three things to vie for my time....RL, GW and Myst. What's a gal to do. :eek:

David
October 8th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Markey, how far in are you? I'm on Spire and trying to solve Sirrus' elevator puzzle. Kinda hard because my video driver is out of date and the fog penetrates everything it shouldn't be because of it.

David
October 8th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Notes?? You have to take notes in this game?!

By golly do you, unless you have photographic memory. In Myst, the library contains most of the information you will need to get you to the different Ages, but since you can't take the books out of the library, you'd better have a notepad to jot down the clues you're given in Atrus' journals.

Markey2
October 8th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Well I've been to Spire and gotten right down to the bottom, I've managed to light up the panels with 4 lights and 7 lights on up the max. I can ride the elevator and have viewed basically everything, although havn't been to the very bottom floor of the elevator since activitating the control boxes with the full amount of lights. I'm now back in Tomahna and have been looking around, I quite right before I was about to enter the code into the spines of the bookcase . I've been to the other world as well but couldn't find anything to do anywhere to go apart from moving a stone on the floor. Where are you? (Try not to give a away too many spoilers thanks!)

I find the photographing option really useful for taking notes, although I have to say that I wish there was a print button because I had to print screen then paste into a photo program to print one program which was really inefficient.

ShadowMaat
October 8th, 2004, 09:24 AM
By golly do you, unless you have photographic memory. In Myst, the library contains most of the information you will need to get you to the different Ages, but since you can't take the books out of the library, you'd better have a notepad to jot down the clues you're given in Atrus' journals.
You're evil, David. Pure, unadulterated evil. :P

greytop
October 8th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Just got mine after work. I still have to download and begin playing. :)

David
October 8th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Where are you? (Try not to give a away too many spoilers thanks!)

SPOILERS up to Markey's position only.
I was so distraught at the beginning because I thought I made the mistake that destroyed the sound machines, sending Atrus away and starting this whole journey. Did you make the same mistake? Is it POSSIBLE to get the sounds correct for the second Age and have the machine work??

I hope you used the amulet when you arrived in Achenar's age, the one with the tilted boat. Because it reveals that it's the Age Yeesha escaped to. Frankly if I were Yeesha, being trapped in the fireplace and escaping to only one of those two ages, I probably would've decided the warm and dry one, too. I also think it's fascinating that the family set up cages so that they could visit the sons, complete with blaring horns to let S or A know that someone had just arrived. On Achenar's age, that one rock is the only one you can move, which leads me to believe the programmers are saying that we will be coming back to look for Yeesha later and that other Ages must have problems solved first. That rock barrier will probably be smashed later.

I haven't figured out the combination to the books in Yeesha's room, though I BET you it leads to the floor beneath her room, where when we return from our first Age out Achenar beams himself away and leaves the book there. We'll have to figure out the bookshelf combination to get downstairs and follow him. I imagine that's the Age of Serrenia.

Any clues on the bookshelf? There's some writing on the kitchen table outside the kitchen hut. I have a REAL problem with the D'ni language because the letters are too similar. I suspected the combination was the piece of paper next to the book, but since one of them is obstructed, I doubt it.

As far as Sirrus' age is concerned, those switches left and right generate a combination that powers a certain number of "units" every time. not all of them should be on for the ship to be in the right place to go accross to the other "island." When I got to the other side, I didn't find anything worthwhile. As far as the elevator goes, it seems that it only will go all the way down when things on the surface are exactly correct. Any thoughts?

David
October 8th, 2004, 03:46 PM
I don't like Sirrus' age in that the paths are not clear cut, and if you have an outdated graphics card, it makes it all the more difficult to play. I had the same problem with the "plant" Age from Myst III - felt bad that I had to look up answers because there was a secret tunnel I simply could not see on my monitor.

greytop
October 8th, 2004, 04:32 PM
SPOILERS up to Markey's position only.
I was so distraught at the beginning because I thought I made the mistake that destroyed the sound machines, sending Atrus away and starting this whole journey. Did you make the same mistake? Is it POSSIBLE to get the sounds correct for the second Age and have the machine work??

I made the same mistake. I don't think it is possible to get the sounds correct for the 2nd Ag, either. THis is where I have ended for now, until later. :cool:

DJFavorite
October 8th, 2004, 06:11 PM
It sounds like I may have to hijack the gatelet's computer to play. I have a 3yr old laptop and had a difficult time playing Myst III on. It's good to know now instead of getting frustrated at the game and not want to play it because I couldn't find my way around.

ShadowMaat
October 8th, 2004, 06:13 PM
If I run into any problems, I'll just pester David. :D And pester, and pester, and pester, and pester... :P

Markey2
October 9th, 2004, 09:27 AM
SPOILERS for up to where David and me seem to be:

David, just to say that last night I found a way to get to the Ship and around more of the island in Achenars age. I think the sound waves thing at the start always happens, I got the second one pretty much dead on and it still blew.

The book case thing, if you look around more on Tomahna you'll find significant clues on how to do it although I still don't know how to do it, the symbols are soo similiar for completely different letters.

BTW the writing on the table next to the code book is just "Yeesha" I think she was practising how to wright her name.

David
October 9th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Ok I'm heading back to Achenar's age tonight. I've had enough fun on Sirrus' age for the time being. The environment is starting to depress me. How's that for realism?

ShadowMaat
October 9th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Got Myst today, David. I want to apologize. You aren't pure, unadulterated evil, you're evil, incarnate! :P

I'll let you know when I've decided to speak to you again. Probably about the time I come groveling for clues...

DJFavorite
October 9th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Got Myst today, David. I want to apologize. You aren't pure, unadulterated evil, you're evil, incarnate! :P

I'll let you know when I've decided to speak to you again. Probably about the time I come groveling for clues...
Hey, If you still feel you need to be on a no-talking with David, I'd be happy to load the game and try to remember how to play (it's been almost 10 years since I last played it). It might take me a day or two, but I'd be happy to help.

David
October 9th, 2004, 07:57 PM

I don't get it - you like it so much that you'll be absorbed into it (explaining where you've been, perhaps?) Or really DON'T like it and I wasted everyone's time and mail?

ShadowMaat
October 9th, 2004, 08:23 PM
It means I get extremely frustrated by things I don't understand. Although I've just figured out the tower. I think. One less nail in your coffin. :)

Except it seems to make my computer cranky and the game has poofed twice so far. Once right before I was about to figure something out. *sigh*

This is months of torture. I WILL pay you back in March. :P

And thank you, since I neglected to say that before. Although I'm still not sure if I'm speaking to you. :P

David
October 9th, 2004, 09:01 PM
The tower is the key.. Literally... If you've seen the key, then you're in good shape. And no, it won't take months.

And save your game.

Markey2
October 10th, 2004, 04:49 AM
I got bit further on Sirrus' age but can't figure out how to get all the power working (i.e. the right panel on the circuit board) After a while I just was going round in circles on Acenars cage so that annoyed me.

David
October 10th, 2004, 05:01 AM
I was reduced to using the Help System in Sirrus' rock age, but even THAT is unreliable, becaues the entire thing is built on a crude, "old-fashioned" looking map. It spends so much time looking like a Myst product that it becomes inherently difficult to use. Not very helpful. And all of it's icons are labeled with vague drawings of their objects that forces you to take what some of these machines do "on faith," like a "musical intrument," etc.

greytop
October 10th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Right now I am stuck on getting the cystal viewer back online. I believe that I have the colors right, according to the Artus jounal but the shapes are wrong.

I had to download an updated driver to get parts of the game to show. When I did the game graphics were much better.

David
October 10th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Yeah the latest version of DirectX is required. It does help considerably. Not perfect, but improved :)

Markey2
October 10th, 2004, 07:22 AM
I don't want to use the help system but what kind of tips does it give you? I might have to look at it, I don't know.

David
October 10th, 2004, 08:56 AM
There are three levels. The first isn't really that helpful, it's extremely vague. The second level pops you with a warning that your game experience might be altered but it points you in the correct direction - if you can discern what it's saying - for the most part it just confused me more. The third level gives you step-by-step instructions. I've only glanced at it, though.

Markey2
October 11th, 2004, 07:16 AM
I got to Serrenia last night having solved the Bookcase thing, it took me ages though! Serrenias amazing and the plot thickens somewhat. I also got to the other "Spire" in Spire (using the ship) although it wasn't much help. I havn't been back to Achenar's age because it annoys me.

David
October 12th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Any -clue- as to where you obtained the right combination? Atrus and Catherine's bedroom? The Kitchen? Spire? Is it necessary to translate the D'ni text or can you get around that annoyance?

Is it necessary to complete Spire before you get the bookcase solved?

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Suffer suffer suffer suffer. Not that I'm vindictive or anything... ;) Eventually I'll be playing Revelation, too. *sigh* Then I bleed you dry for info. :P

greytop
October 12th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Suffer suffer suffer suffer. Not that I'm vindictive or anything... ;) Eventually I'll be playing Revelation, too. *sigh* Then I bleed you dry for info. :P
*whispers to Shadows* Eventually I cheated on the first three. I broke down and got the walkthrough.

*out loud*
I'm at the chair in Spire right now. Just got there and hadn't play it since though I plan to tonight.

David
October 12th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Well that's a good sign that you're enjoying the game!!

David
October 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM
I'm at the chair in Spire right now. Just got there and hadn't play it since though I plan to tonight.

What I'm beginning to not like about Revelation is what I also didn't care for with Riven. There really is no direction. Any one objective can come before the other. I prefer my gameplay to be linear. In III when you got inside the tower you were told what you were supposed to do, and in tern you visited the three ages and took care of business but, like Riven, Revelation sends you almost anywhere at any point in the game. It's very confusing because you can easily end up wandering.

Wandering is good from the exploring perspective, but me, I'm linear.

greytop
October 12th, 2004, 08:35 PM
What I'm beginning to not like about Revelation is what I also didn't care for with Riven. There really is no direction. Any one objective can come before the other. I prefer my gameplay to be linear. In III when you got inside the tower you were told what you were supposed to do, and in tern you visited the three ages and took care of business but, like Riven, Revelation sends you almost anywhere at any point in the game. It's very confusing because you can easily end up wandering.

Wandering is good from the exploring perspective, but me, I'm linear.
I agree with that, David. So I guess, I'm linear also.

Markey2
October 13th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Well the Family Tree is a good place to start for the names on the bookcase and the order is in Yeesha's diary. It's hard though because the names look really really similiar so I got it wrong loads.

David
October 13th, 2004, 05:14 PM
There's a family tree? Which building??

Markey2
October 14th, 2004, 08:26 AM
mwhahahahahahhahahahaha, mwhahahahahah ha. Ha. hahahaha. haha.

Well I could tell you, hmmmm, I dunno

SPOILERS FOR MYST
When you come from the observatory in the lift on the middle floor, the first building you come to has a down ladder, when you're down there you can turn on a light and move it to look at the family tree. Take a picture It'll come in useful.

David
October 16th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks! Going now!

Homework?? Bah!

Markey2
October 17th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Have you got to Serrenia yet? I have but havn't played since i got there because of some homework. The story goes weird at that point and I got kind of stuck anyway. I need to play again.

How far is everyone?

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Got through Myst. Will probably start on Riven this afternoon. I'll catch up with you guys eventually. ;)

greytop
October 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Have you got to Serrenia yet? I have but havn't played since i got there because of some homework. The story goes weird at that point and I got kind of stuck anyway. I need to play again.

How far is everyone?
I'm still in Spire. But I haven't played since last Thurs. because I was out of town.

David
October 18th, 2004, 11:59 AM
I'm really getting tired of trying to figure out spire. Has anyone figured out the music machine?

Markey2
October 19th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Music Machine what????!!!>??!?!???>?>!?

Where is THAT!!!

I gave up on Spire as well! I havn't played for ages!!!!

greytop
October 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM
I'm really getting tired of trying to figure out spire. Has anyone figured out the music machine?
You mean the one with chair? If it is, I'm working on that one.

David
January 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Howdy folks! I thought it was high time to revive this thread.

Is anyone still playing Myst Revelation? Any other myst games? I haven't played in about a month. I spent a lot of time in the Age with the boat and just basically looked around a lot of the Ages to get my bearings. The Help Map is really pathetic, me thinks.

Anyone beat the game?

I'll probably be jumping back into it soon. If only school wasn't starting back Tuesday!!

IMForeman
January 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Ok, this thread suprised me. I have started and followed many a Stargate thread on the Myst boards I frequent, but I never expected to see a Myst thread on a Stargate board. :D

I am a long-time follower of the Myst saga, and I was a tester on Uru from it's pre-alpha stages through to release, an experience I still hold dear. In fact, I got to show an early stage of Uru to a group of people at the Philadalphia Mysterium convention in 2002. I operated the interface while Rand Miller (one of the creators of Myst, and the man who reluctantly played Atrus in the series) and Richard Watson conducted a tour of the Bevin Neighborhood in D'ni, and the Age of Eder Kemo (then just called "The Garden."). My name is even in the credits-book for Uru. Page 7, line 2.

I haven't yet finished Myst 4: Revelation due to some happenings in real-life not giving me extensive amounts of time to devote to it. I hope to get back to it soon... or at least before Myst V: End of Ages (http://myst5.ubi.com/us/) comes out this Fall. :D

-IMF

Screenshot from Myst 5: here (http://www.mystobsession.com/?module=Gallery&galleryid=2&view=91)

IMForeman
January 15th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Oh, and for those who may have missed Uru Live, the Online version of Uru, or who got in and had it cruelly yanked from under you... there is Until Uru. (http://plasma.cyanworlds.com/) Until Uru is basically a fan-run version of Uru Live. Cyan still runs the authentication (you pay a one-time $5.95 fee to help them with their costs), and fans run the individual shard-servers. So, if you have a legal copy of Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, and would like to play it online with some other Myst fans, then this is just the ticket.

A couple of caveats though:

1.) Your copy of Uru must be a clean, unmodified copy, with a valid CD-Key.
2.) Until Uru does not function with the To D'ni or Path of the Shell Expansion Packs.
3.) There will sadly be no content updates or bug-fixes for this, as Cyan does not have the funding for it. This is just a fan-run effort of using Uru more along the lines of how it was meant to be.

-IMF

David
January 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Myst V? So Soon?????
:D

IMForeman
January 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Myst V? So Soon?????

Yep. Cyan is actually making this one, unlike 3 and 4. It's very likely following up on Uru's storyline, and it is realtime 3D, like Uru.

-IMF

David
January 15th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Will it be 3rd person? Cause a lot of people hated that - it sort of takes the romance out of what makes Myst Myst.

IMForeman
January 15th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Will it be 3rd person? Cause a lot of people hated that - it sort of takes the romance out of what makes Myst Myst.

Nope. First Person. No avatars.

-IMF

greytop
January 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Yep. Cyan is actually making this one, unlike 3 and 4. It's very likely following up on Uru's storyline, and it is realtime 3D, like Uru.

-IMF
I liked Uru so I be glad when this one is coming out.

IMF, did you get on line with Uru? I did.

IMForeman
January 16th, 2005, 09:53 AM
I liked Uru so I be glad when this one is coming out.

IMF, did you get on line with Uru? I did.

Yes, as I mentioned above, I was an online tester for Uru from March 2002 when Uru was in it's pre-alpha state (and not yet called Uru), through to it's launch. My name is in the credits book, and I gave an online demo in Philadelphia with Rand Miller and Richard Watson. So... yes, I did get online.

And you can get online again with the Until Uru link I left above.

-IMF

LouisaB
January 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I didn't realise a fourth game had come out at all.

I have the first three and got URU last year. Unfortunately my pc was not up to spec for URU so I had to upgrade. Which was a complete disaster and I ended up have the new graphics card it needed to run the game taking out. I only got to play that game for a couple of days so never completed the offline part, let alone the online registration. :(

Will have to check what sort of specs Revelations needs. I suspect more than this machine has but glad to hear the series is continuing.

VirtualCLD
February 21st, 2005, 05:46 PM
Well, I see the thread has died, sort of, but I felt like adding my two cents. I just installed the game, I got my pad of engineering note paper out, pencil, drafting eraser, steel ruler, and compass out. ;)

I liked the sinewave/audio puzzle, an FFT machine would have made that a lot easier.

ShadowMaat
February 21st, 2005, 06:10 PM
I haven't gotten around to installing Myst 2 on my laptop yet. It went funky the first time and I've been reluctant to try again...

David
February 24th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I liked the sinewave/audio puzzle, an FFT machine would have made that a lot easier.
I have to say I found that particular puzzle irritating. SINEWAVESince there's no way to win it, I couldn't help but find it baffling.

David
February 24th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Anyone beat the game yet? I got lost in trying to figure out the family tree puzzle. IMO the family tree image is so fuzzy that I cannot distinguish any of the names from the bookshelf in Yeesha's room.

VirtualCLD
February 24th, 2005, 01:16 PM
What do you mean there was no way to win it? Just follow Atrus' instructions. However, as an ECE, I don't think the puzzle was technically acurate, but hey, it's just a game.

I must admit, I found the bookshelf puzzle very difficult due to the lack of detail in the images. You can get a clear image of Yesha's, Atrus's, and Catherine's names without the family tree, if you know where to look. I tried looking at just the first and last letters/sounds but you have to be careful b/c there are a couple of names that are similar but incorrect. It took me forever to figure out which ones were wrong and which were right. I've gone through one prison again (Haven) and I'm now in Serenia. I get the feeling I went a little out of order, like I should have done Spire first, but I don't think it matters. The interesting thing is, you don't really get much out of Haven, just some information (and set a trigger in the games script). I remember Myst, Riven, and Exile having a clearer path/set of objectives.

David
July 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I felt it was high time to resurrect this thread, considering there are so few threads that I've actually l o v e d to read, and this was one of them (yes, I know, I'm a sap when it comes to Myst).

How many of you guys beat Revelation? I really got tied up in a lot of sections and, I guess, have largely given up for now since I'm almost totally submerged in large updates for the Stargate Omnipedia. I have difficulty with games where one ofjective, and then another and another, don't leap out at you. It doesn't matter which world you go to, but somehow the story is furthered. Hmph.

Shadow, have you caught up with us yet? Not a peep from you in the longest time about this.

Has anyone visited the Myst: End of Ages Web site (http://www.mystvgame.com/us/)? I don't think I care for animated people, and I'm seriously hoping that Atrus and his family are not digital.

Hyperspace
July 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM
^^^
Unfortunately I think the characters are all digital for Myst V. The Myst V demo will be out at the end of this month, according to:

www.mysterium.ch

I haven't played Myst IV, been waiting to get a DVD drive upgrade...but I'm looking forward to it. Seems like Myst was medium, Riven was HARD, Exile was medium, and Myst IV will be HARD all over again...

With Myst V I'm looking forward to revisiting the original Myst island, if that's possible...it shows up in the trailer.

And did anyone think 'Myst' when they saw that book in "Avalon, pt 2"? I thought--hey a Linking Book back to Earth!

David
July 24th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I must say I didn't think of any Myst references in Avalon, but that would've been funny if Daniel touched a hand to the book ... [ins. Myst WOOSH SFX].

Reportedly Myst V will be free-motion, not locked into positions. I saw the island in the trailer again, but I doubt you'll be able to do things like climb into the rocket and be whisked away, etc. When you think about it it is now a pretty simple map, so I imagine we'll be able to walk around on it and take a peak inside the library, which is good enough for me.

But the digital man just seemed phony to me. Nowhere near the quality of, say, the engines that governed Half-Life 2.

Myst IV has been the most graphically stunning in the entire series. I just hope giving a free range of movement doesn't rob the picture of the quality it has possessed.

warmbeachbrat
June 5th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I can see that everyone is far (FAR) beyond me. I bought Myst when it first came out and spent many happy hours (okay, days) wandering through that game. I finally had to set it aside, though. Anyway, my son-in-law gave me the Myst/Riven/Exile package and I've been dabbling in each one since I graduated last month.

My biggest problem right now--and I'm wondering if there is a way around it--is the spaceship. I absolutely cannot get the notes to line up. I'm terrible about hearing tones anyway and with the wind noise, I just can't get it. Is there a way around that particular puzzle?

Thanks for your help.:)

David
June 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Are you asking for the cheat, or do you mean a special trick? I can see how, if you're tone deaf, it would drive you crazy. My best suggestion is to get a little tape recorder and when the real note is given tape it. Then go to the rocket ship and play them back.

warmbeachbrat
June 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Are you asking for the cheat, or do you mean a special trick? I can see how, if you're tone deaf, it would drive you crazy. My best suggestion is to get a little tape recorder and when the real note is given tape it. Then go to the rocket ship and play them back.

You mean there is a cheat?! Um, maybe I'll try your other suggestion first--I'd like to *try* to get through it with as little help as possible.

I'm really enjoying Riven. I find I LOVE to wander around the islands a bit, poking around here and there before I actually try to solve anything. Exiles was a bit frustrating at first, but I found there are surprises around every corner, so I'm enjoying it a bit more.

Now, I have to buy Uru and Myst IV & V. *sigh* I will have absolutely NO life (right, like I have one now!).

David
June 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Riven is a wonderfully rich environment, don't get me wrong, but with accessing all the islands simultaneously you really can get lost in "eye candy" and lose your focus on the mission.

With Exile, you have the main island and 3 missions. When you complete an objective, you come back, and move on to the next one. With Riven, it's easy to wander aimlessly.

--But not an ugly place to be wandering aimlessly, either.

I could never finish Riven without cheating. The topographic map with the little marbles was always uber-confusing to me.

Anyone play/finish End of Ages?

warmbeachbrat
June 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'm really glad I got the three games at once. When I get frustrated with one game I can escape to the next. Right now, I find it's an all-consuming experience. I ponder the games at odd moments at work or in the car, and then play them when I get home. I'm trying to limit myself somewhat (those dishes aren't going to do themselves!), but the various worlds of Myst are quite soothing.

Oh! In Exiles, is there a way to access the books that are supposedly in our possession? I found that the only time I can read them is when I first get them--then I can't get at them to read them later. Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to restart the game everytime I need to read the book.

David
June 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Which books in our possession? It's been some time since I played this game.

If I recall correctly Atrus's journal was accessible at the bottom center of the screen.

warmbeachbrat
June 12th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Which books in our possession? It's been some time since I played this game.

If I recall correctly Atrus's journal was accessible at the bottom center of the screen.

Yes, Artrus's journal and the journal that was in the greenhouse (I think it's a greenhouse). I can see them at the bottom of the screen, but my cursor won't go down that far. It stops at the edge of the picture. I tried a couple of the F-keys, but so far I haven't found a way to skip to them.

David
June 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
There is a button you can push to break out of the letterbox. When you push it your mouse stops moving you around in the environment and you have access to the screen, including a special jewel later on. I'm sure the answer is in your instruction manual.

I stopped playing Revelation about 9 months ago. I bought End of Ages but am not going to play it until I get this game figured out, hopefully later this summer. Just not enough time, alas.

warmbeachbrat
June 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
There is a button you can push to break out of the letterbox. When you push it your mouse stops moving you around in the environment and you have access to the screen, including a special jewel later on. I'm sure the answer is in your instruction manual.

I stopped playing Revelation about 9 months ago. I bought End of Ages but am not going to play it until I get this game figured out, hopefully later this summer. Just not enough time, alas.

Thanks for the info.

And I feel your pain!

ETA: Oh! Which game so far have you liked the best? I don't think I'm far enough in to any of them yet to know which one I prefer.

David
June 19th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I enjoyed III for the puzzles, but I'm tied between Riven and IV for graphics. Atrus and Catherine's room at night, with the candles flickering, is hard to beat, but I really like the grassland looks of Riven. Granted, it's not 360 movement, but you can't beat that paintbrush.

You?

warmbeachbrat
June 19th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I haven't played any of the games anywhere near long enough for a definitive answer, but I think right now I'm leaning towards Riven. I'm hoping to get Myst IV, V and the complete Uru in the next few weeks.

I've finally made a little progress in Exiles, but I'm just not very far. I'm trying to figure out the viewers with the colored lights on top, but so far--nothing. In Riven, I've made it to all of the islands except Plateau and the Prison island. And in Myst, I'm still in the Channelwood Age. What can I say? I'm not a very good video game player. At least I'm enjoying myself!

David
June 20th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I must say that I hold the storyline of each game high enough in importance to the whole of the gameplay that I cannot proceed to a subsequent game without completing, in entirety, the one that came before. Granted, there are not enough nuances in the Myst story as a whole to justify waiting for the next chapter, but I feel that I, as a "friend" of Atrus, have an obligation to see how the story unfolds -- in sequence.

I own End of Ages. Have for months. But I won't even stick it in my PC until I've nailed Revelation.

warmbeachbrat
June 20th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I think if I waited until I completed each game, I'd never progress beyond the first one. I'm not a gamer and I don't have great logical or puzzle solving prowess, so it takes me a while (a LONG while). And I do NOT like looking up the answer--although, I will take a hint once in a while.

I think what I like best about these games, is the looseness. I mean, I love to just wander around the islands and familiarize myself with everything. And the look of them is just so nice. Of course, eventually I'll get bored and get on with the solving, but sometimes it seems secondary. I'm surprised at how many times I'm convinced that there is nothing left to do and I close the game in frustration and then the next time I open it, lo and behold, I find something more.

In Exiles, I just got into the Voltaic Age [edit: NOT the Voltaic Age--it's the Am...Am...well, you know--I forget how to spell it). Oh my! The visuals are incredible! I thought I needed to figure out the light pole viewer thingies before I could go to any of the Ages, but I guess not. I wonder what they're for (don't tell me!)?

It's nice that you don't have to worry about losing health or lives and having to restart the game. I like the open-ended quality of Myst very much.

warmbeachbrat
June 21st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Gak! I feel like such an idiot!

I accidentally hit something (some key or series of keys) on my laptop and now everything (font, icons, etc.) is much bigger. AND now it won't let me play Exiles--it says it won't work and I need to use software instead of whatever it is that the default postion is that I usually use. I don't know what I did or how to fix it. Can anyone help me?

warmbeachbrat
June 21st, 2006, 06:02 PM
:o Never mind--I figured it out. :o

David
June 25th, 2006, 10:06 AM
The light poles are key to allowing you to access only one particular age. (Not going to tell you how to use them, though). Each age has a puzzle in order to access it -- let alone the puzzles in the ages themselves. You have to play with plants to access the "Tree," age, etc.

I really want to get back to Revelation but, alas, GateWorld 2.0 is at the top of my summer priority list.

warmbeachbrat
June 25th, 2006, 02:07 PM
The light poles are key to allowing you to access only one particular age. (Not going to tell you how to use them, though). Each age has a puzzle in order to access it -- let alone the puzzles in the ages themselves. You have to play with plants to access the "Tree," age, etc.

I really want to get back to Revelation but, alas, GateWorld 2.0 is at the top of my summer priority list.

I was stuck for a while. I thought the marble thingie in the hole was the access point for all three tusks, but repeated lining up of the marbles was useless. I looked at one hint and realized I had two more puzzles to solve. I've got a couple of games going so I'm now in each one of the other worlds. What can I say? I have a short attention span. I suppose it goes along with reading more than one book at a time. Not to mention reading the end of the book first (if the end isn't any good, why read the book?).

A big problem I'm having (and I'm having it with Myst & Riven, also), is keeping the geography and various islands in mind while I'm exploring and trying to solve puzzles. It's so time-consuming and tedious to be at one spot and realize you have to go all the way around, or double back, or something irritating in order to get something done.

Am I the only one who HATES the Edanna (sp?) Age? There just isn't much to it and it's frustrating to try to figure out what's going on.

So sorry you're tied up with this most wonderful website! I hope you can get back to Myst soon.

David
June 25th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Can you describe "Edanna?"

warmbeachbrat
June 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Can you describe "Edanna?"

Did I get the name wrong? I'm notoriously unobservant (probably why it takes me so long with these games). It's the plant world...up a plant elevator, down a plant elevator--not much else going on. Well, except for the sunflower and the popping and puffing.

David
June 26th, 2006, 11:30 AM
The sunflower popping and puffing is key to energy transfer, which will open other doorways.

warmbeachbrat
June 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
The sunflower popping and puffing is key to energy transfer, which will open other doorways.

I gathered that. I found one underground place once, but I haven't been able to find my way back there. Probably because I can't keep a visual map in my head so I never know which stupid plant staircase I'm using.

David
June 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM
It's quite a big tree. But fortunately it's relatively straightforward in most sections of it. You shouldn't have much trouble once you completely get the lay of the land.

Tova
February 8th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Yay I found a Myst thread! :D

I've played all games exept Riven, but the only one I've finished is Uru! :P
I'd love to play Uru: Live, I hear it's going back online soon! :D:D:D

(and I just realized nobody has posted here in years. Uh, yeah... >_>' )

warmbeachbrat
February 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I have all five Myst games, but I haven't completed any of them. I'm trying to play them, but I misplaced one of the Riven discs and my grandson destroyed the one Exiles disc that I need to play the game. Grrr!

I don't have any of the Uru stuff, but it's on my list to buy....

Angela V
February 14th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I have all the Myst games too and also have not played them all! I got the last 2 dirt cheap at $5 each from a Zellers store that was closing so that's the only reason I got them and haven't played them yet because I'm not finished the others. I have to wait to move and unpack everything to find the games anyway. Have few games out for the kids to play with until we move.

My son will be 10 son. You guys think he might be able to get Myst? He loves solving puzzle games and sci-fi/fantasy stuff. I will probably have to help him though . I think I have the guides for the first 3 games.

Tova
February 15th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Hey, you guys :P

You can play Uru:Live now, at http://mystonline.com/en/ :D

Rickington
July 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
I have played all of them except IV: Revelation... I'm not too sure about Uru though. . . Though it would be awesome to explore the D'ni city :D... before it was gassed by Veovis :eek:

(I've read all three books of Myst: Atrus, Ti'ana, and D'ni).

Tova
July 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Not sure if you meant it that way, but in Uru you're in the city AFTER Veovis gasses it.

... but I do love Veovis :D He's like my favortie Myst-villain of all time!