PDA

View Full Version : Zelenka's Gene

Penman
October 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it stated in Hot Zone that gene therapy didn't work on Zelenka? He was just show using an Ancient Life Signs Detector.

WingedPegasus
October 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I didn't think you needed the gene to work those.

Penman
October 12th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Colonel Sheppard said you did in the last episode of the first season when Colonel Everett took over.

WingedPegasus
October 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Colonel Sheppard said you did in the last episode of the first season when Colonel Everett took over.

He did? Oh. Then plothole, I guess.

Ruffles
October 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it stated in Hot Zone that gene therapy didn't work on Zelenka? He was just show using an Ancient Life Signs Detector.

I don't think he was using an LSD. He found a power relay not people. I think it was just a scanner.

Penman
October 12th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I was under the impression that they were the same device, much like a Star Trek tricorder. While there may be two different things you would assume that they would both operate with the Ancient gene or both operate without it.

Major_Griff
October 13th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Maybe they just kept shootin him with the gene therapy till it took.

Platschu
October 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM
You can see at 35:11, that Zelenka can't fly a jumper, so he didn't get the ATA gene. ;)

FallenAngelII
October 13th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Maybe it's another one of those "You only need someone with a gene to activate it"-items? Or the most common explanation: Plot hole.

prion
October 13th, 2007, 05:20 AM
CONTINUITY ERROR. Sigh.

Ruffles
October 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I was under the impression that they were the same device, much like a Star Trek tricorder. While there may be two different things you would assume that they would both operate with the Ancient gene or both operate without it.

And I've always assumed they were 2 different devices. Many things on Atlantis work without the gene. Does Keller have the gene? She was using one of the medical scanners in Adrift.

Vala_M
October 13th, 2007, 06:31 AM
I hate when they give the "Someone with the gene has to initialize it" explanation.

Vala,

Cap116
October 13th, 2007, 06:42 AM
I hate when they give the "Someone with the gene has to initialize it" explanation.

Vala,

I agree, I hate those too. I believe it is a huge plothole, but we know that Carter doesn't have the gene as well as Zelenka. (I know Carter doesn't have the gene, after I read something on here about how no one on SG-1 had the gene.) But, as someone said above, in "The Siege, Pt.2," Sheppard told Everett you needed the gene to use them. Maybe they found away to make the gene therapy more successful than 48%, at least Keller did or so. But anyway, like I said, a huge plothole.

cavalierlwt
October 13th, 2007, 07:04 AM
You know who should have caught it? The guy who plays Zelenka. Even if the writers missed it, I would think the actor would know his character well enough to raise the question as to why he coud suddenly use Ancient tech.

Platschu
October 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I think the pilot activated the life sign detector, so they could use it without ATA gene. So there is no plot hole only if you want to find. ;)

Ruffles
October 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM
From JM's blog:

Carter leads the rescue op into the facility: Speaking of growing, check out our little Radek all grown up and casting anxiety aside to help some friends in need. By the way, what he is clutching is not a wraith detector but a device (not unlike similar devices used on SG-1) designed to detect and offer an analysis of energy readings.

Count
October 13th, 2007, 04:43 PM
It makes sense, he was detecting energy readings with the thing, not life signs. It could have been an engineering like tool.

Quinn Mallory
October 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious that the device that Zelenka was holding was NOT an ancient device. It sure looks a lot more human than that.

Sparky13
October 14th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Read Joe Mallozzi's blog: It's not an LSD but a non-Ancient device used to pick up energy readings.

watcher652
October 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah, but I shouldn't have to read Mallozzi's blog to get that. I thought it was an LSD when Radek was holding it, even though I know Radek doesn't have the gene. When I go back and slo-mo the scene I can see that it looks different than an LSD. It's smaller and flatter. But how was I supposed to see that in the dim light and the quickness of the scene? We know that Rodney has used the LSD to also detect energy readings, so it still could have been an LSD Radek was holding.

I realize there are just so many ways you can configure a scanner, but just making it round on one end would have helped.

Telling me it looks like an SG-1 scanner may make the SG-1 fans happy with something familiar, but we're watching Atlantis here. I'm not looking for SG-1 tech.

Skydiver
October 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Vala,
yeah, that is so obviously a 'oh crap, we wrote ourself into a corner' get out of trouble free card

SG13-NightOps
October 18th, 2007, 09:05 AM
yeah, that is so obviously a 'oh crap, we wrote ourself into a corner' get out of trouble free card

*coughIrresponsiblecough* :(