Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone want new ship classes? (possible spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does everyone want new ship classes? (possible spoilers)

Every time we hear word of a new ship being announced, Ancient, Earth ship etc people always say that they want it to be a new class, but why? It's unrealistic to expect a new class of ship every 2 or so ships that appear.

The Phoenix looks like it will be Daedalus class but we won't know until the episode airs. The Ancient warship in ''Travelers'' was also Aurora class.

Why does everyone always want new classes of ships? I never understood that.

Vala,

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
    Every time we hear word of a new ship being announced, Ancient, Earth ship etc people always say that they want it to be a new class, but why? It's unrealistic to expect a new class of ship every 2 or so ships that appear.

The Phoenix looks like it will be Daedalus class but we won't know until the episode airs. The Ancient warship in ''Travelers'' was also Aurora class.

Why does everyone always want new classes of ships? I never understood that.

Vala,
    People like to see new eye candy. Generally speaking viewers like to 'wowed' by new technologies etc...That's why. No one wants to see the same ships over and over again. It's like when you say saw an Ori mother ship for the first time you think, 'how cool is that look at it squash those Ha'tak!' but after you see it a couple of times it doesn't seem quite as cool or amazing.

It's all about the ever so elusive WOW factor...
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I like it the way it is now, IMO the fewer the better

The more ships we see the more its like every other Scifi show (trek)

Instead of ship battles I would rather see gun battles, more hand to hand combat, IMO that would make the show more exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
        People like to see new eye candy. Generally speaking viewers like to 'wowed' by new technologies etc...That's why. No one wants to see the same ships over and over again. It's like when you say saw an Ori mother ship for the first time you think, 'how cool is that look at it squash those Ha'tak!' but after you see it a couple of times it doesn't seem quite as cool or amazing.

It's all about the ever so elusive WOW factor...
        That, and that it's unrealistic to only have ONE ship...
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Also tactically its unrealistic to only see one class of ship, the goauld only have 6 known classes, hatak, flagship, alkesh, teltak and glider and dropship. That does represent a good balence but the ancients, a far superior race should have more classes, they only have 3 so far, city ship, warship and shuttle/light fighter (PJ) they should at least have a mid level cruiser. The wraith have only got 4 classes, dart, hive, cruiser and transport shuttle. Not enough. For Earth we should be looking at diversifying our fleet, so we can produce more ships, with more capabilities, a destroyer, a cruiser, a carrier, a battleship, a frigate, a bomber, a shuttle. With our experience in naval fleets we are a cut above the races in this galaxy who to our knowledge did not have thousands of years of planet based military development in tactics and technology. Thats the reason i want new classes and its the reason that the fleets exist to provide a realistic counter to the fleet of ships currently in SGA/SG1.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

the anchients DO have a cruiser, or at least something like it) u can see it in projeny, the ship with the fat engine block.
            and more advanced races logicaly have fiewer clases. as they can fit more stuff in one package. and logicaly speaking, there are only 2 ship clases that u have in realistic space fleets, a battleship(aurora) and a frigate(progeny ship), the cruiser being a cheaper alternative to a battleship so u can make more, and the battleship so u can pown ass.

Comment

the reason people want new classes of ships beacause the current ships(earth) are crap
              The are only good for two things
              A) large freighter
              B) getting shot and destroyed because they don't have any offensive weapons that work

Take the nukes for example the seem to be contact detonated like normal bombs
              The reason why this is unrealistic is that a nuke needs a set amount of time to start the fission reaction
              It wont get this time when hitting an object/shields since the core is destroyed before it reaches critical mass

A new ship usably also has new weapons
              Last edited by Xeon_1; 28 October 2007, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeon_1 View Post

A new ship usably also has new weapons
                and everybody likes the fireworks

Comment

because new stuff is cool, remember when you saw your first cargo ship or al'kesh, it was all... ooh thats a nice change to endless hat'aks, then one off ships like osiris's yaught, the goa'uld gate ship, or the grace ship were nice to see, pretty much most seasons have introduced at least one new ship, be it one off, or returning. and it's nice to keep that pace up.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

becouse it's great to see and they are fighting wars one after another almost never gain anything and then they want to win a war they can reverse engineer the kull armour done that no different kind off ships open up new ways to fight i dont even understand why they dont have a underground factory on the planet for repairs and building it's like they dont use there heads to fight.

and the current design looks like something the borg would build.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                      I like it the way it is now, IMO the fewer the better

The more ships we see the more its like every other Scifi show (trek)

Instead of ship battles I would rather see gun battles, more hand to hand combat, IMO that would make the show more exciting.
                      why not both?

Cant you see an episode, where drop ships come off a destroyer. An enemy attacks the ship, while our drop ships drop off thousands of troops. Then theres a huge ground battle while in space fighters bombers and destroyers face off against enemies.
                      Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                        The wraith have only got 4 classes, dart, hive, cruiser and transport shuttle. Not enough.
                        There is a new class of Wraith Cruiser being introduced this year, which varies from the previously seen cruisers.

Here is a concept drawing of the new Wraith Cruiser from Joe's blog:

Spoiler:

Also, there has been mention of a Wraith Scout Ship (In Aurora) and a supposedly discontinued Wraith Supply Ship.

So there is 6 classes, and one discontinued

Also, the Ancient ship in Travellers seemed to be another type of Aurora class, I would suspect either older or newer than the ones we have seen before. The inside was completely different, having a control chair etc... and a totally different style.
                        Last edited by SGFerrit; 28 October 2007, 02:06 PM.

Comment

It'd be nice, but really I don't care. I want the writing to improve. They can re-use old Star Wars and Galactica effects shots for all I care. Just as long as the story is well-structured, paced and acted.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
                            It'd be nice, but really I don't care. I want the writing to improve. They can re-use old Star Wars and Galactica effects shots for all I care. Just as long as the story is well-structured, paced and acted.
                            Yes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
                              Agreed but I still wish they would show a new class every once in awhile maybe every new season would be nice just something new so we don't have to see a ha'tak everytime
                              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                              A Face you Can Trust
                              sigpic
                              So whats the worst that could happen?
                              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Working...
                              X