X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Waves Duplexing Through the Gate?

I'm not sure whether this has been answered anywhere, but I'll go on:

It hadn't occurred to me until now, but they repeatedly state on SG-1 that gate travel is unidirectional, but if that is so, why do radio waves appear to be able to travel back and forth, allowing communication through the gate.

Depending on the answer, it seems clear that the gates are able to transmit data in both directions, at the same time. If that is so, wouldn't they be able to send people/objects through the gate at the same time too? Theoretically, anyway, I suppose they might have to make some changes to the gate network, but in either case, why would they then state consistently that gate travel in two directions at the same is impossible (since the radio waves appear to be able to do just that...).

In addition, if only waves are able to do this, then why does light not seem to go through, seeing as light behaves as both waves & particles.

//Sorry if I got anything wrong in there....
    Last edited by WarLud; 13 October 2007, 08:01 AM.
    I am not responsible for the content of the message above.

the gates create a wormhole but only a very small hole that is only able to carry either extreemly small objects or radio waves

the gate is basecly just a ring transporter limted to on way transportation but it doens't use a matter stream to transmit the transport data but the wormhole

hope it makes a bit of sence

Comment

i think it was something the ancients probably built into the gate system to make communications easier. it would certinly make sense.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

They've been able to communicate two way through the gate since the movie, how else would they have communicated with the Malp? They also repeatedly state that radiation is the only thing that can go two ways through the gate.
        Last edited by jds1982; 22 October 2007, 07:38 AM.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

raido waves are a form of energy. The ancients only programed teh gate to send objects one way

Comment

The gate creates a wormhole, but the gate itself is what transmits matter, and thus is only designed to transmit matter one way. Radio, radiation, and gravitational effects do not require matter, so there is no limit on which way that all goes.

Comment

my belief is that the wormhole itself is 2 way, but the gate actually dissassembles and reassembles solid objects independently of the actual wormhole. but it is made to be only one way for some reason
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

That is likely, Avatar. The reason perhaps... is because the storage crystals can only hold so much information, so that as a built in safety, it only stores one way?

Comment

or

They don't want bad guys to be able to come in (or send in a bomb) while they have to have the Iris open.

Comment

Think of the mess if someone walked in one side just as someone was coming out! It'd end up like if you beamed someone inside someone else.

Comment

I imagine that the wormhole it's self is two way but due to power rquirements the actual wormhole is tiny, what the gate does is dissasemble matter like the rings then sends it through the wormhole then re assembles the matter on the other side, this conversion process is one way only which is why the gates only allow travel one way but allow electromagnetic waves both directions

Comment

Some are stating that the rings are like the gate, but we have seen (cannot quote right noe though) that the rings do allow simulatneous transfer to and from the opposite platforms.

Ah I remember an episode, where Apophis was trading something with someone, the other system lord sent Teal'c by rings to Apophis and Ap sent something at the same time. You could see the matter stream connecting the two ships, perhaps the rings work slightly different than the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                          Some are stating that the rings are like the gate, but we have seen (cannot quote right noe though) that the rings do allow simulatneous transfer to and from the opposite platforms.

Ah I remember an episode, where Apophis was trading something with someone, the other system lord sent Teal'c by rings to Apophis and Ap sent something at the same time. You could see the matter stream connecting the two ships, perhaps the rings work slightly different than the gate.
                          ah but the rings send matter through real-space, gates send it through subspace
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                            my belief is that the wormhole itself is 2 way, but the gate actually dissassembles and reassembles solid objects independently of the actual wormhole. but it is made to be only one way for some reason
                            It's possible you are right. While the show itself has shown (as we've seen stuff destroyed when it went the wrong way through) that matter only travels one way, it could be possible that the stargate itself could be programmed to allow a two way transport. A stargate stores data in it's crystals then transmits it. If the DHD offworld could be activated to store data and transmit it despite being opened from offworld, then who knows.

However from a safety standard it would be a bad idea which could explain why matter only goes one way. The wormhole isn't a like a tunnel, who knows what could happen if two patterns going in opposite directions interacted, plus you've also got the security issue of someone being able to invade from offworld because of you're open wormhole. So it makes sense to make the stargate create one way wormholes or at least have the offworld DHD programmed not to store and transmit data if something went through the gate at the arrival point.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              It's possible you are right. While the show itself has shown (as we've seen stuff destroyed when it went the wrong way through) that matter only travels one way, it could be possible that the stargate itself could be programmed to allow a two way transport. A stargate stores data in it's crystals then transmits it. If the DHD offworld could be activated to store data and transmit it despite being opened from offworld, then who knows.

However from a safety standard it would be a bad idea which could explain why matter only goes one way. The wormhole isn't a like a tunnel, who knows what could happen if two patterns going in opposite directions interacted, plus you've also got the security issue of someone being able to invade from offworld because of you're open wormhole. So it makes sense to make the stargate create one way wormholes or at least have the offworld DHD programmed not to store and transmit data if something went through the gate at the arrival point.
                              exactly my point!!

i doubt the memory crystals are big enough to store, or DHD's smart enough to know how to disassemble/reassemble matter coming and going from both directions
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              Quotes!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X