So two ships meet in space...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So two ships meet in space...

Why in Stargate do space ships all have the same orientation? You never see two ships meet in the vastness of space with one appearing upside down to the other do you? How do they know which way is up?

Gmt

Comment

its a tv show.

its for dramatic purposes.
      Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Soul View Post
        Why in Stargate do space ships all have the same orientation? You never see two ships meet in the vastness of space with one appearing upside down to the other do you? How do they know which way is up?
        Because that would make to much sense!!

And milkduds. next to magnets the most powerfull force in the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
          Gmt
          Im new here what does Gmt mean? lol

Comment

Im new here what does Gmt mean? lol
            Greenwich Mean Time.

There's no actual answer for the lack of... angles with Ships, it's just something that stops viewers from trying to turn their TV's over, smashing the fish bowel and suing MGM... :|

GMT provides a nice, nonsense explanation for such occurances

Comment

*rolls eyes*

Oh great, now you've gone and done it!

This is one of those things you're never, EVER supposed to bring up, but nooooo, you just had to go and open your mouth.

Well, it was nice knowing you, but it looks as though MGM will be sending over some nice men in black to have a word or two with you soon.

Comment

Crap! The Men in Black... I'm screwed...
                Actually for some reason I think I will be fine. LOL

Comment

The technobabble reason would be that the ships are on the plane of the galaxy and orient themselves thusly.
                  When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                  Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                    The technobabble reason would be that the ships are on the plane of the galaxy and orient themselves thusly.
                    thats my thought also

dan

Comment

1. It looks better
                      2. I have never seen two ships meet in space
                      3.Compasses... duh!

If you play games such as allegiance (although it does have an "up" and "down") most ships meet the same way up, its a simple matter of manoeuvrability, the design of the ships means that it is likely to perform better, for what ever reason, moving through one plane compared to another.

Comment

And its not just Stargate either. Any show with space ships is like that if you think about it.

Comment

Actually for better movement in space there's really only one way to orient one's self and thus ships meeting in space would meet "right side up" to each other. best analogy: think of space as an ocean, even in the ocean, where things can grow at any angle and technically, have no reason they couldn't meet each other facing any which way, they always have an "up" and "down" due to gravity and equilibrium. We like to often think of space as being Zero-G Vacuum but thats really a misnomer, space has gravity AND mass AND even atmosphere, just at amounts immensely smaller than a planet or a sun. As such, all things would have naturally orient themselves to best utilize this nearly undetectable amount of gravity for comfort, speed, and maneuverability.
                          Stargate
                          Its a great big whirl
                          With a great big swirl
                          And you step inside to another world

We're talking Stargate
                          Its a crazy trip
                          You can go quite far
                          And you don't need a car, or even a ship

There's Colonel O'Neill, and Carter, and Daniel, and Teal'c

Look out for that Goa-u-u-uld

Comment

And its not just Stargate either. Any show with space ships is like that if you think about it.
                            Not true. Watch the last episode of Season 3 BSG. Galactica and the fleet jump in all crooked.

Comment

I guess i havent seen BSG

Comment

Working...
                              X