This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard and the Federation

I was thinking earlier today about how the Asgard and the Federation of star trek (TNG Era) have very similar levels of technology, even though the asgard are at least 30,000 years more advanced than us, and were possibly gifted with technology from the ancients at some point, wheras the Federation are only around 500 years ahead of us, and i dont think they were gifted with or have stolen much technology.
    Does this seem odd to anyone else or just me.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

It's impossible to compare technological abilities based on 2 entirely seperate universes.

They both have big ships, shields & energy weapons as well as a transporter.

Asgard can travel between IDA & the MW in a matter of mins. While it takes Federation ships many many years to cross a single quadrant of the MW galaxy.

Their beaming tech is point to point. Whereas Federation transporters aren't.

It's pretty much impossible to compare them, but if I had to, I'd say the SG universe is far more advanced than that of ST.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
      It's impossible to compare technological abilities based on 2 entirely seperate universes.

They both have big ships, shields & energy weapons as well as a transporter.

Asgard can travel between IDA & the MW in a matter of mins. While it takes Federation ships many many years to cross a single quadrant of the MW galaxy.

Their beaming tech is point to point. Whereas Federation transporters aren't.

It's pretty much impossible to compare them, but if I had to, I'd say the SG universe is far more advanced than that of ST.
      In some areas SG is more advanced. The ST universe frequently demonstrates 'technology of the week' which is beyond what races in SG are capable of. Maybe SG is better at most of the basics but if you want really out there tech which doesn't make sense look at star trek lol.
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
        In some areas SG is more advanced. The ST universe frequently demonstrates 'technology of the week' which is beyond what races in SG are capable of. Maybe SG is better at most of the basics but if you want really out there tech which doesn't make sense look at star trek lol.
        I can vouch for that. Used to watch voyager.

Comment

I think the Asgard are far more advance than Starfleet in the TNG era. Like the OP said, these guys have 10s of thousands of years more development time than TNG era trek. They are highly advance in the area of navigation/propulsion that's for sure. Based on their engine tech I think its safe to say their weapons and shield technology are equally advanced. Remember when Thor said that his ship's weapons and sheilds cannot function while the ship is in hyperspace? Now is that a limitation of hyperspace physics or power generation? Federation starships routinely get into fire fights while traveling at warp speed. I don't think this alone indicate ST is more advance.

With that said, imo I think the Asgard have reached a sort of technological plateau. Their focus on extending their cloning technology and their war with the replicators have greatly diminished their capacity for further technological advancement. They are the same people they were when they started their cloning era. If anything the number of minds have decreased due to accidents over time and losses during the war.

Their beaming tech is point to point. Whereas Federation transporters aren't
          To be fair Star Trek does have point to point transporters in the TNG era. I remember the DS9 episode when Sisko and co found that crash landed Dominion ship. They had their runabout crew beam them from their mineral survey site to the crash site directly.

Comment

The only thing I can say is that between SG and ST, ST got the whole travel through the universe right. In real life it would take many years to cross the MW even traveling faster then light but in SG they travel to other galexies in a mater of weeks.
            Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

Originally posted by Asuran View Post
              The only thing I can say is that between SG and ST, ST got the whole travel through the universe right. In real life it would take many years to cross the MW even traveling faster then light but in SG they travel to other galexies in a mater of weeks.
              How does that mean anything? All SG is is faster travel. The Borg could travel great distances across the galaxy in just a few minutes, I think this was VOY: "Endgame" that demonstrated this the best. All you have to do is ramp up the energy available, or change the medium of travel.
              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
              Zatnikitelman

Comment

The difference is in the hyperdrive type. SG uses, for lack of a better term, Wormhole hyperspace travel. ST, and others use lightspeed( or faster than light) travel. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

In ST every few light years there is a habitable planet, which is far more unlikely than traveling to other galaxies.
                  anyway I highly doubt we'll reach Asgard level technology in 500 years.
                  Goauld level maybe, but Asgard at least a thousand.

Comment

I hate when people use that as basis for saying that the Asgard are more advanced than the Federation. Have you considered that hyperdrive may just be inherently faster than warp drive?
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

^^Well, the Asgard also created weapons that could pack a punch similar to a giant mothership slamming into the side of an enemy's at full speed and with their own shields ranged with every shot fired. I'd say their weapons are more than comparable to those of Starfleet too. I'd say the Ancients are more impressive in the shields department though.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                        I was thinking earlier today about how the Asgard and the Federation of star trek (TNG Era) have very similar levels of technology, even though the asgard are at least 30,000 years more advanced than us, and were possibly gifted with technology from the ancients at some point, wheras the Federation are only around 500 years ahead of us, and i dont think they were gifted with or have stolen much technology.
                        Does this seem odd to anyone else or just me.

a lot of the technology used by starfleet is help from the vulcans

sig made courtesy of M2W

Comment

Originally posted by mburrows View Post
                          a lot of the technology used by starfleet is help from the vulcans
                          And the other assorted races of the Federation.
                          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Yeah. And who is to say that the Vulcans didn't get alien tech given to them by someone? And that *that* alien race didn't originally get their tech given to them by someone else?

All we really know about the recent history of the Star Trek universe is that there was some big war a quarter million years ago which destroyed the dominant races in the galaxy (iconians and such). The more recent civs have mostly formed since then. According to one episode of Voyager the Borg are only about a thousand years old. Heh.

In any case though, you can't compare tech between two different universes. It is silly and pointless. They have different rules (when they even BOTHER to have rules).

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                              Yeah. And who is to say that the Vulcans didn't get alien tech given to them by someone? And that *that* alien race didn't originally get their tech given to them by someone else?

All we really know about the recent history of the Star Trek universe is that there was some big war a quarter million years ago which destroyed the dominant races in the galaxy (iconians and such). The more recent civs have mostly formed since then. According to one episode of Voyager the Borg are only about a thousand years old. Heh.

In any case though, you can't compare tech between two different universes. It is silly and pointless. They have different rules (when they even BOTHER to have rules).
                              1. The Borg might be a 1000 years of age but the Borg assimulate that is how they got so advanced.

2. The Vulcans were not all that advanced when they came across the Humans of ST Earth.

3. The Iconians were destroyed by other civs that were jealous of the Iconian time machine.

4. The Misonians were destroyed by thier own war machines (just thought I would mention that about the Misonians).

5. There is another 2 species that killed each other (cant recall the 2 species that killed each other in a great war a 1000 years ago, one even mined an asteroid field that enterprise got trapped in)

That is a little history lesson of ST.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X