Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42 Fanzine - A sci-fi and fantasy zine, written by fans, for fans.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42 Fanzine - A sci-fi and fantasy zine, written by fans, for fans.

Greetings

I was going to attempt a long and wordy diatribe here, but I feel that getting to the point would, in the long run, be better for everyone.

The short of it is that myself and a friend of mine decided that print magazines weren't quite meeting our needs as fans. The articles are great, the interviews informative and the general snarky comments wholly amusing. However, the factor that is most pronouncedly lacking is an understanding of fandom itself. The general goings on of online communities, who are these days a large majority of any fanbase, go wholly unnoticed by mainstream sci-fi and fantasy magazines.

It is our goal to create a zine with a slightly different angle. 42 will be released monthly, and while it can in no way claim to keep up with and be a definitive source of the latest news, what is more important to us is being a valid catalogue of fan opinion. The magazine will carry articles, reviews, comments, letters and debates all written and submitted by fans. The graphics and design will be handled by a graphics team, which anyone is welcome to join. We will also carry interviews, competitions and anything else interesting that we can come up with.

Definitively speaking, we aim to be the online equivalent of your mainstream sci-fi magazine, dealing with fandoms both new and old. We're very eager to hear about Atlantis, but SG-1 is by no means dead and gone. The fans are still there, and so are the discussions. We won't be tossing subject matter by the wayside just because it's not making headlines anymore.

But basically, we need YOU; the articles need to be written by someone, the debates need two sides, the graphics won't design themselves. All we are asking is a good standard of English and content that is not abusive to other fans, or the cast/crew/writers of whatever you are talking about. This is your chance to have your opinions heard and share your thoughts on your favourites, both new and old!

The whole thing will be edited together by myself and Sam. We will read every submission, and while it is very likely that it will be included in the magazine, if we already have several other articles about the same subject matter then it might not be possible to have it in that particular issue. However, we will file absolutely every submission we receive, and if it cannot be used at a later date, we will contact you and see if you'd like to write something else.

You don't even have to write or design, we'd be delighted with all and any ideas. We'd like 42 to be your ideal magazine; so if there's something you'd like to see in it, please let us know.

I apologise, I'm rambling a little already Basically, we're both really excited about this. We want to bring fandoms together and provide fans with something that is both fun and informative to read, but also highly interactive.

For the even more wordy tale of the zine's premise and inception, you can visit www.42zine.blogspot.com.

If you'd like to get involved in the magazine, or just learn more about it, please visit www.42zine.com/forum.

We are both new at this, so we are not promising earth-shattering miracles, but we are both very committed to this and I personally am an insane perfectionist, so it will be the best we can humanly make it. We are so much looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read. If it's not for you, please do tell your friends. You can reach either myself or Sam at admin[@]42zine.com, or feel free to PM me here or at the zine forum.

A sincere thanks to Denise (Skydiver) for listening to my initial ramblings

looked quite cool ,so i just joined up for no reason yet really, just thought it would be to get in on the scene whilst its new.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

This sounds neat! I clicked upon the thread expecting another spam message, and was plesently surprised to see it wasn't. I shall take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        looked quite cool ,so i just joined up for no reason yet really, just thought it would be to get in on the scene whilst its new.
        Thanks so much for taking the trouble to read and join! Hey, you don't need to do anything specific, just hang about and have a chat, throw in a few ideas if you feel so inclined and of course read the zine once we get the first issue out! If you subscribe to the blog, we'll be keeping it updated regularly and that'll let you know what's going on!

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        This sounds neat! I clicked upon the thread expecting another spam message, and was plesently surprised to see it wasn't. I shall take a look.
        Welcome welcome Oh dear no, does the title make it sound like spam? I'll get it re-named if it does, because that certainly won't do... Thanks to you for joining up; come in and have chat, we're all pleasant...ly mad

Comment

Originally posted by myblackrose View Post
          Thanks so much for taking the trouble to read and join! Hey, you don't need to do anything specific, just hang about and have a chat, throw in a few ideas if you feel so inclined and of course read the zine once we get the first issue out! If you subscribe to the blog, we'll be keeping it updated regularly and that'll let you know what's going on!

Welcome welcome Oh dear no, does the title make it sound like spam? I'll get it re-named if it does, because that certainly won't do... Thanks to you for joining up; come in and have chat, we're all pleasant...ly mad
          No, it's a good title- there just seem to be so many plugs in here for things that are, shall I say.....by first time posters who sound very excited about something while trying to pretend that it's not their project.

Comment

Are you ever going to consider fiction?

Comment

No, it's a good title- there just seem to be so many plugs in here for things that are, shall I say.....by first time posters who sound very excited about something while trying to pretend that it's not their project.
              Ah, I get you

Originally posted by boxvic View Post
              Are you ever going to consider fiction?
              We would very much like to... if there are enough submissions we would be delighted to consider fiction, and perhaps even host writing competitions.

We need to work out a few copyright issues, but in terms of plans; yes, it is our intention to include fiction Fanfiction, however, is a separate issue that we need to explore carefully...

What sort of story are you thinking of submitting?

Comment

I am very excited by this project, not only because its being run by my friend but also because i have wanted an online Scifi magazine, wich is fan centric to come out for along time. This is a great project and ive joined the forum etc. count on my support and hopefully some articles when the time comes
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

What sort of story are you thinking of submitting?

Well, I write sci-fi and fantasy. I finish more fantasy than I do sci-fi though.

As for the copyrights, if you were willing to pay a token fee you could buy first electronic publishing rights. If not, you could allow the author to retain all publication rights. So he would be free to publish the story elsewhere as long as the other publisher doesn't care that it has been published before. The only requirement I would really make is that I would not accept stories that have already been published. Big publications have lawyers who know all the laws about republishing, but I'd just skip the whole mess by accepting new works only.

Comment

Thanks Tep!

Originally posted by boxvic View Post
                    Well, I write sci-fi and fantasy. I finish more fantasy than I do sci-fi though.

As for the copyrights, if you were willing to pay a token fee you could buy first electronic publishing rights. If not, you could allow the author to retain all publication rights. So he would be free to publish the story elsewhere as long as the other publisher doesn't care that it has been published before. The only requirement I would really make is that I would not accept stories that have already been published. Big publications have lawyers who know all the laws about republishing, but I'd just skip the whole mess by accepting new works only.
                    That's great... we'd love to see either or both!

On the spur of the moment, I would say that it is most likely our intention to leave all publishing rights with the author. We have no desire to have any control of the story or its distribution. However, we will be getting some advice on copyright issues, so I won't say anything definitive at the moment. Basically, the only change we would make would be to alleviate any possibility of our somehow being sued someday... not ideal you will agree

We will definitely only be accepting new works.. there's a whole world of entanglement in there that I don't even want to think about!

If you'd like to register on the forum or subscribe to the blog RSS feed then we'll be able to keep you posted on just how we're going to lay out the process for the submission of fiction.

Thanks for your interest, we'd be delighted to publish your fiction

Comment

Thanks Tep!

That's great... we'd love to see either or both!

On the spur of the moment, I would say that it is most likely our intention to leave all publishing rights with the author. We have no desire to have any control of the story or its distribution. However, we will be getting some advice on copyright issues, so I won't say anything definitive at the moment. Basically, the only change we would make would be to alleviate any possibility of our somehow being sued someday... not ideal you will agree

We will definitely only be accepting new works.. there's a whole world of entanglement in there that I don't even want to think about!

If you'd like to register on the forum or subscribe to the blog RSS feed then we'll be able to keep you posted on just how we're going to lay out the process for the submission of fiction.

Thanks for your interest, we'd be delighted to publish your fiction
                      This sounds great- I'd love to see original fiction in this as well.

Comment

This sounds great- I'd love to see original fiction in this as well.
                        We aim to please!!!

Have yet to chat with our 'legal advisor' about exactly how we are going to structure the submission process, but we'll be letting you all know as soon as we do!

I'm really excited about including fiction in the magazine now; I hadn't expected there to be such a demand for it... now I have an excuse to read lots of great short stories! XD

Your enthusiasm is really encouraging, so thank you all

Comment

Working...
                        X