X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About.Com: 2007 Fall Preview: New Sci-Fi / Fantasy Series

From About.Com:

http://scifi.about.com/od/currentsho...review_new.htm

(Photos at the site. Please follow the link for the complete article.)

2007 Fall Preview: New Sci-Fi / Fantasy Series

From Mark Wilson,

Your Guide to Sci-Fi / Fantasy.

Fall TV Preview Part 1: The New Shows

The Fall 2007 premieres are fast approaching – in fact, the first sci-fi show of the new season, Torchwood, debuts this Saturday on BBC America (more on that show to come). The rest of the new shows premiere later in the month and are a real mixed bag: some look fresh and interesting, while a few bear the marks of an ill-omened gestation and painful delivery.

In my overview of the season's new shows I sort out which of the freshmen sci-fi and fantasy shows look promising, including Pushing Daisies; some are real question marks, including NBC's heavily hyped Bionic Woman revamp. Wherever possible I'll give fuller reviews closer to the premiere dates, starting with Torchwood later this week. Two shows originally slated for the Fall season, The Sarah Connor Chronicles (yes, that Sarah Connor) and the much-anticipated New Amsterdam, have been pushed back to midseason, so I'll talk about them then.

Part two of my Fall preview will detail what we can expect from returning shows this season, including Heroes, Smallville, Stargate Atlantis, Supernatural, and more, so stay tuned.

There are a lot of new sci-fi and fantasy series slotted for this year, and the good news is a few of them appear -- at this distance, at any rate -- to have dash of originality or a small twist on the ordinary. That's good news in a season otherwise distinguished by teaming sitcom relics Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton as TV anchors in a retread of that revered classic, Goodnight, Beantown. Seriously, a few of these might be worth watching, but I'll post more informed verdicts soon enough.

1. Torchwood (BBC America; premieres 9/8)
    **snippage**
    2. Chuck (NBC; premieres 9/24)
    **snippage**
    3. Journeyman (NBC; premieres 9/24)
    **snippage**
    4. Reaper (The CW; premieres 9/25)
    **snippage**
    5. Bionic Woman (NBC; premieres 9/26)
    **snippage**
    6. Moonlight (CBS; premieres 9/28)
    **snippage**
    7. Pushing Daisies (ABC; premieres 10/3)
    **snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Reaper is the best.

Pushing Daisies is an adult live action cartoon... yeah I know... I don't think it was as good as it should have been, more so because I'm anal and time things, more than 60 seconds....

The Sarah Connor Chronicles is still the best new show of the season, amazing.

Comment

You've seen the pilots Oreo?

I am somewhat interested in Moonlight and I'm definitely watching out for Bionic Woman and Pushing Daisies. I don't have high hopes for Reaper...it's a wait and see event for me.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I didn't watch Moonlight because Vamphire shows are a dime a dozen now, and just doesn't look good. Journeyman I didn't watch.

BW is so bad i don't think I ever finished it.
        Chuck was better when it was called Jake 2.0.

And the rest I already talked about, but everyone give Reaper a chance, very good, beginning a little slow, but it's a pilot and still good enough to watch, just don't take it to seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel View Post
          You've seen the pilots Oreo?

I am somewhat interested in Moonlight and I'm definitely watching out for Bionic Woman and Pushing Daisies. I don't have high hopes for Reaper...it's a wait and see event for me.
          The original Moonlight pilot was supposedly so abysmal they recast the entire thing except the lead and got new producers. I'd give the new pilot a shot, but it airs the same time as Torchwood here, so I'll skip it.

It's Pushing Daisies (LOVE the promos and preview clips for this, and it looks visually fantastic ) and Bionic Woman for me. And The Sarah Connor Chronicles come new year.

Comment

I plan to give Journeyman a test run too. The Fox series New Amsterdam got pushed to 2008 I heard. It's sad to hear moonlight is already getting flak, I only just heard about it the other day and was kinda scrounging up some hope. I'm, still waiting for something Kindred the Embraced-ish or Forever Knight-ish to break through. I saw one episode of Blood Ties and I wasn't thrilled so I'm still waiting for a good Vampire drama.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel View Post
              I plan to give Journeyman a test run too. The Fox series New Amsterdam got pushed to 2008 I heard. It's sad to hear moonlight is already getting flak, I only just heard about it the other day and was kinda scrounging up some hope. I'm, still waiting for something Kindred the Embraced-ish or Forever Knight-ish to break through. I saw one episode of Blood Ties and I wasn't thrilled so I'm still waiting for a good Vampire drama.
              There's supposed to be a Vampire drama coming to HBO at some point- might not be til next year- created by Alan Ball (Six Feet Under), so it's definitely something to look out for, and I think it stars Anna Paquin, Rogue from the X-Men movies.

Of course those of us who don't get HBO have to wait often years for these shows to come to cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post

It's Pushing Daisies (LOVE the promos and preview clips for this, and it looks visually fantastic ).
                I hope they fixed the CGI, it's really bad in the test pilot, I mean REALLY bad. But I'm not a fan of the way the show is set up anyways, so whatever. lol

And vampires shows are back.... yay.... let's see how fast they fail.

And if Moonlight was THAT bad as a pilot, then why was it even picked up?

Comment

Working...
                X