Save the Asgard! (Spoiler!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the Asgard! (Spoiler!)

In the very last episode the Asgard die when they intentionally destroy their homeworld as they want to make collective suicide because of the cloning problems. As they can't master them and have a life in agony they give humanity their knowledge. And then destroy their homeworld and two attacking Ori ships.
    So my intention is, that this should not be the end of the Asgard. I want to see them again as race in the other series or probably movies. Please join here to save the Asgard. Also to whom a petition can be made to save them? I mean who is to contact?
    A possible solution of that problem:
    The Asgard fear the Ori would soon rule the galaxy. So they decided again to leave their homeworld to another galaxy. But to fool the Ori that they do not follow them they make this show to let everyone believe they're gone. Even the Ta'uri are fooled for the case they loose. Nevertheless because of the strong ties with the Ta'uris they give them (really all???) the technology they had to give them a chance. Once the Ori are beaten the Asgard (can) return.

Save the Asgard!

Adler

Is here no one interested to save the little Greys?

Adler

Comment

I think the Asgard are a cool species, and it's possible that somewhere out there in the multiple universies that there is a planet with them on. It's possible they could have branched out, or even a few escaped the loop.

But if they were brought back, then i feel it would be very difficult, as why bring them back as the little grey men and women when they were quite clearly suffering and dying out? Unless that was all just a cover so they could escape and disappear?

But for me i'd rather them be remembered s heroes and one of the reasons why we defeat the Ori, rather than bring them back and just mess up the whole current plot lines. The only plausable way to bring them back is that the Asgard spanded out in the universe many years ago, and that the original formed Asgard are still living in another universe which is discovered in teh third series [Stargate Universe].
      sigpic

Comment

They're gone. Get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler17 View Post

Adler
          How exactly can they be saved. Not only have they already been killed off but also SG-1 as a series is over. So there is only a movie or whatever to bring them back to the screens.

If SG-1 was renewed then yes by all means. However it's finished & sad as it is, it's pointless bringing them back because of the limited opportunities in which they'd have in future to appear again.

Comment

Adler
            dude if you saw the episode them you would know that the explosion was massive. there gone

rumour has it that possible spoiler for season 4 of SGA

Spoiler:
            there even called back hermiod from Pegasus to be apart of the suicide.

Comment

We should really focus on saving the whales.

Otherwise some big-ass space probe is gonna show up someday and royally f us over.

Comment

What the hell does have wales to do with SG1?!? ST IV is another question.
                However some remarks:
                1. I don't doubt the explosion was big.
                2. There will be a third SG series soon.
                3. Thus there (as well as in SGA) the Asgards could return.
                4. To commit suicide as just now all are dying because of the disease is logically a bit strange. Even if they have problems I can't think about any disease to kill all in a few weeks.
                5. That leaves a big chance they faked it because of the Ori. To start a new life in another galaxy far away. That's why also Hermiod was called back.
                6. This leaves, too, the room for a comeback later, when they admit the fake.
                7. A good topic for the third season might be finding a cure for the Asgard. Perhaps not a main question though.

Adler

Comment

What the hell does have wales to do with SG1?!? ST IV is another question.
                  However some remarks:
                  1. I don't doubt the explosion was big.
                  2. There will be a third SG series soon.
                  3. Thus there (as well as in SGA) the Asgards could return.
                  4. To commit suicide as just now all are dying because of the disease is logically a bit strange. Even if they have problems I can't think about any disease to kill all in a few weeks.
                  5. That leaves a big chance they faked it because of the Ori. To start a new life in another galaxy far away. That's why also Hermiod was called back.
                  6. This leaves, too, the room for a comeback later, when they admit the fake.
                  7. A good topic for the third season might be finding a cure for the Asgard. Perhaps not a main question though.

Adler
                  The reason the Asgard were gone was because the writers wanted something big to go out on. They couldn't kill off the Ori in a single episode. So the only others that could have generated a big impact amongst the fans would have been the Asgard because nearly everybody liked them.

The planet they were on was destroyed, the Ori came out of nowhere & caught them all by surprise, so it couldn't have been faked. Thor wanted them to meet with the high council, but the Ori came & they couldn't even get that done.

Unless the timeline is changed in 'Continuum', then the Asgard will remain dead. I'd love it more than anyone if they could return in Atlantis, but the fact is they are no longer with us.

4. Thor said they were working on the upgrades for at least a year. So chances are it happened back then at the mimimum, since then all their attempts to rectify it have failed & thus they knew they would soon be goners. So spent their time that they had left to give the humans everything that was needed carry on their legacy once they were no longer here.

5. They had weapons which could destroy Ori ships with a few shots. Therefore all they needed to do was install it on all their ships. Which in S8, they had at least 6 O'Neill class warships. With those weapons, they'd eat Ori ships alive. Not to mention the fact that the Ori don't care about IDA, which is why they didn't check the Asgard out in 2 years of being in the MW. If they already found the Asgard, then they would have been the biggest threat to the Ori forces. So would have been the first target of any attack (s). Therefore the Asgard would have no need to fake anything & flee. They had better technology & weapons which could easily defeat the Ori ships.

6. Again, why the need to fake it in the 1st place when they were safe in their home galaxy. While having the weapons to destroy the Ori ships with relative ease.

7. They said in 'Unending' that they didn't have long left, so if they couldn't find a cure for their problems, then if by the time they came back months down the line, they'd be at death's door. So humans wouldn't have anywhere near enough time to suddenly develop a cure that they couldn't find for 1000's of years themselves. If they thought they could be saved, why not place themselves in stasis or even download their minds into computers. Then give themselves to the humans. This way they can work on trying to find a cure to their cloning problems, once they do, they are able to put the Asgard in new healthy bodies & save their race.

In short: They had no need to fake anything because of the Ori, especially since they had uber weapons that could destroy their ships in a few shots. They build 10 warships each armed with these new weapons. Say 5 or whatever Ori ships wouldn't stand a chance. Then the Asgard could also help humans build ships quickly. Soon there would be a force many, many times what the Ori could muster.

Thus they won't have faked their death, the only way to bring them back would be time-travel. Which of course they could do in the 3rd series, but I can't see them killing the Asgard off, then magically bring them back for the 3rd series. It's a new show, with a new cast etc, so it most likely won't have very much if anything that SG-1 had. If it's set in the SGC, in the MW. Then people will be asking why aren't SG-1 in it, why aren't the Jaffa, Lucian Alliance, Goa'uld, Tok'ra, Nox & all the rest in it. 'Universe' will be it's own seperate show, that I'm sure of!

Comment

To be completely honest, killing off the Asgard kind of ruined the show for me. They were my favorite race. If they don't find some way to bring them back, then Stargate will be be one of those shows with "cool ideas" but was never really able to put it all together to be a great show.

I talked about Unending and the Asgard here

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=46242

In that post I listed 4 ways that the Asgard could have survived, any one of the outcomes (or more that I haven't thought of) would bring salvation to a show that has been ruined for me.

-The Asgard we saw on the Earth ship were nothing but clones who had been programmed to act in such a way, the real Asgard minds are currently stored in the Asgard core. For some reason they didn’t tell us this. But we eventually figure this out, and you show us the timeline thousands of years in the future when we figure out the solution to their genetic problem and upload their minds into healthy clones.

-The ancients helped them all ascend right before death.

- The Asgard merely wanted to appear that they had killed themselves. That entire spectacle was nothing more than an act so that the Ori would think they were dead. In fact all they did was travel to a different dimension in order to have time to solve their genetic problem free of outside worries and interference. Eventually they return back to our dimension and in perfect health.

- Again, they faked their death and are now with the Nox in hiding while trying to come up with a solution to their genetic problem. By the way, a scenario involving the Nox could and should be used to bring back the Tollans as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El
                      Besides that, there is NO WAY the Asgard would commit genocide, every species has ingrained in them the "survival instinct", even the Tau'ri in their complete neivity and stupidity, would never commit genocide. It's not in our nature, nor should it be in their's, it goes against all the laws of nature.
                      Uh Humans have been committing (or attempting) genocide for a long, long time. Mass suicide on the other hand, we haven't done so much of, at least not consciously.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El
                        , even the Tau'ri in their complete neivity and stupidity, would never commit genocide. It's not in our nature, .
                        but we have commited genocide, just not on a global scale (obviously). if we never commited it the word wouldn't exist. did you forget about hitler (holocast) and pol pot (cambodian GENOCIDE)...
                        Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                        sigpic

Comment

ya I hated the way the writers killed off the Asgard. 8 years of build up ended in 10mins. If the Asgard were to be killed off they deserve at least a two part episode. But whatever. As for them coming back I just don't see that happening. It would further cheapen their already cheap death. But who knows the Asgard were a space fairing race for a long time. There may be other groups that broke away from the main Asgard civilization and evolved differently there by not developing the sterility problem.

Comment

I meant whole species GENOCIDE, not a select group, the ASGARD are a species are they not. It's not my fault the english language is has more than one meaning for every word, why do people have to be so bloody picky.

All right then, if I had to re-word it for you I will:

The Asgard like anyother species in the universe, would not destroy their entire civilization, there is that CLEAR enough for you.

Probably not...

Let's face it, the Asgard are the best species in the Stargate Universe, with ideals and a cultural mindset which surpasses even the Ancients.

So the Asgard should really be the oldest race in the universe, they act like it, the Ancients don't.

As for the genetic drift, due to over cloning, I laughed my head off when I heard that, because any beings as advanced as the Asgard would have fixed that long ago.

Stem Cells for one.
                            Nanobots for another.
                            THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
                            AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
                            AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

That this was faked, and you had good ideas about that, apc3161, is easily to give reasons for a surviving of the Asgard. It is not touching logic not more than the original mass suicide. Indeed it would make that more logical. Wraithboy, to commit suicide because all clones are dying just now is a bit overstreching the logic. It would be the best they reappeaed in the new series. That would be a good surprise for the fans.
                              That series has to be in the Stargate universe. So I don't know what content it has, what team and so on. But to be interesting it has to play after or in the time of the SG1 movies just made. Also to add Klingons or Cylons won't happen. You have to take also the races of the SG universe so far. This leaves room open for many solutions of this problem. Including that one story arc might be the finding of a cure for the Asgard.
                              Indeed IMO it would be a good trick to revive the Asgard in the new show. Just to make the fans a gift- and a PR bonus.

Adler

Comment

Working...
                              X