This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True power of ZPMs

Why is it that a possibly limitless energysource keeps running out in stargate. The ZPMs that powered the cities shields for 10000 years and easily protected them against wraith bombardment somehow deplete incredibly quickly in the hands of the atlantis expidition.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
    Why is it that a possibly limitless energysource keeps running out in stargate. The ZPMs that powered the cities shields for 10000 years and easily protected them against wraith bombardment somehow deplete incredibly quickly in the hands of the atlantis expidition.
    The anciants had zpm's to spare just like the asurans.
    And during those 10000 years the 3 zpm's the city had where depleted powering the shield

Comment

Simple answer...For dramatic effect!

It makes the writers jobs easier to have them in jeopardy every season with enemies attacking & them not having enough power to deal with what's coming. If the ZPM would last for 1000's of years, then there really wouldn't be any threat or danger to Atlantis. So to make the stories simpler they have them screw up, drain the ZPM down. Bad guys come around & instant jeopardy!

Of course it gets old & tiresome, especially since they've done it a few times now & we know they'll deplete one, then quickly get another in to replace it. However I doubt they'll change it after all this time. Will be shocked if we don't see the ZPM getting drained badly in S4 & them being placed in trouble because of it.

Comment

There's been several threads about the true power of ZPMs.
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
          Simple answer...For dramatic effect!

It makes the writers jobs easier to have them in jeopardy every season with enemies attacking & them not having enough power to deal with what's coming. If the ZPM would last for 1000's of years, then there really wouldn't be any threat or danger to Atlantis. So to make the stories simpler they have them screw up, drain the ZPM down. Bad guys come around & instant jeopardy!

Of course it gets old & tiresome, especially since they've done it a few times now & we know they'll deplete one, then quickly get another in to replace it. However I doubt they'll change it after all this time. Will be shocked if we don't see the ZPM getting drained badly in S4 & them being placed in trouble because of it.
          I fully agree.
          The jeopardy of having a depleted ZPM was an important element in season 1, but this is no longer working. The writers have provided new zpm's anytime they wished, so the lack of energy doesn't have any dramatic effect anymore : just look at the recent Adrift+Lifeline - a 2-episode plot that had the main purpose of providing a new ZPM.

Comment

actually it has been stated that running a shield doesnt drain zpm's easily, but running a shield under attack does. wrath weapons have massive firepower and about 9 hiveships bombarded them constantly. the shield would have no regeneration time. same with the asuran beam, and also shown in unending. the key to penetrate shields is to have a lot of damage at a small spot. it either leaks energy through or quickly drains power. also running 3 zpm's simultaniously lessens the pressure on each zpm. annother thing: the AE is inexperienced with zpm's. the ancients probably used all kinds of protocols to run them at maximum efficiency. if the power input to the shield would be equal to whats required to keep it up, nothing more, nothing less, and it would be calibrated perfectly, then a zpm would hold out longer. remember atlantis wasnt submerged that deep. the entire city was asleep, and only the nessecary power to the shield was delivered.

Comment

A single hive constantly shooting at Atlantis's shields would take at least a month and a week or so to deplete the shield assuming that the shield depletes at a linear rate rather than a parabolic rate that the odyssey shields deplete at
              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                A single hive constantly shooting at Atlantis's shields would take at least a month and a week or so to deplete the shield assuming that the shield depletes at a linear rate rather than a parabolic rate that the odyssey shields deplete at
                Those are some big words good thing I took preclac or I would have no idea what you are talking about but was it you that came up with parabolic drop in shields by using math and what was said in the show or was it someone else? because I liked that theory
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

thanks, that was me, some one did correct it because i drew my graphs out by hand so it was approximate.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                    they arent limitless, the zero point energy is drawn from an artificial microscopic universe, which collapses after a while, and the more energy you draw, the faster they collapse,
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                      they arent limitless, the zero point energy is drawn from an artificial microscopic universe, which collapses after a while, and the more energy you draw, the faster they collapse,
                      That makes sense.
                      Best quotes ever:
                      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Titanic in power and faster than a speeding mullet.

ZPM's are clearly the pinnacle of battery technology.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                          Titanic in power and faster than a speeding mullet.

ZPM's are clearly the pinnacle of battery technology.
                          do you supose they come in AAA versions?

Comment

I can't help but think that the Ancients were incredibly short sighted about leaving Atlantis. They left the city with just 3 ZPMs and abandoned it hoping that "one day" their kind may return. Well..... they have - in the form of the SGA team. The city is underpowered and almost useless. Surely if you intend to let your own race return, you leave adequate reserve supplies incase the knowledge to create them is lost in time?

It would be like humans leaving earth to live on the moon. We come back a thousand years later and discover all these wonderful cars we can use. Only snag is we shortly run out of diesel and we have no idea how to make it and our ancestors didn't leave any spare barrels around..

Rather short sighted really.

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz View Post
                              I can't help but think that the Ancients were incredibly short sighted about leaving Atlantis. They left the city with just 3 ZPMs and abandoned it hoping that "one day" their kind may return. Well..... they have - in the form of the SGA team. The city is underpowered and almost useless. Surely if you intend to let your own race return, you leave adequate reserve supplies incase the knowledge to create them is lost in time?

It would be like humans leaving earth to live on the moon. We come back a thousand years later and discover all these wonderful cars we can use. Only snag is we shortly run out of diesel and we have no idea how to make it and our ancestors didn't leave any spare barrels around..

Rather short sighted really.
                              We have seen the ancients make mistakes many times, they were responsible for creating the wraith, they then failed to stop them from becoming a powerfull enemy. So it doesn't suprise me that they just left atlantis. They even didn't leave a ZPM after wier went back and told them what would happen. They did do some stupid things.
                              Best quotes ever:

Comment

Working...
                              X