Alien/Predator Chronology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien/Predator Chronology

So far, there's four Alien movies, two Predator movies, and a crossover movie with a sequel coming out in two months. Let's examine the chronology.

The Present
    1987: Predator
    1997: Predator 2
    2004: Alien vs. Predator
    2007: Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

The Future
    Alien
    Aliens (56 Years Later)
    Alien 3
    Alien Resurrection (200 Years Later)

After examining this timeline, would you consider the AVP movies to be prequels to Alien and sequels to Predator, or would you classify them as spin-off movies that take place between Alien and Predator? I would imagine that an official sequel or prequel would feature only the Alien or the Predator. I classify a crossover movie as more of a spin-off, because it takes the story into an entirely new dirction. The Predators are hunting Aliens instead of people, and the Aliens are on Earth in the present instead of terrorising Ripley in the future. That said, here's how I look at the movies.

The ALIEN Saga
    Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3
    Alien Resurrection

The PREDATOR Saga
    Predator
    Predator 2

The AvP Saga
    Alien vs. Predator (Predator sequel, Alien prequel)
    Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (Predator sequel, Alien prequel)

It would be nice if they made Alien 5 or Predator 3, but this is unlikely since FOX is focusing on Alien vs. Predator.

i thin they'd be more likely to do an Alien 0 than an Alien 5, perhaps try and bridge the AvP chronology with Alien, and because of how AlienR ended, but i don't think i'd like to see that.
    and with AvP around, i doubt they'd do a Predator 3 set in the present, but again, they could do a Predator 0, which i would definatley watch if done right, or even a Predator 3 set in the future rather than present, i'd probably watch that too if done right.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Alien 0, Predator 0, what?

Comment

you know, a proper prequal like Cube Zero, Ring 0, and Resident Evil 0, not AvP, just a Alien or Predator Movie but set BEFORE the orig film.
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

I've just never heard of a prequel that was called Title 0. So you're saying you want to see prequels to Alien and Predator instead of sequels? I don't see how they could do an Alien prequel that's not part of the AVP series. If they're going to do another Alien movie, they should make Alien 5 with Sigourney Weaver returning one last time as the Ripley Clone and take the conflict to the Alien's homeworld. A Predator prequel could work, though. Imagine a Predator hunting people during the American civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
            I've just never heard of a prequel that was called Title 0. So you're saying you want to see prequels to Alien and Predator instead of sequels? I don't see how they could do an Alien prequel that's not part of the AVP series. If they're going to do another Alien movie, they should make Alien 5 with Sigourney Weaver returning one last time as the Ripley Clone and take the conflict to the Alien's homeworld. A Predator prequel could work, though. Imagine a Predator hunting people during the American civil war.
            well i did just name 3
            and i meant they could do a movie that focuses on the aliens but explains how they were taken from the predators by the space jockeys.

and a predator movie would be cool in Nam, or WW2, american civil war we were too primative for the preds to bother with us.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            Quotes!
            sigpic

Comment

An Alien prequel needs to focus on the Alien backstory, not AVP's backstory. What do you mean by Space Jockeys taking the Aliens from the Predators? There's nothing in any of the movies that explains the origins of the Aliens. All we know is that a crashed alien ship filled with "Alien" eggs was discovered and that the Predators hunt the Aliens for sport. Beyond that, we know nothing. Novels and comic books do not count, because while the movies may borrow elements from those stories, the movies are not obligated to follow every detail. As I've said, there's really nothing to tell before Alien, because the movie series begins with the discovery of that crashed alien ship with the eggs. The company wanted it, but we never knew why. I suspect AVPR will answer that question. There's really only two movies they could make for Alien 5: Aliens on Earth or going to the Alien's homeworld.

Vietnam, World War II, the American Civil War... this makes us too primitive how? The Predators don't care if the prey has technology or not, they just care if the prey is going to put up a good fight. A Human being, regardless of the time period, is going to be able to hold it's own against a Predator, even if all he has is a sword. The Predator could always choose not to use his shoulder canon to keep it interesting.

Comment

Vietnam, World War II, the American Civil War... this makes us too primitive how? The Predators don't care if the prey has technology or not, they just care if the prey is going to put up a good fight. A Human being, regardless of the time period, is going to be able to hold it's own against a Predator, even if all he has is a sword. The Predator could always choose not to use his shoulder canon to keep it interesting.
                I totally agree. All they're looking for is prey that can hold it's own, so their victory can be honorable, and challenging. The violence of a major war would definitely attract the Predators. It'd be an All You Can Hunt Fest!
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  I totally agree. All they're looking for is prey that can hold it's own, so their victory can be honorable, and challenging. The violence of a major war would definitely attract the Predators. It'd be an All You Can Hunt Fest!
                  i just don't think anyone... internationally speaking, really wants to watch a film about the american civil war, WW2 and Nam were both much more interesting wars and sell better on the international market.

and what i meant about space jockeys taking the alien from predators is that it's the only reason i could think of for them transporting so many eggs in that ship.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  Quotes!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                    i just don't think anyone... internationally speaking, really wants to watch a film about the american civil war, WW2 and Nam were both much more interesting wars and sell better on the international market.
                    It doesn't have to be the American civil war, it was just a random example that I threw out there. Also, I think the story should be first priority over international ticket/DVD sales. If it's a good movie, people will see it.

and what i meant about space jockeys taking the alien from predators is that it's the only reason i could think of for them transporting so many eggs in that ship.
                    Why does the Space Jockey have to be explained at all? I prefer the mystery.

As I had asked before, would you classify the AVP movies as prequels or spin-offs?

Comment

Why does the Space Jockey have to be explained at all? I prefer the mystery.

As I had asked before, would you classify the AVP movies as prequels or spin-offs?
                      i guess that's true, wouldn't mind seeing at least a few minutes of CGI space jokeys or something

and i would say they are both, because it is assumed that the alien movies happened in the AVP universe so in the AVP universe they are prequals, but the AvP movies didn't have to happen for the Alien movie to exist, so in the alien universe they are spin offs, but then again, stargate atlantis is in the same universe as SG-1 but that's a spin off.

i will say spin offs because they have a different name.
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      Quotes!
                      sigpic

Comment

I've never considered the Alien movies to be sequels to Predator or Predator to be prequels to Alien. I wouldn't even consider them spinoffs of each other because the Alien movies had nothing in them that lead to Predator and all Predator had was a xenomorph skull which just gave a reference to the Alien movies (as both were owned by FOX) and the comic book which had come out a year earlier than Predator 2.

I just see the combination of Aliens and Predator 2 to be nothing more than a hint to the comic or an attempt to bridge both movies into the same universe. I wouldn't consider them sequels or prequel or spinoffs because the original movies weren't done as such but were done as seperate movies and seperate series.

The Alien vs Predator movies i'd consider to be a spinoff of both, as it was actually planned that way. If the AVP movie hadn't been done I wouldn't considered the movies to be related other than having a reference to Predator. So with these movies, I do accept the chronology in the first post but I still stand by my opinon that Aliens and Predator 1/2 weren't sequels or prequels in any form nor spinoffs of each other. One series just referenced the other.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          I've never considered the Alien movies to be sequels to Predator or Predator to be prequels to Alien. I wouldn't even consider them spinoffs of each other because the Alien movies had nothing in them that lead to Predator and all Predator had was a xenomorph skull which just gave a reference to the Alien movies (as both were owned by FOX) and the comic book which had come out a year earlier than Predator 2.
                          Uh... no one's talking about Alien being sequels to Predator or vice versa. We're talking about AVP doubling as sequels to Predator and prequels to Alien.

I just see the combination of Aliens and Predator 2 to be nothing more than a hint to the comic or an attempt to bridge both movies into the same universe. I wouldn't consider them sequels or prequel or spinoffs because the original movies weren't done as such but were done as seperate movies and seperate series.
                          Aliens and Predator 2, do you mean Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem? The AVP movies may be inspired by the comic books and novels, but they're clearly connected to the Alien and Predator movies. I mean, how can you have Aliens or Predators and it not be an Alien or Predator movie? I understand that Alien and Predator weren't intended to be in the same creative world, but AVP does bridge the two film series. If we used the logic that only original intentions were applicable, then sequels, prequels, and spin-offs would never be made.

The Alien vs Predator movies i'd consider to be a spinoff of both, as it was actually planned that way. If the AVP movie hadn't been done I wouldn't considered the movies to be related other than having a reference to Predator.
                          So you do agree that the AVP movies are spin-offs. I agree, if AVP hadn't been made, then they would be separate film series.

So with these movies, I do accept the chronology in the first post but I still stand by my opinon that Aliens and Predator 1/2 weren't sequels or prequels in any form nor spinoffs of each other. One series just referenced the other.
                          Alien vs. Predator
                          The movie features Predators from the Predator movies, yet it's not a sequel? Huh? The movie features Aliens from the Alien film series in the present rather than in the future. They even include Charles "Bishop" Weyland, the ancestor of the creator of the Bishop android. How is this not a prequel? Seriously, I don't understand your logic.

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
                          If the first movie is a Predator sequel and an Alien prequel, wouldn't this movie also be just that?

Comment

Uh... no one's talking about Alien being sequels to Predator or vice versa. We're talking about AVP doubling as sequels to Predator and prequels to Alien.

I got mixed up there. I meant Predator being prequels to Alien, and Alien being sequels to Predator.

Aliens and Predator 2, do you mean Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem? The AVP movies may be inspired by the comic books and novels, but they're clearly connected to the Alien and Predator movies. I mean, how can you have Aliens or Predators and it not be an Alien or Predator movie? I understand that Alien and Predator weren't intended to be in the same creative world, but AVP does bridge the two film series. If we used the logic that only original intentions were applicable, then sequels, prequels, and spin-offs would never be made.
                            No, I mean Aliens as a whole, and Predator 2. Not AVP2. As I see it, Aliens is a seperate entity, Predator is a seperate entity. Even with the xenomorph skull in Predator 2, both are still completely seperate and not related by sequel status, prequel status or spinoff status. Even with with AVP, they are the only thing I consider to be sequels (as they are after Predator), prequels (as they are before Aliens) and spinoffs (as they are their own franchise) but I still consider the original movies for both Alien and Predator to be set in the same universe, yet unrelated to each other than the skull reference.

So you do agree that the AVP movies are spin-offs. I agree, if AVP hadn't been made, then they would be separate film series.
                            Yes I agree what AVP is a spinoff of both. I would still consider them seperate even with the AVP movies but it's the AVP movies that finally connect that bridge.

Alien vs. Predator
                            The movie features Predators from the Predator movies, yet it's not a sequel? Huh? The movie features Aliens from the Alien film series in the present rather than in the future. They even include Charles "Bishop" Weyland, the ancestor of the creator of the Bishop android. How is this not a prequel? Seriously, I don't understand your logic.
                            Just because it happens before or after a movie, I don't think necessarily makes it a prequel or sequel. For me, Alien 0/Zero or Predator 3 would be a prequel or sequel.

For me, AVP is a spinoff series so it doesn't fall under the catagory or sequel or prequel. In the Alien and the Predator movies, it's been about humans fighting for survival against one or the other. It's never been about humans being in the middle, which is what both AVP movies are about. That's a fundamental change in plot. If it wasn't for human characters being in the first AVP, we wouldn't have had a clue when it took place or the Bishop reference.

Just because it takes place before or after a movie chronologically, that doesn't make it a sequel or prequel because it's part of a new series rather than directly connected to a previous one.

If the first movie is a Predator sequel and an Alien prequel, wouldn't this movie also be just that?
                            If you consider them sequels and prequels then yes, these would be sequels and prequels. For me, AVP2 is a sequel to AVP 1. It's just set chronologically after Predator 2 and before Alien but to me that still doesn't make it a sequel or prequel to those.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              I got mixed up there. I meant Predator being prequels to Alien, and Alien being sequels to Predator.
                              Right, but we're not discussing Predator and Alien being prequels or sequels to each other, but rather if AVP is a sequel to Predator and a prequel to Alien.

No, I mean Aliens as a whole, and Predator 2. Not AVP2. As I see it, Aliens is a seperate entity, Predator is a seperate entity. Even with the xenomorph skull in Predator 2, both are still completely seperate and not related by sequel status, prequel status or spinoff status. Even with with AVP, they are the only thing I consider to be sequels (as they are after Predator), prequels (as they are before Aliens) and spinoffs (as they are their own franchise) but I still consider the original movies for both Alien and Predator to be set in the same universe, yet unrelated to each other than the skull reference.
                              ALIEN: Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection
                              PREDATOR: Predator, Predator 2

You're right, these are two separate film series... unless you include AVP, then it's one big film series consisting of eight movies: four Alien, two Predator, and two crossovers. I was never saying the solo-Alien and solo-Predator movies were connected, I was saying that they're bridged by AVP.

Yes I agree what AVP is a spinoff of both. I would still consider them seperate even with the AVP movies but it's the AVP movies that finally connect that bridge.
                              You consider them seperate, but you consider them connected by AVP? Huh? Either they're separate or they're connected, they can't be both.

Just because it happens before or after a movie, I don't think necessarily makes it a prequel or sequel. For me, Alien 0/Zero or Predator 3 would be a prequel or sequel.
                              A sequel is a movie that either continues the story, puts the characters in a new story, or is a thematic sequel meaning that new characters are introduced but are part of the overall series. The same applies to a prequel, except it's an earlier adventure rather than moving forward. Using Alien as an example: If the Aliens appear in a movie, it's an Alien movie. The Aliens appear in both Alien vs. Predator movies which are set in the present were as the solo movies are set in the future. That makes AVP 1-2 prequels to Alien 1-4.

For me, AVP is a spinoff series so it doesn't fall under the catagory or sequel or prequel. In the Alien and the Predator movies, it's been about humans fighting for survival against one or the other. It's never been about humans being in the middle, which is what both AVP movies are about. That's a fundamental change in plot. If it wasn't for human characters being in the first AVP, we wouldn't have had a clue when it took place or the Bishop reference.
                              A movie can be both a spin-off and a sequel or prequel. It's just a matter of plugging the movie into the series' timeline which I've done for both Alien and Predator below.

ALIEN
                              Alien vs. Predator
                              Alien
                              Aliens
                              Alien 3
                              Alien Resurrection

PREDATOR
                              Predator
                              Predator 2
                              Alien vs. Predator

AVP1&2 would be spin-offs that're also prequels to Alien and sequels to Predator.

Just because it takes place before or after a movie chronologically, that doesn't make it a sequel or prequel...
                              It does.

...because it's part of a new series rather than directly connected to a previous one.
                              As I've said, it can be both.

If you consider them sequels and prequels then yes, these would be sequels and prequels. For me, AVP2 is a sequel to AVP 1. It's just set chronologically after Predator 2 and before Alien but to me that still doesn't make it a sequel or prequel to those.
                              Alien: Original
                              Alien 2-4: Sequels
                              Alien vs. Predator 1-2: Spin-off Prequels

Predator: Original
                              Predator 2: Sequel
                              Alien vs. Predator 1-2: Spin-off Sequels

That's how I look at it. I'm sorry if this post was too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X