PDA

View Full Version : Earthsea

JediTrilobite
October 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Is anyone a fan of Ursula K. LeGuin's A Wizard of Earthsea? The Sci-Fi channel is doing a 4 hr miniseries on it entitled Earthsea, encompassing the first and second books of the trilogy. It's due out this December.

Amanda Tapping has a cameo in it!

Ramne
October 5th, 2004, 11:32 AM
I have seen the commercials for it on Sci-Fi, but I had never heard of it before that. All I know is that it is based off of a series of books.

How were the books, and what is the basic plot?

greytop
October 5th, 2004, 12:19 PM
From the commericals, I will watch it, even if I have to tape it to watch later. One of the stars is Shawn Ashmore of the X-Men movies, who plays Bobby Drake/Iceman. :)

JediTrilobite
October 5th, 2004, 02:24 PM
The basic plot of the first book is that Ged, a young boy who has the power for a wizard, is trained and becomes a wizard, but unleashes a dark power on the world, one that hunts him down and he must face it. Book Two is very different, with a different character for most of it. I can't remember her name right now, but she's a priestess at a sort of cult of darkness, and she captures Ged, and sort of befriends him, and he shows her his way of life and of the world around him. Hm... I'll post something better up when I have more time.

The books are outstanding. They're probably some of the better fantasy books out there, ranking with Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials Trilogy.

JediTrilobite
October 5th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Okay, here are the summaries that I pulled off of Amazon.com:

JediTrilobite
October 5th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Okay, here are the summaries that I pulled off of Amazon.com:

A Wizard of Earthsea:
In print for more than three decades and translated into dozens of languages, here is the audio release of the first book in The Earthsea Trilogy. This is a tale of wizards, dragons, and shadows, played in an archipelago of imagined islands. The young boy Sparrowhawk becomes apprentice to a Master Wizard; but impatience to learn faster takes him far from home to Roke Island, where he enters the School for Wizards. As a student of magic, Sparrowhawk exceeds his years in accomplishment, but pride and jealousy drive the boy to try certain dangerous powers too soon. A terrible evil is let loose in the land.

The Tombs of Atuan:
WHEN YOUNG TENAR is chosen as high priestess to the ancient and nameless Powers of the Earth, everything is taken away -- home, family, possessions, even her name. For she is now Arha, the Eaten One, guardian of the ominous Tombs of Atuan. While she is learning her way through the dark labyrinth, a young wizard, Ged, comes to steal the Tombs' greatest hidden treasure, the Ring of Erreth-Akbe. But Ged also brings with him the light of magic, and together, he and Tenar escape from the darkness that has become her domain.

Ramne
October 5th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks, that sounds very interesting. I will make sure I catch it.

JediTrilobite
October 6th, 2004, 04:11 AM
I think that it will be well worth it. www.scifi.com has a couple trailers under the Earthsea page, as well as some pictures and backrounds. No images of Amanda Tapping yet though.

JediTrilobite
October 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
They just updated their page again, with some more pictures, as well as a picture of the dragons!

Rosha
October 13th, 2004, 04:29 AM

Amanda Tapping may not be the only Stargate actress in Earthsea. Isn't the actress who played Ren'al (the Tok'ra council lady from episodes Enemies and Summit) also in Earthsea?

JediTrilobite
October 13th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Really? That's great news!

Rosha
November 8th, 2004, 03:15 AM

Amanda Tapping may not be the only Stargate actress in Earthsea. Isn't the actress who played Ren'al (the Tok'ra council lady from episodes Enemies and Summit) also in Earthsea?

I was right. Jennifer Calvert (Ren'al) plays Kossil in the upcoming miniseries.

JediTrilobite
November 8th, 2004, 04:05 AM
There's a new trailer for theaters up at www.scifi.com/earthsea. It looks really good.

Asgard Buddy
November 16th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I'm really looking forward to this miniseries as well, however it's so annoying that they started talking about it so long ago. It's like: "watch this show!... in three months" :p

I think it's neat that Amanda Tapping has a cameo too. I saw her in a behind the scenes thing on the Season 7 DVD and she had extensions in her hair. Maybe the extensions were for her part in Earthsea?

DownFallAngel
November 16th, 2004, 04:34 PM
They did the same thing with the BSG Pilot and Children of Dune. BSG I remebered them showing the teaser back when TAKEN was getting shown, a whole year before it was going to air.

I'm not going to get into this. That whole wizard, dragons, elf thing is wack. But if you guys like it, enjoy.

puddlejumper747
November 16th, 2004, 07:44 PM
I'm not going to get into this. That whole wizard, dragons, elf thing is wack. But if you guys like it, enjoy.
[gasp] Do you mean to say that you didn't even like The Lord of the Rings?!?!? :S :p

morjana
November 16th, 2004, 10:10 PM
One wonders if the SciFi Channel had promoted "Stargate SG-1" with this much intensity what the results could have been. Higher ratings? Would we be celebrating a multi-year renewal???

From The Futon Critic

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/gofuton.cgi?action=pr&id=20041116scifi01

Tuesday, November 16, 2004
MULTI-FACETED PROMOTIONAL CAMPAIGN MARKS DEBUT OF SCI FI CHANNEL'S 'EARTHSEA' ORIGINAL MINISERIES FROM HALLMARK ENTERTAINMENT
Released by Sci Fi

NATIONAL RETAIL PARTNERSHIP WITH BORDERS SUPPORTED BY RE-RELEASE OF EARTHSEA NOVELS IN UNIQUE COLLABORATION WITH SIMON & SCHUSTER AND BANTAM BOOKS

INTERACTIVE WIZARD CERTIFICATION PROGRAM AND EDUCATIONAL COMPONENT ROUND OUT INTEGRATED MARKETING CAMPAIGN

NEW YORK -- November 16, 2004 -- When SCI FI's newest miniseries event, Earthsea, based on the award-winning Ursula K. Le Guin novels, premieres in two parts on December 13 & 14, 9-11 PM (ET/PT), it will be supported by a unique and multi-faceted marketing campaign that engages a diverse range of promotional partners from the media, literary and retail communities. Earthsea builds upon the prior success of SCI FI's miniseries including Dune, Steven Spielberg Presents TAKEN and Battlestar Galactica and stars Isabella Rossellini, Academy Award-nominated actor Danny Glover, X-Men's Shawn Ashmore and Smallville's Kristin Kreuk. [Moderator's Note: And Amanda Tapping has a cameo role.] Based on the timeless classic A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan, Earthsea marks the network's first foray into fantasy programming.

"SCI FI has established an impressive track record with our Emmy Award-winning December miniseries. We're excited to expand into fantasy programming with one of the most popular franchises in fantasy literature, and to support it with an ambitious marketing campaign," comments SCI FI General Manager, Dave Howe.

"The collaborative promotion behind Earthsea speaks to SCI FI's unique ability to capture the momentum of the increasingly popular fantasy genre, and to reach a broader consumer base through a variety of promotional partnerships across all media," comments Adam Stotsky, SVP, Marketing, SCI FI.

A major national retail partnership with Borders Group, Inc. builds upon the literary heritage of the classic Le Guin novels. In a unique and unprecedented collaboration Le Guin's Publishers, Bantam Books, Simon & Schuster and Harcourt, will partner in promotion of the acclaimed franchise. Bantam Books and Simon & Schuster are re-releasing Earthsea novels with SCI FI designed cover art. SCI FI/Borders Group cross-promotion includes:

- Co-branded Earthsea/Borders television spots airing on SCI FI over a three-month flight.

- A simultaneous campaign in 1,200 Borders & Waldenbooks retail stores features SCI FI branded displays which the Earthsea franchise and series Soundtrack

- Bookmark give-aways at all Borders book stores

- Earthsea coverage within the November Borders This Month in-store shopping guide, the November Borders Science Fiction and Fantasy email newsletter, and the November and December issues of Hailing Frequencies, Waldenbooks' monthly Science Fiction and Fantasy email bulletin.

- A Borders Group charitable donation to Reading is Fundamental (RIF) in conjunction with the Earthsea partnership.

A special broadband promotion featuring exclusive Earthsea content, trailers, screensavers and games launched on November 15. Supplemental affiliate marketing support includes local market screenings, retail kiosks, co-branded cable modem spots and other incentives. As part of SCI FI's ongoing commitment to education and to Cable In The Classroom, the network will provide affiliates with interactive games and educational resources designed to help students develop media literacy skills.

A companion on-line Wizard Education and Certification Program, conceived by SCI FI Marketing and authored by Paul Kieve, Chief Magic Consultant on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, goes live in December. Capitalizing on growing consumer interest in fantasy programming content, the site enables Internet users to learn about the history of Wizardry and magic and to hone their craft with special web seminars or "Web-inars" for the purposes of "Wizard certification."

While advertising efforts entail the full range of media outlets including NBC Universal partnerships and conventional TV, radio, print, out-of-home and online buys, special emphasis is being placed on ancillary promotions. A special three-minute Behind-the-Scenes feature will air on 2,600 Regal Cinema screens, in addition to strategic in-theater ad buys.

Additional elements of the campaign include:

- On-air teasers, affiliate spots and "in-production" vignettes airing on SCI FI for three months leading up to premiere

- Cross-channel promotional placements on NBC, USA, Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC and TRIO

- Ad placement on MTV, TNT, TBS, Comedy Central, VH-1, FX, TLC, E! television networks, spot radio, online, print, and out-of-home outlets

- Promotional placement in Universal Home Video releases Van Helsing and The Chronicles of Riddick and in MGM's release Species

- In-mall advertising in top 10 SCI FI markets

- Electronic Boutique Games promotion in 700 stores in top 10 SCI FI markets, 400,000 branded shopping bags, in-store trailers

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 84 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Proof-Positive
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Proof-Positive

JediTrilobite
December 10th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Upping this- the miniseries is in 3 days!

Anyone really looking forwards to it?

emily_reich
December 10th, 2004, 12:36 PM
i am! i am! i have been waiting for it since i first head of actually... but i've never even read the books! :D it sounds awesome though... aside from new eps of tv, this is the only thing on scifi i've really looked forward to... their movies may not be so great but their miniseries usually are...

MajorSam
December 10th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I'm really looking forward to this miniseries as well, however it's so annoying that they started talking about it so long ago. It's like: "watch this show!... in three months" :p

I think it's neat that Amanda Tapping has a cameo too. I saw her in a behind the scenes thing on the Season 7 DVD and she had extensions in her hair. Maybe the extensions were for her part in Earthsea?

No, I doin't think they were, she usually does grow out her hair somewhat during the break. I don't think the timing's right anyways.

Btw, i'm SOOOO excited for it! Firstly, Shawn Ashmore is a SEXY BEAST, and secondly I think Amanda's gonna look really awesome. She has this whole elaborate multi-layered dress/gown thing, and this cape and everything :p

Plus, I just love fantasy!

NightGloom
December 10th, 2004, 05:45 PM
I'm so excited for the miniseries! I read the books a few years ago and I kept thinking that someone should make a movie out of them. Now they finally did! :D

farstrider
December 10th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Source: www.ursulakleguin.com

"Earthsea"
11/13/2004

"Miss Le Guin was not involved in the development of the material or the making of the film, but we've been very, very honest to the books," explains director Rob Lieberman. "We've tried to capture all the levels of spiritualism, emotional content and metaphorical messages. Throughout the whole piece, I saw it as having a great duality of spirituality versus paganism and wizardry, male and female duality. The final moments of the film culminate in the union of all that and represent two different belief systems in this world, and that's what Ursula intended to make a statement about. The only thing that saves this Earthsea universe is the union of those two beliefs."

Sci Fi Magazine
December 2004

I've tried very hard to keep from saying anything at all about this production, being well aware that movies must differ in many ways from the books they're based on, and feeling that I really had no business talking about it, since I was not included in planning it and was given no part in discussions or decisions.

That makes it particularly galling of the director to put words in my mouth.

Mr Lieberman has every right to say what his intentions were in making the film he directed, called "Earthsea." He has no right at all to state what I intended in writing the Earthsea books.

Had "Miss Le Guin" been honestly asked to be involved in the planning of the film, she might have discussed with the film-makers what the books are about.

When I tried to suggest the unwisdom of making radical changes to characters, events, and relationships which have been familiar to hundreds of thousands of readers all over the world for over thirty years, I was sent a copy of the script and informed that production was already under way.

So, for the record: there is no statement in the books, nor did I ever intend to make a statement, about "the union of two belief systems." There's nothing at all about the "duality of spirituality and paganism," whatever that means, either.

Earlier in the article, Robert Halmi is quoted as saying that Earthsea "has people who believe and people who do not believe." I can only admire Mr Halmi's imagination, but I wish he'd left mine alone.

In the books, the wizardry of the Archipelago and the ritualism of the Kargs are opposed and united, like the yang and yin. The rejoining of the broken arm-ring is a symbol of the restoration of an unresting, active balance, offering a risky chance of peace.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "people who believe and people who do not believe." That terrible division into Believers and Unbelievers (itself a matter not of reason but of belief) is one which bedevils Christianity and Islam and drives their wars.

But the wizards of Earthsea would look on such wars as madness, and the dragons of Earthsea would laugh at them and fly away...

Toto, something tells me Earthsea isn't Iraq.

I wonder if the people who made the film of The Lord of the Rings had ended it with Frodo putting on the Ring and ruling happily ever after, and then claimed that that was what Tolkien "intended..." would people think they'd been "very, very honest to the books"?

Ursula K. Le Guin
13 November 2004

So this miniseries is pretty much a result of jumping on the fantasy book turned movie bandwagon. Really don't know what to think here. The most outrageous part was when she said she thought she had no business saying anything about the miniseries. Without her the miniseries would not have ever existed! If anyone in the world is qualified to comment on the movies it's her. I'd almost go so far as to say that she's the ONLY person whose business it is to comment on anything related to the Earthsea trilogy. Being as she's the author and all that insignificant stuff. :/

Jolinarsam
December 10th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I was right. Jennifer Calvert (Ren'al) plays Kossil in the upcoming miniseries.

Alan Scarfe is also in it. He plays the Archmagus.
Alan was in the SG: Atlantis ep "Poisoning the Well" as Chancellor Druhin.

He was also recently in new episodes of Andromeda as Flavin.

I can't wait! :D

Jelmer
December 11th, 2004, 06:12 AM
It looks very promissing, I was amazed by how good the SFX looked for a miniseries - it looked worthy of a movie. Of course I'll have to keep in mind that they'll often put some of the most incredible shots in a trailer.

I don't know the books so I can't comment on them but I have to say that the first thing that hit me when seeing the promotional posters and trailers was that the producers must have taken a very good look at Lord of the Rings. The way the poster looks could almost be a LOTR spin-off. And when you look at the main characters you must notice that both Shawn Ashmore's and Kristen Kreuk's characters look very much like Dominic Monaghan's (Merry) and like Liv Tyler's (Arwen).

But then again I can't be bothered when some parts are essentially "rip-offs" as long as they come up with a new intreguing story. I'm a big fan of two other series of fantasy books ("The Wheel of Time" and "The Sword of Truth") which both have lended large portions of LOTR in the beginning but both managed to come across as very original and very much on their own.

Ancient 1
December 12th, 2004, 02:25 AM
I have seen the commercials for it on Sci-Fi, but I had never heard of it before that. All I know is that it is based off of a series of books.

How were the books, and what is the basic plot?
I read these stories more that 20 years ago, and they were kind of old even then. I remeber that they were quick reads, simply written, but the tales were interesting. I look forward this Monday to see if they closely follow the books, or at least what I can remember of them. After the knees, then the mind goes!

emily_reich
December 12th, 2004, 04:51 PM
ok, according to IMDB, this is the cast list for earthsea... i bolded all the people who've been on stargate or atlantis... so no guess work need be done :D :D

Cast
Shawn Ashmore .... Ged
Kristin Kreuk .... Tenar
Isabella Rossellini .... High Priestess Thar
Danny Glover .... Ogion
Sebastian Roché .... King Tygath
Chris Gauthier .... Vetch
Jennifer Calvert .... Kossil
Mark Hildreth .... Jasper
Alan Scarfe .... Archmagus
Alessandro Juliani .... Skiorch
John Tench .... General Doar
Heather Laura Gray .... Penelope
Erin Karpluk .... Diana
Dave 'Squatch' Ward .... Dunain
Mark Acheson .... Gebbeth
Betty Phillips .... Marion
Katharine Isabelle .... Yarrow (as Katherine Isabelle)
Richard Side .... Doorkeeper
William Samples .... Doctor Hand
Anthony Holland .... Master Namer
Christopher Britton .... Master Summoner
Sonya Salomaa .... Head Priestess
Cedric De Souza .... Kargide Official
Alex Diakun .... Thorvald
Stephen Park .... Shepherd
Stephen Dimopoulos .... Ship's Master
R. Nelson Brown .... Master Herbal
Brad Loree .... Kargide Lieutenant
Frank C. Turner .... Farmer
Stefan Arngrim .... Shire Reeve
Christopher R. Sumpton .... Barman
Tom Heaton .... Fisherman
Paul Jamieson .... Drinker
Curtis Caravaggio .... Kargide Commander
Karen Austin .... Farmer's Wife
Ellie King .... Busty Wench
John DeSantis .... Kargide Soldier #1
Peter Williams .... Kargide Soldier #2
Peter Kent .... Kargide Officer
Michael Roselli .... Kargide Birdhandler
Brad Kelly .... Kargide Guard
Neil Grayston .... Roke Student
Peter Kent .... The Dragon (voice)
Amanda Tapping .... Lady Elfarran

honestly, i don't remember who some of these people even ARE or who they played, but i checked every single actor on this list since it seemed like so many scifi channel folks were making a crossover :D

Dahak
December 12th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Source: www.ursulakleguin.com

So this miniseries is pretty much a result of jumping on the fantasy book turned movie bandwagon. Really don't know what to think here. The most outrageous part was when she said she thought she had no business saying anything about the miniseries. Without her the miniseries would not have ever existed! If anyone in the world is qualified to comment on the movies it's her. I'd almost go so far as to say that she's the ONLY person whose business it is to comment on anything related to the Earthsea trilogy. Being as she's the author and all that insignificant stuff. :/

You do realize that she is getting paid for this and signed a contract don't you? It's not like Sci-Fi channel forced her to do this. She agreed and for whatever reason isn't a part of film process. It could be because she is pretty old and didn't want to deal with this. Or maybe she didn't want to get involved with all the Hollywood B.S. Or maybe the studio didn't want to either pay her enough or wanted to do it their own way. But LeGuinn did sign a contract and it doesn't sound like she feels she got ripped off.

JediTrilobite
December 13th, 2004, 08:39 AM
It's out tonight!

JediTrilobite
December 14th, 2004, 04:14 AM
So, the first part being out, what did people think about it?

Personally, I really had fun with it. While not a direct adaptation of the novels, it was pretty well done IMO. Full review at my blog.

Ancient 1
December 14th, 2004, 05:58 AM
So, the first part being out, what did people think about it?

Personally, I really had fun with it. While not a direct adaptation of the novels, it was pretty well done IMO. Full review at my blog.
Well, I like what I've seen so far. Previews for tonight look even better!

NightGloom
December 14th, 2004, 07:20 AM
I liked it. Am I the only one who though of Animorphs when he shapeshifted?

farstrider
December 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
You do realize that she is getting paid for this and signed a contract don't you? It's not like Sci-Fi channel forced her to do this. She agreed and for whatever reason isn't a part of film process. It could be because she is pretty old and didn't want to deal with this. Or maybe she didn't want to get involved with all the Hollywood B.S. Or maybe the studio didn't want to either pay her enough or wanted to do it their own way. But LeGuinn did sign a contract and it doesn't sound like she feels she got ripped off.

Is she? Source? No offense, but you'll excuse me if I don't take your word for it. Obviously she had to sign some kind of permission for them to do the miniseries because it's a copyrighted work...that doesn't detract from anything I said.

JediTrilobite
December 14th, 2004, 11:02 AM
As someone pointed out in another discussion forum, her letter doesn't say when or what the situation was with signing the rights over. She would have been paid for the rights, and she's probably making money off of this. No one handed SciFi a script with her blessing for nothing.

defina91rvc
December 14th, 2004, 01:13 PM
I liked it. Am I the only one who though of Animorphs when he shapeshifted?

lol, from the animorph series on nickelodeon? i didnt watch the show but the books were awesome. hmm, the enemy was an alien race who crawled into peoples brains and used them as slaves. (where have i heard that before, *cough, cough*) yea, and there was the token alien in the group (hmm, this sounds familiar)

also, i caught the AT cameo, (all 4 words of it)

TechnoWraith
December 14th, 2004, 01:46 PM
I watched the first half last night. I thought it was ok. I'm waiting to see what tonight's installment is going to be like.

Shipperahoy
December 14th, 2004, 02:10 PM
They really weren't kidding when they said that Amanda Tapping only had a brief cameo. Blink and you'll miss her. I'm really surpised that her name even showed up in the opening credits. But from the half second of her that I saw she looked really beautiful. Although, I'm still not certain entirely what happened with that scene. I've never read the books. The Lady Elfarren person wasn't actually evil right? She wasn't one of the Nameless ones? Or was she? Oy, my head hurts.

Gorthaur
December 14th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Is she? Source? No offense, but you'll excuse me if I don't take your word for it. Obviously she had to sign some kind of permission for them to do the miniseries because it's a copyrighted work...that doesn't detract from anything I said.
it is possible she didn't give permission to make a movie. if her publisher owns the writes they can sign for it. I don't know who owns the writes.

I watched it last night and i didn't think it was the good. I read the books about a year ago. I just don't like it when they change thinks as they make a movie out of it. that is the same reson i did't like the lord of the rings all the much(there good if you forget the boks excist)

defina91rvc
December 14th, 2004, 04:25 PM
They really weren't kidding when they said that Amanda Tapping only had a brief cameo. Blink and you'll miss her. I'm really surpised that her name even showed up in the opening credits. But from the half second of her that I saw she looked really beautiful. Although, I'm still not certain entirely what happened with that scene. I've never read the books. The Lady Elfarren person wasn't actually evil right? She wasn't one of the Nameless ones? Or was she? Oy, my head hurts.

yea i was watching the tv from across the room, the only way i recognized her was by her voice.

Also, i think that Lady Elfarren was good, and he just messed up and rose a nameless one instead, 'cause she cried out, "what r u doing?", but im not sure, i didnt read the books.

NightGloom
December 14th, 2004, 04:40 PM

AT's costume was awesome during the split second cameo. I liked how her name was listed before Danny Glover in the credits... :S

No, she's not evil... I thought she actually said more than 4 words in the books, though I could be wrong since I haven't read them since I was 12. I asked for them for Crispmas though. I don't think the show.. movie thing follows the book that well, I could be wrong though.

TechnoWraith
December 14th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Yes... amanda Tapping was in the movie. For an instant. Blink and you will miss her. She appeared when about half-way through when Geb raised that Lady (sorry, forgot her name) from the dead, and she appeared briefly. (Major emphasis on the word briefly).

Athenaktt
December 14th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I haven't seen the miniseries yet...since i dont' have cable :( But I'm reading the books at the moment.

And Lady Elfarren was not evil...she was just a spirit he summoned and along with summoning Lady Elfarren the evil thing came out with her.

In the books she didn't even say a word at all...she just appeared for a second looking "beautiful, and sorrowful, and full of fear" and poof!

But from the clips i've seen Amanda's costume was gorgeous!

ShadowMaat
December 14th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Was Lady Elfarren the one who broke the whatsit in the first place? Or am I mixing up my names again? Not like I paid terribly close attention (although I think I did spot Peter Williams). If she IS, then there's something hinky about Ged being able to summon her spirit... How does the old lady from Ged's town fit into things?

Did anyone else catch the slip the Mother Figure made? She mentioned how her "successors" had done such and such in the past. Shouldn't that have been predecessors? Successors come after...

Elwe Singollo
December 15th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Was Lady Elfarren the one who broke the whatsit in the first place? Or am I mixing up my names again? Not like I paid terribly close attention (although I think I did spot Peter Williams). If she IS, then there's something hinky about Ged being able to summon her spirit... How does the old lady from Ged's town fit into things?
Are you referring to that old lady that Ged was asking for spell (i think asking) to fend off the invaders? If you are, i am wondering the samething. What i don't get is how that powerful magus was [killed], well maybe he was just too slow...

Ancient 1
December 15th, 2004, 12:21 AM
I was beginning to think I was losing my mind...again. I had to come here to find out just where A T appeared in the movie. I watched it twice and still missed her. She really shoud have only been listed as a cameo. Thanks for being so attentive, folks. I new I could count on you.

NightGloom
December 15th, 2004, 05:14 AM
I was beginning to think I was losing my mind...again. I had to come here to find out just where A T appeared in the movie. I watched it twice and still missed her. She really shoud have only been listed as a cameo. Thanks for being so attentive, folks. I new I could count on you.

Easy way to find it: I put my VCR on pause and then you can go through it frame by frame... and it's still hard to find. I couldn't tell it was her until they did the quarter of a second close up.

ShadowMaat
December 15th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Really? I recognised her immediately. Or I was pretty sure. As soon as she spoke, that sealed it. ;)

NightGloom
December 15th, 2004, 05:26 AM
I have a small TV and the blue misty thing kinda through me a little bit.

defina91rvc
December 15th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Are you referring to that old lady that Ged was asking for spell (i think asking) to fend off the invaders? If you are, i am wondering the samething. What i don't get is how that powerful magus was [killed], well maybe he was just too slow...

wait what magus was killed?

the archmagus of roke wasnt killed, he disguised himself as jasper

wait was ogewan (sp?) killed, i thought thats what the gibbith said, wait maybe he was lying, aah my head hurts.

i think they said something about lady elfarron being the last one to have the sealed amulet, or did they say she was the one to break it? idk, but she was one of those "venerable mothers"

Ancient 1
December 15th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I think I was just anticipating a little more from her role than we got, because she was listed so predominantly in the opening credits. I never even thought about her as being the quickly conjured-and-gone spirit of lady Elfaron, so I just wasn't looking for it. Oh, well.....

JakeDeuxPointZero
December 15th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Heh... I must be the only one who remembered the interview. When the annoying student guy (forgot the name) said something like "can you raise... LADY ELFARREN?", I was like "yes, Amanda Tapping time!" I was ready for it, so when she came, I knew it was coming. It was fun.

As for the miniseries, good stuff. For people who may say "it was cheesy" or "it's an LOTR ripoff, jumping on the bandwagon" and all that stuff criticizing it, I say who cares? As long as it's cool and has an enjoyable storyline, I don't care... I really liked it.

Asgard Buddy
December 15th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I thought the whole thing was pretty good. Although I was surprised how short it was. Granted 4 hours (incuding commercials) is longer than most movies, I was expecting it to be a little longer since they'd been calling it a "miniseries".

I really want to read the book(s?) now because I imagine it can only get better.

TechnoWraith
December 15th, 2004, 04:54 PM
I thought Earthsea was pretty good. Unfortunately, I missed the last half-hour last night cuz I fell asleep! But not to worry. I had the VCR set to record it so I can see what I missed later.

Elwe Singollo
December 15th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I thought the whole thing was pretty good. Although I was surprised how short it was. Granted 4 hours (incuding commercials) is longer than most movies, I was expecting it to be a little longer since they'd been calling it a "miniseries".

I really want to read the book(s?) now because I imagine it can only get better.Yah, i hoped it would be longer, its not even 4 hours, more like 3 hours, oh well, i thought it was still good. :) Wish the ending was a bit longer, i wanted to see what some of the side-characters were upto, although they seemed irrelavent to the story...

ShadowMaat
December 15th, 2004, 04:57 PM
I have the feeling there were vast gulfs of vital information left out of the miniseries. The same thing happened with Wrinkle in Time. Nice miniseries, but the books were so much more meaningful. Will have to check out the Earthsea books, now. So at least these "cheap imitations" are good for something. :D

Also, maybe in the books I'll understand the whole Elfarren thing and how the old woman with the amulet fits into things. Maybe she was the handmaiden who ran away with Elfarren and was made Keeper of the Amulet when Elfarren perished at sea or something...

Athenaktt
December 15th, 2004, 05:50 PM

I really want to read the book(s?) now because I imagine it can only get better.
I'm still awaiting to see the series, but I guarantee you the books are much much much better. Then again i'm biased...i love any book written by Ursula K. LeGuin.

From what i'm hearing the miniseries isn't that faithful to the book. That may explain some of harsh criticisms as well.

dec55
December 15th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Well there is good news to those who enjoyed Eathsea the mini series.

I enjoyed it,and Kristin really made me love it even more......

It was a ratings success!!!

Congrats Cast and Crew....and Kristin and Amanda!!!!

'Earthsea' Washes Up Strong Ratings for Sci Fi
(Wednesday, December 15 04:56 PM)
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) December has once again proven to be the magic month for the Sci Fi Channel's big-ticket miniseries.

The cable network's latest offering, "Legend of Earthsea," drew an average of 3.68 million viewers over its two nights, continuing a string of successful end-of-the-year offerings that also includes the Emmy-winning "Taken" and "Battlestar Galactica."

Based on two books by Ursula K. Le Guin, "Legend of Earthsea" tells the story of a young wizard (Shawn Ashmore, "X2") who embarks on a quest to save the land of Earthsea from tyranny. Danny Glover, Isabella Rossellini and Kristin Kreuk ("Smallville") also star.

The four-hour miniseries debuted Monday (Dec. 13) to an audience of about 3.44 million people, second on all of cable for the night (behind Spike TV's "WWE Raw"). The conclusion on Tuesday improved to just over 3.9 million viewers, and its household rating of 3.4 was the best for any Sci Fi program this year (the premiere of "Stargate: Atlantis" had 4.2 million viewers but only a 3.2 rating).

Its success also breaks a recent string of Sci Fi minis that have failed to live up to the likes of "Taken," which drew more than 5 million people, and "Battlestar Galactica," which brought in more than 4 million and is scheduled to become a weekly series in January. The five-hour "Five Days to Midnight" averaged only 1.7 million viewers in June. October's "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" also failed to crack the 2 million-viewer mark.

Ancient 1
December 15th, 2004, 11:31 PM
I'm still awaiting to see the series, but I guarantee you the books are much much much better. Then again i'm biased...i love any book written by Ursula K. LeGuin.

From what i'm hearing the miniseries isn't that faithful to the book. That may explain some of harsh criticisms as well.
As I said before, It's been 20 years since I read those books, but from what I can recall a lot was crunched together for whatever reason. If TPTB wanted to do a more "author friendly" telling it could have easily gone at least one more night. There are many more nuances in the books that help explain some of the parts that were seemingly glossed over...probably due to budget constraints. I won't go into some of the obvious ones because I woud instead encourage you all to read the books for yourseleves.

Asgard Buddy
December 16th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I thought Earthsea was pretty good. Unfortunately, I missed the last half-hour last night cuz I fell asleep! But not to worry. I had the VCR set to record it so I can see what I missed later.
Not to worry indeed! SciFi is showing it a couple more times so you'll be able to see it if your VCR had issues :p

(EST)
Thursday, Dec. 16, 2004 - 7:00 PM LEGEND OF EARTHSEA - PART 2
Sunday, Dec. 19, 2004 - 7:00 PM LEGEND OF EARTHSEA - PART 1 and PART 2

Despite the hype and my excitement for the series I actually forgot to watch it on Monday. Then I was watching TV on Tuesday and it said the second half was going to be shown... but it was going to be right after an encore of the first half. So it was my lucky day :)

jckfan55
December 16th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I had no trouble spotting AT, but I must have missed who this Lady Elfarren was and why the students thought it would be so cool to raise her from the dead. She was obviously displeased at being raised. A big no-no. :)
They did explain a bit toward the end, but the whole amulet thing was a bit undeveloped. I got the impression they were compressing a bunch of books and backstories into the 4 hours. To me it was an ok film.

JakeDeuxPointZero
December 16th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Hmm... so this is based on two books out of three? Does that mean there's a chance of a sequel?

Anyways, I'm glad this was good, and I hope they do well with Red Mars, too, as that is a book I've read part of... and I may finish eventually...

Jolinarsam
December 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Also, maybe in the books I'll understand the whole Elfarren thing and how the old woman with the amulet fits into things. Maybe she was the handmaiden who ran away with Elfarren and was made Keeper of the Amulet when Elfarren perished at sea or something...

From what I can tell Lady Elfarren was the one who made the Amulet of Peace. They explained near the end that the old woman who gave Ged the amulet was the priestess who had turned against the sisterhood in the past and released the Nameless Ones the first time. She afterwards regretted doing this and everyone thought she died in the sea storm.

ShadowMaat
December 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM
OK, so Elfarren MADE the amulet and Wossname broke it? Or something? So they aren't meant to be the same woman, then. I wasn't entirely clear on that...

Jolinarsam
December 16th, 2004, 07:24 PM
OK, so Elfarren MADE the amulet and Wossname broke it? Or something? So they aren't meant to be the same woman, then. I wasn't entirely clear on that...

No, definately not the same woman. Elfarren was dead. The old lady was obviously still alive and living in Ged's village. ;) But yeah, Elfarren didn't break the amulet.

ShadowMaat
December 16th, 2004, 07:28 PM
No, definately not the same woman. Elfarren was dead. The old lady was obviously still alive and living in Ged's village. ;)
I know, which is why I was so confused. ;) Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Jolinarsam
December 16th, 2004, 07:33 PM
No problem. I just have to say though every time I saw Kossil (Ren'al) I kept wanting to go "Bad, bad Tok'ra!" :)

It was nice to see that actress in a bigger part though. Never saw more than a few minutes of her at a time as Ren'al on Stargate.

jckfan55
December 17th, 2004, 03:48 PM
No problem. I just have to say though every time I saw Kossil (Ren'al) I kept wanting to go "Bad, bad Tok'ra!" :)

It was nice to see that actress in a bigger part though. Never saw more than a few minutes of her at a time as Ren'al on Stargate.

So that's why she seemed so familiar. Wasn't one of the editors or something someone who's worked on Stargate? Do you think he helped put her's and AT's names out there for the producers?

Gorthaur
December 18th, 2004, 07:59 AM

as far as I remember the old lady had nothing to do with the amulet, I could be wrong, but I do know that he didn't get the one half from her in the book. I think the book said that she was geds aunt. I think the people that made the miniseris forgot to read the books so they read cliff notes or somthing becuase they were completly different(mostly the second half). they even got geds name messed up.

Hmm... so this is based on two books out of three? Does that mean there's a chance of a sequel?

Anyways, I'm glad this was good, and I hope they do well with Red Mars, too, as that is a book I've read part of... and I may finish eventually...
there are 5 books i belive
1. a wizard of earthsea
2. tombs of atuan
3. the fartest shore
4. tehanu
5. the otherwind

Lugal
December 18th, 2004, 08:17 AM
More from Ursula K LeGuin about the miniseries here (http://slate.msn.com/id/2111107/fr/rss)

When I sold the rights to Earthsea a few years ago, my contract gave me the standard status of "consultant"—which means whatever the producers want it to mean, almost always little or nothing. My agency could not improve this clause. But the purchasers talked as though they genuinely meant to respect the books and to ask for my input when planning the film. They said they had already secured Philippa Boyens (who co-wrote the scripts for The Lord of the Rings) as principal script writer. The script was, to me, all-important, so Boyens' presence was the key factor in my decision to sell this group the option to the film rights.

Months went by. By the time the producers got backing from the Sci Fi Channel for a miniseries—and another producer, Robert Halmi Sr., had come aboard—they had lost Boyens. That was a blow. But I had just seen Halmi's miniseries DreamKeeper, which had a stunning Native American cast, and I hoped that Halmi might include some of those great actors in Earthsea.

Elwe Singollo
December 18th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Well i can't really blame the people who messed up her creation, well maybe just a little, but i enjoyed it still... Haha, i thought Lotr did a pretty good job, same with Harry Potter, even with the minor (ok maybe some major) parts cut out, but i still think they were good.

TechnoWraith
December 19th, 2004, 08:24 AM
For those of you who catch this post in time (in the US mostly) the SciFi channel is airing Earthsea (both parts) starting at 7PM tonight. so if you missed it last week, here's your chance to see it again. :)

farstrider
December 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
http://slate.msn.com/id/2111107/

Ouch.

Darren
December 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM
The author's biggest complaint (at least the one she's spent the most time writing about) is that they cast a lot of white actors, rather than making it the multi-colored fantasy world she wrote of (read: just about everyone but the evil soldier hordes aren't white).

Certainly a significant issue for a film adaptation, but if that's her biggest complaint, the movie can't be all bad. If they actually screwed up the story and its themes and message, I'd be more interested in hearing about that. Otherwise ... meh.

JediTrilobite
December 21st, 2004, 09:12 AM
The first story is adapted better. The second is barely touched. They should have done 6 hours.

Elwe Singollo
December 21st, 2004, 11:03 PM
The first story is adapted better. The second is barely touched. They should have done 6 hours.Yah, i agree, 4 hours imo doesn't cut it (it wasn't even a full 4 hours anyway). Although i haven't read the books, i did read alot about how they changed things, and changed other things, and blah. Question though, what was the second part supposed to be like since it was 'barely touched'?

Gorthaur
December 23rd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Yah, i agree, 4 hours imo doesn't cut it (it wasn't even a full 4 hours anyway). Although i haven't read the books, i did read alot about how they changed things, and changed other things, and blah. Question though, what was the second part supposed to be like since it was 'barely touched'?
think of what it wasn't luike in the miniseris and your porobably close to the original

aussie_gal
January 21st, 2005, 07:40 PM
Ive finally seen a preview of it for australia on channel seven i dont know the exact date buts its definaly going to be shown