This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zpm "huh"

Where did the Ancients get there ZPMs. In the beginning of the show you learned that sometime during the war the wraith took control of ALL the planets that the ancients once occupied. Therefore, the ancients would have been effectivly cut off from their main power source, so they must have had a ZPM builder or something in atlantis or at least instructions on how to build one.
    I mean, from what we know about atlantis it would have been a place where a great deal of kids, scientists, and researchers would have lived, so they should have a great amount of information there. WHERE IS IT????

Maybe the Ancients got the ZPMs shipped through the stargate from the MW, or maybe they hide the planet where they made the ZPMs from the wraith.
    Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

Originally posted by Academy3 View Post
      Where did the Ancients get there ZPMs. In the beginning of the show you learned that sometime during the war the wraith took control of ALL the planets that the ancients once occupied. Therefore, the ancients would have been effectivly cut off from their main power source, so they must have had a ZPM builder or something in atlantis or at least instructions on how to build one.
      I mean, from what we know about atlantis it would have been a place where a great deal of kids, scientists, and researchers would have lived, so they should have a great amount of information there. WHERE IS IT????
      Good question... I know that there is research information on Zero-point-modules in the Atlantis Database... maybe there's a lab on Atlantis that the Team don't know about for constucting ZPMs... OR the Ancients (not knowing what state Earth was in) took their ZPM maker with them hoping to rebuild their civilization...

Comment

They obviously made their own.

It stands to reason that Atlantis being one of their main cities & base of operation has the ability to make it's own. I mean it'd be pretty stupid to fly the city to a new galaxy, then run out of power along the way. The same with Drones.

However while the Wraith did take over the galaxy, then Lanteans still weren't cut off. They had the gate on Atlantis. Then invisible PJ's that the Wraith couldn't detect. So they could go anyhwere in the galaxy that had a Stargate. Do whatever they wanted in safety then get back to Atlantis. On a single PJ, they could probably bring back 100'd of ZPM's if they wanted to.

In 'Inferno' we saw an underground hangar bay. So it stands to reason that there are numerous other hidden facilities (underground, underwater, cloaked, shielded etc) that the Wraith never became aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
          They obviously made their own.

It stands to reason that Atlantis being one of their main cities & base of operation has the ability to make it's own. I mean it'd be pretty stupid to fly the city to a new galaxy, then run out of power along the way. The same with Drones.

However while the Wraith did take over the galaxy, then Lanteans still weren't cut off. They had the gate on Atlantis. Then invisible PJ's that the Wraith couldn't detect. So they could go anyhwere in the galaxy that had a Stargate. Do whatever they wanted in safety then get back to Atlantis. On a single PJ, they could probably bring back 100'd of ZPM's if they wanted to.

In 'Inferno' we saw an underground hangar bay. So it stands to reason that there are numerous other hidden facilities (underground, underwater, cloaked, shielded etc) that the Wraith never became aware of.

I agree... there could be a zpm maker out there in the pegasus to be found aswell as other Ancient tech...

Comment

Well logically, the Ancients built their own ZPM's when it was necessary, so that they would never be "cut off" from their power source.

Although, even if the Ancients knew how make ZPM's like we know how to make a bowl of cereal, they were "not very good at leaving behind instruction manuals" as was mentioned by a few characters on the show.

My guess is that what isn't written down explicitly by the Ancients, was assumed to be obvious knowledge.
            StarshineRoxie
            A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
            sigpic

Comment

maybe they used technology similar to the modified asgard beam,
              Spoiler:
              which can create any thing as shown in unending.

the ancients had a similar device in one of the episodes...hehe i forgot the specific episode title sorry...so potentially earth can use the asgard beam for unlimited zpm making or find a way to use the ancient device.
              Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
              Anime signature in spoiler tag
              Spoiler:
              Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Actually it's illogical for them to make ZPMs in a city that can hold such a large population. They are very fragile things and if something went wrong in constructing one out of a hundred of them their entire city would be destroyed. More likely they did indeed have an offworld building site for them (that way only a few die if something went wrong ). Personally, I think it (the offworld ZPM outpost) was destroyed by the Wraith (or the Ancients were cut off from it) and by the time the Wraith attacked the city, the Ancients were dependent on the three they had powering the city and any extras they had lying around in the city or that could still be accessed offworld. Eventually their supply ran thin, so they were forced to submerge the city in an attempt to prolong their survival despite them having run out of extras. They used the last three to power the city and decided that without being able to make more they couldn't stay there - Despite the Wraith not being able to continue their previous bombard while the city was submerged it would only be a matter of time before they ran out of power with such a large population running around, using the city's systems. So, they perhaps thought that the only way they could save the city and themselves is if they went somewhere safe and rebuilt their powerbase from there.

It's also possible that they left before they had just 3 left - The one Ra had could've been found on Earth and been left there after the Ancients took it back with them. It's also possible that the Ancient treasure that they have been looking for is a place where the Ancients put all their things that they brought with them from Atlantis (they locked it up before ascending/dying) and there are some there. In which case they thought leaving before getting down to their last 3 would be a good idea as they would run out eventually without being able to build more and they might need them to power Ancient tech that they expected to find.

Anyway, we don't know what happened, but your argument that they "must" be able to build ZPMs in Atlantis could also be used to show why they weren't able to. But it was never said that the Wraith took control of all Ancient planets. I'll have to rewatch that scene in the Seige where the Ancient planets turn red, but form memory I don't think that they all did and we know that up until the very last minute Ancients still in other parts of the galaxy were returning to Atlantis.

Comment

Just because a ZPM may be a fragile thing doesn't mean they'd not built them inside the city, In all, they seem to be incredibly stable. We've seen one of them run for over 3300 years powering Atlantis' shields when underwater. Another lasted 5000 years in a tomb with no power loss. Another was recovered in a volcanic planet and powered the shields for who knows how many thousands of years but still had power after several million years.

Even now humans built nuclear power plants and if one exploded, who knows how much devistation that would cause. Chernyobl has a 19 mile safely perimeter yet nuclear plants in the US can be anywhere from 2 miles to 40 miles away from cities. So if we can do stupid stuff with nuclear power plants, i'm sure the Ancients can do stupid with ZPM's they've been using for about 5 million years. The design never even changed so i've think they've pretty much perfected the technology.

So I do believe that Atlantis does have some sort of ZPM facility. It's possible that it was in one of the damaged areas and the ZPM's used by the replicators were actually built on site rather than brought with them (otherwise there should have been a 4th ZPM as they would have naturally brought three and Ancients already had one).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
                    maybe they used technology similar to the modified asgard beam,
                    Spoiler:
                    which can create any thing as shown in unending.

the ancients had a similar device in one of the episodes...hehe i forgot the specific episode title sorry...so potentially earth can use the asgard beam for unlimited zpm making or find a way to use the ancient device.
                    A part of me thinks that something along the lines of the device used by Daniel in the Quest might be able to build them.
                    sigpic
                    If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
                    I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Comment

The knowledge needed for building a ZPM is hidden in the Ancient database. And it's logical to assume that there is some ZPM-construction-lab somewhere in Atlantis. But one of the most sacred commandment for SGA's writers clearly states :
                      - the SGA team shalt never find the zpm construction lab
                      - the SGA team shalt never learn how to build zpm's by themselves
                      Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 07 November 2007, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
                        The knowledge needed for building a ZPM is hidden in the Ancient database. And it's logical to assume that there is some ZPM-construction-lab somewhere in Atlantis. But one of the most sacred commandment for SGA's writers clearly states :
                        - the SGA team shalt never find the zpm construction lab
                        - the SGA team shalt never learn how to build zpm's by themselves
                        You left out,

- the SGA team shall quickly lose any new ZPMs or or other peices of Lantean technology they acquire.
                        sigpic
                        I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ashman2 View Post
                          You left out,

- the SGA team shall quickly lose any new ZPMs or or other peices of Lantean technology they acquire.
                          Well, I haven't said that there is only one commandment... You are deffinitely right that those two principles are not the only ones. For instance, there is another commandment saying that "any Lantean/Wraith/whatever advanced ship will be sacrificed during the next cliffhanger episode" .

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
                            Well, I haven't said that there is only one commandment... You are deffinitely right that those two principles are not the only ones. For instance, there is another commandment saying that "any Lantean/Wraith/whatever advanced ship will be sacrificed during the next cliffhanger episode" .
                            So true, someone should create a tongue-in-cheek list of these kinds of rules.
                            sigpic

Comment

I dont think we should assume that the ancients needed a specialized lab or factory to manafacture zpms. Remember orlin making a stargate in a basement out of toasters? Id bet that they just brought the supplies which were common to all ancient technology, then made a zpm out of them when they needed one. I doubt there a zpm manafacturing room or plant anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X