This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do they do it!

This has been bugging me how do the ships go up and down left and right the engine are at the back off the ship and there are no flaps.

so how?

well I guess that their is small thrusthers around the ship or something like that
    sigpic

Comment

they have forward and reverse thrusters.

For up and down, I have no clue maybe the thrusters can make it go up and down.
      Visit my Website

Comment

Magnets.

What?
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

i know that i star trek they had those thrusters that were part of the hull and there were top and bodem holes front and back and the side looked like a triangle.

i did found this about the thruster in star trek:The reaction control system (abbreviated RCS) is a subsystem of a spacecraft. Its purpose is attitude control and steering. An RCS system is capable of providing small amounts of thrust in any desired direction or combination of directions. An RCS is also capable of providing torque to allow control of rotation (flight dynamics, pitch, yaw, and roll). This is contrast to a spacecraft's main engine, which is only capable of providing thrust in one direction, but is much more powerful.

RCS systems often use combinations of large and smaller thrusters, to allow different levels of response from the combination.

Reaction control systems are used:
          for attitude control during re-entry
          for stationkeeping in orbit
          for close space rendezvous/maneuvering during docking procedures
          for control of orientation, or 'pointing the nose' of the craft
          as a backup means of de-orbiting

Comment

Originally posted by genius21 View Post
            i know that i star trek they had those thrusters that were part of the hull and there were top and bodem holes front and back and the side looked like a triangle.

i did found this about the thruster in star trek:The reaction control system (abbreviated RCS) is a subsystem of a spacecraft. Its purpose is attitude control and steering. An RCS system is capable of providing small amounts of thrust in any desired direction or combination of directions. An RCS is also capable of providing torque to allow control of rotation (flight dynamics, pitch, yaw, and roll). This is contrast to a spacecraft's main engine, which is only capable of providing thrust in one direction, but is much more powerful.

RCS systems often use combinations of large and smaller thrusters, to allow different levels of response from the combination.

Reaction control systems are used:
            for attitude control during re-entry
            for stationkeeping in orbit
            for close space rendezvous/maneuvering during docking procedures
            for control of orientation, or 'pointing the nose' of the craft
            as a backup means of de-orbiting
            Nice knowledge of ST Tech. It could be simular to SG Tech on starships, or there is the possibillity of gravimetric drives.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfax View Post
              Nice knowledge of ST Tech. It could be simular to SG Tech on starships, or there is the possibillity of gravimetric drives.
              Gravitics sounds like the most likey options seeing as they do have inertial dampening tech which is quite similar.

I don't know for up and down, but turning would be easy to explain: eacxh ships engines have like middle, right and left engines to some degreee, so turn one way they would just need to increase the thrust from one of the engine (i.e to turn right, more thrust to the left side, vice versa)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by genius21 View Post
                This has been bugging me how do the ships go up and down left and right the engine are at the back off the ship and there are no flaps.

so how?
                That's easy; the wonder of bad writing
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  That's easy; the wonder of bad writing
                  probably
                  Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                  Check out my Flickr

Comment

thanks i found the info on this website :http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal:Technology

on the main page you can choose different categories also science.

Comment

thrusters are my best bet.

Comment

thrusters or magnets, im siding with the later
                        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                          thrusters or magnets, im siding with the later
                          Gravimetric drives are simular to Magnets
                          sigpic

Comment

Directional control can come from the rear thrusters by directing the thrust.
                            As for going up... the Daedalus craft are equipped with landing thrusters (as evidenced by the water spray when landing on Atlantis), going down I am not sure about, directing thrust the upwards would work (according to Newton's Laws on Force) however there is the problem of the hull getting damaged or deflecting the thrust back again.

When do the ships ever go straight down in space anyway?

Comment

My money's on sorcery.

Comment

Working...
                              X