PDA

View Full Version : The Imperial System - It's truly universal!

FallenAngelII
October 13th, 2007, 09:58 AM
The Imperial System is the American (and British, so I can only assume it started in Britain) system of measurement (inches/feet/yards/pounds (though in Britain, it's stones)).

In 4x03 "Reunion", one of the Satedan guys claim that the legends tell of a 7 feet Satedan. So obviously the Pegasus Galaxy knows the Imperial System.

Which means that aliens created it! Probably the Ancients! The Ancients created the Imperial System! All should convert to it!

somme
October 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Yes and those darned Wraith tried to inflict the metric system on us.

cavalierlwt
October 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Ya gotta love that the writers just said 'To hell with it, everyone speaks english, uses stardard weights and measures, etc in the Stargate Universe'

Poubelle Man
October 13th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Unfortunatly for you (and fortunatly for me), the metric system is the international one. And I expect Carter, McKay and Zelenka to use it.( Since they are scientists.)

Ganthet Jr.
October 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM
The metric system is not of God.

Lol, j/k. I'm making fun of Missouri. :(

Why was I born in MISSOURI!?!?!?

cavalierlwt
October 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM
LOL, it funny that we Americans just won't take to the metric system! They had a big push back in the late 70s, we resisted it like it was a plague, even though we know it's better.

Jackie
October 13th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Holy Cow! What a amazing waste of a thread!

And they speak English too! And they all have pineapples as well! And everyone calls the Stargate a "gate" instead of a chappia eye. And the woman wear dresses and men wear pants. And they all drink from cups.

Agent_Dark
October 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Ya gotta love that the writers just said 'To hell with it, everyone speaks english, uses stardard weights and measures, etc in the Stargate Universe'

Imperial measurements are not standard. Metric units are the SI standards.

alyssa
October 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM
LOL, it funny that we Americans just won't take to the metric system! They had a big push back in the late 70s, we resisted it like it was a plague, even though we know it's better.

I have friends in the US who work in the medical system, and they have to re-learn everything metric. It's so ridiculous.

I think even the British use the metric system to a certain extent. The Americans are on their own with this one!

I did have one American say to me when I said it gets to the 40s in Australia in summer "But what's that in degrees?" Um, that is degrees. The degrees the rest of the world uses!

cavalierlwt
October 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
It's the weirdest thing, it really is. It actually costs us tons of money when we export stuff because everything has to be repackaged for metric. What they really need to do is just give up trying to convince the whole population, and just use the metric system exclusively in schools, right from grade one. If they had done that since the 1970's everyone in their 40s and under would be with the program.

FallenAngelII
October 14th, 2007, 11:29 AM
It's the weirdest thing, it really is. It actually costs us tons of money when we export stuff because everything has to be repackaged for metric. What they really need to do is just give up trying to convince the whole population, and just use the metric system exclusively in schools, right from grade one. If they had done that since the 1970's everyone in their 40s and under would be with the program.
Not to mention that the Imperial System doesn't even make much sense.

In the Metric System, everything is divisible by 10 (almost everything).

With the Stupid, I mean Imperial System, it's:
12 Inches to a Foot
3 Feet to a Yard
220 Yards to a Furlong
8 Furlongs to a Mile (1760 yards)
3 Miles to a League (5280 yards)

I mean, come on!

Poubelle Man
October 14th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Plus, it's difficult to convert Imperial to Metric.

Apparently, the metric systel is used in the USAF ships:
In the episode Prometheus, Jonas was counting down altitude in meters.
(100 meters, 50 meters ...).

Mandysg1
October 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM

12 Inches to a Foot
3 Feet to a Yard
220 Yards to a Furlong

I mean, come on!

1 inch = 2.5 cm
a Yard = 90 cm
1 mile = 1.6 Km
1 pound = 0.45 Kg

I'm Canadian, I grew up knowing both systems ;)

cavalierlwt
October 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it." --Abraham "Grampa" Simpson
(From 'The Simpsons')

rarocks24
October 14th, 2007, 03:09 PM

12 Inches to a Foot
3 Feet to a Yard
220 Yards to a Furlong

I mean, come on!

Your imperialphobia is noted. We're not going to stop and use the metric system because the imperial system is just the way we are.

immhotep
October 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM
But the americans are suposedly not making an empire, ironicly empirisists use the metric while the Imperial is used by the Non Impiricists. The Imperial system was taken al over the world by the british empire, its irony, why did i just post this?!

Mandysg1
October 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
But the americans are suposedly not making an empire, ironicly empirisists use the metric while the Imperial is used by the Non Impiricists. The Imperial system was taken al over the world by the british empire, its irony, why did i just post this?!

I don't know ;)...but the real question is; why is this thread here :beckettanime14:

immhotep
October 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Im so confused ;p Damn Cold!

rarocks24
October 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
As for feet, well, humans have feet, so it's not as if they couldn't put two and two together and determine that the approx distance is the length of seven of their feet.

Mandysg1
October 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM
As for feet, well, humans have feet, so it's not as if they couldn't put two and two together and determine that the approx distance is the length of seven of their feet.

I didn't see it as a big deal that they used 7 feet in that episode, most people knew the meaning was Ronan was very tall ;)

Oka
October 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM
We do not use (or have ever used) the Imperial system we use U.S. customary units.

It's an American show, the people in it use the American system of measurement. Whopeedoo. If he would've said 2.2 meters (or whatever 7 feet is), you wouldn't have complained.

Your post is just another failed attempt at making fun of America.

cavalierlwt
October 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM
C'mon now, this thread is meant to be a fun thread, nothing more. The OP was just having fun with TPTB's decision not to have aliens speak foreign language, use a totally different set of phrases, weights, measures, ala 'Farscape' for instance, it just kinda drifted from there.
Just have fun and roll with it folks.

mrtwidlywinks
October 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Holy Cow! What a amazing waste of a thread!

And they speak English too! And they all have pineapples as well! And everyone calls the Stargate a "gate" instead of a chappia eye. And the woman wear dresses and men wear pants. And they all drink from cups.

and the men wear suits with ties. jonas's people use the imperial system also

Phenix
October 15th, 2007, 02:30 PM
C'mon now, this thread is meant to be a fun thread, nothing more. The OP was just having fun with TPTB's decision not to have aliens speak foreign language, use a totally different set of phrases, weights, measures, ala 'Farscape' for instance, it just kinda drifted from there.
Just have fun and roll with it folks.

Ah Farscape. Great show!

SoulReaver
October 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM
We're not going to stop and use the metric system because the imperial system is just the way we are.btw why not revert back to the Roman numeral system ? basic operations such as adding & multiplying are far more complex with this system, surely it would be a much more logical choice for yall than the decimal system wouldn't it ?

Mandysg1
October 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM
btw why not revert back to the Roman numeral system ? basic operations such as adding & multiplying are far more complex with this system, surely it would be a much more logical choice for yall than the decimal system wouldn't it ?

:beckettanime14:

SoulReaver
October 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
:beckettanime14:http://forum-images.hardware.fr/images/perso/kritikal%20kombat.gif

rarocks24
October 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM
btw why not revert back to the Roman numeral system ? basic operations such as adding & multiplying are far more complex with this system, surely it would be a much more logical choice for yall than the decimal system wouldn't it ?

Um, no thank you. But you're welcome to. ;)

Actionhank
October 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
There are three countries in the world that don't use the metric system:
Birma (Myanmar), Liberia and the USA. I think you have great company :D

But go ahead and keep on wrecking $125 million dollar mars orbiters using your beloved measurement system. :jack_new_anime07:

rarocks24
October 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM
The U.S. system of units is similar to the Imperial system which was used officially in the United Kingdom until 1995 (and which still has official usage there for a few purposes, and unofficial usage for many others). Both systems derive from the evolution of local units over the centuries, as a result of standardization efforts in England; the local units themselves mostly trace back to Roman and Anglo-Saxon units. Today, these units are defined in terms of SI units.
In the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988, the United States government designated the metric system of measurement as "the preferred system of weights and measures for U.S. trade and commerce". The legislation states that the Federal Government has a responsibility to assist industry, especially small business, as it voluntarily converts to the metric system of measurement. This process of legislation and conversion is known as metrication, and in the U.S. is most evident in labeling requirements on food products, where SI units are almost always presented alongside customary units.
However, metrication in the United States has been less forcefully imposed than in other countries,[2] and has encountered more resistance from industrial and consumer market forces, so customary units are still widely used on consumer products and in industrial manufacturing; only in military, medical, and scientific contexts are SI units generally the norm. (Mars Climate Orbiter crashed on Mars because one team used newtons and the other used pounds-force.) Since everyday weights and measures are mostly non-SI, children in U.S. public schools are generally taught customary units before SI, although many schools are now attempting to teach SI units at an earlier age.
There are anecdotal objections to the use of metric units in carpentry and the building trades, on the basis that it is easier to remember an integer number of inches plus a fraction than a measurement in millimeters[3] , or that inch measurements are more suitable when distances are frequently divided by two.[2]
Other countries had (or still have, unofficially), customary units of their own, sometimes very similar in name and measure to the U.S. customary units, since they often shared the same Germanic or Roman origins. Frequently, however, these units designated quite different sizes. For example, in different countries, the mile ranged from one half to five US miles, and even foot and pound had varying definitions. Even within the USA, at least through the 19th century, the customary units of measure were sometimes just as variable. Eventually, most countries, including the United States, redefined their customary units in terms of SI units like kilogram and meter. Often, though, unlike English units, they were rounded to "nice" SI values, leading to their use in colloquial speech, alongside SI terms, into the present day.
Historically, a wide range of non-SI units have been used in the United States, and on the British Isles before that, but many of these have fallen into disuse. This article only deals with the units commonly used or officially defined in the United States.

As for the Mars Orbiter, for someone to use Newtons is so obsurd it's just hilarious. :P

SoulReaver
October 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM
There are three countries in the world that don't use the metric system:
Birma (Myanmar), Liberia and the USA. I think you have great company :Dhttp://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/ouch.gif a new axis of evil ! the americans are non-aligned™ !!! http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/mad.gif

Actionhank
October 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM
http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/ouch.gif a new axis of evil ! the americans are non-aligned™ !!! http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/mad.gif
Either you're with us or you're with the bad measurenists ;)

You have spent your time ignorant to the truth, stumbling aimlessly through the darkness cast upon your world by the trappings of the past.
But now, the path to fulfillment stands revealed, and the time has come to embrace a new faith.
Let the light of the metric system show you the way!
:prioranime01:

SoulReaver
October 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Either you're with us or you're with the bad measurenists ;)yes ! and if you're not with us, then we will have to take all necessary measures ! http://img.presence-pc.com/forum/images/perso/gneu.gif

Mitchell82
October 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I didn't see it as a big deal that they used 7 feet in that episode, most people knew the meaning was Ronan was very tall ;)

Same here this thread is confusing.

DocumentN
October 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Ah Farscape. Great show!
Assertion: It was great in *spite* of its habit of randomly replacing ordinary words with silly cutesy made-up ones for no adequate reason.

Mister Oragahn
October 19th, 2007, 07:27 AM
If you could only start to use dates like everybody else: year, month, day, hour, minute, second.

freyr's mother
October 19th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I personally prefer the metric system. I hate our American system or whatever its called. The conversions suck.

jds1982
October 28th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I personally prefer the metric system. I hate our American system or whatever its called. The conversions suck.

Oh come on, where's the fun in easily converting things?

SoulReaver
October 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I hate our American system or whatever its called. The conversions suck.yeah but it's patriotic

idlewild202
October 28th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Haha... see, I'm a horse person, and it's funny... I use both systems, to a degree.
Like, if you were to tell me the dimensions of a riding area in FEET I wouldn't have a single clue what you were talking about... now, mention it to me in METERS and I'd know exactly how big of an area you mean.

But then, tell me the height of a jump in feet/inches and I'll totaly understand... tell it to me in meters and I'll be back to square one. lol.

I dunno... I think it's outright unfair to the masses having two systems of measurement in the world...

And for that matter, in the entire universe ;)

SoulReaver
October 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Like, if you were to tell me the dimensions of a riding area in FEET I wouldn't have a single clue what you were talking about... now, mention it to me in METERS and I'd know exactly how big of an area you mean.

But then, tell me the height of a jump in feet/inches and I'll totaly understand... tell it to me in meters and I'll be back to square one. lol.http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/skylight.gif

then how would you measure the length of a jump ? http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/9/fairlight.gif

idlewild202
October 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/skylight.gif

then how would you measure the length of a jump ? http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/9/fairlight.gif
lol, same as height. I know, it totaly doesn't make sense... we set our distances between jumps in feet too, but always in an arena measured by meters :rolleyes:

SoulReaver
October 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM
lol, same as height. I know, it totaly doesn't make sense... we set our distances between jumps in feet too, but always in an arena measured by meters :rolleyes:k

now suppose a (really good) horse jumped the full length of the arena -
how would you then measure the jump ? http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/djoce.gif

idlewild202
October 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM
k

now suppose a (really good) horse jumped the full length of the arena -
how would you then measure the jump ? http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/djoce.gif
In $$... send me the horse that can do that and I'll pay your way to the moon :D

hehe... we are taking this waaaay OT. lol

SoulReaver
October 28th, 2007, 02:34 PM
hehe... we are taking this waaaay OT. lolyou're right...how far in meters did we go off topic ? http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/ange.gif

FallenAngelII
October 31st, 2007, 05:05 AM
Because they're aliens... from another galaxy. They'd use quatlootz or whatever, not feet.

It's an American show, the people in it use the American system of measurement. Whopeedoo. If he would've said 2.2 meters (or whatever 7 feet is), you wouldn't have complained.
It's supposedly a sci-fi show taking place in a galaxy far, far away.

You stand corrected, sir. Two years ago, I inquired on why Jack, a member of the USAF and while flying an USAF-plane, was using the metric system. And I would've noted it if they used the metric system as well. It's not realistic.

The Roman numeral system is in no way any different from the Metric System (numerically, I can't speak for weights and measurements). Everything was divisible by 10 (or 5) there.

SoulReaver
October 31st, 2007, 08:46 AM
The Roman numeral system is in no way any different from the Metric System (numerically, I can't speak for weights and measurements). Everything was divisible by 10 (or 5) there.uh yeah but divisibility even by the same number is irrelevant
the roman numeral system was not logarithmic (it had no base) thus was completely different from the decimal system - in a primitive kinda way as even basic operations were a frakkin' pain in the ass

now take the decimal system :
10 is 10 times bigger than 1
100 is 10 times bigger than 10
1000 is 10 times bigger than 100
etc. each "level", 10 times the previous - get it ?

there are several base-systems, for example binary (base 2, with digits 0 & 1 : 10 (two) is twice as big as 1, 100 (four) is twice as big as 10, ...), octal (base 8, with digits 0 to 7 : 10 (eight) is 8 times as big as 1, 100 (sixty-four) is 8 times as big as 10, ...), decimal (base 10, digits 0 to 9) and hexadecimal (base 16, with digits 0...9, A, B, C, D, E, F (so that makes 16 of 'em, with A = ten and F = fifteen))
of course you can write in any other non-conventional base but the others seldom have their uses except for the mathemasochist

now the roman numeral system has no base (for example V is 5 times bigger than I, but X is only 2 times bigger than V - in maths this lack of constance is a nightmare as even the basic addition method I'm sure you recall from kindergarten would be inapplicable)
this makes it very similar to the yards & inches system in this respect

Ed
November 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
In UK we use a bit of both generaly anything in a glass is in pints anything in a bottle is in liters except 1 pint botles of milk.
wood has to imperial dimensions and a metric one so for example i might go and buy 3meters of 2 by 4 the two and four being inches.
speed limits are in mph but maps are in km.

The rest of europe always try to make us conform so we make it more confusing to anoy them

Integrabyte
December 1st, 2007, 08:10 AM
....so if SGA would be made in continental Europe then this thread would have a different title:

The Metric System - It's truly universal!

Because they're aliens... from another galaxy. They'd use quatlootz or whatever, not feet.

The guy from Enigma when he described to Sam how the explosion shifted their planet a couple "degrees" he said "decanah" or something like that....That was realism...

disgruntled postie
January 1st, 2008, 03:58 AM
Coming from the UK I would tend to use both systems without any rhyme or reason eg. I quote my height in imperial but my weight in metric or speed of my car in imperial but measure distance in metric. As for wood measurements that made me laugh because I've gone looking for 8 2.5metre 4x4 fence posts and I didn't realize how silly it was.:S

Everlovin
June 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Unfortunatly for you (and fortunatly for me), the metric system is the international one. And I expect Carter, McKay and Zelenka to use it.( Since they are scientists.)

Umm, they do. Especially when in reference to scientific matters.

Personally, I am fairly conversant in both systems. I can even do conversions in my head. Scary!

Dobberman
July 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
As for the Mars Orbiter, for someone to use Newtons is so obsurd it's just hilarious. :P

You're joking right?