This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate non-sense, please explain.

In the episode Red Sky, the team arrival on a planet cause the sun to turn red. Carter found out later that the reason of that was cause by the wormhole passing through the sun and picked up some heavy element causing it to turn red. Later in that episode they send the heavy element back into the sun by shutting down the gate at a precise time.

Now that last part is where i have a problem ? Since when shutting down the gate have anything to do with the destination ? I mean how often we saw one single person go through the wormhole and have the gate close behind it almost immediatly ?

We see the gate in the SGC, the team go through it and it shuts down, no questions asked. Now in that episode they pretend that they need to wait for a certain period of time for the element to reach a precise destination (the sun) before shutting down the gate ?

It doesnt make sense to me that in all previous episode we see everyone go through the gate, see the gate close immediatly after they went through it and now in that episode they pretend that timing the shutdown will cause the traveller to re-materialize in space ?

Explain this to me cause i don't get it ?

Originally posted by Kaynos View Post
    In the episode Red Sky, the team arrival on a planet cause the sun to turn red. Carter found out later that the reason of that was cause by the wormhole passing through the sun and picked up some heavy element causing it to turn red. Later in that episode they send the heavy element back into the sun by shutting down the gate at a precise time.

Now that last part is where i have a problem ? Since when shutting down the gate have anything to do with the destination ? I mean how often we saw one single person go through the wormhole and have the gate close behind it almost immediatly ?

We see the gate in the SGC, the team go through it and it shuts down, no questions asked. Now in that episode they pretend that they need to wait for a certain period of time for the element to reach a precise destination (the sun) before shutting down the gate ?

It doesnt make sense to me that in all previous episode we see everyone go through the gate, see the gate close immediatly after they went through it and now in that episode they pretend that timing the shutdown will cause the traveller to re-materialize in space ?

It was something they added to the gate's list of abilites is all, like how we learned about the 38 minute cycle in "A Matter of Time". Shutting the gate down before the 3.36 (or whatever it is) second mark (the time it takes to travel) will release whatever's in the wormhole at whatever point it was at when the gate shut down.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

i think theres 2 reason for that
      1) DHD's work differently to Earth's Dialing Computer, and are more sophisticated etc.
      2) Different places take different amount's of time to get to. it's possible it was just a close planet.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        i think theres 2 reason for that
        1) DHD's work differently to Earth's Dialing Computer, and are more sophisticated etc.
        2) Different places take different amount's of time to get to. it's possible it was just a close planet.
        The length of time to travel through the gate is very confusing. It has been said many times that the travel is almost instanteous, yet other times it take a little bit of time. Communication is always real-time, which leads me to believe that there is no delay in travel through the gate, but there may be a processing delay when rematerializing matter.

Comment

I don't really think the writers thought too much into the details of the thing. Best just to accept the way it is and move on. There will always be inconsistencies in SciFi shows, considering all the tech is just made up.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
            The length of time to travel through the gate is very confusing. It has been said many times that the travel is almost instanteous, yet other times it take a little bit of time. Communication is always real-time, which leads me to believe that there is no delay in travel through the gate, but there may be a processing delay when rematerializing matter.
            IMHO you are correct, there is a processing time, think about it-it must take to to rematerialize from the buffers.
            sigpic

Comment

I always chalked it up to different shut down protocals.

The standard travel shut down has certain protocals taht go along with it to keep people "intact". While a manual shut down does it differently.

Comment

I always chalked it up to the fact that it costs them a boat-load of money to create the puddle effect. The sooner they shut down the wormhole, the more money they have for shrimp lunches on set.

Like so many things it has nothing to do with the mythology of the show. It is just a money thing.

Comment

This goes back to Stargate the movie and the first season. In the movie there was a device which shower where the probe was in the galaxy and moved as it traveled. In the first season travel time was elapsed by that "whoosing" animation. Basically they just edit it for time now.

Comment

In reality, it's storytelling, point of fact.

Stargates disintegrate matter and ship it off. The gate on the other side has to reintegrate matter (they mention the reintegration process quite a few times). So if you kill the connection too soon, the matter should still be un-integrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X