This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient O'Neill

I always wondered if the device that Jack used in The Fifth Race was a ZPM. It took him to Ida Galaxy to see the Asgard. One of the uses of a ZPM is to travel between the galaxies. This has always bugged me and I was wondering what fellow fans think.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

A ZPM draws energy from subspace, but that device used liquid naqahdah and the base's energy (it was designed to draw a lot more power from the base than is normally possible). So no it isn't. It's similar to how Rodney was able to combine the energy of all their naqahdah generators to dial the Milky Way for 1.3 seconds, but more stable as it lasted just long enough to send a person through. ZPMs aren't the only power source capable of dialing between galaxies (thus the Asgard were able to send him back with their power source and Rodney realized he could use the planet's atmosphere from "Home" as an energy source that would allow them to dial Earth) it's just the only reliable ones Humans have the potential to get their hands on right now.

Comment

That males sense. I hope your prepared when I have my next question
      Jelgate is right

Comment

How many times has this been brought up lol

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
          I wouldn't know. I fairly new to the Gateworld fourm
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Search Button does wonders

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
              About as often as "We should be able to make ZPMs" and "Why don't we use Asgard Matter Converter to build entire 304s in the blink of an eye"

In other words, too bloody often!

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                About as often as "We should be able to make ZPMs" and "Why don't we use Asgard Matter Converter to build entire 304s in the blink of an eye"

If it was only that easy. I apoligize for making a common thread
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  I always wondered if the device that Jack used in The Fifth Race was a ZPM. It took him to Ida Galaxy to see the Asgard. One of the uses of a ZPM is to travel between the galaxies. This has always bugged me and I was wondering what fellow fans think.
                  From "Point of View" we know that it basically controlled an essentially overloaded liquid naquadah reaction, so quite different and since only allows for a single gate dialing it is not nearly as long-lasting or resilient. Plus I do not believe that o'niell's device in any way involves subspace-time which is what a zpm is stated to being.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    No it's not. They use the stargate to travel between galaxies. But a trip like that requires much more energy than a conventional gate-travel. The ZPM is nothing more than a very complicated and extremely powerful battery that allows them to pump some extra juice into the gate. When O'neill went ancient he knew that the energy requirement of such a journey is way more than what the base's powersource can put out, so he made a device that could generate some more power for a short period of time. That's all. You don't necesarrily need a ZPM to travel between galaxies, you need a good powersource. A ZPM is one possibility.

Comment

any power source can dial into a galaxy if they had enough power

you could get like billions of batteries and maybe that could dial a galaxy(probaly not)

a zpm has a stronger and more something i dont know that gives it its power
                      sigpic

Comment

As wise one said, any power source can dial another galaxy if there is enough power and that's what O'Neill's device allowed.

I think the device was nothing more than an advanced circuit breaker. The stargate wanted to draw 10 times more power than it normally uses, it couldnt do that because it's too much power and the base power supply can't handle it so the circuit breakers would have blown cutting off power.

So Jack did the next best thing, creates a device that would allow the stargate to draw all the power it needs from the base without actually overloading the power supply.

Even with Jack's knowledge, I can't see him being able to macgyver his way into building a ZPM, especially when it's limited to one use. The device did have it's own power source, but I seriously doubt it was a power source.

sigpic

Comment

it was probaly a boost of power

like nitrous in a car but for a ancient device that can transport matter from anywhere in the galaxy.

the base power helps maybe connect connect to the ida gate and the liq naq helps boost the power to get the whole 9 yards
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post

lol yah, why dont we use the asgard matter converter to make 304s O_o its a huge loop hole
                            Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                            Anime signature in spoiler tag
                            Spoiler:
                            Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Please people before talking complete nonsense about o'niell's device watch the episode "point of view". It explains what it is and how it works, and it is not a zpm or a "circuit breaker". And the person that said "The ZPM is nothing more than a very complicated and extremely powerful battery" I hope was only referring to how they power devices, not about how they produce power.

Comment

Working...
                              X