This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitchhiker!

In light of the newly released movie trailor (as well as the brand new radio show picking up where the old one left off), I think this is as good a time as any to ask this question (nope, not the one I'm sure you were thinking I was GONNA ask): Does anyone remember what the official HGTTG towel looked like? I really must know.

(If anyone here has NO idea what I'm talking about, for the record I'm referring to a brilliant set of books, radio shows, computer games, towels, and bits of pocket fluff referred to collectively as the 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy')
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

If I remember rightly, the towel was wide horizontal stripes, blue, red and sort of off white.
    According to my rather dodgy memory, each stripe was supposedly soaked in a different nutrient, that could be sucked as the need arises.
    sigpic

Comment

Don't Panic
      -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
      GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
      M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
      ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
      geekcode

Comment

Lol. Possibly the most mis-leading thing that I have EVER read...
        [email protected]

One nation under dog
        A face in the crowd
        Unsung, against the mold
        Without a doubt
        Singled out
        The only way I know

Comment

.... 42!

*runs*

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorthaur
            Don't Panic
            more like...

DONT
            PANIC

Anyway

Im so lookign forward to this new HGTTG, Hopefully they will do all of the books! It'd be cool ifpeter (the god) jackson could do it, ill bet he could do it well. But, whoever is doing itwill no doubt do a descent job what with the uproar that will ensue if he DOESNT

Comment

you know the cafe in rickmansworth where the girl who discovered the secret of happiness just before the world blew up was drinking? i used to go to that cafe after school. seriously, it really exists. and when arthur and that girl made love in the sky and dropped their clothes over richmond and hounslow..i lived right under where they would have been. so you see...i belong in the Hitchhikers guide..if only someone would realise it........
              Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Originally posted by Bogopimp
                more like...

DONT
                PANIC

Anyway

Im so lookign forward to this new HGTTG, Hopefully they will do all of the books! It'd be cool ifpeter (the god) jackson could do it, ill bet he could do it well. But, whoever is doing itwill no doubt do a descent job what with the uproar that will ensue if he DOESNT
                NO not jackson he screwed lotr up. I wanted to find him and force him to read to book non stop for the rest of his life after i saw return of the king!

bt you right about the don't panic
                -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
                GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
                M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
                ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
                geekcode

Comment

Originally posted by Gorthaur
                  NO not jackson he screwed lotr up. I wanted to find him and force him to read to book non stop for the rest of his life after i saw return of the king!

bt you right about the don't panic
                  I don't think that Peter Jackson screwed up LOTR.

I've read the books and seen the movies and I love both. I don't see anything wrong with what he did and what he took out. You couldn't possibly put all of the book into the movie. The movie would probably be 10 hours long each instead of around 4 hours each.

If you are indirectly referring to the Scowering of the Shire, I heard that in the extended edition they might have something that will do that... I dunno.

Of course, it's just your opinion... I'm just stating mine...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                  Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

IMBD says it is directed by Garth Jennings: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/

Comment

I really hope that they don't try and squeeze all the books into one movie (I'm debating whether or not to go see Series of Unfortunate Events because of this). I just saw the trailor, and god it looks kick a**! I have my doubts as to how well Hitchhiker-style comedy will fit todays audience, but it could really rock if the director is a die-hard fan.
                      [email protected]

One nation under dog
                      A face in the crowd
                      Unsung, against the mold
                      Without a doubt
                      Singled out
                      The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
                        you know the cafe in rickmansworth where the girl who discovered the secret of happiness just before the world blew up was drinking? i used to go to that cafe after school. seriously, it really exists. and when arthur and that girl made love in the sky and dropped their clothes over richmond and hounslow..i lived right under where they would have been. so you see...i belong in the Hitchhikers guide..if only someone would realise it........
                        WOW! Now that is amazingly Improbable!

One question though, did you know that before moving in?
                        [email protected]

One nation under dog
                        A face in the crowd
                        Unsung, against the mold
                        Without a doubt
                        Singled out
                        The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                          I really hope that they don't try and squeeze all the books into one movie (I'm debating whether or not to go see Series of Unfortunate Events because of this). I just saw the trailor, and god it looks kick a**! I have my doubts as to how well Hitchhiker-style comedy will fit todays audience, but it could really rock if the director is a die-hard fan.
                          To be honest if the director isn't a fan it could work in the film's favour.

Anyhoooo for the information and edification of anyone who is interested, the folks at the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Earth Edition) - at least two, possibly more, of the researchers of that edition are members of this forum - have a handy info page just here

And, while we were within a few miles of the subject, as a long standing reader of LOTR (and initial sceptic) I have to say that I thought Peter Jackson did a fantastic job of filming it. Despite the differences etc etc.

ETA: oh, and why wouldn't the Hitchhiker film/books not appeal/be relevant to today's audience? If you think when they were written (1970s) and what was going on then, then look at the internet (particularly sites like h2g2) and what is going on in the world now.... the relevance is still there. The humour is timeless (who can forget Marvin and all his painful diodes?) and the characters are fantastically written.
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

If you're referring to H2G2 make that 3!
                            [email protected]

One nation under dog
                            A face in the crowd
                            Unsung, against the mold
                            Without a doubt
                            Singled out
                            The only way I know

Comment

I discovered a painful fact recently: I don't laugh at Hitchhiker anymore! I've heard it so many times that - although it's still funny - I'm always fifteen jokes ahead in my mind so I never laugh. For that, if nothing else, I am grateful that they've made a third series, even if technically speaking it does a Dallas with the entire Secondary Phase and pick up - again - where Fit the Sixth left off.

Oh, and I'll second MC's response to Jackson's LotR. He may have changed the message of the books out of all recognition ('even the smallest hand can change the course of the future' is not the same as 'small hands do them because they must'), but despite initial worries - having a university acquaintance who swore blind that Sam would be a girl and that all the male elves would be played by women didn't help - I enjoyed the whole lot as an entity distinct from either the books or the BBC radio series.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                              X