This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ori and Project Arcturus

Did the Ori manage to succeed in making the Project Arcturus technology work where the Ancients failed? Because the power core of Adria's ship certainly looked like a white version of Project Arcturus. I don't think we'll be told in the Ark of Truth, but it would be pretty cool if it was because it would show that in one area at least the Ori had advanced further than the Ancients.

Feel free to delete this thread if I'm raising something that's already got its own thread.

Project Arcturas never worked and if it was to be even somewhat successful, it would still lead to the destruction of our own universe. Arcturas was the product of over 50 million years of scienctific research and development so I don't believe it will ever work.

I do believe however that the Ancients just perfected power sources and this lead to the most effective and efficient power source. The Orii were all about ascended and taking their place as Gods while the Ancients were all about science. The Orii power core was probably the most advanced power source the Alterans had before the split up with the Orii. 45 or so million million years later, it had gotten to the point where 1 ZPM could match or even out do that big ass power core all thanks to science.

sigpic

Comment

Zelenka said that Arcturus was "potentially as powerfull as the scope of the universe," now if the Ori had a perfected version on their ships I don't think that those Asgard beams would have cut them to bits quite as easily as they did.
      sigpic

Comment

I believe that the Ori warship powersource is similar to the planet collapser shield in many ways.

1. It derives most of it's power from enemy fire
        2. It fluctuates, as mentioned in Beachhead and Unending

I believe that a zpm equivalent powersource powers the ship when no-one is firing on it, and when shields are stressed, the stressing energy is transfered to recharge the shield.

Comment

i think the ori powersource draws zero point energy from the ori plane, like a reverse sangraal
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
            i think the ori powersource draws zero point energy from the ori plane, like a reverse sangraal

making them less powerful
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              Project Arcturas never worked and if it was to be even somewhat successful, it would still lead to the destruction of our own universe. Arcturas was the product of over 50 million years of scienctific research and development so I don't believe it will ever work.

I do believe however that the Ancients just perfected power sources and this lead to the most effective and efficient power source. The Orii were all about ascended and taking their place as Gods while the Ancients were all about science. The Orii power core was probably the most advanced power source the Alterans had before the split up with the Orii. 45 or so million million years later, it had gotten to the point where 1 ZPM could match or even out do that big ass power core all thanks to science.
              Where'd you get 50 million years from? "Rising" said 7 million yeas ago the Ancients left (caption at the very beginning of the episode). So, it' be that the Ancients, since they came back 10,000 years before the present, were in Pegasus for 6,990,000 yrs.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel View Post
                Where'd you get 50 million years from? "Rising" said 7 million yeas ago the Ancients left (caption at the very beginning of the episode). So, it' be that the Ancients, since they came back 10,000 years before the present, were in Pegasus for 6,990,000 yrs.
                'Rising' actually only said several million years ago, the each number isn't know. I think the poster you were replying to meant acturus being the pinacle of the ancients technology, which was atleast 50 million years in the making.

Comment

'Rising' actually only said several million years ago, the each number isn't know. I think the poster you were replying to meant acturus being the pinacle of the ancients technology, which was atleast 50 million years in the making.
                  That is correct.

The Antarctic Stargate was estimated to be about 50 million years old. This means that the Ancients came here around 50 million years ago so they are much older race. Since the Ancients were interested in science, their technology would have just gotten more advanced over time.

While that's not certain, the Orii drive for scientific progress could have been hindered by their quest for Godhood and ascension so they themselves could have eventually been able to create a large power core that was able equal to the ZPM or the ZPM could have been far superior.

sigpic

Comment

That is correct.

The Antarctic Stargate was estimated to be about 50 million years old. This means that the Ancients came here around 50 million years ago so they are much older race. Since the Ancients were interested in science, their technology would have just gotten more advanced over time.

While that's not certain, the Orii drive for scientific progress could have been hindered by their quest for Godhood and ascension so they themselves could have eventually been able to create a large power core that was able equal to the ZPM or the ZPM could have been far superior.
                    This could be true but also take into consideration ancient technology took a very very long time to get to it's pinacle, some points seeming not to progress at all, plenty of time for the Ori to catch up even though they were religious progression is natural. Either that or they just used their ascended knowledge.
                    Last edited by kirmit; 07 November 2007, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                      The could be true but also take into consideration ancient technology took a very very long time to get to it's pinacle, some points seeming not to progress at all, plenty of time for the Ori to catch up. Either that or they just used their ascended knowledge.
                      And that's my point. It took the Ancients 50 million years to get to the point where they were and they were all for scientific exploration. The Orii on the other hand weren't but since we don't know when ascension first took place (as both knew about it 50 million years ago) it's possible that the Orii still made scientific progress (as they would have needed their own Dakara device) but they weren't as advanced as the Ancients because of their philosophical differences. The Orii could have eventually created a power core similar to the ZPM but they wouldn't have been as advanced because they'd be working evolution instead.

sigpic

Comment

And that's my point. It took the Ancients 50 million years to get to the point where they were and they were all for scientific exploration. The Orii on the other hand weren't but since we don't know when ascension first took place (as both knew about it 50 million years ago) it's possible that the Orii still made scientific progress (as they would have needed their own Dakara device) but they weren't as advanced as the Ancients because of their philosophical differences. The Orii could have eventually created a power core similar to the ZPM but they wouldn't have been as advanced because they'd be working evolution instead.
                        True but ZPM's were around as early as several million years ago, plenty of time for the Ori the catch up with a powersource just as powerful, I think they could've eventually been just as advanced considering how long ancient technology took to progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                          Zelenka said that Arcturus was "potentially as powerfull as the scope of the universe," now if the Ori had a perfected version on their ships I don't think that those Asgard beams would have cut them to bits quite as easily as they did.
                          But that doesn't mean that the ships don't use a power source equal to or greater than a ZPM. Because the shields couldn't handle the fire only implies that the shield designs were inadequate. Atlantis has by far the superior shields, which seem to draw energy straight from the ZPM rather than into a buffer at a controlled rate, the Odyssey is a perfect example, it had the ZPM powering its shields but its shield generators did not operate to draw from the ZPM, that would explain why the shields failed but there was still a lot of energy left in the ZPM at the end of the show.

I think we are going about this all wrong, just because the Ori stopped pursuing science 50 million doesn't mean that the power source on the ship is less powerful then a ZPM. With ascended knowledge they could have designed a new way of drawing power with a greater yield than a ZPM, or found a way to maximize the ZPM's efficiency but in a differently designed power plant. The fact that we have so little to go on should only have us conclude that the shields on the Ori mother ships do not draw directly from the power source because the "glowing ball of energy" was still on when the shields were depleted.
                          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Of course the Ancients were messing around with the Wraith, the plague etc. Their focus was not essentially on scientific discovery for a long time before they returned from Pegasus because they were either fighting or dying. In contrast there never seems to be any suggestion that the Ori were at war with anyone post the Alterans leaving. They had the disadvantage of being religious fanatics obsessed with their own godhood, but the advantage of being able to do pretty much what they wanted in peace and without protest from the population. Wouldn't 50 million years give them the time to perfect a technology (Project Arcturus) that the Ancients had made significant progress on in the middle of a war zone (evidenced by the destroyed fleet in orbit of the Arcturus planet)?

Comment

Just because the Ori are Religious doesn't mean they just stopped advancing their tech. I mean look at the Catholic Church, they started schools, funded scientists, and made education more accessible to the general public so why wouldn't the Ori do the same? Its kind of like the Pope he pays people for tech and then those people can go to heaven (I'm talking during the Renaissance not now)

So I'm always tired of people saying that the Ancinets are more technologically then the Ori because one group was Scientists and the other Religious. I mean we don't know how many Scientists stayed behind when the two groups split. I'm not saying that the Ancinets didn't have an advantage because most of the Scientists did go but come on lets give the Ori some credit
                              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                              A Face you Can Trust
                              sigpic
                              So whats the worst that could happen?
                              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Working...
                              X