This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drone Theory

Hey i have a new thoery on how drone weapons function. I came up with this during the Aurora vs system lords debate and well it might explain some things.
    Ok my theory revolves around a few basic premises:
    1) The drones use a ships power source not their own warhead in order to cause damage and fly.
    2) The drones are organic in nature

Right here is my thoery. I have always been unable to figure out how drones cause so damage yet are quite dainty in thier natural state, and how they are able to be used in many different ways depending on the ship.
    In their natural state drones are a squid like creature which has some mechanical parts to them. I think the mechanical parts are a mechanism for feeding energy in to the Organic part of the drone. We have seen organisms which absorb energy in order to increase their mass. What if the ancients discovered a creature which could store vast amounts of energy and then fused them in to a weapon. The weapon comes from the ability to store energy. When a drone is launched the system sends energy from the Power source to the drone, vast amounts of energy in some cases. the organic part works like a spouge and absorbs the energy. The Mechanics then use the "sponge" to release energy as a constant rate, propelling it through space like a chemical booster engine. Now when the drone impacts something the energy which was contained is released, when the organic part is destroyed all the energy contained is released. Now this is on simple impact mode, as is the case with the PJ's.
    What happens when you have enough power is that drones get more powerful as a weapon. When you know exactly how a drone works then can manually channel vast amounts of power in to entire silo's of drones activating them all at once and essentially what TLC battle showed is that when you drain a ZPM and put all its energy in to drones, their power is able to rip through shields. When you pump enough energy in to drones, they have hardware on board that activates, using the energy stored in the organism to activate all of the most advanced systems. Now these systems could include a mini shield which when activated makes hitting another shield obsolete because you have the power to overcome other shields. Firing a drone silo like in Antarctica essentially gives every drone a fraction of a ZPM's collective power. The other thing "boosting" a drone does is allow massive formation, or swarms of drones to be used. This required extra power to switch on networked targetting sensors and engines.

My theory is that the more power you supply to the drones, the more systems on board can activate. Thoughts?

Tep
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

You're using quite a few assumptions there, the most notable of which this whole thing is based on:

1. The assumption that drones require a ZPM or other power source to operate. It was my understanding from the show that you merely need a power source to get the chair (which allows you to control the drones) to work.

2. The assumption that drones are organic. What evidence is there, really, to back this up? Besides their appearance, I mean. And even then, what technology have the Ancients EVER made that's organic in nature?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Like the idea on the organism, maybe they created it to serve as the weapon function instead of finding it.

And I think that there as to be some kind of explosive in it but your theory on the more power you pump into it is great it makes perfect sense from what we have seen.

Comment

Actually, I think the design of the drone is only a design element. If anyone recalls, we've seen two basic types of Ancient tech. First is the very geometric, stained-glass motif found in the outposts and on Atlantis/Asuras. The other type is a more organic theme, with curves and shiny stone-like material. This is most notably seen in the "Ancient head-suckers", and very likely on the drones. I think drones have a small power source built in, or maybe are charged while in their racks (as seen on Atlantis' sister city). All we have concrete fact for is that there needs to be power to the chair for drone control. So yeah, the organic appearance of the drones is probably just a design element left over from some of the Milky Way Ancient tech.
        Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
        Check out my Flickr

Comment

1. The assumption that drones require a ZPM or other power source to operate. It was my understanding from the show that you merely need a power source to get the chair (which allows you to control the drones) to work.

No i said that if you have a ZPM the drone would work better. You can use a laptop to fire a drone upwards, but thats it, like Mkcay did in the Tower. Im saying that the more power you have at your disposal, the more you can use (number of drones) and more technology within the weapon you can activate at the same time.
          2. The assumption that drones are organic. What evidence is there, really, to back this up? Besides their appearance, I mean. And even then, what technology have the Ancients EVER made that's organic in nature?
          Yes because if the drones were not organic, the ancients wouldnt have stuck a squid on the end of a missile unless they really were all about looks and style. That organic warhead must have some function. While the Ancients, granted havent made anything specificly organic, they have made things which appear organic, like the head grabber. Im not saying the entire drone is organic. Im saying the warhead and power source for the drones is Organic, a creature which can absorb energy, possible genetically engineered or grown.
          I think drones have a small power source built in, or maybe are charged while in their racks (as seen on Atlantis' sister city). All we have concrete fact for is that there needs to be power to the chair for drone control.
          Yes but the chair itself doesn't need power to run, it needs power to use the technology it controls. Now Networking thousands of drones takes alot of computing power im sure but not on ZPM draining scale. The ZPM feeding energy to the drones, activating "swarm mode", charging the warhead with its energy and then maintaining the connection with each drone through the chair. That is ZPM draining scale. But i think the warhead of the drone itself comes from the energy source it is being control from. Drones from a PJ for example have yeilds much smaller than when fired from Atlantis or an aurora, we can see this in Seteda, where the drone didnt have enough energy to just blast through the wraith, it threw him against a wall and was drained after transfering all the energy to the wraith, frying him.

maybe they created it to serve as the weapon function instead of finding it.
          Indeed, it may have been created instead of being found, but they may have studied creatures or natural elements which can absorb energy, trying to think of the example, well the obvious one is the hide and seek creature. ooo ties in to theory. Maybe that was the creature they studied, the more energy it absorbed the more vollitile contact with it became. They tried to engineer a creature which had similar properties.
          Last edited by immhotep; 06 October 2007, 09:37 AM.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
            Indeed, it may have been created instead of being found, but they may have studied creatures or natural elements which can absorb energy, trying to think of the example, well the obvious one is the hide and seek creature. ooo ties in to theory. Maybe that was the creature they studied, the more energy it absorbed the more vollitile contact with it became. They tried to engineer a creature which had similar properties.
            Makes sense why they would have the creature.

And IDK if you already addressed this but I always thought that the Drones were powered by a neural power system and not a "plug in" system.
            As in that if you wanted a drone to go you would think and the Power would go wirelessly to the Drone and you were just steering it.

Comment

I think it's a naquadah warhead.
              i mean weve seen anubis pump energy into our gate to make it explode. and we know nackuadah can absorb large amounts of energy(u need a realy big a bomb to blow up a gate) and it makes sense that it soaks up energy like a spong and bursts when it either can't absorb any more or when it's poped(ordered to explode). And drones seem to have a variable yeild warhead, this supports my theory.

And the reason i think it's not organic is life support. every organism needs a certain enviroment that i cannot survive without, i don't think drones are big enough to house such a system.

The other reson i think dromes are not organic is because they can lie deactivated for thousands of yeards and just come online when ordered to. have wre ever seen anything like that in stargate?

what i think we should siscuss is the drone's propulsion system that let's it burrow thru ice and ground(this might have something to do with the drone's ability to go thru shields) and propel it in both air and space.

Comment

If drones were living creatures, or even cyborgs, they would be mobile in their natural state, they would need to be kept in something approximating their natural environment, fed, etc. Basically, the drone storage area would have to be a large aquarium. Instead, we saw them stored in racks like inanimate objects and perfectly still and inert when not launched. Nor would your theory explain how the chair operator manages to mentally control drones after the launch.

Also, if drones were ZPM-powered, Puddle Jumpers wouldn't be able to shoot them... and didn't we see McKay MacGyver a drone to be launched without the chair in "The Tower"?
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

exctly, the jumpers can launch drones by using(the jumper's) onboard powersource, the only reason u need the chair is to launch drones from the city or outpost in swarms.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                    Yes because if the drones were not organic, the ancients wouldnt have stuck a squid on the end of a missile unless they really were all about looks and style. That organic warhead must have some function. While the Ancients, granted havent made anything specificly organic, they have made things which appear organic, like the head grabber. Im not saying the entire drone is organic. Im saying the warhead and power source for the drones is Organic, a creature which can absorb energy, possible genetically engineered or grown.
                    I don't think you understand what he said.

It sounds as if you certain that the squid looking part of the drone is in fact some form of squid-like creature. Just because it's looks that way, does it make it so. For one, I highly doubt they're organic. I mean, do you have any evidence of this? I mean what would be the point of making an organic weapon when you could do the same without it being so?

And what looks organic in nature to you, may not look organic to someone(thing) else. Curvy-looking tech in no way implies organic
                    sigpic

Comment

well we can pretty much agree that the drones arnt living,they are not just ZPM-powered, and you can operate them with a small computer if you have the know-how.

how do you reckon they are made ?

Comment

Originally posted by FORDs Follower View Post
                        well we can pretty much agree that the drones arnt living,they are not just ZPM-powered, and you can operate them with a small computer if you have the know-how.

how do you reckon they are made ?
                        Well, the one answer that is infallible: MAGIC.

My theory goes you can answer any question with that, MAGIC.

Why is the sky blue daddy? Magic
                        How are babies made? Magic
                        Why does chocolate taste so good but makes you fat? The devil...I mean, MAGIC.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zatarc View Post
                          Well, the one answer that is infallible: MAGIC.

My theory goes you can answer any question with that, MAGIC.

Why is the sky blue daddy? Magic
                          How are babies made? Magic
                          Why does chocolate taste so good but makes you fat? The devil...I mean, MAGIC.
                          Atmospheric interaction with radiational particles

Birds and the Bees

Sugar

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfax View Post
                            Atmospheric interaction with radiational particles
                            *cough*refraction*cough*

I agree with chicer_mister, the drones cannot be organic because there is no way that the organism could possibly last thousands of years (The tower drones in the Jumpers) to millions of years (i.e. Atlantus outpost) without replacement... even if you say they are Uber advanced and genetically engineered, not even near ascended ancients have lived that long without cryogenics (i.e. Frozen) or in stasis pods (i.e. Merlin). If they did genetically engineer the lifeform they would presumably alter their own DNA (which we know they could do) to include the gene which prolonged life.

No, I believe that a naquada warhead of some description is more likely, or possibly a more stable form of the explosive Camulus used on the ZPM

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson View Post
                              No, I believe that a naquada warhead of some description is more likely, or possibly a more stable form of the explosive Camulus used on the ZPM
                              which episode is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X