Clear All

Questions about the Bori

I have a question about the Bori.

Way, way back a many episode ago Daniel had this device that he
    tampered with that sent him and Vala to the Ori home galaxy. It
    looked like they had traveled only in their minds, or spirits to that
    planet courtesy of that device and that's how the Ori found out
    about us I thnk.....

But my question, well actually several is this.

Was that device left on other worlds, like some kind of trap for the naive
    who turn it on then get knocked unconscious to travel to the Ori galaxy
    via mental projection? That's how I saw it.. Like some kind of booby trap
    thing.

When they first started they were in a galaxy far, far away from us
    so how is it in a very short space of time the Ori could build a huge
    fleet of spaceships? I mean they didn't just appear out of a puff of smoke
    did they? Someone had to have built them?

It intrigues me that they had advanced so fast from harrasing planets
    of villagers to becoming a bunch of space faring religious nazis.
    Last edited by Coco Pops; 08 November 2007, 03:53 PM.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
    Was that device left on other worlds, like some kind of trap for the naive
    who turn it on then get knocked unconscious to travel to the Ori galaxy
    via mental projection? That's how I saw it.. Like some kind of booby trap
    thing.
    Possible explanations:
    *Some Altera were killed before they could evacuvate and the device was left behind.
    *Merlin might have sent an expedition to the Ori galaxy to do some recon work back when he was helping Arthur.
    *Possible diplomatic meetings made between the Ori and the Altera back when things were simple.

No confirmation and this is purely speculation.

When they first started they were in a galaxy far, far away from us
    so how is it in a very short space of time the Ori could build a huge
    fleet of spaceships? I mean they didn't just appear out of a puff of smoke
    did they? Someone had to have built them?

It intrigues me that they had advanced so fast from harrasing planets
    of villagers to becoming a bunch of space faring religious nazis.
    Could be hidden advanced machines that did much of the work and just required the labour from the villagers. Remember that those were Priors there and they recieved their instructions from the Ori themselves so such a thing would not have been very difficult. Especially when a Prior is around either using his natural abilities or advanced construction techniques such as nanites pehaps. No confirmation on the show but things to consider.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
      Possible explanations:
      *Some Altera were killed before they could evacuvate and the device was left behind.
      *Merlin might have sent an expedition to the Ori galaxy to do some recon work back when he was helping Arthur.
      *Possible diplomatic meetings made between the Ori and the Altera back when things were simple.

No confirmation and this is purely speculation.

Ah, cool thanks for that. "When things were simple" you say.

What do you mean by that?
      Do you think there was a time when the Priors and Ori were a bit
      more ameable and friendly to negotiation?

I wonder what changed?

Could be hidden advanced machines that did much of the work and just required the labour from the villagers. Remember that those were Priors there and they recieved their instructions from the Ori themselves so such a thing would not have been very difficult. Especially when a Prior is around either using his natural abilities or advanced construction techniques such as nanites pehaps. No confirmation on the show but things to consider.

Ah...... I wonder if we'll find out..... Hoes s10 end with the Ori?
      Is "ark of truth" the proposed movie?

Comment

Ah, cool thanks for that. "When things were simple" you say.

What do you mean by that?
        Do you think there was a time when the Priors and Ori were a bit
        more ameable and friendly to negotiation?

I wonder what changed?
        Its been revealed in season 10 that the Ori, at one time, had good honourable intentions but somehow got corrupted in time. So its entirely possible.

Ah...... I wonder if we'll find out..... Hoes s10 end with the Ori?
        Is "ark of truth" the proposed movie?
        The Ark of Truth, the first SG movie coming out early next year, is said to feature the end of the Ori storyline. Whether that means we will see new Ori gadgets, technology or more of their society is not really clear. If the how lasted another season or two we might have seen more but hopefully we might see some cool stuff like ship construction in the coming movie.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Its been revealed in season 10 that the Ori, at one time, had good honourable intentions but somehow got corrupted in time. So its entirely possible.
          The power they received from their followers' worship is most likely what eventually corrupted the Ori. IMO, that's why the Ancients fear interfering in the lower planes so much. They don't want to face such temptation.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I may have asked this before but not sure.....

Does Adria actually have any free will?

I think they asked her in one episode about giving people a choice and
            she waffled some line "what would you have me do" surely if she's the
            leader, and above the Priors she could dictate how they do things.......

Or would the Ori punish her if she acted out of compassion

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              The power they received from their followers' worship is most likely what eventually corrupted the Ori. IMO, that's why the Ancients fear interfering in the lower planes so much. They don't want to face such temptation.
              Sounds like the most likely explanation. Makes one wonder though if they originally did ascend their followers or not but after learning that they would have to share that power they decided to stop?

I may have asked this before but not sure.....

Does Adria actually have any free will?

I think they asked her in one episode about giving people a choice and
              she waffled some line "what would you have me do" surely if she's the
              leader, and above the Priors she could dictate how they do things.......

Or would the Ori punish her if she acted out of compassion
              Thats not entirely clear at the moment. We know that she was grown and genetically engineered to be an Ori in Human form. I think Vala said something along the lines that she isnt a deluded follower like the Priors but is well aware of the situation with the Ori. So whether she is 'programmed to obey' or is collaborating with them... well I can't say. However, currently, I don't think she would restricted to her original designs.

The reason I say this is because:
              Spoiler:
              The Ori I think have been killed by the Sangraal leaving only Adria in command who has ascended in order to escape death. So, considering her connection to Vala and lack of true Ori influence, its possible she could be redeemed and return the Ori to a more benevolent state by ascending new followers and stuff.

Thats what I hope will happen in Ark of Truth. I just can't picture such an advanced and ancient race to die off easily... I prefer the B5 First Ones approach of them leaving or getting redeemed in some manner.

Comment

Absolute power corrupts Absolutely.

Adria wasn't really programmed to take orders from the Ori imo. Just think of it this way, you're raised day and night to believe in something, something that was put into your mind before you were born. It was basically like that for Adria, even though she aged really quickly she was a child at one point who had this stuff drilled into her brain. Even so her freewill wasn't taken away, you could see at times she even doubted her own believes, I think Vala was the major factor in that but the fact she had doubts alone proves she had free will.

Comment

Sounds like the most likely explanation. Makes one wonder though if they originally did ascend their followers or not but after learning that they would have to share that power they decided to stop?
                  I wouldn't be surprised at all if we found out that the Ori did originally ascend their followers. Once their lust for power grew strong enough though, is probably when they stopped doing that. Sharing was dropped from the equation.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

If the Ancients don't interfere then they don't face the temptation, reminds me of Shifu from 4:17 Absolute Power:

SHIFU: Oma teaches the true nature of a man is decided in the battle between his conscious mind and the desires of the subconscious. Oma teaches the evil in my subconscious is too strong to resist and the only way to win is to deny the battle.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we found out that the Ori did originally ascend their followers. Once their lust for power grew strong enough though, is probably when they stopped doing that. Sharing was dropped from the equation.
                      perhaps that's how AoT will end, after a lot of blood shed Adria will realise what Origin was originally meant to be and try to restore it, I could see that happening instead the current idea
                      Spoiler:
                      brainwashing everyone
                      which is morally wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                        perhaps that's how AoT will end, after a lot of blood shed Adria will realise what Origin was originally meant to be and try to restore it, I could see that happening instead the current idea
                        Spoiler:
                        brainwashing everyone
                        which is morally wrong.
                        True, but so is slaughtering innocent people just because they don't believe what you do. I think it all comes down to the lesser of two evils.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

True, but so is slaughtering innocent people just because they don't believe what you do. I think it all comes down to the lesser of two evils.
                          But doing something like brainwashing would make them just as bad as the Ori, which they'd neverwant.

Comment

True. Mass brainwashing is as bad imo as slaughtering them..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              True. Mass brainwashing is as bad imo as slaughtering them..
                              IMO if SG-1 do use it, it is basically the same the Ori telling their followers what to do, brainwashing them is basically just telling them what to do aswell except more forceful, taking away their free will, that's why the ancients didn't use it on the Ori to begin with imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X