Moonlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moonlight

Well, I didn't know if I could post this here, but since "Buffy" and "Supernatural" are discussed in this section, I guess it's ok.

So, did anybody watch the first episode of "Moonlight" on CBS last night ? Mick St. John is a very sexy vampire ! When I first read about this show, I thought it was just another "Forever Knight" remake, but it isn't and I liked it. What do you guys think ?

It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but it wasn't good, either. In my opinion, of course. If there had been anything else worth watching I'd have changed the channel.

The characters were more caricatures than three-dimensional people and the dialogue was atrocious. Other shows have done this better and with more zing.

The angst-ridden, broody, woe-is-I vampire cliché has been done to death and beyond. Put a stake in it, already. I'm tired of the whole pity-the-undead shtick.

The killer was so obvious they may as well have hung a blinking neon sign over his head and the "reasoning" behind the murders was about as runny as the plot itself and anyone who didn't guess the other "big reveal" needs to have their head examined for brain damage.

I will say this, though: the opening startled me into attention; I actually thought there was going to be an interesting twist that could have made the show a lot more unique... or at least added another vampire series to the Pool of Lifted Plots. Alas, that didn't pan out.

I don't find Mick remotely sexy; in my opinion there are very few men who can pull off the long-haired look and O'Loughlin isn't one of them. His line about "some people find vampires sexy" was cringe-inducing. In fact, that was probably the point where I said, "Ye gods, is there really nothing better to watch?!"

The only joy I gleaned from watching it was getting to see Kevin Weisman. *huggles Marshall* He was a bit character with only a few lines, but golly was it ever nice to see him again.

I suppose it's possible that things could improve with time (if they at least hire better writers), but knowing the TV industry, that'll probably be right when the show gets axed. Either way, I'm not gonna bother tuning in again. Next time I'll just watch a movie instead. Or go for a walk. Or watch paint dry. Anything would be an improvement.

Personally- and especially given the title of the series- I think the show would have been improved by using a werewolf instead of a vampire. At least it'd be less cliché.

Comment

There was a lot of hype before Moonlight aired, and I was pretty excited since I like the vampire genre. However, I wasn't thrilled at all after watching it. It seemed as if information flowed freely between the tabloid internet news she worked for and the police. Not to mention the easy to solve murders. Also the sub-plot connecting them just killed it for me. The show needs work if it wants to compare to Angel, Forever Knight, or Blade.

I've seen articles saying Moonlight could get cult status...after that pilot, goodluck.
      "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
      The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Holy Cow that show was bad. I gave up on it and then my I went back to finsih it to see it would get any better, it got worse, definetly the biggest stinker of all the new shows I have watched this season. I don't think this one is going to last very long.
        Last edited by the Fifth Race; 29 September 2007, 08:46 PM.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

it had its moments, and might have some promise...but basing the whole show on the premise of unrequited love over the years????

dudes, don't give away the whammy so soon. Don't base it all on the romance, or at least let it build up.

we need more to base teh show on.

I'm gonna give it another go or two but largely based on the hope that the shows themselves are usually different from the pilots
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

That bad, huh ?

Well, I absolutely detested the new "Battlestar Galactica" right from the start and it lasted four seasons. I'm in love with "House" and sooo many out there can't stand the guy. "Firefly" was a gem and it was axed after just one season ( and now it is something like a cult show )

Anyway, I'm a longtime vampire fan; I've read ALL the Ann Rice vampire novels, I have "Forever Knight" on DVD... and for some reason I do like "Moonlight". It needs some adjustments and yeah, the killer was too obvious, but c'mon, am I the one single viewer who liked it ??? Even a little bit ???

Comment

So the verdict is as expected? I didn't watch, I watched the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" movie instead. (which I had never seen)

Not much better than "Moonlight" sounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                it had its moments, and might have some promise...but basing the whole show on the premise of unrequited love over the years????
                Weren't you listening? Vampires are sexy, thus romance is a natural basis for the entire show.

As for House, I love the character, but the show is so painfully formulaic you can set you watch by the plot points and that's an unforgivable sin in my book.

I'll also admit to being naturally biased against vampires. Never liked them, never understood the attraction, and thought the angsty undead stuff was a bit silly. There are always exceptions, though, and I'm kinda enjoying Blood Ties although it's all a bit silly, too.

As someone who at one point wanted to be a wolf when she grew up, werewolves were much more my kinda thing.

Comment

My review in one word: Yaaaaawwwwwnn......snore.

Ok, that's two words, but you get the point. There just was not enough there, especially for major network TV. This show obviously reminded me a lot of Blood Ties which I just recently saw. Which show will make it to the next season? My bets are on Blood Ties, on a network that will not demand 10 million + viewers to remain.

Show like Angel last (kind of) because it was entertaining, but was also on a channel that did not require huge ratings, and even then they canceled it. NBC is simply not going to allow this show to continue with mediocre viewing.

And I certainly saw nothing that would indicate this show is going on to brighter and more entertaining story. It was not horrible, but then again it was not that good. What it does have going for it was at that time slot, there really is not much else out there. Except for Trash Gordon...LMAO like I am going to watch that garbage.

Comment

The second season of Blood Ties is coming up in a couple of weeks and Angel had Buffy to help launch it. If he'd just been some random vampire with no connections whatsoever to Buffy, I dunno if it would have survived. And yeah, it did get cancelled eventually, but there are very few shows that ever choose to end and Angel got more years than a lot of other shows do, particularly ones in the SF&F genre.

Moonlight brings nothing new to the table and doesn't even do much with the material it borrows from other (generally better) sources.

I know there's a series based on the Sookie Stackhouse books due soon, too (if it hasn't started already). I'm a bit curious about that one since it does what I momentarily thought Moonlight was going to do: brings vamps out of the closet casket.

Comment

I thought it was pretty good, interesting enough that I'll watch the second episode.
                      sigpic

Comment

It was watchable, that's the best I can say about it. I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing really. I think I have a bias against PI series and crime dramas to begin with, don't care for them but this show didn't do much to invite me to change my mind. The narration was heavy handed and annoying as those things always are..not as bad as PKJs.. which absolutely terrible but I would have rather had some other means of explanation.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

This week we watched the pilots for Chuck, Journeyman, Bionic Woman, and Moonlight. This was probably among the stronger intros. Definitely room for improvement, but you expect that with a pilot (if not an entire first season).

I've never really watched any show in the vampire genre, including Buffy or Angel, so I didn't have as much a "been there, done that" sense as other people seem to. I've also read a good deal of casting sides for this and other upcoming episodes, and at least on the written page this show looks like it's among the best of the new sci-fi / fantasy offerings this season.

Definitely going to give it a few weeks.
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                            This week we watched the pilots for Chuck, Journeyman, Bionic Woman, and Moonlight. This was probably among the stronger intros. Definitely room for improvement, but you expect that with a pilot (if not an entire first season).

I've never really watched any show in the vampire genre, including Buffy or Angel, so I didn't have as much a "been there, done that" sense as other people seem to. I've also read a good deal of casting sides for this and other upcoming episodes, and at least on the written page this show looks like it's among the best of the new sci-fi / fantasy offerings this season.

Definitely going to give it a few weeks.
                            You are seriously missing out, they were two of the greatest vampire shows ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post

I've never really watched any show in the vampire genre, including Buffy or Angel, so I didn't have as much a "been there, done that" sense as other people seem to.
                              wow!! Darren!! tis a wonderful honor to be within your presence in here!!
                              thank you!

Originally posted by Caldwell's 2IC View Post
                              That bad, huh ?
                              Anyway, I'm a longtime vampire fan; I've read ALL the Ann Rice vampire novels, I have "Forever Knight" on DVD... and for some reason I do like "Moonlight". It needs some adjustments and yeah, the killer was too obvious, but c'mon, am I the one single viewer who liked it ??? Even a little bit ???
                              I missed it - the MOONLIGHT premiere.. I was too busy watching Flash Gordon with the Blood Ties trio cast to realize Moonlight was on as well.
                              (BT cast-- Gina Holden "Coreen",
                              Steve Bacic guest stars next ep OCT.12, 2007, starting at 11p.m., and
                              Michael Eklund recurring guest star "Norman" who keeps chasing Coreen --
                              were all cast on Flash Gordon in one episode?? *Cool*!!)

However, I understand the guy on Moonlight likes injecting himself with the blood bank needles..?? that's kind of scary -- right there!

Oooh, and he also sleeps in a FREEZER, too..??
                              Oh Kai..! someone must have borrowed LEXX's freezer!
                              of course, that isn't protoblood in those injections, too!? (freaky.. very freaky, especially nowadays with too many drug addicts running amuck and needles, etc).

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              I'll also admit to being naturally biased against vampires. Never liked them, never understood the attraction, and thought the angsty undead stuff was a bit silly.
                              well, to be truthful, I'm not entirely *crazy* in liking them either.. tho, there are definitely a few exceptions.. *grin*

I'll also admit to being naturally biased against vampires. Never liked them, never understood the attraction, and thought the angsty undead stuff was a bit silly. There are always exceptions, though, and I'm kinda enjoying Blood Ties although it's all a bit silly, too.

The second season of Blood Ties is coming up in a couple of weeks and Angel had Buffy to help launch it...
                              OooooMG!! *thank you* ShadowMaat for *FINALLY* bringing up something positive about BLOOD TIES...! I've waited ALL summer just to hear someone on here mention something about it (besides myself.. LOL!), and you have NO idea how much gushing is probably going on at another web site right now for hearing this.. If anyone would come thru on BT, I was hoping it'd be you (remember the entire LOVE HURTS ?? episode? with "PETER GROOOOOOOODIN" Craig Veroni as a *love demon* ...LOL!!).

BTW, Steve Bacic will be guest starring on the returning episode of Blood Ties on October 12, 2007.

not for Steve's particular story, but for the entire Blood Ties series, it does help in understanding that series -- by starting out with the premiere ep of "BLOOD PRICE" (2-parter). Missing that story, and the rest of the series won't make much sense, or have much of an impact. Miss half of the 2-parter for a major news review as one critic did, and that only makes the review half baked! No wonder the reviewer missed the point of the series.. how can anyone make an accurate review from start to finish, when half of the entire story wasn't seen?? Someone did that with Stargate Atlantis (season 1 finale 2-parter eps), and missed the point of the whole storyline there, too.
                              Last edited by SGalisa; 29 September 2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X