Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Imperial System - It's truly universal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Imperial System - It's truly universal!

The Imperial System is the American (and British, so I can only assume it started in Britain) system of measurement (inches/feet/yards/pounds (though in Britain, it's stones)).

In 4x03 "Reunion", one of the Satedan guys claim that the legends tell of a 7 feet Satedan. So obviously the Pegasus Galaxy knows the Imperial System.

Which means that aliens created it! Probably the Ancients! The Ancients created the Imperial System! All should convert to it!
    Last edited by FallenAngelII; 13 October 2007, 10:18 AM.

Yes and those darned Wraith tried to inflict the metric system on us.

Comment

Ya gotta love that the writers just said 'To hell with it, everyone speaks english, uses stardard weights and measures, etc in the Stargate Universe'

Comment

Unfortunatly for you (and fortunatly for me), the metric system is the international one. And I expect Carter, McKay and Zelenka to use it.( Since they are scientists.)

Comment

The metric system is not of God.

Lol, j/k. I'm making fun of Missouri.

Why was I born in MISSOURI!?!?!?

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

LOL, it funny that we Americans just won't take to the metric system! They had a big push back in the late 70s, we resisted it like it was a plague, even though we know it's better.

Comment

Holy Cow! What a amazing waste of a thread!

And they speak English too! And they all have pineapples as well! And everyone calls the Stargate a "gate" instead of a chappia eye. And the woman wear dresses and men wear pants. And they all drink from cups.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalierlwt View Post
                Ya gotta love that the writers just said 'To hell with it, everyone speaks english, uses stardard weights and measures, etc in the Stargate Universe'
                Imperial measurements are not standard. Metric units are the SI standards.

Comment

LOL, it funny that we Americans just won't take to the metric system! They had a big push back in the late 70s, we resisted it like it was a plague, even though we know it's better.
                  I have friends in the US who work in the medical system, and they have to re-learn everything metric. It's so ridiculous.

I think even the British use the metric system to a certain extent. The Americans are on their own with this one!

I did have one American say to me when I said it gets to the 40s in Australia in summer "But what's that in degrees?" Um, that is degrees. The degrees the rest of the world uses!

Comment

It's the weirdest thing, it really is. It actually costs us tons of money when we export stuff because everything has to be repackaged for metric. What they really need to do is just give up trying to convince the whole population, and just use the metric system exclusively in schools, right from grade one. If they had done that since the 1970's everyone in their 40s and under would be with the program.

Comment

It's the weirdest thing, it really is. It actually costs us tons of money when we export stuff because everything has to be repackaged for metric. What they really need to do is just give up trying to convince the whole population, and just use the metric system exclusively in schools, right from grade one. If they had done that since the 1970's everyone in their 40s and under would be with the program.
                      Not to mention that the Imperial System doesn't even make much sense.

In the Metric System, everything is divisible by 10 (almost everything).

With the Stupid, I mean Imperial System, it's:
                      12 Inches to a Foot
                      3 Feet to a Yard
                      220 Yards to a Furlong
                      8 Furlongs to a Mile (1760 yards)
                      3 Miles to a League (5280 yards)

I mean, come on!

Comment

Plus, it's difficult to convert Imperial to Metric.

Apparently, the metric systel is used in the USAF ships:
                        In the episode Prometheus, Jonas was counting down altitude in meters.
                        (100 meters, 50 meters ...).

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post

12 Inches to a Foot
                          3 Feet to a Yard
                          220 Yards to a Furlong

I mean, come on!
                          1 inch = 2.5 cm
                          a Yard = 90 cm
                          1 mile = 1.6 Km
                          1 pound = 0.45 Kg

I'm Canadian, I grew up knowing both systems
                          Last edited by Mandysg1; 14 October 2007, 01:29 PM.
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it." --Abraham "Grampa" Simpson
                            (From 'The Simpsons')

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post

12 Inches to a Foot
                              3 Feet to a Yard
                              220 Yards to a Furlong

I mean, come on!
                              Your imperialphobia is noted. We're not going to stop and use the metric system because the imperial system is just the way we are.
                              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X