Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you satisfied on how they ended SG-1 ? (Spoilers!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you satisfied on how they ended SG-1 ? (Spoilers!!!)

After watching "Unending" and as a religious stargate fan, i felt they ended the show badly. I mean the SG-1 crew got stuck and spent 50 years on a ship and lived happily ever after and continued to do missions through the stargate, Was that the right way to end the very last episode of the show?

I would have liked to see them move forward 5-10 years and address things like did they reveal the program to the world, did the jaffa finally get the freedom they wanted and how the nox faird against the ori things like that.

Although i have to say these are my opinions on the episodes and have to wait for the movies to really fulfill my curiosity
    If i cant remember it, it didnt happen!

You do realize that that 50 years we saw only existed within the time bubble they were in, the 50 years didn't actually happen for the rest of the universe?

Comment

Each to their own but I felt it was a great way to end the show. SG1 has always been about 'the team', and as RCC said in the Unending commentary; "you want the team, here's the team!". 'Unending' had all the elements that make a great ep, conflict, great CGI, tragedy, comedy, drama, etc. It had a bit of everything.

SG1 has also been about the here and now. I don't feel it would have been right to jump ahead a few years and see what happened. That would have been cool but it wouldn't have been SG1's style imo.

And besides, scifi didn't really give them much choice. They wanted an ending, while tptb wanted to end it on a cliffhanger and go into the movies. So under the circumstances I think they did a great job.

Also, I kinda like the idea of SG1's journey never ending. I felt it was fitting that they gave the impression that even though we weren't going to see SG1's adventures anymore, they were still going to continue saving the universe. It was kinda nice Anyway, that's just my opinion.
      sigpic
      By *E*K*R*

Comment

I thought SG1 ended brilliantly.

No matter how I look at it, Dominion to me is the true ending of SG1. While Unending did see the destruction of two Orii ships, us getting Asgard tech/knowledge and the eventual death of the Asgard, only 15 minutes of that episode actually happenened in the end so it's not exactly an ending. While we may have seen the end of SG1 as a series, we've still not seen the end of SG1 as a whole so to me, I'm not exactly satisfied because I dont consider SG1 over.

While Unending in it's entirity was an enjoyable episode, I did like it a lot and for me although it would have been better suited for episode 19 rather than 20. I saw a lot good character development in the episode, but disappointed that in the end it all didn't happen. Over the course of season 10, I did find myself liking Vala and Mitchell and yet in the finale, I liked them a whole lot more only for it to not happen, which was sort of redundant.

So as a finale, I did really enjoy how the show ended with Unending, I just didnt like how it all didn't happen.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen_J_O'Neill View Post
          Each to their own but I felt it was a great way to end the show. SG1 has always been about 'the team', and as RCC said in the Unending commentary; "you want the team, here's the team!". 'Unending' had all the elements that make a great ep, conflict, great CGI, tragedy, comedy, drama, etc. It had a bit of everything.

SG1 has also been about the here and now. I don't feel it would have been right to jump ahead a few years and see what happened. That would have been cool but it wouldn't have been SG1's style imo.

And besides, scifi didn't really give them much choice. They wanted an ending, while tptb wanted to end it on a cliffhanger and go into the movies. So under the circumstances I think they did a great job.

Also, I kinda like the idea of SG1's journey never ending. I felt it was fitting that they gave the impression that even though we weren't going to see SG1's adventures anymore, they were still going to continue saving the universe. It was kinda nice Anyway, that's just my opinion.

The show ended VERY badly. First, skiffy is the PAYING customer and that should have dictated what type of ending the show would need.

Next the team. Just because 5 people are trapped together on a ship for 50 years doesn't make it a team episode. Who was helping Sam solve the problem?

Who was addressing the mental health issues associated with isolation?

We saw Sam alone, Cam having fits and being frustrated. Landry became a gardener and payed chess with Cam. Teal'c was the only person to hold Sam after she saw Landry die.

No one else was at Landry's bedside when he died.

We saw the majority of the episode be about Vala and Daniel's 50 year relationship. Nothing else.

The episode totally destroyed the asgard, not just physically but creditably as well. Mass suicide should NOT have been the answer to their problem. Suicide is NEVER the answer to a problem. In one swift move TPTB sent a message to their young and impressionable viewers that it's better to die then try to fight something you think you cannot win.

If that was the attitude with cancer patients then suicide would be the number one killer in the USA. To me--there is very little difference between the Asgard's problem and a patient who was just told they have cancer and a 10 percent chance of living. (I know 12 people who died of cancer--each and everyone fought for their life.)

Just because a situation seems hopeless doesn't mean it is. There was a number of thing TPTB could have done to "cure" the Asgard including bringing in old allies like the nox.

Next--what kind of ending DOESN"T have Jack O'Neill in it! That's insane! He should have had some sort of appearance for the final--out of respect for the fans and actor--he should have been in it.

The name of the show is "STARGATE-SG1" where is the stargate? We saw them go through the gate once at the very end of the show. Come on--after 2 years of trekking the show they give us one little walk up the catwalk to the gate at the very end of the show. And then have Cam give that stupid speech about how the gate is only way to travel. It's the center piece of the show. It should be the ONLY or main way of travel. Not just thrown in at the last minute as a shallow gesture.

What was the message I got from the very last episode of SG-1 on skiffy:

Suicide is fine if you think you are dying--and it's okay to take out your whole race.

You don't actually have to work on a common goal to be a team.

You don't even have to work together to be a team.

It okay to ignore 8 years of show history in order to remake the show in a different image than what the paying customer wants.

It's okay to misrepresent your product (the theme of the show) to sell it to your customer. Coop stating it's a "team episode because they are on ship for 50 years" is false advertising and misrepresentation of the product. Kind of like stating--"this diet pill will make you loose weight no matter how much you eat." Then fail to inform your customer that they could lose weight and eat more food if they ate vegetables, fruit, breads, meats and dairy providing they followed the food pyramid on a loaf of bread.

It's okay as a "professional" show runner to push the other actors back for an extended period of time in order to get your own favorite couple to the front and center.

Mustn't ever mention former stars again.

Finally, where was Jack?
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Well, it was as much a team episode as any other so called team episodes. Sometimes I wonder what people are talking about when they say team episodes. Very few episodes have ever been *team* episodes. Sure, they had the team members, but it wasn't about team, it was about the individual team members, usually focusing on one or two of the members.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
              Well, it was as much a team episode as any other so called team episodes. Sometimes I wonder what people are talking about when they say team episodes. Very few episodes have ever been *team* episodes. Sure, they had the team members, but it wasn't about team, it was about the individual team members, usually focusing on one or two of the members.

To me a team episode isn't all the characters in the same place but working towards a common goal. Other than the team all being stuck on a ship--there was no actual effort placed into correcting the problem. Sam was stuck trying to fix the mess and she eventually gave up.

The goal of the ending episode--IMHO--should have been finding a better solution for the Asgard. Not the Asgard blowing themselves up and giving us their technology just to have Sam use it to put the ship in a time bubble.

Thor should have verbally faced off against a Prior--better yet, Adria is they didn't have her float away. (another wasted opportunity)

How ironic that the leader of a race that is dying out would debate life after death with a race that has the ability to ascend people at will but chooses not too!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

It okay to ignore 8 years of show history in order to remake the show in a different image than what the paying customer wants.

Finally, where was Jack?

yes on all, especially ^^^.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

No, but I didn't expect any better.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

What purpose would the character O'Neill served in the episode. What would his presense had added to the story?

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
                      What purpose would the character O'Neill served in the episode. What would his presense had added to the story?
                      i don't really care what purpose his character would have added, jack o'neill was THE star of the show for years, so in respect to the character and actor and fans of said character/actor, he should have at least been mentioned.

i used to like this episode more, because i just focused on sam and how certain scenes were filmed. but it was still a very depressing episode. i changed my mind about the ep, though, when i heard the commentary. it was like the final nail for me on an ep i didn't really 'enjoy' anyways. when you really think about the entire premise, it's not a happy one at all. (i have probs with 2010 and moebius for this reason too)

i can think of a lot of different scenarios that could have happened with this last *episode*, without it taking away from the first movie that's going to officially end the s9/10 storyline.

but even if the commentary hadn't have officially done it for me, i still wouldn't have ever watched this ep again because it's just so much of a downer.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        i don't really care what purpose his character would have added, jack o'neill was THE star of the show for years, so in respect to the character and actor and fans of said character/actor, he should have at least been mentioned.

i used to like this episode more, because i just focused on sam and how certain scenes were filmed. but it was still a very depressing episode. i changed my mind about the ep, though, when i heard the commentary. it was like the final nail for me on an ep i didn't really 'enjoy' anyways. when you really think about the entire premise, it's not a happy one at all. (i have probs with 2010 and moebius for this reason too)

i can think of a lot of different scenarios that could have happened with this last *episode*, without it taking away from the first movie that's going to officially end the s9/10 storyline.

but even if the commentary hadn't have officially done it for me, i still wouldn't have ever watched this ep again because it's just so much of a downer.

sally
                        Not only that, but the episode SHOULD have been written as a FINAL episode and not a device driven ep to get Daniel/Vala into bed and Thor's technology.

The basic plot of the episode should have never been written. It not just depressing and hurtful to the fans but nothing more than Cooper's device to end the series for skiffy without having his precious Ori arc spoiled for his DVD movie. (Yes, MGM has such faith in the movie that they won't release it on any other media form...that's a BAD sign guys).

Jack should have been in the series end. The very last episode to be broadcast on American and International TV should have been written with Jack in mind. They should have approached RDA about doing the final when they found they were canceled.

They should have also made some gesture of gratitude to General Hammond and Dr. Fraiser.

The entire episode was garbage to the highest degree!

Not even a mention of Jack. Nothing!

The episode should have been team centered with the gate front and center.

A story about the gate would have been perfect. They could have found the Ancient that made the gate possible. They could have devolved the gate's origins and just how big the network was.

I would liked them to have found the Furlings or bring back the Nox.

Instead--they killed Thor and never even mentioned Jack.

The episode was on par with daytime soaps! Unending should have been named, "As the Gate Turns."

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                          We saw the majority of the episode be about Vala and Daniel's 50 year relationship. Nothing else.
                          Bull. We had a few tiny snippets of Vala trying to get into Danny's pants, and then one long climatic scene for this particular plotline, and then two small scenes later on to catch up on those two 20 and 50 years later. Hardly the whole episode.

What was the message I got from the very last episode of SG-1 on skiffy:

Suicide is fine if you think you are dying--and it's okay to take out your whole race.
                          I think it's quite unusual to compare a real person's battle with cancer with a fictional race that has battled their health problems for thousands of years, trying who knows what to get things done and ended up with absolutely no progress and a single planet's worth of people who's war-worn and whose consciousnesses have literally LIVED for thousands of years. The only similarity is that there is sicknesses involved in both cases; THAT'S IT.

If I've lived for THOUSANDS OF YEARS and for the last while I've been fighting a loosing war with both techno-bugs and failing health, then yes, I think euthanasia's perfectly reasonable option. Don't compare it to a cancer patient, compare it to a person who's lived to a ripe out age and who has lived a full life, and who does not want to spend the last few days of his life in pain and agony. We may still not agree that in this new situation suicide is the right option, but then we'll have to agree to disagree.

You don't actually have to work on a common goal to be a team.
                          Remember that 50 years passed in about 30 minutes. We saw how Vala tried to help and how she didn't really add much except to distract Sam (yes, her solution eventually got it all done, but that's beside the point), which means the others could've offered as well. However, it is clear that nobody had the technological knowhow to match Sam's. All they'll be is a distraction.

I'm not surprised they didn't help her; they couldn't have offered any anyway.

Since you said paying customer = skiffy, I'll need to ask you how you know what they wanted in the ending.

So...how do you know what they wanted in the ending?

It's okay to misrepresent your product (the theme of the show) to sell it to your customer. Coop stating it's a "team episode because they are on ship for 50 years" is false advertising and misrepresentation of the product. Kind of like stating--"this diet pill will make you loose weight no matter how much you eat." Then fail to inform your customer that they could lose weight and eat more food if they ate vegetables, fruit, breads, meats and dairy providing they followed the food pyramid on a loaf of bread.
                          That's a false analogy. Did Coop ever say that the FANS WILL THINK that it's a team ep? I don't think so. All he said was that HE THOUGHT it was a great team episode. I've learned a long time ago to take these OPINIONS of TPTB with a grain of salt. Obviously some fans will disagree with TPTB about the episode, and this is one of those times, in your case. It's not false advertisement.

It's okay as a "professional" show runner to push the other actors back for an extended period of time in order to get your own favorite couple to the front and center.
                          You must be reading between the lines because I saw none of that onscreen. What I did see, however, was development of the one ship that's still viable within the series, as both regulars are still present. The ship was part of the series, just like the Ori storyline or any other plot point. It will, like the others, develop and climax, like in Unending.

Complaining about this is like complaining about how the Replicator storyline was put front and center in "Reckoning" and which pushed all other storylines into the background, or something ridiculous like that.

Mustn't ever mention former stars again.
                          Oh for the love of...do you imagine "Unending" to be just the team reciting the names of ever major guest star on the show? How very boring that would be...

Finally, where was Jack?
                          Fishing...in Malibu.

EDIT 1: But, this is the main complaint, isn't it? From my POV this complaint dwarves all others. Well, I can certainly find reasons why they didn't HAVE Jack there (or any other major guest star); they may not have had time to work out the contracts. Remember how long it took RDA to be signed on for 5 episodes? Unending seemed to have taken only a few weeks from the writing to the shooting. There wasn't enough time, I don't think, for any major guest star to show up.

EDIT 2: I think the point of Unending was to get the main characters some moments to shine (you may disagree with this, but, well, agree to disagree again). That's the reason for the time dilation field, that's the reason for the empty ship. The goal was to see how our characters would change in 20 to 50 years. I think this would've been much more successful if they had 2 hours though.

I'm glad they didn't go all out with huge plot changes (the Asgard thing don't count; it wasn't part of the currently plotline) or huge battles or galaxy-changing events. That would caused the focus to shift to those things instead of to our characters, and that'd be bad. We know that the first movie will be about the Ori; there is no way, in my mind, that the final hour of SG1 can be focused on something as epic as the Ancient Stargate maker or the Furlings without making it super-rushed, which is much more a problem when dealing with plot than characters. A rush job on something as important as those things would've sucked, as they are unlikely to be carried to the movies. On the other hand, seeing our characters, and just our characters face the difficulty they faced in "Unending", even if it was rushed, was not a problem, as we'll see them again in the movies.

Unending is the perfect compromise to a ending brought on by cancellation, IMHO.
                          Last edited by PG15; 31 August 2007, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I was very pleased with how they ended SG-1, as a show. Having the movies to look forward to, I was able to enjoy it even more for what it was. It was great, IMO anyways, for that episode to focus heavily on the team itself.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Bull. We had a few tiny snippets of Vala trying to get into Danny's pants, and then one long climatic scene for this particular plotline, and then two small scenes later on to catch up on those two 20 and 50 years later. Hardly the whole episode.

I think it's quite unusual to compare a real person's battle with cancer with a fictional race that has battled their health problems for thousands of years, trying who knows what to get things done and ended up with absolutely no progress and a single planet's worth of people who's war-worn and whose consciousnesses have literally LIVED for thousands of years. The only similarity is that there is sicknesses involved in both cases; THAT'S IT.

If I've lived for THOUSANDS OF YEARS and for the last while I've been fighting a loosing war with both techno-bugs and failing health, then yes, I think euthanasia's perfectly reasonable option. Don't compare it to a cancer patient, compare it to a person who's lived to a ripe out age and who has lived a full life, and who does not want to spend the last few days of his life in pain and agony. We may still not agree that in this new situation suicide is the right option, but then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Remember that 50 years passed in about 30 minutes. We saw how Vala tried to help and how she didn't really add much except to distract Sam (yes, her solution eventually got it all done, but that's beside the point), which means the others could've offered as well. However, it is clear that nobody had the technological knowhow to match Sam's. All they'll be is a distraction.

I'm not surprised they didn't help her; they couldn't have offered any anyway.

Since you said paying customer = skiffy, I'll need to ask you how you know what they wanted in the ending.

So...how do you know what they wanted in the ending?

That's a false analogy. Did Coop ever say that the FANS WILL THINK that it's a team ep? I don't think so. All he said was that HE THOUGHT it was a great team episode. I've learned a long time ago to take these OPINIONS of TPTB with a grain of salt. Obviously some fans will disagree with TPTB about the episode, and this is one of those times, in your case. It's not false advertisement.

You must be reading between the lines because I saw none of that onscreen. What I did see, however, was development of the one ship that's still viable within the series, as both regulars are still present. The ship was part of the series, just like the Ori storyline or any other plot point. It will, like the others, develop and climax, like in Unending.

Complaining about this is like complaining about how the Replicator storyline was put front and center in "Reckoning" and which pushed all other storylines into the background, or something ridiculous like that.

Oh for the love of...do you imagine "Unending" to be just the team reciting the names of ever major guest star on the show? How very boring that would be...

Fishing...in Malibu.

EDIT 1: But, this is the main complaint, isn't it? From my POV this complaint dwarves all others. Well, I can certainly find reasons why they didn't HAVE Jack there (or any other major guest star); they may not have had time to work out the contracts. Remember how long it took RDA to be signed on for 5 episodes? Unending seemed to have taken only a few weeks from the writing to the shooting. There wasn't enough time, I don't think, for any major guest star to show up.

EDIT 2: I think the point of Unending was to get the main characters some moments to shine (you may disagree with this, but, well, agree to disagree again). That's the reason for the time dilation field, that's the reason for the empty ship. The goal was to see how our characters would change in 20 to 50 years. I think this would've been much more successful if they had 2 hours though.

I'm glad they didn't go all out with huge plot changes (the Asgard thing don't count; it wasn't part of the currently plotline) or huge battles or galaxy-changing events. That would caused the focus to shift to those things instead of to our characters, and that'd be bad. We know that the first movie will be about the Ori; there is no way, in my mind, that the final hour of SG1 can be focused on something as epic as the Ancient Stargate maker or the Furlings without making it super-rushed, which is much more a problem when dealing with plot than characters. A rush job on something as important as those things would've sucked, as they are unlikely to be carried to the movies. On the other hand, seeing our characters, and just our characters face the difficulty they faced in "Unending", even if it was rushed, was not a problem, as we'll see them again in the movies.

Unending is the perfect compromise to a ending brought on by cancellation, IMHO.
                              Ya know--I could argue with you for hours on EVERYTHING you just stated but it would be time consuming and pointless--you loved it--I hated it--let;'s agree to disagree.

PS--I have seen very old people suffer and die--yes, they fight to the last breath FYI. It's human nature to fight--not give up and euthanasias yourself.

The Asgard were fighting for their race to survive--thus they would have the same basic instinct.

Comment

Working...
                              X