X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Pipe

I looked around but didn't see anything about this,

If they where to find oil off world and drill it, the would probably use a pipe through the Stargate to move it to earth. My question, inside of that pipe, can liquid travel both ways?

No, the pipe won't re-materialize on the other side of the gate until the whole pipe has entered!

The Stargate transmits matter in discrete units. The front end of the pipe cannot re-materialize until the whole pipe has crossed into the event horizon. You would have to pour the oil through a pipe positioned directly in front of the event horizon and catch it again on the other side. Like the 'food' in 'Prisoners'

Comment

What about jack's arm in Shades of Grey?

Comment

or replicarters arm in gemini

Comment

Jack wasn't on one planet with his arm on another! He had stepped out of the gate at the SGC so his data pattern had already been sent from the off-world gate (because he stepped all the way through) to the SGC one! His arm was just inside the Event Horizon of the SGC gate which is what held the gate open, it was waiting for him to pull his arm out, but Jack (and his arm) was completely on Earth!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
            or replicarters arm in gemini
            what does that prove apart from the gate was shut down before the replicator could step all the way through?

Comment

Perhaps if they have the gate horizontal (like the Aschen did) & have the oil run through the open gate & collected it on the other side some how.
              sigpic
              "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
              Signature made by RJB

Comment

depending if they found oil. the only way to ship it is put in containers and either beam to the 304 or put it in a container small enough to go through the gate.

one way to get huge amounts is fill it in containers the size of like giat bus and somehow use a transporter similar to the asgards and store it in a buffer and then take it to earth through the gate...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wilson359 View Post
                  Perhaps if they have the gate horizontal (like the Aschen did) & have the oil run through the open gate & collected it on the other side some how.
                  If they poured the oil through the Stargate, they could have the gate on the other side upside down and basically have a massive funnel underneath it connected to a pipe which then takes the oil wherever you want it to go.

But really, the last thing we need is more oil to be reliant on.

Naquadah Generators are the future!

Comment

What is the point of using fossil fuels from another planet if you have an advanced powersource? for instance if you had a BC-304 to transport those fuels, the 304 would use millions of times of energy produce by their cargo to power the ship onits journey..Well just polluting our planet by using those oils.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                      what does that prove apart from the gate was shut down before the replicator could step all the way through?

The show actually explained why the arm was severed, and it was not due to the wormhole itself.

Apparently RepliCarter sensed that she wasn't going to get through as a whole, so she sacrificed her arm, hence no longer making it part of her and from that, R/C would re-materialise on the other side.

It is stated multiple times that the only thing that can travel both ways through an open wormhole are waves, may it be radiation or radio.

Jack's arm in Shades of Grey (compared to other times) this is a very confusing thing, as once someone ran through an incoming wormhole and their matter was just removed, possibly due to the matter of the whole unit going through, it might just be a safety mechanism. In a wormhole (outgoing or incoming,) theres the possibility you can put something partially in, and still take it out as a whole. Waving the gun around in the Incoming hole is useless as the bullets wouldn't pass through the wormhole.

Onto the topic of finding oil offworld.....
                      IF there are "fossil fuels" found offworld, there's a large chance that we could not use them as they are composed of different chemicals. If they had to bring a drilling platform to another planet, they'd take one of their Cruisers and use the gate for smaller items.
                      Once the oil was excavated, they would have to be packaged in large containers, and either used by the Battleship (if adapted/suitable,) or cart the containers through the gate.
                      Oil found offworld however may be like an uber-diluted version of our common-day Petroleum, or uber-concentrated/volatile. The reason of this is that other planets wouldn't have gone through the same process of Earth, as well as some of the bio-degrading life-forms may be very very different.

Its like using the Liquid Crystal (display) in a paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven6666 View Post
                        Jack's arm in Shades of Grey (compared to other times) this is a very confusing thing, as once someone ran through an incoming wormhole and their matter was just removed, possibly due to the matter of the whole unit going through, it might just be a safety mechanism. In a wormhole (outgoing or incoming,) theres the possibility you can put something partially in, and still take it out as a whole. Waving the gun around in the Incoming hole is useless as the bullets wouldn't pass through the wormhole.
                        that's right, like in 38 minutes is a really good example of that in action, being able to put stuff through and pull it out before it's all the way.they do it with a whole person (can't remember who)
                        it is due to the fact that the stargate actually has some sort of matter disassembler field that you walk through before you actually go through the wormhole, and then the same feild reassembles you at the other end. or can reassemble something that is half through it when it is pulled out.

i should point out, the only time something has ever gone through the gate and out the other side before being fully in, is in 100 days when teal'c fires a rope through the gate, i figue this is because the gate has AI that knows what the person going through is trying to do, it sences long thing rope going though, so it let's it go all the way.
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                          If they poured the oil through the Stargate, they could have the gate on the other side upside down and basically have a massive funnel underneath it connected to a pipe which then takes the oil wherever you want it to go.

But really, the last thing we need is more oil to be reliant on.

Naquadah Generators are the future!
                          yes you could use one small one to power your car and have electric cars

ok so not allot of 4X4 but you get the idea
                          I'm also know as "Meredith" on Keepthegateopen.net and SG community.com
                          "No it only sound ridiculous till you hear yourself say I'm trapped on a spaceship stuck in a time dilation field."

http://sg1.stargatecommunity.com/eluvatar

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                            No, the pipe won't re-materialize on the other side of the gate until the whole pipe has entered!

The Stargate transmits matter in discrete units. The front end of the pipe cannot re-materialize until the whole pipe has crossed into the event horizon. You would have to pour the oil through a pipe positioned directly in front of the event horizon and catch it again on the other side. Like the 'food' in 'Prisoners'
                            Couldn't have said it better myself. Green?
                            You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

i pretty sure a jaffa staff weapon power source could power a car for like a year or so
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X