This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earthsea

Is anyone a fan of Ursula K. LeGuin's A Wizard of Earthsea? The Sci-Fi channel is doing a 4 hr miniseries on it entitled Earthsea, encompassing the first and second books of the trilogy. It's due out this December.

Amanda Tapping has a cameo in it!
    A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

I have seen the commercials for it on Sci-Fi, but I had never heard of it before that. All I know is that it is based off of a series of books.

How were the books, and what is the basic plot?
    O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
    Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

From the commericals, I will watch it, even if I have to tape it to watch later. One of the stars is Shawn Ashmore of the X-Men movies, who plays Bobby Drake/Iceman.

Comment

The basic plot of the first book is that Ged, a young boy who has the power for a wizard, is trained and becomes a wizard, but unleashes a dark power on the world, one that hunts him down and he must face it. Book Two is very different, with a different character for most of it. I can't remember her name right now, but she's a priestess at a sort of cult of darkness, and she captures Ged, and sort of befriends him, and he shows her his way of life and of the world around him. Hm... I'll post something better up when I have more time.

The books are outstanding. They're probably some of the better fantasy books out there, ranking with Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials Trilogy.

Comment

Okay, here are the summaries that I pulled off of Amazon.com:

Comment

Okay, here are the summaries that I pulled off of Amazon.com:

A Wizard of Earthsea:
            In print for more than three decades and translated into dozens of languages, here is the audio release of the first book in The Earthsea Trilogy. This is a tale of wizards, dragons, and shadows, played in an archipelago of imagined islands. The young boy Sparrowhawk becomes apprentice to a Master Wizard; but impatience to learn faster takes him far from home to Roke Island, where he enters the School for Wizards. As a student of magic, Sparrowhawk exceeds his years in accomplishment, but pride and jealousy drive the boy to try certain dangerous powers too soon. A terrible evil is let loose in the land.

The Tombs of Atuan:
            WHEN YOUNG TENAR is chosen as high priestess to the ancient and nameless Powers of the Earth, everything is taken away -- home, family, possessions, even her name. For she is now Arha, the Eaten One, guardian of the ominous Tombs of Atuan. While she is learning her way through the dark labyrinth, a young wizard, Ged, comes to steal the Tombs' greatest hidden treasure, the Ring of Erreth-Akbe. But Ged also brings with him the light of magic, and together, he and Tenar escape from the darkness that has become her domain.

Comment

Thanks, that sounds very interesting. I will make sure I catch it.
              O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
              Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

I think that it will be well worth it. www.scifi.com has a couple trailers under the Earthsea page, as well as some pictures and backrounds. No images of Amanda Tapping yet though.

Comment

They just updated their page again, with some more pictures, as well as a picture of the dragons!

Comment

Amanda Tapping may not be the only Stargate actress in Earthsea. Isn't the actress who played Ren'al (the Tok'ra council lady from episodes Enemies and Summit) also in Earthsea?

Comment

Really? That's great news!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosha

Amanda Tapping may not be the only Stargate actress in Earthsea. Isn't the actress who played Ren'al (the Tok'ra council lady from episodes Enemies and Summit) also in Earthsea?

I was right. Jennifer Calvert (Ren'al) plays Kossil in the upcoming miniseries.

Comment

There's a new trailer for theaters up at www.scifi.com/earthsea. It looks really good.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this miniseries as well, however it's so annoying that they started talking about it so long ago. It's like: "watch this show!... in three months"

I think it's neat that Amanda Tapping has a cameo too. I saw her in a behind the scenes thing on the Season 7 DVD and she had extensions in her hair. Maybe the extensions were for her part in Earthsea?

Signature banner by Lucia Tanaka

Comment

They did the same thing with the BSG Pilot and Children of Dune. BSG I remebered them showing the teaser back when TAKEN was getting shown, a whole year before it was going to air.

I'm not going to get into this. That whole wizard, dragons, elf thing is wack. But if you guys like it, enjoy.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Working...
                              X