PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker!

Jprime
October 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM
In light of the newly released movie trailor (as well as the brand new radio show picking up where the old one left off), I think this is as good a time as any to ask this question (nope, not the one I'm sure you were thinking I was GONNA ask): Does anyone remember what the official HGTTG towel looked like? I really must know. :D

(If anyone here has NO idea what I'm talking about, for the record I'm referring to a brilliant set of books, radio shows, computer games, towels, and bits of pocket fluff referred to collectively as the 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy')

SeaBee
October 6th, 2004, 03:12 PM
If I remember rightly, the towel was wide horizontal stripes, blue, red and sort of off white.
According to my rather dodgy memory, each stripe was supposedly soaked in a different nutrient, that could be sucked as the need arises.

Gorthaur
October 6th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Don't Panic

Jprime
October 6th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Lol. Possibly the most mis-leading thing that I have EVER read... :D

MartoufMarty
October 6th, 2004, 06:53 PM
.... 42!

*runs*

Bogopimp
October 7th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Don't Panic
more like...

DONT
PANIC

Anyway :P

Im so lookign forward to this new HGTTG, Hopefully they will do all of the books! It'd be cool ifpeter (the god) jackson could do it, ill bet he could do it well. But, whoever is doing itwill no doubt do a descent job :) what with the uproar that will ensue if he DOESNT :P

michelleb
October 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM
you know the cafe in rickmansworth where the girl who discovered the secret of happiness just before the world blew up was drinking? i used to go to that cafe after school. seriously, it really exists. and when arthur and that girl made love in the sky and dropped their clothes over richmond and hounslow..i lived right under where they would have been. so you see...i belong in the Hitchhikers guide..if only someone would realise it........

Gorthaur
October 8th, 2004, 02:26 PM
more like...

DONT
PANIC

Anyway :P

Im so lookign forward to this new HGTTG, Hopefully they will do all of the books! It'd be cool ifpeter (the god) jackson could do it, ill bet he could do it well. But, whoever is doing itwill no doubt do a descent job :) what with the uproar that will ensue if he DOESNT :P
NO not jackson he screwed lotr up. I wanted to find him and force him to read to book non stop for the rest of his life after i saw return of the king!

bt you right about the don't panic

MartoufMarty
October 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM
NO not jackson he screwed lotr up. I wanted to find him and force him to read to book non stop for the rest of his life after i saw return of the king!

bt you right about the don't panic
I don't think that Peter Jackson screwed up LOTR.

I've read the books and seen the movies and I love both. I don't see anything wrong with what he did and what he took out. You couldn't possibly put all of the book into the movie. The movie would probably be 10 hours long each instead of around 4 hours each.

If you are indirectly referring to the Scowering of the Shire, I heard that in the extended edition they might have something that will do that... I dunno.

Of course, it's just your opinion... I'm just stating mine...

Supreme Commander Thor
October 8th, 2004, 10:31 PM
IMBD says it is directed by Garth Jennings: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/

Jprime
October 9th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I really hope that they don't try and squeeze all the books into one movie (I'm debating whether or not to go see Series of Unfortunate Events because of this). I just saw the trailor, and god it looks kick a**! I have my doubts as to how well Hitchhiker-style comedy will fit todays audience, but it could really rock if the director is a die-hard fan.

Jprime
October 9th, 2004, 02:14 PM
you know the cafe in rickmansworth where the girl who discovered the secret of happiness just before the world blew up was drinking? i used to go to that cafe after school. seriously, it really exists. and when arthur and that girl made love in the sky and dropped their clothes over richmond and hounslow..i lived right under where they would have been. so you see...i belong in the Hitchhikers guide..if only someone would realise it........

WOW! Now that is amazingly Improbable!

One question though, did you know that before moving in?

Major Clanger
October 9th, 2004, 02:23 PM
I really hope that they don't try and squeeze all the books into one movie (I'm debating whether or not to go see Series of Unfortunate Events because of this). I just saw the trailor, and god it looks kick a**! I have my doubts as to how well Hitchhiker-style comedy will fit todays audience, but it could really rock if the director is a die-hard fan.To be honest if the director isn't a fan it could work in the film's favour.

Anyhoooo for the information and edification of anyone who is interested, the folks at the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Earth Edition) - at least two, possibly more, of the researchers of that edition are members of this forum - have a handy info page just here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A2642384)

And, while we were within a few miles of the subject, as a long standing reader of LOTR (and initial sceptic) I have to say that I thought Peter Jackson did a fantastic job of filming it. Despite the differences etc etc.

ETA: oh, and why wouldn't the Hitchhiker film/books not appeal/be relevant to today's audience? If you think when they were written (1970s) and what was going on then, then look at the internet (particularly sites like h2g2) and what is going on in the world now.... the relevance is still there. The humour is timeless (who can forget Marvin and all his painful diodes?) and the characters are fantastically written.

Jprime
October 9th, 2004, 02:28 PM
If you're referring to H2G2 make that 3!

Mr Prophet
October 9th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I discovered a painful fact recently: I don't laugh at Hitchhiker anymore! I've heard it so many times that - although it's still funny - I'm always fifteen jokes ahead in my mind so I never laugh. For that, if nothing else, I am grateful that they've made a third series, even if technically speaking it does a Dallas with the entire Secondary Phase and pick up - again - where Fit the Sixth left off.

Oh, and I'll second MC's response to Jackson's LotR. He may have changed the message of the books out of all recognition ('even the smallest hand can change the course of the future' is not the same as 'small hands do them because they must'), but despite initial worries - having a university acquaintance who swore blind that Sam would be a girl and that all the male elves would be played by women didn't help - I enjoyed the whole lot as an entity distinct from either the books or the BBC radio series.

Jprime
October 9th, 2004, 08:24 PM
ETA: oh, and why wouldn't the Hitchhiker film/books not appeal/be relevant to today's audience? If you think when they were written (1970s) and what was going on then, then look at the internet (particularly sites like h2g2) and what is going on in the world now.... the relevance is still there. The humour is timeless (who can forget Marvin and all his painful diodes?) and the characters are fantastically written.

Oh sorry! I guess I could have worded that a bit better. What I MEANT to say was that Im not sure lots of the jokes would work well in a movie! I picked up Hitchiker in the late nineties and puked laughing each page! Sure its still funny today. Another thing is that it may be a bit tough for Canadian/US audiences to get some of the jokes ( Ford Prefect's name is a good example of this).

Major Clanger
October 10th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Oh sorry! I guess I could have worded that a bit better. What I MEANT to say was that Im not sure lots of the jokes would work well in a movie! I picked up Hitchiker in the late nineties and puked laughing each page! Sure its still funny today. Another thing is that it may be a bit tough for Canadian/US audiences to get some of the jokes ( Ford Prefect's name is a good example of this).
Yes, it is terribly British. I'm quite worried about how this will be handled,but... well, frankly I don't really care!!

I wish they weren't making a film of it at all, or that if they were, they would make it a ... what, 3,4,5? ... series of films for TV, made by the BBC or whoever, and just shown in the UK.

It is so completely and utterly British I'm not sure that I'll be able to get up the impetus to actually go to the pictures to see it, because this (for me) is worse than the anticipation (or horror) I was experiencing before LOTR hit the silver screen.

I started reading LOTR when I was 12, and the first Hitchhiker radio series came just after that, I listened avidly at school on a radio with a friend, read the books, watched the tv thing and so on. LOTR has a massive audience worldwide as a book, but (brilliant as they may be) I'm not sure the same could be said for the Hitchhiker books.

Mr.P, I'm with you. I gave up reading the books, or anything to do with Hitchhiker a while ago. It's like Monty Python, all they have to do is start the key sentence, and you can finish the rest in your head, can't you.

We need fresh meat. It's a pity the third book in the Dirk Gently series was never finished.

Major Clanger
October 10th, 2004, 12:28 AM
If you're referring to H2G2 make that 3!
oh and yes I was btw.

Perhaps I should go to see the film, wearing some Peril Sensitive Sunglasses...

SeaBee
October 10th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Perhaps I should go to see the film, wearing some Peril Sensitive Sunglasses...
I got a pair of those with the computer game years ago, along with a microscopic space fleet and a small amount of pocket fluff.

Having seen the mess made of the Doctor Who film, I'm a little worried that the Hikers film won't do the job.

I think I'll just sling down a Pan-galactic Gargle Blaster, then I won't have enough brain cells to care. :D

Major Clanger
October 10th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Having seen the mess made of the Doctor Who film, I'm a little worried that the Hikers film won't do the job.

I think I'll just sling down a Pan-galactic Gargle Blaster, then I won't have enough brain cells to care. :D
Well, Dr. Who and Hitchhikers, despite the obvious (to the initiated) coincidences, are two totally different things. And the Dr. Who budget was quite small (by the look of the thing)

But I'llgo for Pan-galactic Gargle Blasters all round!

Jprime
October 10th, 2004, 04:25 PM
We need fresh meat. It's a pity the third book in the Dirk Gently series was never finished.

I thought the majority of it was included in Salmon of Doubt?

Gorthaur
October 11th, 2004, 05:17 PM
I liked the LOTR movies seprate from the books. but i wish they had made it more like the books though. even if they were 10 hr each i would have sat in the theater for as long as it took.

Major Clanger
October 12th, 2004, 11:08 AM
I thought the majority of it was included in Salmon of Doubt?
Nah... all he had written at the time he died is in there, but it's not much. And of course, a rough draft and totally unedited. But still... fab read. Actually, I keep meaning to check fanfic to see if anyone has attempted to write more of it. Having said that, I don't think DNA would have been able to top The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. That is truly fab.

Jprime
October 12th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah Ive never tried reading Dirk Gently, exept for the short bit about cats and outdated notices in Salmon.

Scandrea
May 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I'm a H2G2 fan myself as well! I saw the movie, and enjoyed it a lot.

In fact, I'm a researcher for the Earth version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2)

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie on here. Give me some time to get my feet wet! :)