This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frak, Frell and Gorram

I was thinking earlier about fictional swear words that sci-fi shows like to use to get away with what we know is swearing without it having to be an adults show. Frak from BSG, Frell from Farscape and Gorram from Firefly are the best examples i could think of.

1, Can anyone think of any others?
    2, What is your favourite?

Personally i like Frell, i think it can be used in more situations than Frak or Gorram, which are sort of replacement or "futurised" words rather than Frell which i feel is more like a fusion of words making a whole new one.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Firefly didn't invent gorram, that one's been around for a long time.

Comment

It has? I never heard it until firefly.

But my point remains,
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Zark is used in AHHGTTG

Comment

Personally I think both BSG and Farscape wore out these words way too much to the point it became difficult to listen to the dialog seriously. Characters just spit these words out way too easily to the point it became laughable, in a very bad way. I hope future shows do not take this cue, or at least understand that it isn't cute, cool, or funny to have these made up words inserted into every conversation. After a while of watching BSG, I get to the point where I wish they never had thought of this as the dialog just becomes unbearably dumb.

Comment

Considering how prevalent the real-world variant of frak is used in conversation (amongst certain individuals/groups), I don't think BSG over-uses the term. Or if they do, it's only because it's a reflection of reality.

Comment

Don't forget "Smeg" from Red Dwarf! I think that word, as much as I like the others (frak, frell), should just win by default, lol.
              Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
              Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
              Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
              --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                Don't forget "Smeg" from Red Dwarf! I think that word, as much as I like the others (frak, frell), should just win by default, lol.
                Yup, definitely a memorable contribution, even if it is a real word.

Comment

Frak is my favourite, followed by Smeg.

Comment

Frell would definitely get my vote. It's my favorite Sci-Fi "swear" word.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                    X