This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-military applications for advanced tech

Out of all the technology that has been discovered over the past 11 years... access to the database of the Ancients and a gift of all the knowledge and technology of the Asgard, nothing has been developed that isn't just militaristic in Nature.

Why isn't the technology being put to use Terraforming Mars and Venus for example, Asgard beaming technology alone would be a HUGE advantage to thickening Mar's atmosphere (by beaming harvested gases from the outer planets straight to the surface) or the construction of a giant shade sail in the Venus/Sun lagrange point... then its just a simple matter of beaming the billions of tonnes of frozen CO2 away to help turn into oxygen for mars.

Even the replicator blocks/asuran nanites could help in the construction of a giant zpm powered electromagnetic coil buried under the surface of Venus to get an Earth like rotation happening.

Theres been little to no mention of any practical medical or even general technology in the show, let alone things that we SHOULD be doing with such technology.

But anyway, I digress... what introduced technology do you think would benefit humanity and how/why.

You're wrong on one point.

"Theres been little to no mention of any practical medical or even general technology in the show, let alone things that we SHOULD be doing with such technology."

We've seen Carter and Lee take part in exhibitions that are all about showing technology they've acquired and backwards engineered. This allows them to introduce technology slowly instead of waking up early one morning and learning the US military have had held laser weapons and that stun and/or kill with just one 1 hit.

Plus. we've seen a US Air Force hosptial where alien technology is used on patients to help them.

Everything related to the SGC is still classified top secret. NASA can't announce that they've got the technology to fly to mars within a few minutes and are setting up colonies or they're setting up moon bases. It's going to be hard for them to keep the SGC secret when people are calling up looking to know how much it could cost if would sent them up on a new fancy space fighter jet.

sigpic

Comment

Why bother terraforming planets in our system (especially one like Mars which is smaller than Earth) when if they ever needed to move populations around they can go to any number of uninhabited planets in the galaxy that already have life on them? A project like that also requires help from military vessels which is a complete waste of resources during wartime. Then you have the issue of how long it actually takes to terraform a planet even with the alien technology they have available to them.

That said, they have been working to use slowly release technology harvested from the Stargate program into the general population. They've been making references to wanting to do that since the early seasons of Sg-1. But, two recent episodes come to mind which best show this. The first is, season 9's Stronghold. Here we see a military hospital that makes use of advanced technology to treat their patients:

KELLY: I won't lie to you -- it's in a tricky spot. But as you know, we have access to certain technology not available to everyone else just yet.
      The second is season 10's Bounty where Doctor Lee and Samatha display military technology at a conference (in reality it's reverse engineered alien tech that they are passing off as a normal part of their advancement).

LEE
      Doesn't it bother you, to come to these—
      LEE
      (to Carter)
      To come to these conferences to present new technology and actually adding flaws, (more quietly)
      I mean pretending we know less than we really do?
      CARTER
      Well, you know the drill. We have to act like there's a process of development.
      LEE
      Oh sure, easy for you! You're presenting Chimera. It's practically a fully functioning Asgard hologram system. I get stuck with a plasma cannon that's supposedly shorts out at the drop of a hat.
      Notice Lee suggests that this is far from their first conference and that the public is one step closer to getting their hands on holographic technology.

Comment

I think the intar should be given to Earth's police forces as it seems to be a weapon that can not kill but will stun and can be set to different setting and will not hurt innocent people the way bullets do plus the intar can be made into any weapon
        Vote Anubis for President in 2012
        A Face you Can Trust
        sigpic
        So whats the worst that could happen?
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

It'd make sense to use intars as standard issue sidearms or even main weapons as well, if they have a need to kill just swap the magazine for a real one, but that wouldn't make it much fun eh?

Comment

Even something as simple as using beaming technology for transporting goods around the world.... would save billions on costs. I won't even start on how it would transform tourism. lets go get a coffee, Hmmmm, Rome or Paris?

Comment

A lot of the technology that Earth now has could be very useful in everyday life, but if it fell into the wrong hands it would be a disaster. Imagine what horrors a group of terrorists could do if they had access to Asgard beaming technology for example.
              sigpic

Comment

well on thing that would be good is if they used small naqauda (sp) reactors to power electric cars
                And large ones for the power grid
                just think of how much it would reduce the fine dust and co2 emmission's
                The goalud healing device with some modifications could save alot of people now dying from cancer

The matter replicator could be used to prevent us from running out of minerals like copper and iron + if can you use it in reverse you could shrink the garbage dumps considerably by reduceing everything to there base atoms and then using them again

Comment

and let's not forget ALL we learned about crystal computers from the tok'ra, the anchients, and probably som eother dudes.
                  these would revolutionise virtualy every field that uses any kind of computers...

Comment

But with great power comes great responibilty

So beaming tech would be great but as someone said let the wrong hands get it and were dead and using naqauda for cars would be bvery bad idea at the time, all terrisot would have to do is buy a bunch a cars then BOOM and we're all dead so you have to wait on some tech but I think a lot of tech should be given such as intars
                    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic
                    So whats the worst that could happen?
                    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Do they even know how to make intars? I know they use them to train Stargate trainees, but I'm pretty sure that for all we know they only have the limited supply that they got from Apophis' training camp. I don't recall a single mention to them discovering how to make them from scratch, but I could be mistaken.
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 04 November 2007, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                        Why bother terraforming planets in our system (especially one like Mars which is smaller than Earth) when if they ever needed to move populations around they can go to any number of uninhabited planets in the galaxy that already have life on them? A project like that also requires help from military vessels which is a complete waste of resources during wartime. Then you have the issue of how long it actually takes to terraform a planet even with the alien technology they have available to them.
                        Very good point. IMO it would be a lot more benefitial to just use the gate and go to other planets already set for our lifeforms, and make colonies there. Heck that would also serve a good use by getting rid of some of the over crouding here.

That said, they have been working to use slowly release technology harvested from the Stargate program into the general population. They've been making references to wanting to do that since the early seasons of Sg-1. But, two recent episodes come to mind which best show this. The first is, season 9's Stronghold. Here we see a military hospital that makes use of advanced technology to treat their patients:
                        I loved that, but i wonder if they only did that for the fact that this hospital treats SG personnel.. Would hey release it to others?

The second is season 10's Bounty where Doctor Lee and Samatha display military technology at a conference (in reality it's reverse engineered alien tech that they are passing off as a normal part of their advancement).

Notice Lee suggests that this is far from their first conference and that the public is one step closer to getting their hands on holographic technology.
                        True... Which makes me wonder how long it will be before they release naquida reactor tech to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          True... Which makes me wonder how long it will be before they release naquida reactor tech to the world.
                          Probably won't be until after the Stargate program becomes public. I can't imagine a scenario where they can explain how they created a power source using something that is found nowhere on Earth. Plus they only mine a limited amount of the stuff and in wartime they should be putting all of it towards building more warheads, ships, etc (even they wanted to, they don't have enough to supply even a small portion of the general population with it).

Comment

nah, for comercial uses they would use NIGs, naq generators are good for in field deployment were u can't lug the giant NIGs.

Comment

Naquada generators are a bad idea for use in the general pop. I can see maybe a military version, but they are just too explosive.

Intars can't be to hard to reproduce, if we can make interstellar battle ships, I think we can manage making some stun bullets.

Comment

Working...
                              X