Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do mckay's galaxy bridge save power than just two stargates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do mckay's galaxy bridge save power than just two stargates?

we can see that makcy's stargate bridge from our galaxy to atlantis need many stargate ,do ori's also need so many to travel to silver galaxy? or just need enough power? then can we say makcy's galaxy bridge save power than just two stargates?and why?can anyone answer me?
    sigpic

The intergalactic gate bridge is a way to travel between the Pegasus galaxy and the Milky Way. It uses less power than dialling Atlantis directly (which requires a ZedPM) and is faster than travelling by ship.

From the Omnipedia:

Chain of Stargates spanning the 3-million-light-year void between the Milky Way Galaxy and Pegasus Galaxy, allowing time and power-efficient transport between Stargate Command and Atlantis. Seventy Stargates encompass the entire chain.

Developed by Dr. Rodney McKay and Colonel Samantha Carter, the bridge saves three weeks of hyperspace travel time. 34 Stargates, each from the Pegasus and Milky Way gate systems are strategically placed in the void between the galaxies.

A traveler may enter via Stargate Command or Atlantis and a macro written by Dr. McKay commands each individual gate in the chain to forward the energy pattern along the chain until reaching Midway space station.

Once at this station, a traveler need only cross the room and enter the opposite Stargate network, where a similar macro process commences, until he or she is deposited at the opposite end of the chain.

Total travel time is estimated at 30 minutes.

Comment

To travel from the Ori galaxy to the Milky Way, the Ori use a supergate, which according to the Omnipedia uses the power of a blackhole to maintain a connection between the two galaxies. It is possible that the Ori could travel from their home galaxy to the Milky Way in ships but it has been said that it is so far away that supergate travel is the most energy efficient means of covering such a huge distance.

Comment

the key problem is that do mckay's intergalactic gate bridge economize power than just with two stargates which is point to point? i think the two ways take almost the same time. maybe the bridge takes a little more time than the p to p.
        sigpic

Comment

The gate bridge is Atlantis to point to point to point.....to midway station to point to point to point......to SGC. There is no reason it would use any more or less power than the usual A to B gate travel on each stage of the journey. Each step of the journey is essentially arrive at a gate, dial the next one etc.... (although all done automatically by the macro written by McKay) Overall it probably uses a lot more energy, but still a lot less than travelling directly from SGC to Atlantis (with 8 symbol address and ZedPM). It also cuts the travel time from 3 weeks by ship to 30 minutes.

Comment

those stargates can be easily powered with a naq geneartor, you can do that for a A to B between stargate command and atlantis and a regualar stargate can be powered with even a car battery
            sigpic

Comment

i know,thanks
              sigpic

Comment

The article is wrong, there are 34 gates (17 from each galaxy) NOT 70. They are placed 90000 Light years apart.

Vala,

Comment

My question is...is the gate bridge actually possible?

Using the physics of stargates based on the show's own canon, this gate bridge shouldn't work. The basic idea is that each stargate receives your information, stores it, dials the next gate and forwards you. When the gate does this secon dial (to the next gate), it should wipe the buffer crystals (as per episode '48 hours'). Of course, that would all depend on the presence of DHDesque crystals, which would depend on what powers all of these gates, which hasn't really been mentioned in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by captain Qball View Post
                    My question is...is the gate bridge actually possible?

Using the physics of stargates based on the show's own canon, this gate bridge shouldn't work. The basic idea is that each stargate receives your information, stores it, dials the next gate and forwards you. When the gate does this secon dial (to the next gate), it should wipe the buffer crystals (as per episode '48 hours'). Of course, that would all depend on the presence of DHDesque crystals, which would depend on what powers all of these gates, which hasn't really been mentioned in the show.
                    I assume the macro rewrite some of the code temporarily, telling the gate not to wipe the buffer this time through.

Comment

Wait, I thought it was the kawhoosh that wipes the crystals?

I actually didn't understand 48 Hours that much, in this regard.

Comment

I think it's more likely that it is a rewrite of the call forwarding from Anubis' Khalek lab planet. That was written to hold what's stored then forward it on to another gate. So Kawoosh and all... Not 48 hours.

Comment

Working...
                        X